“Excellent long weekend getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Caribe Resort

You added Gran Caribe Resort to your Saves list
Gran Caribe Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan, Km 11.5, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Book Early and Save!
Ranked #34 of 180 Hotels in Cancun
Canada
“Excellent long weekend getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I, along with our 8 year old son, visited the Gran Caribe over the Easter Weekend 2012. The trip from the airport took much longer than we had hoped as the shuttle service seemed very disorganized. that being said, it was likely just an off day for them. We checked in on line in advance of our trip, and that allowed us to go stright to the on-line check in desk at the resort. Check in was super quick, very pleseant. Noone tried to sell us additional upgrades. Bst of all, inspite of arriving early, we were taken straight to our room! Give the on-line check in a shot. We found it worked out very well for us.
Our room was clean and spacious. The bathroom is in need of an update however. But it was very clean. Mini bar was always well stocked. The view from our beach front balcony was great, hammock and all! Having gone at the tail end of University/College spring break worked out well. If you're there for family time, and not college-kid party time, have a look at a few online sites that will tell you what US schools are or break (and average numbers of students per week on break). Great way to plan a trip IF you are looking for something a little more tame. There were still some party-goers of the late teen variety, but all in all, we experienced no noise issues. We also timed our departure just as the larger Mexican vacationers were starting their Easter holiday break.
We love to have a few drinks and a good time, but can do without the noise when our evening has wound down!
The lobby bar was wonderful. Very spacious! Entertainment was cheesy fun. Good tunes and a nice family venue. There were a few weddings going on, and the parties took over the larger part of the lobby bar, but the service was still excellent and there was always plenty of seating.
The kids pool area was fun. It seemed that there was a decent amount of attention paid by the staff in keeping kids safe. Mind the speed of the waterslides. We did see a couple kids get hurt. But it wasn't for lack of effort on the part of the staff monitoring the slides.
The food was okay. Sunset Grill for lunch was the best meal of the day. Buffet has plenty to offer both breakfast and dinner. But we were there for les than a week. Maybe those who were there longer would disagree with the variety offered. We were quite happy. In fact, we prefered the buffets over any of the restaurants for dinner. Menus were not great, in our opinion. Especially for a child. Our son is not picky. I just found that they tried too hard to offer meals that were off the beaten path. But the service was really wonderful, as were thr drinks and dessert. We just prefered the great variety offered at the buffets.
All in all a great break. Quiet, clean, excellent service all around. Due in part to luck and good timing (a quiet room and a relaxing beach were so very needed!). But we wouldn't want to take away anything from the hard working staff!
The beach was spectacular. Loved it and couldn't get enough of being in the water! The only negative would be the size of the main pool. There were never enough seats, and the pool was probably the smallest I've seen at a resort this size. But we spent more time at the beach! So good!

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank Canada365
Matias K, Director General at Gran Caribe Resort, responded to this review, August 3, 2015
Gracias for taking part of your valuable time to share with us your experience,

We are very happy to know that you had a fabulous vacation with us

Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon!

Tewksbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My trip was for two weeks. The sixteenth thru to the thirtieth of October. Weather was extremely absolutely gorgeous, could not have asked for anything better. I stayed in the Junior Suite which was beautiful in its self. My friend was graciously friendly to take me. Im a 45 yr old divorced female with MS still stuggling with reality of my break-up (2yrs ago). I needed a get away this was de finitely it. This Resort has it all! Fine dining, Dinner Shows, Bands, Karaoke.A beach bar with swings and hamics omg just beatiful, I fell in love. Scheduled activities happenning always included in your stay, yes included {of coarse their are some in the late evening not but this is awesome as well sign up and meet others and go down to local clubs together leave when u want} Pool side Dana,Lois,Lisa I tell you they are so personable, I miss them!!! I want to go back just to say hello,
honestly but while I am their I will have some delicious food,I will start with omlet the lady who makes these at the pool buffet is awesome{so sorry I forget her name she is so nice very friendly!}
I must say ALL personnal were so polite and helpful. 'NONE" of their staff had any sour looks on their faces can u imagine going to work and seeing happiness all day?Even maid service who come like twice a day yes 2x do a clean up and then even pull your bed down at night and leave a treat. I made sure I left her one,as the others. Maybe its all the Sun and it boosts their VitD level. Any how lost my train of thought Tequila Sunrise make sure u get up and watch the sunrise "ITS Breath Taking" -- even better with a "Mimosa". The lounge bar is just gorgeous, huge if u just stand back and take a second as u walk in resort The atrium check-in left lounge open to daisy shape pool and pirate ship for kids great restaurant as well,to rt is huge pool overlooking ocean just breathtaking, If you took a sharpe rt you would go to the spa and the gym. I mean the spa is heavenly and the gym love it, I need this love spinning and was so excited this exsited at your facility. The instructor of your spin class is exceptional, feel terrible for the life of me I cant remember his name {he broke his arm not to long ago}. I am from one of the suburbs of Boston, Massachusetts. I was once a dance instructor. Music, Dance, Exercise has always been a part of my life,he does a nice job with choreographing his spin class to music. He includes eveerything from a warm up to a intense ride to a steep climp, to a cardio blast then we bring it down awesome !!! I could go on and on but dont want to ruin your surprises you just have to go !!!!!!

Room Tip: I stayed in a jr suite I viewed both beach and lagoon rm2535. Below is mini golf & trampoline a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sheri T
On behalf of Gran Caribe Cancun staff and myself, we appreciate the time you took to share with us your positive review!

See you soon!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Was our first time in Mexico, and second hotel- we stayed one week before in Playacar area, in 5 star, all inclusive, but cheaper. We enjoyed a lot our stay there and were looking forward to Gran Caribe! When we arrived, we were proposed upgrade to have a walk out to ocean and some other benefits, which we accepted, though the stay wasn't cheap even before that. But we really hoped it will work out. But it didn't!! First day, on the balcony next to us, repair works were going on, with all the dust coming on us and noise. We were promised it will be finished by 3pm and it did. The next day they started works beneath our balcony, on the stairs, with even more noise. And promised to finish...and they did, but the third day works on the walls started with hammers and all that... I believe a five star hotel shall finish repairs before start of high season... And what was the upgrade???? Food is no good, poor choice, bad smell in the Albatros restaurant...staff is not friendly in most cases. We decided to stay up to end of our journey here this time, and not think about this disappointment, since we have just one more week, and we better do our best to try to enjoy it. But i will never come back to this hotel and wouldn't recommend to others. Value for money-disaster!

• Stayed November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Olesya1982
Matias K, Director General at Gran Caribe Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2015
Thank you very much sharing your recent experience at Gran Caribe Cancun.

We are very sorry to read that we were unable to meet your experience during this visit.

We sincerely hope you will allow us the privilege of hosting you again in the near future and provide you the excellence of service you and all our valued guests reserve.
Rotherham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Myself, partner and 2 kids stayed from the 23rd October - 3rd November. We chose this hotel as last year we stayed at the Royal, but viewed this property as we were planning to return with the children. This hotel is fab, the only negative thing I would say is the food quality and choice. We are not fussy eaters but do like our food, nice food!! I don't normally like All Inclusive but it's really the only option in places like Mexico. The food at this hotel just got a bit repetitive after a few days, we coped but it could have been better. Also there was two theme nights while we were there and on these nights only one other restaurant was open and got booked up really fast. Both of these theme nights were a disappointment, the food was average and barely even hot, also the chicken nuggets and fries that were served for the children was shocking! That night we ended up eating out at Bubba Gumps restaurant over the road.

Other than the food we had a great holiday, drinks were fab, weather was great and most of all the staff were brill.....especially the kids club and entertainment team.

My daughter is 6 and she couldn't wait to get to the Oki kids club each morning and she would stay all day. The staff were great, you knew that the kids would be safe and well looked after while they were there. A big thank you to Ximena and all the other staff who work in the kids club.

The Spa staff were great too, we treat ourselves to a full body massage - one of the best ever!!!

Our cleaner was Linda Chan and she was brill, you could tell when it was her day off! You wouldn't believe how many towels she would leave us and the things she could make out of them.......the kids loved it! She would also leave us chocolates every now and then, just these little touches that make it extra special and on our last night she even came back and turned down our room - thanks Linda.

Not forgetting Norma, who was working most day/nights in the lobby bar. She made sure we were never without a drink and knew exactly what we wanted, even before we asked. She is very polite and always found time to ask how we were.

So all in all we had a great holiday at the Gran Caribe Real, maybe we were expecting too much after staying at the Royal the year before.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank LindsayBRotherham
We appreciate your comments and the time you took to describe your stay, our best reward is our guest satisfaction. That keeps us training to be better every day

We are looking forward to see you again.
alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Had a super fun time at the Gran Caribe Resort. This was our fourth time to Mexico and fourth all inclusive resort. The hotel is very, very clean, not overly large, and the BEACH IS FANTASTIC!!! The water was the most beautiful turquoise and the sand was like soft white sugar. Unbelievable. The staff were all so kind, and helpful all week long. The only down side for me was the buffet's. I am a picky eater however, and did find things to eat all the time, but the selection and size of the buffet was small. Really great food, just didn't seem to be a lot of selection. Did have my 15 year old with us as well, and she also always found things to eat, and enjoy, but again in my 5 vacations, 4 of those to Mexico, this was the smallest of all the buffets.
No problem getting reservations to any of the restaurants, and to get beach chairs or chairs by the pool, was never a problem at all. Their were waiters always walking around to get to drinks, so you never went thirsty! The theater was great, and the entertainment staff was fun. Only two pools, and we always seems to stay at the larger pool with all the entertainment
One of the nicest beach areas I have seen. Didn't have the best view from our room, as we were in some weird corner spot, and our tiny little balcony overlooked our neighbours balcony.. haha.. oh well - didn't want to be in our room anyways!!! room fridge was always stocked as well!!
I would recommend this resort to anyone!! go relax and have a super time!! no complaints here!!!

Room Tip: ask for an ocean view... we did not have a great view... haha.. but again, who wants to stay in your...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank lmcalberta
It was a pleasure to welcome you to Gran CaribeCancun and we very much appreciate you taking the time to share your lovely review with us.

Thank you once again for your feedback and please know we are very much looking forward to hosting you again in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just recenthy returned from our 2 week holiday in cancun mexico were we stopped in your hotel gran caribe real. We were also amazed at the outstanding service from all departments "pool bars maid service "restairants"reception . Everything was 5 star treatment the rooms are spotless and spacious "The food is first class entertainment was brilliant " Everything we needed was there we have never been anywhere before! Where we have been treated like royaity .I have named some of the staff that looked after us personally. We will definetty coming back next year no ather holiday compares to this "Thank you for making our holiday the best we ever had!!!!!! room 2364+2365 mr & mrs edkins&mr &mrs edwards. Some of the staff were outstanding people just a few names !!!!!! Jose/maclo bio Fer noe Alberto rubi martini anita benitomax baldemar !!!! The Tiger will be back!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trevor E
We would like to thank you for choosing our resort as your host on your recent gateway to Cancun.

It was a pleasure having you and we appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

We sincerely look forward to welcome you back on a future occasion
Godfrey, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This was our second time going there, and we are looking forward to more times going back ! Everyone is so friendly and awesome ! A special thumbs up for Jaime (Jimmy) & Misael at Albatros, Ramon at Marie's , Angel & Taco at Pescatore's and Anita & Guadelupe (waitresses), Martin & Jaime (bartenders) in the lobby bar !!! These new friends made our trip a special one !! Looking forward to going back again and again to see them !!! Our room was so clean and a super view of the ocean ! Thanks again to everyone !!!

Room Tip: This time we were in room 2602 , we loved it ! A huge balcony close to the VIP lounge and the elevat...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 62035DonnaL
First of all thank you very much for writing this detailed review about your stay at Gran Caribe Cancun! We thank you for staying with us.

We look forward to seeing you again!