“Average food, good service, very loud !!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan, Km 11.5, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #48 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Average food, good service, very loud !!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

We arrived here for a 9 night stay for our honeymoon. We had a suite room with an ocean view - if you stood at the edge of your balcony and appeared to the left. It didn't bother us too much as the room was a good size, with a fridge which was stocked daily and a drinks cabinet.

Unfortunately it rained for 3 days whilst we were here, but we made the most of the all inclusive drinks and chilled out in our room.

The food was mainly average generally buffet style service. The a la carte restaurants had limited menus and the food was of poor quality. We contracted food poisoning which made the flight home horrendous & we are still suffering now - almost 4 days later.

The pool area was lovely but ruined by the entertainment and a load of rowdy American teenagers on a kind of summer break thing. There was nowhere to escape as the beach area was the same with a jäger tent - great if you are with a group of friends, not an ideal Honeymoon location. This continued into the night with screaming in the corridors.

The staff were very good, felicia a waitress in the lobby bar was a real sweetie.

To conclude we had a lovely honeymoon but this was down to us. Food was average to poor standard. Staff were very good. Hotel location is great. Very rowdy - more of a teenage persons hotel - we are 26 & 28 and found it too noisy. Wouldn't recommend this hotel & I certainly wouldn't stay again !!

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (695)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Lisbon, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed here May 31-June 5.. Had a great experience. Shout out to Armando and Jesus in the lobby bar. Great guys that we had a blast with. Kept our drinks full and made us different shots even though the place was busy. Each night they would welcome us back and keep us entertained. There were other bartenders that were working in the lobby bar that were great, but I can't recall their names.
Marco at the pool was great!!! Many activities if you want to participate!
Read reviews and people complained about the food.....No idea why. Food was great in all the restaurants. Many choices at the buffets and great service all around!
We did upgrade to the 6th floor and had access to the lounge up there. My only complaint there would be the food. It was good, but the same thing everyday with just sandwiches. Maybe change it up a little???
Have been to Mexico numerous times and found this resort to be a great stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
laredo TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

On our recent stay to this hotel, we paid a travel agency extra for a ocean view, about 200 extra. What we got was a roof view, with a 10% view of the ocean, the next night the hotel offered to change rooms on the day of the wedding, we moved went to the beach and upon arriving to the room with the view, 1) the a/c did not work 2) the toilet did not flush 3) the remote did not work. The weeding was in 35 minutes we moved yet again to another room with a pool view with 25 % ocean view, I feel the hotel did not meet my extra 200 wondering if they are going to mail me a check or something...

Room Tip: Make sure to take a pen, u need it at the airport, and dont bother calling operator all they do plac...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Van Buren, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

My daughter and I have stayed in this resort 8 times in 2 years. We absolutely love staying there. It's like our home away from home!!! We were there from May 14 to June 4 and were sad to come home. All the employees are GREAT!!!!!!!! Starting from bellboys Luis and Rodrigo to Nacho to servers Alejandro and Pablo at Gaviotas. Pool staff was amazing!!!!! We absolutely love love love DANA, BIERLY, MARCO, and ANDRE (pool staff manager) We had such a great time. They are friends for life!!! Let me put in a good word for the spa staff Maria and Maricela. Drink server at the pool named Daniel was great and we never had an empty glass. Our overall experience was awesome! Can't wait to go back in August to see all of our friends at the hotel. Until then we love and miss everyone and see you soon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Oak Point, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

We r still down here, but everything is great! We are real club members and its great! Love everything and my kids love the kids club! The resort isn't that crowed. Ocean is beautiful! Food is great and so are the drinks!

• Stayed June 2013
Davenport, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have been to this resort four times now. This last time I did being my young boys ages 5 and 7. They LOVED the kids pool and actually ate the food. We found ways to make meals for my picky eater with cheese quesdillas, pasta, chicken nuggets and cheese burgers. My other son is more adventrous with eating and enjoyed trying new items. We all loved the beach and the staff are attentive to any needs you have have. The only downfall is they expect to you pay for an upgraded room. After returning three ot four times I would think an upgrade to a room with a beautfiul view would be standard. We did this time get a lagoon view, which is not bad but not the view I was hoping for. Due to booking on Expedia I think they have some restrictions on what they are able to offer. I love the location of the hotel, walking distance to Margatiaville and Outback and some shopping. A cheap bus ride can get you to La Isla mall or more downtown resturants and shopping as well. Overall this vacation was a nice family get away. In the past as a couples get away we had the relaxation and fun in the sun we were craving too.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

My husband and I, both 50, stayed at GCR Cancun the first week of June. The resort was beautiful. Everyone there worked so hard to make it a wonderful stay. I was worried because I had read about grumpy workers and super drunk guests. We encountered neither. The workers were all friendly and wanted us to be happy. There were a few guest who were having "fun" but nothing like I read about. I myself had a few days of "fun".

It rained almost everyday, all day. Several places in the ceiling became compromised and had to be roped off. Then their crews would get to work and have it fixed in a few hours. One of the workers told us they had to close school one day because of the flooding. In other words this was not just the seasonal rains that can happen in the area. We still had a wonderful time and we did not get sunburnt. Any time it was not raining we would join everyone else at the beach or pool. Some of us would stay if the rain was not too hard. We were wet anyway.

We did pay(upgrade) to use the VIP lounge. It was $100 USD and worth every penny. We also got to have one meal at the Royal because of the VIP status. I was impressed with the resort but it seemed a little stuffy for me. Maybe it was just me. Their swim up bar looked really cool.

Room Tip: I thought I needed a ocean front, but next time we will take a ocean or pool view. We did not use th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!