“how the hell can people moan...this place is paradise!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa

You added Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan, Km 11.5, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #47 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
London, United Kingdom
“how the hell can people moan...this place is paradise!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

My family and i have only just returned from this hotel and i can honestly say it quite possibly is the best place on earth!! I cant sing its praises high enough and really cannot understand how some people can leave negative reviews!! ill break my review down
HOTEL: the hotel is absolutly stunning, very fresh and modern feel to it, beautiful lobby area with lovely marbel flooring throughout the hotel. Fresh flowers in the lobby all the time which makes the place smell lovely!! I cant say enough how wonderful the cleaners are here, always people cleaning weather it be the floors or even the pool, so fyi i cannot understand how the previous reviewer claims there was vomit in the pool for 4 days, there is absolutly no way that would happen!! also would just like to point out that yes the floors can be slippery when people enter the lobby bar BUT we were there for 11 nights and i never saw anyone slip purely because they are right there mopping up ALL the time!! There are 2 pools to this hotel, we tended to stay in the smaller one with the ship because my daughter liked it there, the slides are fun for all the family...once again the pools are CLEAN! the hotel also has a small internet room downstairs, a game room for over 12s that had wii and xbox in it and you also have free wifi access in the lobby.
Rooms: we stayed in room 2226 overlooking the tennis court, you can see the ocean from here its just a restricted view...no big problem to be honest, we had a nice view of the chappel and saw 3 weddings take place which was beautiful! the room itself..again it is spotless!! our maid irma (forgive the spelling) was a complete joy, a credit to the hotel. The beds were nice and comfy and the bathroom was very fancy. No lack of mirrors either which was nice. We had a nice balcony with a hammock...great for my kiddie! our fridge was always well stocked. I appreciated having an iron and iron board in the room. you also get a laundry service. air conditioning was very good and we never had any problems with it.
Food: food was brilliant!! we always found something we liked, we ate in gaviotas for breakfast almost everyday, Fermin and Jessi were both superb! Albertross was our favourite for dinner it was buffet style and had different things each day to choose from antonio, pablo,julio, and raul were phenominal servers in there, in fact everyone in that reasturant made you feel so welcome and othing was to much trouble. Sunset grill was my favourite place to eat at lunch, the BLT was really lovely. Erik was lovely...again everyone who works there is a credit! this place is definatly a must to check out. Marias was definatly worth booking ramon was great and done a lovely show with the mayan coffee, i wish i could remember all the names of the people who made our dining such a wonderful experiance! Bar staff worked thier butts off to make sure people had drinks all the time Linda and beautiful felicia were little stars during my stay and always greeted me with a lovely smile and a mango tango! again all the bar staff were fantastic includung trade winds bar.
All in all this is by far the best hotel i have stayed at, i very rarely feel genuinly sad to leave people behind but cancun...gran caribe and the lovely people made it difficult to come back to england. I cant express my thanks enough to all the lovely staff from the bar staff to guest services (special mention to beccy and jose luis who were so helpful with local information for us). The hotel is in a perfect location, close by to the shops and other attractions.....oh and the beach is to die for...crystal clear waters and cool white sand....perfection!!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (835)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

My husband, myself and our 2 teenage daughters stayed here for my husbands 40th birthday.We have been to Cancun 3 times and stayed at the Crowne Paradise and the Great Parnassus on our previous visits. We arrived 11th August for 2 weeks and I can honestly say that by the end of the first night my thoughts were how many more nights do we have to endure this.

The room we had was perfect except the beds were rock hard and we had a view of the tennis court, not a drop of water to be seen and they had no other rooms available for us. The air con was brilliant easily adjustable and very cool to cold if you needed it. The room was cleaned everyday and was spotless.

The only 'real' bar to drink in of an evening was the lobby bar and the staff there were great, nothing was too much trouble. The only downside was there was no air con, in fact the only place that had air con was the room, every bar and restaurant was scorching hot, nice you may think but to be honest think about the searing temperatures and it was not nice at all. Whilst trying to enjoy a drink in the evening, you had constant streams of people walking past from the pool immediately outside not very nice seeing dripping wet people at 9pm when you've just finished dinner. This also made the floor very slipping and dangerous.

The sunset grill served lovely food and again nothing was too much trouble for the waiters. The unfortunate thing was this was also situated next to the small pool off the lobby bar so it was very noisy, this combined to the fact that it was located next to the hotels enormous generator which was also very noisy meant a lovely meal was was anything but quiet.

Albatros - buffet restaurant served the same bloody food every day!!!! and has got to be the smallest buffet I have ever seen at an all inclusive and belive me I've been to a lot. Lots of tables though and you are personally taken to a table so there's no looking around for an empty table and wondering if anyone is already there. The staff in here were also great and again nothing was too much trouble.

Maria's - after reading the review, I was expecting much more from this restaurant. We booked this for my husbands 40th birthday night and when I asked for a little something I was stonewalled!!!!. Wish I hadn't bothered now. Again this was stifling hot although not as much as the others.

The pool - far too small for a hotel this size and it was disgusting!!. There was an area of the pool that had vomit in it for the first 4 days despite someone cleaning the same area over and over. This pool also lacked the 'infinity pool' view of the ocean. Unless you stand up and walk towards the very end of the pool, you cant see any water or sand. Pool service was very good there was always someone asking you if you wanted a drink.

The only saving grace this hotel had was the entertainment staff, they were brilliant!!!. Jio, Amrando and miguel really pulled out the stop keeping everyone entertained and if you want to book any of the aquaworld excursions go and see Sophie where you get the beach towels from ,she was great.

Overall I would not recommend this hotel, either save your money of go to the Crowne Paradise or the Great Parnassus. I've always said that I would not go to a hotel more than once and never have but I wished i'd booked either of the other 2 more or less as soon as I got there.

p.s. watch out for when they cook the paella at the pool during the day....it was fabulous!!

pps. The spa is not a spa, it's just one room - we had a massage whilst we were there and there is no spa just one room and a jacuzzi

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

We travelled to the Gran Caribe 20th August for 2 weeks, so only came home today. I never leave reviews, but after reading some of the bad ones on here, I felt that I had to, as I was so put off by them before going. This is without a doubt, one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. I could write this review forever, but will stick to the things everyone wants to know when going on hols.....
Rooms - Don't upgrade until you get there, we upgraded to an ocean front room, and the cost was five times more when we were quoted on email prior to arrival. Just ask at the front desk when you arrive. If you can afford it, it is totally worth it. The rooms are all exceptionally clean, no matter what grade they are, and the showers are huge, I had no problem showering my 3 girls (age 7, 6 & 2) at once.
Food - Wow!! What a selection. Breakfast in the Albatross was amazing, as were evening meals. Lunch at Gaviota's by the pool was excellent, always a selection of salads, soups, mexican cuisine, or burgers, hotdogs, etc for the children. Make sure you try the coconut ice cream!! Sunset grill was beautiful in the evenings, only steaks on the menu though. Lunch time there is a better selection, the lasagne is beautiful. I only tried the 24hr snack bar once (our 1st night when we were jet lagged) and thought the burgers and hotdogs (that's all that is on offer there) were cold :( although, we didn't see any reason to go back there, as the choice was fantastic in the other restaurants. Went to Maria's once, the food was lovely, but not really a restaurant for children, especially tired, hot and bothered children.
Entertainment - The day times were brilliant fun at the pool. I expected it to be full of drunk teenagers after reading some of the past reviews, but maybe that was just spring break, as I didn't think that at all. My children loved it, they used their inflatables in the pool all day long, and had plenty of room. The morning water volleyball game is great fun, followed by Aqua Aerobics. Ladies, a word of advice - you have to try this at least once, the entertainment team are fantastic, and also VERY good looking so enjoy!! Haha. In the afternoon, they have a game around 2pm where the children are always involved (water balloons, dancing, belly flops, etc). Big shout out to the boys that work so hard to keep everyone happy - Armando, Daniel, Omar and the gang, and the lovely Nancy who is also great with the children. The evening entertainment is good, but the location is bad. The majority of the shows are held downstairs in a theatre, which is like a big conference room, with no bar and no tables, so we only took the children on a few occasions, as we all got a bit bored. However, last week, they did do 3 or 4 shows in the lobby bar which was a much better atmosphere. There is always a band or karaoke in the lobby bar, even if the show is in the theatre, so there is always something going on.
Weather - I kept an eye on the forecast for 2 weeks before leaving the UK, always said thunder and rain. We had 2 rainy days out of 14, both of which brightened up in the afternoon. The sun in Cancun is like sun I have never felt before, I burnt using factor 30, it is scorching hot!! Don't take any notice of the online forecasts, it is rarely rainy in cancun.

A word of warning, the marble floors are beautiful but so slippery, so be careful. Also, the water at the slides is extremely shallow, so beware if your an adult using them. There are some amazing excursions in Cancun, I would recommend Captain Hook, really good family fun night. I would sit on top deck for some fresh air and beautiful views, as the show goes on downstairs, so it is unbareably hot, with no tables, so you have to eat your steaks on your lap!! My husband loved the speed boats (jungle tour), and the dolphin swim is great, you must try the foot push.

Overall, this is a beautiful hotel, in a phenomenal location, it's like stepping into paradise!! I would return without a doubt. Enjoy :)

Room Tip: Upgrade on arrival, not before you go
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

what a holiday what a hotel food is class reps are brilliant jio, omar, little pea, hermando, josie, felicia, linda, pedro, and all the rest of the gang trips are expensive through first choice check best days rate before booking anything tips are part of there wage just tip 20 pesos every so often they are happy and it makes the service 100% although it already is upgrade from a junior room as its more like a chalet and my kids are 15 and 10 and it is not the best of sleeping arrangements defo go back just booked for next year its everything you want and more for a luxury family holiday thanks thanks beware of pirates nights if you go sit downstairs or you watch show on telly and service was very poor 20 mins for drink!!!!! the cost was $82 per person me personally would not not recommend but other people may have enjoyed thank u gran caribe real it was brilliant

Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

We have just returned from our fortnight's stay in this hotel and we have had a fantastic time. I'd just like to point out that I don't normally leave reviews, but I had read some for this hotel that weren't that great and I want other people to know that we experienced no problems at all. From check-in to check-out, the staff could not have been more helpful. I'd like to say a big thankyou to Anel at the spa for the wonderful hot stone massage she gave me. The treatments are all a reasonable price and there is something for everyone. My husband had a couple of sessions at the gym, which was really well equipped and the children ( ages 6 and 2 ) were kept entertained with the kids club activities and the water slides. The choice of food was excellent and no chips were on offer which was a big surprise after our last couple if holidats in europe! If you want chips though they are made fresh to order, along with chicken nuggets and the like, just ask your waiter. Elisa at the pasta corner kept my 2 happy with spaghetti bolognese, and Pablo and Jesus were fantastic waiters in the Albatros restaraunt. The Sunset Grill is a must, their Hunter steak is delicious and if its served by Diego all the better! The only downside we found is there is very little organised entertainment on an evening and having very young children we were slightly tied as to where we could go. My husband did enjoy a heavy night out with some new friends on the first choice bar crawl which ended at Coco Bongos which he said was amazing.
If you are going to this hotel, you'll have a great time and have a watermelon mojito for me please!

Room Tip: We upgraded to a sea view room when we arrived which was cheaper than if we'd booked it through...
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

I have been to gran caribe now 3 times. I really dont understand how people have a bad word to say about it, the place is so clean tidy. the staff just cant do enought for you. everyone is so friendly. I have loved everymintue of it. We stayed for 21 nights! Alejandro one of the waiters for around the pool was absoulte great so quick funny freindly. also linda who worked in the lobby bar made an evening really fun before we went out. The people who make my holiday is the most is the gran caribe sport and entertainment team, for the past 2 years its been the same but there was all new this year apart from 2 which were daniel hernendaz and bierley valencia who are absolute great.. they are so much fun always there for you alwyas having a laugh and take care of you make sure you have best service at night in the clubs, the rest of the team are also absolute fab jio, omar ocampo, nancy and the dj daniel was also fun, they all made the day time such a laugh and made you feel so welcome. i cannot wait to return to this hotel to see everyone! absolute fab time and an amzing place!

Room Tip: ocean view
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
nowhere
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

Such friendly staff, if you give them fifty pesos they will love you forever, before you finish your drink they will bring another one. In the restaurant one night as the words 'hmm I wonder where I can get anothe sprite' left my lips, another one was put in front of me by a waiter. Very clean, the toilets are spotless. Rooms were lovely, large, airy and the air conditioning was brilliant, so cool and refreshing after being in the heat. Though, there was only a shower in the bathroom, would have preferred a bath. I would definetley recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011

Been to Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!