“Excellent vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan, Km 11.5, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
30% off room rate
Ranked #50 of 172 hotels in Cancun
Spruce Grove, Canada
“Excellent vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I were just at the Gran Caribe and loved our vacation. The beach was superb! You could walk for miles on a nice sandy beach with white sand and blue ocean as far as the eye could see. The employees were always friendly and willing to give help out. The entertainment staff were so friendly and always made you laugh and feel so welcomed. The only reason why I gave this resort a 4/5 was because the food at the buffets was almost always cold. After staying there for 10 days it was difficult to tolerate cold food. A better variety of western food would have been appreciate as well. But all in all an excellent resort to go to and would certainly recommend staying there :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

4,493 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (640)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here from Dec 20-25 and had a great time. I highly recommend the beach front walk out room it's gorgeous. Plus if you are in that room category you get to eat 2 nights at The Royal right next door because it is affiliated with the gran caribe. The food is excellent at the gran caribe and everybody is very friendly. There is a little water park with 2 water slides for kids and yes that includes anybody lol. Everyday there is a DJ that plays awesome music at the pool and there are always contests with prizes. The staff even comes around the pool area holding huge iguana's and Tucan's that you or your kids can hold and they take your picture holding it. They have the best Italian restaurant called il pescatore and the food is amazing... The pasta is so fresh!!!! They have pottery you and your kids can paint by the pool and its ready the next day. There is entertainment at night and a 24 hour snack bar near the lobby so if you get hungry in the middle of the night. We really enjoyed this hotel and its perfect for kids... Very kid friendly.

• Stayed December 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed for 7 days, we upgraded previously to checking in, so we got to check in on the 6 th floor. We had asked for rooms together, that was not promised though and we did not receive. We went with another couple, our room was great everything was perfect. Food was really good, lots of selection and my husbands nut allergy was not an issue at all! Drinks in the tiny plastic glasses kind of sucked, but tasted good! This is my 2nd time to cancun. It is a smaller resort so not a lot to do after you are done in the pool. I suggest NOT going to the coral negro flea market! They will rip you off! Buy sovenirs at La Isla mall 5 mins down the road! We had room 2614, I believe it's one of the best ocean view rooms! They have in house dancers every night I was there and they were great! Pool activities were ok not wonderful, very windy in January. I was disappointed there was only tap beer not canned and they did provide 2 bottled beer per day in the room fridge lots of pop, otherwise you had a tiny plastic glass:(
With the upgrade we were allowed room service unlimited times per day, we did use it twice and it was realllllly gooooood! My husband went golfing twice, the green fees were waived with our room package, golf cart was $35 usd, he had a great time ( food n bev not included) We also received a letter under our door asking us to upgrade to the playa del carmen sister resort, our friends did not receive one so we didnt go. I would return to the Gran Caribe Real, but may try the Mayan next time!

• Stayed January 2013
Bloomfield, NE
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

For anyone who is looking to stay here... PLEASE DONT!!!! I urge you to keep looking! You can find a better resort for the same money - I promise!!!! My husband and I just got back from a vacation here and had to immediately post about this trip. This was our second time to mexico (first was to Valentin Imperial - PlayadelCarmen). Amongst a LONG list of things that were wrong at the resort here are the main once I want to point out: Costumer Service, Food/Sanitation, & few others.
Costumer Service: We, my husband & I, checked in later in the afternoon (around 4pm) and initially I thought it was easy. Later on we thought, it would have been nice to have a little description of the place (map of the resort) and to have someone explain what is or isnt included, what the difference is between the packages (yellow vs black vs gold bracelets). We asked finally and someone explained but we thought that was ridiculous that we had to ask. All the other resorts we have been to, they sit you down, explain everything, ask if you have any questions, etc... Not here! Once we did learn the difference between the base package (yellow bracelet) vs black we wanted to upgrade and they wouldnt even let us!! So here was a oppurtunity for them to receive more money & they wouldnt take it. Does that make any sense? Absolutely not! Once we got our room key we went to check on our room. The key that was given to us didnt work & the maid that was cleaning a couple rooms down said that there was already a couple in that room. So we went back down to the front desk and was given a room that was must not get used often because the room wouldnt even lock! So we had to call maintenance after over 2 hrs of "fixing" it worked. This room contained 2 doubles beds (kind of hard to sleep 2 grown adults in a double bed), had NO wifi internet service, our balcony was right next to a parking lot (anyone could have walked right into our balcony & into our room because the sliding door was locked by a flimsy, cheap lock), & to make it even better at 5:30AM we were woken by service vehicles crashing through the service alley. For a little perspective, I am a HEAVY sleeper & I awoke very startled by the noises! Obviously, after all that we demanded a new room. Within the first 24hrs we had made a long list of "issues" that we wanted to address with a manager. For example, one issue we had was that our bags sat in the lobby for over 3 hours (probably would have been longer) until we went and grabbed them ourselves! After all day of traveling it is nice to have your things to be able to freshen up. When my husband went to speak to someone about the issues the first person (Benito) laughed at him! & then when we did finally speak to the manager on duty he (Rene) simply sat there and nodded his head never asking what could be done to make it better or that he was sorry for the inconviences. Finally, he said he would send something to our room for the inconviences we had experienced! Nothing was ever sent & no one ever came to talk to us about our issues! It was quite obvious that they DO NOT care about you!!!! The whole staff is that way. Several times we would be standing at the bar waiting to order a drink and the waiting staff wouldnt even bother to ask if they could help us. They continued on with their own private conversation. It was made very clear that you were NOT a priority!
Food: This was the one thing my husband was looking forward to - good food! He was severley let down. In general the food was very BLAND & cold!! & I have serious concerns about whether our not it would meet Dept of Health standards. For example, the very first night we were there we ate at Albitros and had a hard time finding anything really good and we noticed it wasnt really warm. So we thought we would hit up the 24hr snack bar. My burger was cold, my husbands hotdog cold, & the nacho chips were no where near crisp. As a matter of fact, the only time anything was hot was when you ordered it (room service or when they cooked it right in front of you). We were with the 2 other couples, they all shared the same concerns. We all had a reservations at Marias on the second to last night. Now Marias is supposed to be Mexican but honestly, it was no where near what we consider Mexican food. Very odd combinations of food items (ex: chicken covered in some unknown red sauce wraped in a chocolate tortilla - weird!). & 4 of the 6 people that ate their that night got sick! 2 of the people got sick right after the soup course and had to be excused from the meal and the other 2 made it through the meal but an hour afterwards were in poor condition. Coincidental, I think not! O and it is impossible to find chocolate cake in the whole resort! What they call chocolate cake is a preformed pudding like thing. Not a place to go that has any sort of decedant desserts!!! Especially chocolate!!!!
A few other main issues: both pools are SMALL!!! Not one has a swim-up bar & are usually so crowded with people/kids you can even enjoy the water. They give you towel cards & every time you go to get a towel or return a towel you are haggled to go on excursions. It gets OLD!!! & then you are sitting their trying to relax, soak up the sun, & you are interrupted every half hour by staff members that want to sell you something (ex: massages, scuba trips, or other excursions)! You get to the point where you want to just yell at them - NO I WANT TO RELAX, LEAVE ME ALONE!!!! We left our 6 month old home while we vacationed and had planned on skyping to check in on her the wifi internet service at the resort wasnt fast enough to be able to handle that. As a parent myself, no way would I want to bring my child there. Part of the landscaping, all around the base of the palm trees, they have these bushes that have these thorns in them. Im not talking rose bush thorns, Im talking 1-2" long thorns! I accidentely touched one and it broke the skin! I wouldnt want my child to be walking along or be exploring and get to close and get hurt by one of those! OUCH!
My husband & I are very simple, easy going, midwestern couple. We have traveled to several places. We are not "uppidy up" kind of people. But seriously, you can find better place for you and your family for no more money! The beach is beautiful but it will be beautiful at the other resorts too. The location was nice because it was 20 min from the airport and 5-10min from downtown but there again, you can find resorts that are similar in location! There is nothing that is offered here that is not offered at any of the other resorts!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

From the time we checked in until we left....we were treated like family. All of the staff at the resort go out of their way to meet all needs no matter how small they might seem. The beachfront is awesome, food and drinks were excellent...one of our travellers is allergic to nuts and they were very accomodating to our food requests.
Would like to give special thanks to our concierges on the 6th floor ( Luis & Dulce) as well Marco (pool guy - kept the party going) and the ladies in the Real Spa ( Maria, Lety and Gina) who made our vacation just that little more special. Nightly entertainment (Gran Caribe Dancers) in the lobby added that extra touch I wasn't expecting.
We will not hesitate to return to Cancun in the future and will definitely return to the Gran Caribe when we do. Awesome!!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Balsam Lake, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We really enjoyed this property. We've been to Mexico before but not spent any time in the hotel district. I was not sure what to expect as some of the reviews of this hotel were negative, but we were very pleasantly surpised. Our rooms were large and we had one right near the elevator and it wasn't noisy. We were on the 5th floor. Didn't go for the upgrade and they didn't push it. We thought the food in all the restaurants were excellent. We had breakfast in the buffet everyday and had dinner in the other restaurants. (The lobster/steak dinner in the Italian restaurant was huge and the birthday dinner & cake we had at the Mexican restaurant was fabulous. I recommend the Mayan coffee in both.) Didn't realize that you had to make reservations several days in advance to get a decent time in the Italian and Mexican restaurants, but got that taken care of as soon as we realized it. There was a little mis-communication that after we checked in we needed to talk to Guest Services about the amenities and get information on the hotel. (Didn't know the check in people and guest services people were different.) We were just a little confused as to what was going on and where to eat the first day, but did stop by to ask a question the next day and they sat down and gave us the explanation and info the next day. We had black wristbands and apparently that is VIP and we had no clue about what that meant. They briefly mentioned about touring the hotel next door for a free breakfast and I assume the timeshare presentation, but we declined and they didn't push it. The beach was beautiful and the pool was great. There were plently of chairs to sit in on the beach, around the pool, or in the shade, so you didn't have to get up early to get one, which is really nice. The pool adtivities were fun and entertaining -- especially the water balloon fight and tequila volleyball. The only negatives we had were there was only one kind of beer (except in the mini fridge in the room) and the shows really weren't very good. I think the dancers were talented, but just the costumes and shows left quite a bit to be desired.
We did hang out at the hotel most of our vacation but spend two days off the property. We took the bus to Playa one day and visited the sister hotel - Gran Playa Real. You can use the property just like you would in Cancun and they were very welcoming. It is within walking distance from the ADO station. Just go to the left about 8 blocks when you come out of the station. The beach in Cancun is nices, but the pool in Playa is nice. (The pool on the 3rd floor with the swim up bar is lame.)
The other trip we did was we took the Playa Tortugas Ferry over to Isla Mujeres. You can just take a city bus to get there. If you want to rent a golf cart, I recommend just renting one from the guy on the ferry. The price is as good as you would get on the island then you don't have to spend the time when you get there. One of our favorite places is "The Joint" -- 4 beers and guacamole for 100 pesos.
Overall a great vacation and would definately return to this hotel.

Room Tip: We didn't upgrade to an ocean view room as we hardly spent anytime in the room. We did find the...