“The only negative thing to say is I had to leave!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Live Aqua Cancun All Inclusive

You added Live Aqua Cancun All Inclusive to your Saves list
Live Aqua Cancun All Inclusive
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulcan Km. 12.5 Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #2 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Edmonton, Canada
“The only negative thing to say is I had to leave!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

We stayed at the Live Aqua during the last week of March, 2011. I was there with my husband and another couple. We couldn't believe the resort upon checking in- it's beautiful, very spa like, and exudes luxury. We had heard that the check-in process was long, but it was only 15 minutes- once you get your room keys, the concierge talks to you about the services available (restaurants, spa, gym, etc) and lets you know they are there to help. Always nice to know.

We were in an oceanview room, which meant we were in one of the corners. It gave us a great view of the resort and beach and ocean, and I think our balcony was a bit bigger that the ocean front rooms. We also got a bit of afternoon sun which was nice. We had a big closet with a safe, ironing board, beach bag, flip flops. A bathroom with a big tub with a view to the ocean (through a window, which was odd at first and cool later on), a big shower, and nice fixtures. There were lots of drawers to put clothes away, a table and chairs, a wing chair and ottoman, and of course, patio furniture. Beautiful, modern room!

The service at this resort couldn't be better. There were always towels, the staff bent over backwards to make us happy and comfortable, and everyone was cheerful, friendly, and helpful. There were always beach chairs to be found, and this resort didn't seem to have the "saved chair" problem where people put towels and books on chairs and then disappear for the day. The pools were amazing- different temperatures, and the infinity pools looked out over the ocean- it was awesome!!

There are a few restaurants, the one you need reservations for is MB. We went, and the food was good. Very gourmet. Because of the hype and the prestige of having an Iron Chef, the food comes out slowly. Just so you know!! The other restaurants, Siete (the buffet) and Azul (the restaurant off the pools by the beach) were also excellent. We didn't wait in line all week which was great!

The ocean was a bit rough- it was red flag days every day, but there was always a lifeguard on duty and you could wade in and let the waves beat you for a few minutes!

As for nightlife, we hung out at Egos one night (the sort of night bar off the lobby). It was all inclusive as well and had some fine scotches which my husband enjoyed. Other than that the resort was quiet. The pools are open late, but there aren't too many people in them. There is a club down the street, I noticed, and I'm sure the concierge would be able to recommend somewhere for you to go.

One cool feature of the resort is the parrots- they hang out with their trainers, and fly around the resort squawking- very endearing!

All in all, this is an amazing place to spend your vacation, and you won't be disappointed. We will go back again and again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,581)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

Travelled to Cancun,arriving at airport on 3/30.We had prearranged a transport with Grey Line for a ride to Live Aqua due to the 15 minute guarantee they advertise.After a 45 minute wait in the heat and exhaust fumes we were finally on our way.We were quickly checked in and assigned to an upgrade-a suite in lieu of an ocean front terrace for no difference in price.They stated the hotel was fully booked,but it never felt it.Unfortunately we were never told we had access to the 5th floor lounge and that cabanas were available to us by the pool and on the beach.We learned about the cabanas on our final day when we went to rent one.The pools were never crowded and are fantastic.The beach is beautiful and clean,but the surf was rough and the red flags were up.The gym is great and they are getting even more equipment and machines. Food was very good and the buffet is very nice for breakfast. Room service was very fast and the menu has a nice selection.Our suite on the 9th floor was amazing with a great bed, plenty of space and a beautiful view of the pools and beach.Our second night about 4am we were awakened by a couple fighting angrily in the hallway.Thank you Megan for disturbing us.What Megan could have been so upset about in this spectacular hotel was a mystery to us.I think it may have been that she was flagged from a bar.Do tip your drink servers at the pool and beach as they work very hard as you will see. Now we were sad to leave ,but we had met Ricardo at B-On in the hotel days earlier.He works for Grey Line and arranged for our 11am ride to airport.At 1115 we were still waiting, so I found Ricardo who told us our ride was due in"5 minutes" . This went on for 45 minutes until our "11am" ride arrived.We then experienced a ride to the airport that rivaled The French Connection.Never again Grey LIne.We will return in the fall,knowing a little more of what to expect at a fantastic all inclusive.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Hailey, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

We too had to wait for our room to be ready upon our arrival. The hotel and rooms were very nice but unlike most inclusive hotels, this one did not bracelet you. What happened instead, was you had to wait to sign a check for your meal, which also had a space for the tip. Everyday we had to call housekeeping to get our daily allotment of coffee, water and snacks and we stayed for 8 days. I can eat anything but after having the same thing in the buffet day 3 I had enough. Live had the best fitness center.

Room Tip: all have an ocean view
Edmonton, AB, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

We stayed at Aqua from March 25th thru April 2cond. It was, by far, the nicest all inclusive we have experienced to date and we are planning to return later this year

ROOMS - we had an "oceanview" room which overlooked the grounds, beach and ocean. As ithese rooms are on an angle they seem to have slightly larger balconeys then the "Oceanfront" rooms. The room was ample sized and well appointed. For the first few days we found new surprises in the room...a mini zen garden, an incence burner, a little "gong", flip flops. The room has a safe with ample size for laptops and even has an interior electrical outlet for charging. The room had wifi. a well stocked , frequently replenished mini bar, and modern decor. The room was spotless and the maid service kept it spotless throughout our stay. During tuen down service they would bring your choice of aromatherapy to put in the rooms diffuser if you so desire...I don't care much for this kind of thing but my wife did.

FOOD - for food there are five options, the buffet (Siete), the oceanfront restuarant (Azur), the gourmet restuarant (MB), the bars had a menu for pool/beach dining, and room service has a unique menu and was included in the all inclusive. The food in Siete was excellent and they rotate themes each evening (mexican, italian, seafood etc.). Siete is the only restuarant open for breakfast where they had varied selections and fresh pastries each morning. Azul offers a mediterrian menu and features a chef from the mexican equivalent of the iron chef and also has excellent food but with a somewhat limited menu. If you are a foody you may enjoy MB, I am not but tried it once (no problem getting a reservation for my stay, was offered two). MB has a very nice ambience, great service but I am not really into fine dining so for me sampling it once was enough. We had room service several times and it always was hot and arrived quickly (within 1/2 hour). The room service menu is extensive and includes things like filet mignon and creme brulee. Worth noting is that I never had to wait more then a few seconds for a table in any restuarant even though the hotel was full the latter part of our stay.

LOCATION - location is awesome, it is out of the really busy areas of Cancun and is between two higher end malls. The beach is white sand and expansive with aquamarine water. The whole cancun strip is easily accessable by cab or by bus, but except for one tour we didn't feel the need to leave Aqua. The hotel has seven pools of varying temperartures with an ample supply of chairs/umbrellas. The beach wasn't very full at all for our stay and we always found a choice spot.

SERVICE - the service was excellent, my drinks were sometimes replenished as soon as my cup was nearly empty. On the beach and pool they have a large compliment of staff taking orders throughout the day. Restuarant service was also fast and courteous. Midway through our stay they seemed to have replaced the practice of making you sign a reciept after each meal as part of a transition to a bracelet system. I actually liked signing the bills as I didn't need to carry cash for tips (the hotel is tips inclusive, but the service was great so I wanted to leave something extra). Many other reviewers panned the reciept practice which I guess is why they are getting rid of it.

For a relaxing, worry fre week in the sun I'd highly recommend the resort and will be going back again soon.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Live Aqua in early March and were overall pretty satisfied. It was both of our first "all inclusive" vacations. Normally, an "all inclusive" would not appeal to us; we live in Manhattan, NYC, and are very, very picky about our food and our drinks. That being said, I found a great deal on Living Social, and four impromptu, hassle free nights out of the cold was appealing to us! So, we booked it, and decided to give it a shot.

We read all of the reviews on Trip Advisor for Live Aqua after the hotel had gone AI before making our plans. The things that we learned that we would definitely recommend from our own experience is to bring a lot of small change for tips (we brought $100 in ones and $200 in fives) and to make all of your restaurant and spa reservations at least two weeks in advance. I would also recommend a follow up a bit closer to your arrival to make sure that everything is in place. Make notes of the names of the people that take your reservation, print everything out and it bring it to the resort. We did this and had no problem with reservations at MB each night and just a little hick-up in our spa reservation that was easily resolved. We also booked our airport pickup and return with a private car in advance online... it was very affordable, $60 for both of us, round trip. The small change comes in handy here as well, as all the drivers have tip signs, and nobody makes change.

We did not have the horror story at check-in that many report, but we were sent directly to the lounge chairs in the lobby unsure of our fate. In the end, we got the hand massage, but not the drink, and were in our room in about 35 minutes. We even got there before 3:00 PM (check-in) so all in all, the process was fine for us. We had paid for the whole trip in advance, but were still pleasantly surprised that they did not ask us for a credit card to be on file, or even an ID, for that matter. Not having been to an AI, it was comforting to know that there would be no surprise charges.

Our package included a room on the Club Level 5th floor, and two 60 minute Swedish Massages. We loved having the semi-private Aqua Club, we utilized the very helpful club "butlers," and we were extremely impressed with the super premium tequila selection and with the top shelf liquors in general. With some aggressive tipping, our glasses were never empty and sometimes they were running over with wonderful Vintage French Champagne! The food that they put out in the Aqua Club was more fluff than flavor... but, they try hard, it was visually appealing. We enjoyed the Aqua Club, met some new friends and definitely hung out for some great cocktails.

The room was great, it exceeded our expectations. Being from Manhattan, we are used to small, trendy, well turned out rooms... we have zero complaints about the size of the room. It is clean, modern, zen feeling, very comfortable king size bed, good thread count, nice choice of pillows, plenty of storage, a room safe and stocked mini fridge with snacks. The balcony was not large, but it was fine for our needs and the view was picture perfect. The bathroom had mini blinds that open to the room for the view from the separate bathtub, and there was a large stand up shower. They also stock the bathroom with plenty of towels and a fine selection of spa products. My only complaint was the cheap toilet paper that they use! I think they could upgrade a bit to fit in with the luxury spa feel of the rest of the amenities.

The grounds, pools and beach are amazing. We liked that everything is easily accessible and manageable... we have been to some huge resorts in Cabo where you have to take golf cars to get around. We had little problem getting chairs with shade. However, we are not early risers, so were not in competition early in the day. We found the service to be pretty okay at the pool. We are heavy tippers, but we can still be a bit impatient. We found it easier to walk to the bar, and get exactly what you want without waiting... you also avoid a watered down cocktail that has been sitting on a tray for a while. All in all, the pool service was fine, and the food was pretty good too. I actually liked it more than I did the Azur menu lunch with one exception.

So, now the food in general. It was not great. We had reservations at MB each night, but opted out of one night to try the Italian menu at Azur's night service. Meh, sorry guys, you can tell they are trying hard, but have a ways to go. We expect a lot, and frankly, they bill the MB as "World Class, Celebrity Chef" blah, blah, blah. You guys are going to get sick of me saying it, but, we live in NYC, this is not a five, not even a three star restaurant. We had dishes served to us that were as cold as the marble table that they were sat upon, and just a lot of inconsistency in general. There were, however, some very, very good dishes.. we particularly liked the veal cheeks and the grouper. I think if they concentrated more on the ingredients, and execution, and less on the plating... MB would be a better restaurant. They did bend over backwards to try and right wrongs, were pretty good with the wine service and recommendations with the various wines, and all in all tried hard to please. One thing I have to note, each of the three nights we ate at MB it was half empty, it is hard to imagine why the reservations are so hard to come by. I guess it has to do with the struggle they are having at half capacity??? We ordered room service three times and really liked the spa breakfast with fresh squeezed grapefruit juice and a fantastic fruit plate. The room service lunch we ordered was just okay, we liked the poolside lunch better. Someone told my husband that they are going to open an Asian restaurant, more variety would be a really good addition... and I do think the food will get better with time, they do try hard!

We are very social, but did not come on this trip to party and whoop it up, we were very happy just hanging out. As people say, it is not a late night party destination, depends on what you are looking for. They have one DJ bar, but it is pretty low-key as well. The spa was pretty nice, not quite as luxurious as described, but I have no complaints about it, or my massage. I usually go for more of a deep tissue, but this was very soothing, I almost fell asleep! The workout room was well equipped, no complaints there either. The hotel itself is tranquil, minimalist, modern, and very attractive. I am not a huge fan of the incense in the lobby, allergies, but no reaction, so not a problem. We would go back. I hope this helps, good luck!

Memphis, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

My friend and I thought that the hotel and our room were very nice but there were so many cons, we will never return. We specifically planned our arrival to Cancun to be after 2pm as we knew hotel check ins were at 3pm. We arrived at Liva Aqua Cancun at 2:40pm and we finally pushed our way past the housekeepers into our room at 6:10pm. We found the room to be very nice and had a nice view of the property and ocean.
We chose this hotel because of its being billed as a "gourmet all inclusive" and were excited to try the restaurants with the celebrity chefs. The problem was that we could not get a reservation in either of the non-buffet restaurants for the entire week of our stay. Which made this even worse was that the "gourmet" buffet was not at all gourmet and was very limited in selection. There were two restaurants that served lunch, the buffet and the restaurant that was the "gourmet" Italian restaurant by night and the second buffet for lunch. The menu was almost the same everyday with slight variances. And again, not gourmet by any standards. To add insult to injury (as they say) the service was horrible. There were plenty of staff but they stood around and talked to each other and this was the case in all aspects of the resort. We were unable to get drink service poolside. One day we did place a lunch order of a quesadilla and a cheeseburger and it took an hour and 45 minutes to receive it.
By midweek we did complain to the management and were able to be seated at the MB restaurant that evening. We had been unable to a reservation during our stay but realized that many of the guests were eating there every night. They must have been told in advance to make their reservations and because the restaurant is so small, most of the guests were left out of this dining experience. This was a wonderful meal and absolutely fit the bill of gourmet!! From the service to the food, excellence was all around!! We were able to see what this hotel longed to be but was so far from in all areas but this one.
We did finally get a seating at the Italian restaurant a couple of nights later and we were very disappointed. This was an example of very poor execution of a menu that was very pretentious. The food was not good and either arrived cold or luke warm. The service was fair but not the standard of the MB restaurant.
The buffet restaurant that were limited to most meals was very small compared to other hotels in the area of the same size and the menu had many of the same items from meal to meal. Very disappointing.
The pools were beautiful (as was the beach) but the first two days we were there the pools were so cold they were almost unusable. There was plenty of seating for all which was nice because we have been to other resorts that you practically had to bribe someone to get a spot by a pool. The entire resort was supposed to be nonsmoking but they did not enforce it and at the adults only pool you were constantly bombarded with cigarette smoke.
The hotel was very nice and our only complaint about it in general was that they had a constant smell of Eucalyptus and while it reminded you of a spa, it was very annoying after the first day of the air constantly being flooded with this aroma.
We both thought that this resort has potential but we decided that we were so disappointed that we will not return when there are so many others to choose from.

Room Tip: Reserve an ocean view room
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

We spent spring break at Live Aqua Cancun 3/23-3/30/11. It is a very restful, spa-like hotel. Clean, well-kept. The food in general was excellent, though only 3 restaurants to choose from. Definitely recommend ordering a la carte at either MB (soon to be re-named because of a new chef) or Azur. Service was also generally excellent. Not a "college spring break" sort of place, which suited us well. Just a couple of complaints. First, we had to exchange some money at the hotel - for tips, bus fare, etc...- and received an exchange rate about 10% below the going rate at neighboring hotels. Second, as part of our package we received a "$200 resort credit". How this could be applied was not made very clear. Anyway, we ended up paying extra for an over-priced $45 manicure that we thought was included and for an incredibly overpriced bottle of wine which exceeded our $100 food/beverage credit. Finally, when I brought up these issues in the post-stay survey the "Managing Director" replied with a very rude, non-conciliatory e-mail. I have to add that one of the front desk employees was somewhat surly when I went to settle up the bill and voiced some of my concerns. So, overall, it is a lovley hotel, but they have some customer service issues to iron out.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Live Aqua Cancun All Inclusive? Share your experiences!