“We had a nice experience!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa

You added Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan, Km 11.5, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #46 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
London, Canada
“We had a nice experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

My boyfriend and I had the opportunity to stay at Gran Caribe Real for a week from November 29 till December 6 2013. Our experience there was wonderful. The resort was clean and the workers were lovely.

We spent most our days on the beach which was spacious, white sand and blue water. We had no problem getting a recliner to relax on. We went down with a group of almost 20 and had no problem with recliners. The water was filled with waves for most days but made it fun to splash in. While on the beach we had a phenomenal waiter; Daniel Sanchez. He continuously brought delicious drinks and even brought special mix drinks upon request when you eventually run out of ideas to drink. He was always pleasant and had a smile on his face. It was nice seeing him in the mornings on the beach. We also would recommend Alex Savilla who also made a great impression on us. He too made great drinks and was a great guy to talk to at the Lobby bar. As well, Jose, who worked various bars at the resort, was great for making shots. Just ask him to make some shots for you. He gets a thrill from mixing everything and everything. They are delicious! We recommend the liquor bouquet!

While there we also did an excursion through the hotel to Xel Ha and Tulum. I would recommend this. It was nice to get out of the hotel and see something different. It was a long day but it was a blast. We saw the ruins and then relaxed at another all-inclusive park doing snorkeling, zip lining, tubing, you name it!

The food at the resort was great. So good that I think I gained tons. We tried all of the restaurants and loved them all. They have a variety from American to Italian to Japanese to French, everything and anything. We took advantage of the free room service once a day as well. AMAZING! We ordered from a menu from the room and tried various things. When we did order it, we had breakfast which was nice because there were things on the menu that were not at the buffets. We were living the dream with this service. All you cana eat and delivered to your room!

The hotel is also situated in a nice location that you can leave the resort, which is safe, and go for a walk or to take the bus. Buses come every 5-15 minutes. We took both the R1 and R2 to get around. There are lots of hotels along the strip that you can pass. The bus is $1 USD. There are flea markets close by to check out as well.

Unfortunately the hotel does not have a night club but there are quite a few within 10 minutes walking distance. We went to Coco Bongo and had the time of our life. It was pricey, but worth it. We were entertained for 6 hours with dancing, performances and everything. The hotel had entertainment at night but we only caught glimpse of it since it usually ended by 10pm.

The room was spacious as well and had a nice view. There were two pools. It was a family oriented resort with a pool just for kids as well with a castle and slides. The hotel had a nice venue look to it. Bars throughout. The workers were very pleasant anywhere.

The only down side was we never had any towel art in our room which was disappointing. We also didn’t have our own liquor bar in our room unlike our friends (even though you really don’t need one).

Besides that, we had a blast at this hotel. We enjoyed every minute and can’t wait to go back! We would recommend this place! Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (732)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

My girlfriend and I visited the Gran Caribe Real from Jan 19-21, 25th (switched to the Royal in Playa Del Carmen 22-24th, then back to Caribe for the 25th) This review is from the point of view of a Couple.
The Real was amazing from start to finish. The check in was great, free sparkling Champagne, very friendly and fast. Our room was ready when we arrived (noon) which was a surprise as check in isn't supposed to be until 3pm. We were shown our room right away. Absolutely amazing…Ocean view, view of the pool, clean and comfy! The highlight of our trip was the staff and service. Like all of my other reviews we state we really enjoy mexican hospitality, but this hotel goes above and beyond….everywhere. The waiters, entertainment crew, cooks, maids etc…. every staff member would acknowledge you and say ola/hello, always smiling and looking happy.
The food was good, lots of selection and everything tasted great. The drinks were fantastic, they even carried Clamato juice so I could enjoy a Caesar or 4!!! The miami vice drinks were also flavourful and soooo good!
We did a relaxing massage out doors near the beach which was great, but next time i think we will do it indoors (there was a big group of people drinking hard and yelling and having a lot of fun, so I didn't get the full relaxing experience).
The main question people ask me is "would you recommend this hotel?", I would strongly if you were going as a family with kids! Waterslides, mini golf, great kids club. But for me, there were so many kids in the adult pool that you couldn't relax, Tequila volleyball never happened due to the amount of kids. Pool volleyball was also ruined by the little kids wanting to play. I don't blame the hotel or kids, I blame the parents, there is a perfectly great pool with watersides for kids on the other side of the resort….I couldn't figure out for the life of me, why were all the kids in the adults pool? I would not recommend for couples looking to party nor would I recommend to seniors! Don't get me wrong, I would return if I was bringing along my son, but I wouldn't go back as a couple!
Long story short we had a blast (as we always do in Mexico), this hotel is perfect for families with little ones, It just wasn't 100% what we were looking for as a couple! ( I have written a review of the Royal Playa Del Carmen…separately…we upgraded to get away from the kids…please read it separately…..).

any questions please ask!

Room Tip: higher floors have best view (we stayed on the 5th..and 6th floors) great rooms!
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Like any hotel the Gran Caribe had good points and bad points. I agree with many of the other reviewers that the check in situation is in need of some help. I did the "Express Check In" online prior to arriving. When I did arrive in the lobby the check in took forever. The hotel does not have enough people working the front desk. The online check in to me made no difference at all. There always seemed to be a line at the front desk.
The hotel is very clean. They have people constantly cleaning. The rooms were spotless and the maids did a wonderful job. We had an oceanfront room and the view was nothing short of spectacular. The food was ok but it was next to impossible to make reservations at the Italian and Mexican restaurants. We were told they were full but walked by a few nights and noticed many empty tables. I kind of wish they stocked more than one brand of beer.
I used the gym everyday and was very pleased with the spinning classes. Daniel Trepino. one of the spinning instructors, did a great job.
Bottom line, more kids there than I expected. Kids should be in school this time of year and not at a resort.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Hopewell Junction, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

just came back from a week at this hotel. travelled with our 3 kids ages 8, 11 and 14. had a great time.
hotel rooms were clean and well maintained. we booked 2 beachfront walk out rooms which were lovely. the food, as in most all inclusive resorts was the worst part of our stay, whoever, the italian restaurant was the only exception, their food was quite good. the booking process is ridiculous, reservation times are always limited which is totally confusing as they were all always mostly empty.
the beach is beautiful but the pool is always loud from the entertainment that is constant. the pool water is dirty and left us feeling in the need of a good scrub down after, it also smelled quite unpleasant. i even had a cockroach float by. URG
the kids club was the best part, it was GREAT, the employees Lisa, Chris, Fernanda, Alexander, Carlos and Cesar were lovely and welcoming. my daughter was waiting at the door for the, to open and stayed all day, the evening kids entertainment was always great fun.
in general i found the front desk staff quite unpleasant and unwelcoming and i felt didnt really care much about the fact that my kids room was 6 floors away and not above us as we had originally booked, the check in took over an hour. and checkout was with a very grumpy woman who didnt inform us of the correct checkout requirements requiring us to all return the front desk to have our bracelts clipped off while our taxi was waiting.
the housekeepers and bellhops were however the opposite, they always seemed happy and ready to smile,

Room Tip: we stayed in the beachfront walkout rooms, which were beautiful.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Flower Mound, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

This hotel once had a sister adults only property but a few months ago the building owners changed the adults only management to Hyatt, as part of Hyatt's Vacation properties. The travel sites have not kept up so many photos are of the larger pools and more elaborate amenities of the Hyatt. When they were under the same management guests who paid a nominal upgrade fee at the Gran Caribe could go back and forth at will using all facilities, and the travel sites for the most part advertise that. Now however you can only have one dinner at the Hyatt when paying the VIP upgrade and only Real Club owners and certain high end suite occupants can use the Hyatt facilities, and that all ends by 2015. None of this is a big deal if you know about at booking and even the employees are confused by it all and each will give a different answer as to what you can and cannot do..
Pros: Clean rooms, attentive staff, decent to very good food, great beach, dated but functional amenities, great spa staff
Cons: Not a lot of shaded space, nor pool space whatsoever. Restaurants still have menus with prices on them from a la carte days but some items are an upcharge. Restaurants push wine which is a big upcharge. Bartenders seem confused about bands and some of the bars do not even have the upgrade brands VIP payers are supposed to get. 6th floor VIP lounge is a muddle, not exactly sure what it wants to be. Place needs a sports bar.
It seems to be a place in transition with no one really seeing to know what is going on. Once they get their legs under them they could be great, for now if you are a family traveling it is a good value for beach lovers with normal expectations. If you are adults go to the Hyatt Zilara.

Room Tip: Be sure you know what you are getting for any upgraded room packages you might pick.
Olathe, Ks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I was worried what the resort would be like after reading the bad reviews. We came with a large group (24) from my husbands company so check in was easy. We upgraded to the Ocean Front and are happy with that decision. Our room 2217 had a fabulous view and was very quiet. We saw weddings from our patio every evening but one. Our room and the resort were spotless. The beach is so pretty. The lobby is huge and we loved the lobby bar with a great live band each night.
Food and drinks were not as great, but I don't eat red meat and am a little picky. Dinner at the Italian restaurant was my favorite meal.

Room Tip: Room 2217 was near the corner and faced the ocean, we loved it!
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Im actually writing this from the lobby waiting to leave. (This is NOT a five star) As soon as we walked in we had a hard time checking in with Cynthia. She was telling us that in order to receive a lagoon view (which we have had our previous six years) we had to pay additional. When we got our room assigned there were employees in there cleaning and checking out a problem. They told us it was fine and let us enter?!
Our bathroom leaked the whole time and our patio door didn't close and our view was looking at the headlights of employees cars. :(
There were more children than adults and everything was over crowded with kids. This was to be a relaxing vacation, how do you do that with kids screaming and running into you? The pool was dirty and had a bunch of very tiny particles floating throughout. Also, construction is always taking place. While coming from our room 2810, you had to watch for debris falling.
I want to say the only relaxing part was leaving the resort for shopping and visiting other hotels along with my massage (Gina did a phenomenal job). One night we went to the Sunset Grill and we're not pleased with the options like in previous years and the service was extremely slow that we had left.

We used to rant and rave about this place to all our friends/family but this time I'm sad to say will be our last time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!