“Wedding and Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa

You added Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan, Km 11.5, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #47 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Wedding and Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We booked our trip through Tropical Travelers, through Jennifer Carr and will be going through her again in the future!!! She was very helpful with everything from booking our wedding and honeymoon, to helping many of our guests get the accommodation they needed!! She was always very patient with my many questions and requests and we really appreciate all the help she provided us!! We absolutely loved the Gran Caribe!!! From the moment we came in and they welcomed us with a cocktail during our checkin to receiving our upgrade (which was a little annoying waiting on that until next day). It was a wonderful time. The food, people and atmosphere make for a great time. We went there to get married at their AMAZING Virgen de Guadalupe Chapel which overlooks the ocean. We have never seen a place like that and just knew it was the place for us to get married. We arrived to beautiful weather and beautiful people. Dont have any complaints about the food. Everything from the 24 hour lounge to El Pescatore (BEST PASTA!!!) to Gaviotas and Albatros. All were yummy and had a different theme. I loved that they would have shows to go along with their dinners sometimes (Mexican or Caribbean night). Many thanks to some of the cool bartenders Jesus and Guillermo. THE MOST AMAZING WEDDING PLANNER DIANA GUTIERREZ RODRIGUEZ!!!!!! I wouldnt have wanted any other wedding planner. She was amazing from beginning to end, always answering my questions, very detailed and there when we needed her. She made our day SPECTACULAR and it was PERFECT. Thank you soooo much Diana!!!! We also had a favorite waiter whom was our private dinner on the beach waiter and part of the wait staff for our wedding. I want to say his name was Alfonso or Antonio. I really really wish we'd written the name down b/c he was truly a sweetheart!! I want to thank that nice girl who activated my room key when I was locked out the day of the wedding!!! I cant remember her name either but she was part of the Real Resorts Club. Young girl w light eyes. I was truly so thankful to her for her help that day b/c I was really panicking!!! Everyone else that was there to help us throughout the trip was truly amazing and if it wasn't for all their smiles and good humor the trip wouldnt have been the same. Thank you all for the wonderful entertainment, food and service. We will DEFINITELY be going back to the Gran Caribe!!!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms Jose and I enjoyed were 2301. My parents and sister had amazing views from their r...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (835)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Wetaskiwin, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Went back to the Gran Caribe in January and it was as usual a great place to say.. i have to give major props to "Johnathan" at check in, he always goes out of his way to help us and to make sure we feel like we just got home when we get there!! We love Johnathan!!! Love our entertainment staff guys "Bierly" and "Danny" however we missed having Miguel there... Wasnt the same without him.. he always made sure everyone was having a good time, would see him always working and smiling, and at night time he would make sure everyone knew where the best club was to go that night...This last time that i was there, i had to look to for someone and ask which club they were going to and sometimes it looked like they werent even interested in going out or taking the people out, and when they brought us there they took us to our table, got us our first drink and then they were gone for like an hour and a half, then they came back but looked bored.. so yeah didnt feel like we were tended to, whereas Miguel always stayed with you and made sure your drinks and ice were always filled!! Plus his personality was always a plus!! But other than that the hotel itself was always great!

Got a beachfront walkout this time and it was amazing.. The Italian restaurant was sooo delish and i always loved the food at the buffet, esp at lunchtime!!

Oh one more thing, i didnt like how they held the "nightly shows" in the lobby.. it was hard to find a place to sit, and when they did bring out the extra chairs they were small and uncomfy.. i remember when they used to do a nightly dinner show in the ballroom, it was always so beautiful, so i missed that part of it.. didn't care for how small and hot it was in the lobby.. but afterwards the lobby was always a nice place to hang out and visit and of course get a good drink..

also got my first stone massage here, and omg... soooooooo good.. you should definitely try it, and i sooo love the sauna and steam room..

Would i go back? Yes of course, its in an amazing location and i love most of the staff.. :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Morton, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I took my 19 year daughter and her friend on spring break 2013 and stayed at the Gran Caribe. We had a wonderful time. The girls were able to cross over to the sister hotel and experience college spring break while I was able to relax on the Caribe side. The resort was clean, the food was great and the service very friendly. I would recommend this resort to anyone. Three weeks prior to this trip I stayed in the Riviera Maya at a large resort with 10 people. I felt the overall service and quality of food was far superior. We also ventured out to the downtown strip. Thanks to Giovanni, Herme and Jose for always having a smile on your face while I was eating breakfast. Hope to return soon.

Room Tip: There are only 8 balconies but that did not bother us. The rooms were spacious for three and very c...
SW Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My family (with children are ages 17, 13 and 7) recently stayed at Gran Caribe March 3-10 and had a great time. Overall it was a very clean and safe resort! I always do my research before staying at a resort and appreciate the reviews from others so hopefully this helps other prospective vacationers!

We arrived in Cancun at 10 a.m. so we knew our room would not be ready right away. We packed our swimsuits in a carry-on, changed our clothes and went off to explore and find lunch. We checked back a couple times and finally they said our room was not ready until 4. Our family spent a LOT of time on the sand volleyball courts so we lost track of time playing volleyball. I think we finally quit playing about 5:30 and checked in. I was surprised and very glad we were never pressured to do any time share meetings!!

Because we're staying in a family room there was no upgrade but we're not in Cancun to spend time in our room. The rooms were very clean and housekeeping did a great job. Housekeeping always left plenty of towels and our refrigerator was always stocked and had some cute towel figures left several mornings! Just remember to give them a tip too ... they appreciate it!

I can honestly say we never had a bad meal at this resort. I have two kids who are picky eaters but they always found something at each restaurant. The rest of us enjoyed trying new things. We really enjoyed Sunset Grill and the restaurants in which you had to make reservations were also very good. As soon as you get to resort - make your reservation!! Our service from Fili in the Italian restaurant was incredible and don't forget to order Sexy Coffee ... yum!!! The only service we didn't use was room service ... again - not in our rooms that much! Appreciated having the 24 hour food buffet available especially after we got back from Coco Bongo at 4:30 a.m. and were starving! At the pool side restaurant they had a huge paella meal for lunch one day which was awesome. They had mini lobster, shrimp, rice, vegetables, etc. YUM!! And we enjoyed the steak night dinner around the pool also which was incredible!! Again ... no complaints at all on the food!! And we always had incredible service! Remember to tip a little each time! These people work hard to make your stay enjoyable and they remember you!

Spending so much time on the sand volleyball courts we met some incredible new friends. Especially those from Penn State, England and Canada. They totally made our trip even more enjoyable and formed life-long friendships! We also appreciated having drink service on the beach and Daniel was continually working his tail off keeping us hydrated! Tip: Remember to bring your own mugs along!! Keeps your drinks colder and the sand out of it also! We didn't spend a lot of time around the pool but did enjoy the entertainment staff when we did. I think my kids used the water slides for one morning but the water was super cold at that time so didn't last long there. And our 7 year old never used the kids club so can't do any reviews on that. She did paint a ceramic butterfly by the pool and have her hair braided the day before we left.

I booked one excursion for our whole family which was thru Selvetica and was for zip-lining and swimming in a cenote and then had a lunch afterwards which was included. My husband and I have done the zip-lining with this company couple several years before but wanted our kids to experience it too and what an awesome time we all had. Even my 7 year old was zip-lining and loved it! I booked that before I left on our trip because didn't want to have to use my credit card at all down there which we didn't! The only other time we left the resort with the kids was to walk to some shopping just down the street.

One of my other favorite things to do in Cancun is to go to Coco Bongo. Of course being Spring Break it was packed but the show is still spectacular and totally worth the $$. Normally we get a taxi after the show for a ride back to the resort but because the weather was amazing (actually the whole time we were down there it was beautiful) we decided to just walk back to the resort since it wasn't that far. Get a little exercise in whenever you can!

Speaking of exercise I did use the exercise room and have to say that Gran Caribe has one of THEE nicest workout rooms I've seen at an all-inclusive resort! I even took a spinning class with Daniel which I LOVED and a Zumba class too in addition to using the elliptical machines.

The entertainment at the resort left a little to be desired. We enjoyed a couple of the nightly shows but did leave early from the Mexican dancing one ... ouch!! The Lobby Bar was the place to be in the evenings and the bands they had there each night were SOOOO good!! And the wasabi peanuts they offer were amazing! Wishing I could get them here!! Had many new (to us) drinks while staying here (Superman, Electric Lemonade, Mango Tango, etc.) and loved that you could tell waiters/waitresses what you liked and when they saw your glass almost empty, they would bring you something new!!!

We did enjoy Gran Caribe very much. But will we be back?? ... probably not. Not because the resort was bad at all ... but because we like to experience new things and stay at a new resort each time. Enjoy!!!!!

Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I've been to the Grand Caribe Real Resorts 4 times and to the Palace Resorts 3 times. Of course I feel the Palace resorts are better over all but the savings are worth going back to Caribe Real.
* Starting with check in I was hear with my 91 year old mom and my wife we wanted a room by pool and on 1st floor. Manuel set us up with room 2109 Ocean Front which is real close to door to the pool and cabanas/lounge chairs (perfect) other rooms close by are 2110, 2108 2107, 2111, The Ocean Walk Outs are awesome (next to us) steps from ocean, private cabana/lounge chairs, great view of sunrise, rooms 2118,2117,2116,2115,2114,2112. 2200 is 2nd floor 2300 is 3rd floor etc..
*On our 2nd day we set up reservations for dinner at Maria's and the Italian Rest. however we cancelled the Italian because They had a big outside Caribbean Show and Seafood party on the beach the food,dancers,and music was really, really, good.
* I set up a day trip to Playa del Carmen spoke with a taxi driver named Angel met through bellboy he took my total party of 7 to Gran Porto @ 9am and back @ 8 pm for around $100.00 we could of took busses cheaper but it is not worth the torture (I'm with 91 year old Mom). @ the Gran Porto we were treated like Kings around 4pm I asked Bell Boys for a courtesy room so we could all change, No problem 5th floor room by the hot tub, pool and swim up bar ,,sweeeeet, room had beer and liquor cabinet too we felt like VIP's went to dinner and then 5th Ave. lots of fun Angel was waiting at 8pm.
* Spent the following day at Caribe to relax the chefs had a big 3 foot round kettle they cooked seafood in by pool, Ate at Maria's for dinner and listened to the band in lounge.
*Took a day trip to Isla de Mujeres Angel dropped us off at Playa de Tortuga to take ferry and picked us up at the other port further south because we stayed late at Isla.
Go to Chi, Chi's, Bar right on Playa Norte (the nicest beach I've ever been on), they have lounge chairs great Ceviche and guacamole, and did not have a problem with us bringing our own tequila we bought at the "Super" in town. For dinner we we went to La lanchera really good Grilled Fish. I wouldn't rent a golf cart use a taxi Island is to big for a golf cart too many speed bumps and you will get lost if you plan on seeing the whole island. Angel was waiting at the port cheaper than the other taxi drivers.
* Spent the rest of the time at the Hotel to relax, got to meet the Captain/Manager of Restaurant outside by the pool Adrian and Hostess Raquel are very sweet, Adrian offered to have Chefs make us anything we wanted to eat at any time since we were leaving so we chose a seafood platter and my daughter chose steaks for tacos topped with cheese. The platters came on a hot plate with Shrimp, calamari, fish and Mussels oh was so good we ordered it again the next day.
*For the money spent I had a great time, awesome b'fast lots of fruit, great food for lunch to thanks to Adrian who set us up!!!
* My only complaint was that at night by lounge their is times it is hard to find chairs and some times their is no band and no music not even a DJ. That's what I missed about Moon Palace their is always good music playing at night, lots of tables, chairs and dancing and their is no need to make reservations at any of the Palace restaurants

Room Tip: Manuel set us up with room 2109 Ocean Front which is real close to door to the pool and cabanas/loun...
Earth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Just got back from a week at the Gran Caribe and I want to make sure I don't forget to thank certain people. JC at Guest Services really worked hard to take care of us and that extended to security where Carlos was friendly and informative. We had many laughs with both of them. The message was the best I ever had and I've had them at more expensive places.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Somerset, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We are members of the Real Resorts club and this was the first time we stayed at this property. Our girls are 9 and 13.
The pros: I felt very safe, lots of security around and patroling the beach area late at night and very early morning. The 24-hour self-serve buffet is a great thing for kids! Nice beach, lots of chairs available even though I thought it would be more crowded this time of year. My kids loved the kids' pool area with the water slides. Nice mini-golf area. There's a supervised "teen" center that has video games - my kids didn't use this but nice that they thought of that. The work-out center had more equipment than I've ever seen at a resort - complete set of free weights, machines, treadmills, bikes, Steps, stability balls, bands, mats, etc. The spa services are great - my daughter had an "emergency sunburn treatment" and the other a massage on the beach and both were awesome! All staff were helpful and friendly. Room service was fast. Very quiet rooms - I never heard our neighbors and they had very small children. Lots of activities and fitness classes scheduled. My girls loved painting ceramics pool-side. The restaurant near the pool (Gavoti's?) has excellent Asian food, including sushi. There is a free boat ride in the lagoon every night from 3:30pm - 5:30pm. It's an old wooden ship so it has a lot of open deck and bench seats to enjoy the casual cruise - very nice! The nightly shows at the resort were impressive!
Cons: Room service doesn't start until 8am - would be nice if it started at 6 or 6:30pm. Housekeeping services were inconsistant - we had two rooms and on the same day our daughters' room had a cute animal made out of a towel left for them, we had no hand towels or washcloths left in our room! Housekeeping didn't speak English so I downloaded an app so I could leave requests in Spanish. WiFi was weak and sometimes unavailable (our rooms walked out to the beach, maybe this is better closer to the lobby). Albatros dinner buffet was just so-so. Both "nice" restaurants were booked the entire time we were there so make your reservations as soon as you check in or before you come. The main pool is smaller than I expected and no swim up bar but the kids thought it was fine.

Room Tip: If you are getting a walk-out room (walks out onto the beach), ask for the ones that aren't near...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!