“It was fun, but not perfect.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan, Km 11.5, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
30% off room rate
Ranked #51 of 172 hotels in Cancun
LOUISVILLE
“It was fun, but not perfect.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

The staff at Gran Caribe were very friendly and made us feel welcomed. We enjoyed the views, the booze, the beach, and the breakfasts. The rooms were fine, nothing fancy, but the beds were pretty hard. The Sunset Grill had the best lunch food and the buffet was kinda sad. The buffet was ok if you wanted pasta, fruit, or a hamburger. Breakfast was awesome everyday. The cooks had no problem making me an egg white omelet.
All the bartenders were very friendly and funny. The beach bar is great bc you can sit in the shade or in the sun.
Unfortunately you Must make reservations to dine at one of the 2 restaurants on site, and since we were traveling with a large group it was almost impossible. Got to eat one time at the Italian restaurant and it was tasty with good service and a fun fire show, but we had our party split across the restaurant.
It rained on us half the time we were there and most daily activities were cancelled (couldn't do them indoors???) but we had a nice time anyway.

• Stayed January 2013

4,471 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
St. Albert, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We were at this hotel from January 16-23, 2013. The hotel itself is clean and well situated and you can get around easily enough with the city bus service. The beach is fantastic as is the water. You can walk out quite a distance and enjoy body surfing or simply riding on or diving in the waves. The room we had was clean and quiet although the biggest complaint was from people leaving their balcony doors open while the room door was open which caused the door to slam shut at all times of the day and night! The room had steps going from one bed to the second bed so you needed to be careful if you had one too many cervezas :). In terms of the resort, there are steps everywhere, even in the restaurant, so you need to be careful when walking around, especially in the evening. There are ramps throughout the property as the resort is baby-stroller accessible! An obvious resort of choice for families with small children.

Our biggest disappointment was with the food in the restaurants, the service and the layout of the restaurants. In comparison to the RIU Cancun where we stayed last year, the Gran Caribe did not have nearly the same quality or quantity of food to choose from. We often needed to wait for the food to be replenished when the buffet plates were empty, and on a few occasions there were no bowls or plates available so we needed to wait for them. The organization of the food itself was poorly done as we often needed to double back to get condiments or fixings for the meal. For example, pancakes and french toast were on one side of the grill, but to get syrup, you needed to walk back to where you started. Also, because there was one area for certain hot foods, you would find yourself in a line up and would need to step in front of others if you wanted something along the food line up. There was a fair selection of fresh fruit in the morning, but a mediocre fruit salad at lunch and dinner. The Sushi Bar no longer exists at this property. The three restaurants served pretty much the same food for breakfast and lunch while there was some variation for dinner. The table service was hit and miss during buffet meals, but if you ordered a la carte for dinner, the service was much better.

The entertainment was OK. It was not well advertised so it was easy to miss what was going on as this happened to us. The shows usually lasted 30 minutes and were often in the conference rooms in the lowest level. The lobby bar usually featured a band from 9:00 to 11:00 and then they stopped playing, so if you did not go into town after this, there was nothing to do at the resort. The resort offered a number of different activities during the day. The fitness facility is pretty good for a resort.

If you are travelling with Air Canada as we did, we did not get the $50 USD credit for the spa or the romantic dinner, and did not get the fresh fruit platter or sparkling wine upon arrival as indicated on the website.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the children's pool and mini-golf course. Very quiet at night as the childre...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Mason, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

I received an email back in December from Travel Zoo about this special VacationExpress.com had flying direct of out Cincinnati and staying 7 nights at this all inclusive resort for $699 each. We couldn't pass it up for that price. Tonight is our last night here and we do not want to leave. The white powder sand is awesome. This is a great location on the beach. My wife & I would walk down the beach after breakfast every morning. The rooms are very clean. House keeping even put clean bedding on the beds everyday and stocks the mini-frig with the free cold beverages. For the drinkers there is even a cabinet mounted on the wall that has four bottles of liquor mounted upside down in a locked cabinet with dispensers below for you to pour a drink. This cabinet can be locked so that the young ones can not access it. The food in all of the restaurants is excellent. We wold go to the Sunset Grill everyday after laying on the beach and would order fresh tortilla chips, guacamole & pico de gallo which is NOT on the menu so just ask for it. It's fabulous! Everyone on staff here are eager to please and make your stay here the best it could be. We will defiantly return to this resort.

• Stayed January 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We booked at Gran Caribe because we wanted the perfect family resort. We have 2 boys ages 3 and 5 and the trip was better than I could have imagined. I admit that I always said I would NEVER leave my kids at a "babysitter" in a foreign country BUT The Oki Club was awesome and my kids wanted to go there. First day we left them half an hour and every day we bumped it up a bit, they are at the age where the are brutally honest and would have told me if they didn't want to go back. The events they had through the day were great, the kids had no chance to ever be bored. The staff was excellent and I was impressed that after the second day they knew their names.
AMAZING BEACH
Our room was great, only suggestion I would have is that the family rooms have liquor dispensers, as we can't really leave once the kids are asleep whereas our parents who had a liquor dispenser spent most of their evenings at the "Lobby Bar" for drinks and never had to use the dispenser.
Entertainment music was pretty loud at times as our balcony overlooked the main stage, but at 11:00 it was super quiet and we always ha a fantastic sleep. Our boys enjoyed the bunk beds and our room was ALWAYS very very clean.
Overall we love this resort, I gave it a 4 star because I know that their are 5 starts out there that are fancier than this BUT it was a 5 STAR holiday for us, we didn't care for fancy, it was all about the children and we loved it and will be back someday soon!
ENTERTAINMENT staff is amazing....loved every moment, keep up the good work Gran Caribe!

Room Tip: room 2247 overlooked the small pool and sunset grill, it was a nice family room because once our boy...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Our stay in Gran Caribe exceeded all our expectations. We looked the reason of such good service of all the employees. What we found is that they have a very simple philosophy based on a Saint Paul principle "Do everything in Love" Corinthians 16:14-24
Well the formula works in every person. Very impressive. We enjoyed one of the best conferences at the resort. Grace Ochoa and Roberto Villalobos from the Groups and Conventions Staff were a gift for all the group.

Room Tip: rooms far from the elevators are better because less noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I have stayed at this resort 3 times and 2 of my 3 trips went great the last time I went left me embarrassed that I took my friends here, because I had spoken so highly of this place. I had stayed here 2 times prior to booking a trip for my friends surprise bachelorette party. Despite part of our party having some issues with their room and then with a stomach issue I figured my experience was good enough to bring my friend who is a germaphobe and another friend who is a picky eater.

The property is very nice and the staff is extremely helpful and friendly, and the views from the ocean side rooms are amazing and they are clean and cozy. The beach is always clean and the bartenders know how to make great drinks. There also doesn't seem to be a shortage of chairs and things to lounge on which is nice because it means you don't have to get down there first thing in the morning to claim your spot. There are a few different restaurants to choose from and all of them have a pretty decent spread to pick from, offering things like omelet and pasta bars where they will cook dishes to order.

However....The first night we had some trouble with the staff knocking on the door while I was the only one in the room. I went to answer the door and they covered the peephole with their finger. Since they had just found a bunch of heads in a cave outside of Cancun before we arrived it didn't make me want to open the door exactly. Luckily my friends came right back because they knocked again a few minutes wanting to come in the room and examine our outlets asking if we smelt smoke. You couldn't smell smoke in our room but apparently there was some electrical issues because you could smell burnt wires in the hall and the next morning they were working on the elevators. The 2nd or third night we were there we went out on our balcony to see two people having sex in the main pool (the same pool that the water was so gross when we thought we would take a quick dip early that day that it felt like swimming in Jello) and then like something out of cult comedy flick we watched as moments later the staff came out with giant buckets to take water from the nasty pool and throw it all over the floors of the restaurant so they could mop and clean the surfaces of the restaurant.

The first two trips there wasn't a lot of "spring breakers" even though we went over spring break however this last time there were a few, one of which decided to pee on our door thinking it was a bathroom apparently and it took them a while to get upstairs to clean it because I think they thought we just made a mess and need them to clean it. We had ordered room service prior to this little incident (you can order room service once a day with their all inclusive packages which is nice) and the food got there before the pee was cleaned up so we had to eat outside and there really isn't room for 4 people to eat meals that require a table out there.

To top it off the bride got food poisoning the last night we were there (and our friends food poisoning kicked in on the plane ride home) and we didn't leave the hotel and we only drank bottled water. My other friend and I don't eat meat and we didn't get sick so I say be careful of what you eat meat wise.

All and all if I ever go back to Cancun I would certainly give this place one more try. The family I went with the first time I came here had been to Cancun at least half a dozen times and this was the only resort they like well enough to stay at twice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Spruce Grove, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I were just at the Gran Caribe and loved our vacation. The beach was superb! You could walk for miles on a nice sandy beach with white sand and blue ocean as far as the eye could see. The employees were always friendly and willing to give help out. The entertainment staff were so friendly and always made you laugh and feel so welcomed. The only reason why I gave this resort a 4/5 was because the food at the buffets was almost always cold. After staying there for 10 days it was difficult to tolerate cold food. A better variety of western food would have been appreciate as well. But all in all an excellent resort to go to and would certainly recommend staying there :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!