LIVE AQUA - I don't get it!
I wish that I could report that our stay over New Year's eve at Live Aqua was as positive as other reviewers, but we did not have a good experience. Maybe it's because it was during New Years and maybe they needed to cut some corners? While the grounds are well kept, the rooms clean, and facilities modern, we found the food, service, and attention to detail to be mediocre at best and definitely not worthy of a luxury rating. We will not be back, nor will we recommend this hotel to friends. Given the many options in Cancun, there are other hotels that provide a higher caliber of service and quality for the same price point.
This was the most disappointing aspect of Live Aqua and the biggest deal breaker for us. The restaurants all serve the same kind of food. Plenty of meat, chicken, fish, and veggie dishes nicely presented but usually in a bland, overly salted sauce or marinade that lacks flavor or uniqueness. After trying most of the restaurants, we settled on the remainder of our meals at "Siete" buffet which resembled slightly higher end, mass produced, cafeteria food. True there was something for everyone, but even the pizza tasted like microwaved cardboard. (How can you screw up pizza?) The breakfast options were plentiful including an omelette station, but the eggs tasted funny, as if they were powdered or from a mix or carton. Waffles, French toast and pancakes were all stale, and pastries didn't seem fresh. Even the coffee tasted funny. None of the prepared dishes really tasted like they should have. There was plenty of fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal cheese and bread to satisfy.
Lunch options are also plentiful, but nothing was flavorful/fresh. Even the hamburgers and french fries at the pool were over processed and bland. Fish tacos on the beach were a great novelty, but not particularly special or unique. Aqua gets a POOR rating when it comes to food. Even as I type this on the plane ride home, my stomach is churning.
It was a total waste of money to upgrade to the club level since we didn't elect to get a suite. You get nothing other than a guaranteed room on a higher floor (5th floor or higher) and access to an "exclusive" room with appetizers and drinks that, in truth, could be obtained at any other location in the hotel. There were some premium beverages available there (Kettle One, etc) so if you're a finicky drinker, you might appreciate this upgrade. The appetizers were served on fancy spoons and had great presentation, but they were not very appealing. In short, skip the Club upgrade. It's not worth it.
It's terrible, inconsistent and unreliable. We complained to the concierge, and it seemed like they were accustom to the complaint. It did not improve.
POOL and BEACH
The grounds are immaculate and beautiful and I suppose this is the best part of the hotel. There are several pools and each is maintained at a different temperature which is nice. There is plenty of room to swim around and you don't feel like you're on top of the other guests. The problem is that there is a major shortage of chairs and "beach beds" and if you travel during peak season (like we did) you will have to get up very early to get them. By 6:30am most of the chairs were taken. In my opinion, guests should be guaranteed beach chairs. This isn't the case. The gazebo beds are available for rent ($60) which I found to be a rip off.
For the most part, the staff is very friendly and willing to help, but the service is not efficient, including on the Club level. They were unable to make reservations for us for the New Years dinner which seemed like a simple request thus we missed the cut off and had to eat at the buffet. We also had requested our room be cleaned in the morning rather than afternoon which never happened. They are unable to print boarding passes at the Club Concierge. All these are minor requests that aren't a big deal, but its just an example of how even the small requests failed to get honored. The irony of their "your wish, my wish" slogan is laughable and was the running joke of the trip.
Well appointed, though small compared to the other hotels at which we've stayed. The bathroom has a nice rain shower and separate bathtub. Plenty of hot water. The fridge is under stocked with a few soft drinks, a few cans of beer, and a bag of potato chips. This pales in comparison to the other all-inclusives we've stayed at that have more variety and quality. The bed is very comfortable!
Adequate, though since we stayed during peak season, it was difficult to get a treadmill in the morning (15 minute wait). The chlorophyll water was a nice touch.
This is not a bad hotel, but given that they pride themselves as being a luxury resort, they fail miserably and it is incredibly misleading. Since it gets such a high rating on Trip Advisor I expected more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Live Aqua Cancun, a welcoming place, where being is the first part of feeling. Your senses work together. It's a prism of colors, eclectic rhythms, and seductive details. Enjoy the fusion of idyllic days and energizing nights. It is a monument to your arrival to this Cancun Spa Resort. This sophisticated beachfront resort lies along white sand beaches, across the street from La Isla Shopping Mall and walking distance from some of the best restaurants and shopping malls in the city. Exotic drinks, barefoot luxury and activities overlooking the resort's 8 infiniti pools are just part of the exquisite details within our All Inclusive concept. Music worships you at every step, with changes in rhythms that match the emotions you feel and the space around you. The sound is never the same, but always relaxing, exciting and harmonic. Arriving, leaving, just belonging makes you sigh with peace. The Aqua aroma seeps into every nook and cranny up to the sky, down to the sea. Return to yourself. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Amex, getaroom.com, HotelTravel.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Hotel.de, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Live Aqua Cancun All Inclusive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Live Aqua Cancun All Inclusive Hotel Cancun
- Cancun Aqua Hotel
- Aqua Hotel Cancun
- Fiesta Americana Grand Aqua