“Couples Trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Live Aqua Cancun All Inclusive

Save Saved
You added Live Aqua Cancun All Inclusive to your Saves list
Live Aqua Cancun All Inclusive
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulcan Km. 12.5 Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #2 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Couples Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We ended up having to fly in a day early because of bad weather coming. We tried to get an extra night at Live, come to find they charge $670-some/night when booked without a package. WOW, that was a disappointment. But, after staying a few resorts down at Barcelo Tucancun, I wish I would have paid that rate for the one night. Barcelo was GROSS! Anyway...

Upon arrival (11am-ish), we were immediately greeted with warm welcomes. We were offered iced tea, which was awesome, and a few minutes later a welcome hand massage! Ok, so far so GREAT! One of the rooms was ready - we upgraded from a "reg" balcony ocean "view" to what they classify as a ocean "front," but that was GREAT considering we were WAY before the 3pm check in time. 2 things about the room, it was almost perfect but... the mattress was very hard (typical no matter where you stay) and the bathroom (or walls in general) are very thin and you can hear anything and everything very easily. Other then that, they were wonderful and the view was GORGEOUS! Balcony was very small.

Grounds are very tranquil and well kept, kuddos on that. Nice selection of pools and a hot tub that actually wasn't overly hot, so we used it a few times. You DO have to "play" the towel game, which is BEYOND annoying and irritating. I really wish resort across the board would just say if you're absent from your chair for more then 15 mins (and clearly just reserving), its no longer your chair. We did get our spot "stolen" once, but after talking to the pool staff, they brought other chairs in another area. We ended up "stealing" someone else's free cabana bed one morning. They were pissed when they finally showed up 45 mins later, but that's just too bad. I'm assertive enough to just tell them, to little too late. Putting a towel on a chair and then trying to come back 2 hours later to occupy is just ridiculous, in my opinion. Side bar, the "beds" over by the "swim up pool" are free of charge, first come first served. All other cabanas are a fee $90 after tax/day and come with a TOTAL of a 20 min foot massage, NOT 25 min/per person like we were told.

The beach was BEAUTIFUL! Groomed each morning and almost 100% free of seaweed, very soft white sand... and the ocean, OMG, that ocean... its right out of a post card. I would just sit and stare all day. Lovely! BTW, if you can't find chairs by the pool, there were always some available on the beach. And, make sure to find the bar down on the beach with the swings. Very nice touch.

The food was, I would say, good to very good. Its an all-inclusive resort, I don't expect perfection. Siete was the buffet spot, I only ate there for breakfast, but it was good and clean. Wait staff was great, maybe a tinch on the slow side, but it was pleasant. We ate at Azur once, that's half buffet and half menu ordering - we ate here once for lunch. It was good, decent variety. But, we found Sea Corner the first day and we immediately HOOKED! The shrimp tacos, to die for, and the chiveches were yummy! And, get the "popcorn" if you like "deep fried" seafood... ugh, so good!!!! That was lunch every other day! We ate at Hidden Garden one night to try it out, major disappointment. There was a 45 min wait, and then the service was BEYOND slow and the food was sub-par at best. MD was the "fancier" choice and this is where you will get the popular Habinero soup... Absolutely AWESOME, get the soup!!!!! Portions are small, order two things right off the bat so you don't have to wait around to be served twice! Filet was tough, eh pretty typical. Shrimp was great, but you only get 3. Overall, very nice atmosphere and good service. We also had the sushi before each dinner, not "great" by my standards, but still a nice touch to have with a before dinner drink.

Pool table was a nice added feature. Cafe to get coffees was great, since the room coffee and maker was BLAH. Live, trade up and get Keurig's, PLEASE! :) The beach bags and flip flops are also added details.

I really disliked how everything is shown and charged in pesos. The bill at check out was in Spanish and pesos, which made it very confusing. That made deciphering whether the bill was really accurate, difficult at best. I would at least give the option of showing everything in English/dollars.

Overall, very nice! I stayed at Now Sapphire (Riviera Maya) which I would say was very comparable to LIVE Aqua, except that resort was kid friendly and I'll never make that mistake again. When I travel away from the kids, I do NOT want to listen to other peoples' kid scream. Adults only is the way to go for a romantic retreat and you will be very happy with choosing LIVE Aqua. We're already planning next winter's get away back to LIVE!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 8022 and the couple we traveled with were in 8020, so 8th floor. Amazing ocean view...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Alfredo S, General Manager at Live Aqua Cancun All Inclusive, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Allow me to take this opportunity to express my gratitude for sharing your review, it’s a pleasure to know that this experience was a very positive one, highlighted by our great service and selection of food.

Regarding the "towel game" at the pool area, I assure you that we are doing our best to discourage guests to reserve the chairs without use them for a long time. Despite our efforts, much depends on the respect that people have for others.

Thank you again for all your kind comments and suggestions. We are looking forward to your next visit, do not hesitate to contact us for any pre-arrival arrangement.

Alfredo Santamaria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,480)
  • Korean first
Porto Alegre, RS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I stayed at Live Aqua with my family from February 10th to 19th.

From day 1 I realized I was in a special place. The service was fantastic. The entire staff works relentlessly 24/7 to satisfy guests' needs. They are all very very kind and make every guest feel entirely at home. We made friends with several staff members and even asked to take pictures with them, so we could remember those great friends who made us feel at home.

Special mentions:

Chefs Joaquin and Javier from Restaurante Siete - Amazing meals. Fantastic presentation. They don't serve meals: they serve art.

Waiter Mauricio from Azur Lunch - One of the biggest friends we made there. He knew us so well already that we didn't even have to order anything: we would simply sit there and he would just bring us our favorite dishes for lunch. Fantastic service.

Waiter Antonio from Restaurante Siete - he served us the fantastic meals prepared by the Chefs at Restaurante Siete. Great service. Always ready to serve us with a friendly smile.

Cristhian from the pool area - always ready to help us on the pool area. Helped us find good spots to sit, helped us with towels, snacks and drinks, everything! This guy is great!

Bartender Fiorentino - very skillful bartender! Improvised many drinks based on my crazy requests. And they all tasted fantastic.

I recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
It is with great pleasure I read how our staff exceeded your expectations by taking care of your needs at all times; thank you for sharing the details of what made your stay so memorable and mentioning the names of every team member who made every effort to ensure that you wouldn’t want to leave our hotel, this kind of recognition are always welcome with great enthusiasm by every staff member, as it is our inspiration for success and new achievements. I have already congratulated the members of our staff that you mentioned.

We appreciate your review and recommendations, we will be looking forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home, ready to make every effort to provide you with another pleasurable experience.

Plainwell, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

we have stayed at the live aqua last year and just loved it so we wanted to go back again so we took along family members . we were told that if we returned again we would get a deal on a better room ( last year we had a great room ) this year we had the room 1209 the worst room in the hotel it was so loud it would wake you up all times of the night from maintnance cleaning the hall ( moveing benches ) to hamering down the new carpet in the bar.the noise just bad one day we came back to our room to find water pouring in from some where above on our balcony ? we did go to front desk and the noise stoped for two days ! they said the hotel was full so no better rooms but they did offer to move us to diffrent room on same floor i felt it would be the same so we stayed put. i don't thank we will be back again ! the staff wsa great as always , and we like this hotel very much this was our 20th year going to mexico I thought we found are hotel to go every year ? maybe not!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review. While I am very happy to read your positive comments, I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you had during your stay. I assure you that the circumstances you described are not typical with the high standards that we strive to provide. We take pride in creating memorable experiences for our guests; to hear what you went through is completely unacceptable. Our Guest Service Manager have received your feedback and we are working on improvements that will allow us to meet all the expectations of our guests.

Hopefully you will give us an opportunity to host you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will personally make sure your next visit with us will be without any incidents.

Newport, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

My girlfriend and I (in our 40's) travel a bunch for work so we were just looking forward to a week of unwinding and relaxing. We did a lot of research and read most every review on the top all inclusives in Cancun. We could not be happier with our selection of this property. When you are booking an all inclusive, all resorts have pools, bars and beaches. What seperates Live Aqua from the rest is the food and the service. They truly treat all their guests like VIP's and by interacting with the chefs, pool attendants, servers, etc, we were able to do more at this resort than any other all inclusive we have been to.

Was everything perfect? No, but the little inconveniences such as an elevator being out were not nearly enough to put a damper on the week. We found the drinks were a little weak so we just asked for doubles all week and they were comparable to the US. We would also make sure to ask for our favorite vodka or rum to assure we were not being served the house brands.

Thanks to everyone like Alba our chambermaid who delighted us with her designs on our bed and to the pool staff of Octavio, Violetta, and Katerine(sp?). They were interactive but not intrusive and happy to help us with any spa scheduling or restaurant scheduling we needed.
They are a real asset to Live Aqua. We had multiple servers at the pool and they were all fantastic. I know tipping is not required but these people are fantastic and by throwing them a few dollars here and there, we insured that we were never forgotten. Thanks to David at the front desk for assuring a smooth arrival and treating us as great as he did. I have read other reviews complaining about aggressive marketers at the pool. We had one brief conversation and said we would be back in touch if we wanted to pursue further. I hardly call that aggressive.

Finally, what i think is the best part of Live Aqua is Chef Erik and his staff. This guy seemed to be everywhere. He invited us to MB to cook for us and we were so appreciative and I hope he realized that. He then introduced us to Chef Alex at Hidden Garden where we had 3 sensational meals. We met Erik another morning at breakfast and he introduced us to Javier at Siete.This is a true networking experience and we were happy to interact with the chefs and their staffs. This was a great part of our experience at Live Aqua and I hope they don't change as their passion for cooking and their guests is greatly appreciated.We did upgrade to the Lobster Grill on our last night as it was Valentine's Day. The meal was amazing and the chef came over to make sure everything was up to our standards.It was and thank you for the fantastic grilled lobster tails! I do feel they could upgrade some of the tables and the flooring in this restaurant. If this is a surcharge restaurant, the facilities should be to the same standard as the food. This is a small fix and hopefully something that can be rectified.

TIPS-
*Bring $100 in one dollar bills or alot of $5's. The level of service at Live Aqua is incredible. Service people in the US could learn a few things from the servers at the resort.
*Make sure you bring enough sunscreen. Resort lotion and aloe can be pretty pricey
*Bring a hot/cool mug. We had two of them and we constantly had ice water all day long as a bottle of water gets warm in a hurry.
*Both the pool and beach are fantastic. Be sure to try a couple of days at each.
*Wireless is spotty. It worked better in off hours for me.Much better in the room than downstairs or by the pool.
*Not much evening entertainment at the property but we were fine with that. Downtown Cancun is only a short ride away.
*There are beautiful sunsets but they are on the frontside of the property. They can be seen from the 5th floor club or you can walk across the street to La Isla Mall and they have an area where everyone congregates for sunset,

Thanks again to everyone for a great week and I hope you are all there when we return next year!

Room Tip: We ugraded to an Aqua Suite. We were there for 8 days so having the extra space really came in handy...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Alfredo S, General Manager at Live Aqua Cancun All Inclusive, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay in Live Aqua Cancun. We're happy to hear we exceeded your expectations and we were able to provide a fantastic stay for you. We strive to distinguish our service by giving importance to little details and anticipation of our guests’ needs and desires and it's wonderful to know that it made your vacation a truly unique experience.

We are looking forward to welcome you back on many future occasions, which we will be happy to make very special for you.

cornwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed at the LA for 14 nights in February we had a 10hour flight from London and the check in was very smooth with David M who quickly allocated our room
The food at the LA was excellent in all the restaurants we did meet Eric on our last day who is committed to his staff and his role as head chief at the Mb (you must try the HB soup) all the staff are fantastic far to many to mentioned however they all just endeavour to ensure you as the customer enjoy your stay. They are the most helpful staff we have met on our many trips to Mexico. This is defiantly a hotel that we would return to. If you are thinking about the LA just do it and you won't be disappointed. We also met some great people during our stay.

Graham & Patricia

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
We all at Live Aqua Cancun are delighted to know that you had such a great and memorable time staying with us and enjoyed everything, from the food, drinks, and especially the service from all of our staff.

We will be looking forward to your next visit, do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

This was our 3rd trip to Live Aqua and the best stay to date. Our stay was from January 22nd - 28th. During that time we had a blast. The first couple of years we thought that the service was amazing and this year it seemed to be better yet! Now I must confess that we have made friends with some hotel staff and some remembered our group from previous years so at times we did get preferential treatment.

Meals: Breakfast at Siete is absolutely wonderful with the variety to choose from it is very hard going back to my cereal and yogurt daily grind. Tacos in the morning, are you kidding me? Yes please! Our first morning at Siete I recognized chef Eric who just happened to be seating us and later that night he had champagne and chocolate covered strawberry's sent to our room. Lunch at Sea Corner offers an all seafood menu that is superb. Two years ago I had no idea what ceviche was and now I can't get enough. Their seafood tacos are fabulous as well. If you are looking for a few more options for lunch you can hit Azure and either eat the buffet or order off the menu or both. The food is great either way. For Dinner we like Azure or MB. Azure when it is warmer out has a nice atmosphere with great food to boot. If you are a mussel fan ask for the parmesan mussels here. They are not on the menu but excellente! MB is a resort dress restaurant that has a great 4 course meal selection. One of the nights we ate there they had a piano player who was gladly taking our requests. I apologize if you heard us singing, Chris was out of tune! Lastly the room service was great as well we were able to get whatever we needed and quickly.

Service: If there were one negative it would be the check in process if you do not have the Aqua Club. Being taken to the Aqua Club the last two years to check in and have drinks , appetizers and massages while you wait cannot be beat. Emanuelle at Azure was literally running around to serve all the tables that he was responsible for. Our friend Oscar took care of us several times and made our stay wonderful. Bartender service was quick and often times they had our drinks ready before we could get to the bar. Bartenders and servers do not ask for tips or make you feel like you should be tipping them.

Pools: The pools are all different temperatures which is great on the hot days when the swim up bar was too warm. The views from the infinity pool are awesome.

Rooms: We have had ocean front rooms and a garden view room and honestly we are not in our rooms enough to care either way. The views from the ocean front were beautiful but I still enjoyed the view from our garden view room this year. The rooms are all laid out pretty much the same but others have a little more real estate.

Room Tip: 1st year we had an ocean front room on the 6th floor, Amazing views of the property! 2nd year we ha...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for this detailed and wonderful review. It’s a pleasure to know that this experience was a very positive one, highlighted by our great service and selection of food. For us is really important your feedback and is heart warming to realize that our dedication is in the right path, as our goal is not only to make our guests return but to make them feel more comfortable each time and to notice the improvements in our services.

Thank you again for all your kind comments. We are looking forward to your next visit, do not hesitate to contact us for any pre-arrival arrangement.

Burnsville, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I cannot say enough good things about our stay at Live Aqua. The hotel staff was very friendly and made you feel like you were at home. The resort itself was very clean and new. The bed was very comfortable. You are greeted with a hand massage and tea, how wonderful is that. I cannot wait to return here again. The food was excellent. You must try the Cream of Habenero soup at the MB restaurant. The beach and pools were wonderful. There was shopping right across the street as well which made buying souvineers very convenient. This is a must stay place.

Room Tip: We didnt get a waterfront view. We got a garden view, which was much cheaper but we still had a part...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to sharing your review, words can't express what it means to us knowing that you felt as home at our resort. This is exactly the way we see our guests, and this is the only way we want you to feel while being our guest. I'm very grateful for your comments about work of our team members; let me assure you that this kind of recognition has a very special meaning to us as a team.

We all are looking forward to this special honor of welcome you back to Live Aqua Cancun.

Alfredo Santamaría

Been to Live Aqua Cancun All Inclusive? Share your experiences!