We ended up having to fly in a day early because of bad weather coming. We tried to get an extra night at Live, come to find they charge $670-some/night when booked without a package. WOW, that was a disappointment. But, after staying a few resorts down at Barcelo Tucancun, I wish I would have paid that rate for the one night. Barcelo was GROSS! Anyway...
Upon arrival (11am-ish), we were immediately greeted with warm welcomes. We were offered iced tea, which was awesome, and a few minutes later a welcome hand massage! Ok, so far so GREAT! One of the rooms was ready - we upgraded from a "reg" balcony ocean "view" to what they classify as a ocean "front," but that was GREAT considering we were WAY before the 3pm check in time. 2 things about the room, it was almost perfect but... the mattress was very hard (typical no matter where you stay) and the bathroom (or walls in general) are very thin and you can hear anything and everything very easily. Other then that, they were wonderful and the view was GORGEOUS! Balcony was very small.
Grounds are very tranquil and well kept, kuddos on that. Nice selection of pools and a hot tub that actually wasn't overly hot, so we used it a few times. You DO have to "play" the towel game, which is BEYOND annoying and irritating. I really wish resort across the board would just say if you're absent from your chair for more then 15 mins (and clearly just reserving), its no longer your chair. We did get our spot "stolen" once, but after talking to the pool staff, they brought other chairs in another area. We ended up "stealing" someone else's free cabana bed one morning. They were pissed when they finally showed up 45 mins later, but that's just too bad. I'm assertive enough to just tell them, to little too late. Putting a towel on a chair and then trying to come back 2 hours later to occupy is just ridiculous, in my opinion. Side bar, the "beds" over by the "swim up pool" are free of charge, first come first served. All other cabanas are a fee $90 after tax/day and come with a TOTAL of a 20 min foot massage, NOT 25 min/per person like we were told.
The beach was BEAUTIFUL! Groomed each morning and almost 100% free of seaweed, very soft white sand... and the ocean, OMG, that ocean... its right out of a post card. I would just sit and stare all day. Lovely! BTW, if you can't find chairs by the pool, there were always some available on the beach. And, make sure to find the bar down on the beach with the swings. Very nice touch.
The food was, I would say, good to very good. Its an all-inclusive resort, I don't expect perfection. Siete was the buffet spot, I only ate there for breakfast, but it was good and clean. Wait staff was great, maybe a tinch on the slow side, but it was pleasant. We ate at Azur once, that's half buffet and half menu ordering - we ate here once for lunch. It was good, decent variety. But, we found Sea Corner the first day and we immediately HOOKED! The shrimp tacos, to die for, and the chiveches were yummy! And, get the "popcorn" if you like "deep fried" seafood... ugh, so good!!!! That was lunch every other day! We ate at Hidden Garden one night to try it out, major disappointment. There was a 45 min wait, and then the service was BEYOND slow and the food was sub-par at best. MD was the "fancier" choice and this is where you will get the popular Habinero soup... Absolutely AWESOME, get the soup!!!!! Portions are small, order two things right off the bat so you don't have to wait around to be served twice! Filet was tough, eh pretty typical. Shrimp was great, but you only get 3. Overall, very nice atmosphere and good service. We also had the sushi before each dinner, not "great" by my standards, but still a nice touch to have with a before dinner drink.
Pool table was a nice added feature. Cafe to get coffees was great, since the room coffee and maker was BLAH. Live, trade up and get Keurig's, PLEASE! :) The beach bags and flip flops are also added details.
I really disliked how everything is shown and charged in pesos. The bill at check out was in Spanish and pesos, which made it very confusing. That made deciphering whether the bill was really accurate, difficult at best. I would at least give the option of showing everything in English/dollars.
Overall, very nice! I stayed at Now Sapphire (Riviera Maya) which I would say was very comparable to LIVE Aqua, except that resort was kid friendly and I'll never make that mistake again. When I travel away from the kids, I do NOT want to listen to other peoples' kid scream. Adults only is the way to go for a romantic retreat and you will be very happy with choosing LIVE Aqua. We're already planning next winter's get away back to LIVE!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Live Aqua Cancun, a welcoming place, where being is the first part of feeling. Your senses work together. It's a prism of colors, eclectic rhythms, and seductive details. Enjoy the fusion of idyllic days and energizing nights. It is a monument to your arrival to this Cancun Spa Resort. This sophisticated beachfront resort lies along white sand beaches, across the street from La Isla Shopping Mall and walking distance from some of the best restaurants and shopping malls in the city. Exotic drinks, barefoot luxury and activities overlooking the resort's 8 infinity pools are just part of the exquisite details within our All Inclusive concept. Music worships you at every step, with changes in rhythms that match the emotions you feel and the space around you. The sound is never the same, but always relaxing, exciting and harmonic. Arriving, leaving, just belonging makes you sigh with peace. The Aqua aroma seeps into every nook and cranny up to the sky, down to the sea. Return to yourself. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Booking.com, Amex, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Hotel.de, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Live Aqua Cancun All Inclusive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Live Aqua Cancun All Inclusive Hotel Cancun
- Cancun Aqua Hotel
- Aqua Hotel Cancun
- Fiesta Americana Grand Aqua