“I Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of GR Solaris Cancun

You added GR Solaris Cancun to your Saves list
GR Solaris Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulkan Lote 59 2 Etapa, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
FREE RT AIRPORT TRANSFER
Ranked #35 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Maybrook, New York
“I Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

I have nothing but the highest praises for this resort. The food was really good, I have dietary issues and I had no trouble finding something delicious at every meal. The staff was superb! they went above and beyond. we were treated well always, our room was clean- bed was a bit on the hard side, but thats it! such a pretty place for couples or families. I would reccomend this hotel right away. I want to go back ...Great drinks too! thank you GR Solaris for helping us tohave the most wonderful Honeymoon ever. We loved it. Guy & Meg

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
  • Polish first
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

My boyfriend and I went to GR Solaris in Cancun Mexico last year for just a few days but it was totally worth it. The hotel is immaculate, pool is amazing and has two sides and one with a swimup bar ;0) The beach is soooo serene, it is well kept and the showers leading to the pool are in a perfect spot to wash off the sand. The entertainment staff does a great job at playing music while you splash around in the pool. We also went parasailing so much fun, rode the jetskiis, and rented the boogy boards too! Oh and the couples massage overlooking the beach is soooo romantic!
My only gripe was that we were not served any authentic Mexican cuisine but we are going back again this August and hope to venture into town for some good food. LOVE THIS PLACE!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

We had a great time and I will just break the GR Solaris down in Pros and Cons.
Pros
1. The staff and service is wonderful. The staff really makes the place what it is.
2. The outside grounds. The place is beautiful! Pool and beach areas can not get much nicer.
3. The Ocean is rough but we enjoyed it that way.
4. The drinks are strong and they will make them as strong as you like.
5. We really enjoyed Marco Polo. Many have complained about making reservations but we had no problems. The food was good and we really enjoyed our server. We ate here twice and found the chinese night to be better then the Italian night. I would say the other food places were OK. We could always find something to eat and I would say that the people who are making major complaints over the food are too picky.
6. Clean. There are people working all over the resort to keep it nice.
Cons
1. Room noise. This really is a problem at this resort. We had no noise issues coming from other rooms. Our problems where from the hall way. You can hear everything out there. My wife equated it to living in the college dorms and she is right. If there is any noise in the halls, it is also in your room.
2. The room itself. This is not a huge complaint of mine but the room is not a 4 star room. If you want a super nice 4 star hotel room, this is not the place for you. I do not see this as a huge problem, but I can see that it may be for others.
3. Top shelf liquor. I have read in many reviews that people where able to get top shelf drinks. We were not! I am a big Captain Morgan fan and I could not get it. I could see it hidden but it was only for resort members. When I asked for it I was told sorry. People did have on different color bands and I am not sure what they all stood for. I think we had purple bands for purchasing our vacation on the internet. I did not every notice a lower standard of service for this but maybe it kept us from getting our Captain Morgan.

Overall this was a great experience. I would recommend this resort to anyone who could handle a bit of room noise and not be upset over it not being a true 4 star room.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

This was our second trip to Cancun and for the money you couldn't beat it. Our first stay was at the Cancun Palace but after the hurricane the prices were much higher. So this time we opted for a more reasonably priced trip. I was concerned due to all the negative reviews, but we were pleasantly surprised.

The food was good, but more than one non buffet choice at night would have been nice. Saying that, Marco Polo was excellent and reservations were not had to get (contrary to those who say otherwise). All the other restaurants were good and provided many choices, even for the picky eater.

The rooms were simple and yes the bed was hard. However, they were clean, the showers were hot, and the refrigerator was always stocked. The view was exceptional from our balcony.

The staff was very friendly (with the exception of the male front desk supervisor during the day, who acted like it was a bother to answer questions). There were the time share people, but guess what? They are at every resort. Just say no and they leave you alone. They are not pushy. Check in was remarkably fast, as was check out.

Oceanfront couples massages: Muy Bueno!!!

The only bad thing was the weather, but I don't suppose you can blame that on resort (although some people on here would try). It rained quite a bit that week, but we still found plenty of things to do.

I would seriously suggest strong supervision of children if you take them. We had a couple of unruly and very rude children ruin a nice dinner at Marco Polo and a couple of nights in the "bar" area because their parents refused to act like parents. The child actually punched his father in the face at one point. I have kids, but would never let them ruin someone's vacation. Also, since this is an all inclusive sometimes adults can get "wild" which you might not want your children to witness (ie: balcony adult activity at night).

All in all, this resort was well worth the money. No it wasn't 5 star, but we didn't pay for a 5 star resort so we didn't expect it. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. Accomodations were great, service was good as well. They had many tour options available, including Isla Mujeres and Chichén Itzá, but we had reserved with other travel agency. I must clarify that this is a boutique hotel. It is quite small, but has everything you need. You can even eat at midnight at the deli it has.

Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
South Weymouth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

I was a bit apprehensive about staying here due to some of the reviews. I will give my honest opinion of how our stay was.

Check in - VERY simple. This hotel is about a 15 minute ride from the airport. It took us 5 minutes to check in and we were taken over to the concierge for some information. This was ok until he started asking us to come to the "Welcome breakfast" AKA Time share presentation. Told him no and went up to our room.

Room - Basic. A little outdated but that's ok. Fridge had some soda, bottled water and Sol beer. Room was always cleaned and we even got some towel animals left for us some days. Balcony was nice. Had a view of both the lagoon and the ocean (we had a deluxe room) Only problem we did have was at night the wind would howl pretty loudly....it got annoying but we dealt with it. We were always so exhausted we passed right out. I didn't find the beds to be hard, but I guess it's personal preference.

Food - Breakfast was good. Had an omelette station, bacon, sausages, toast...some mexican specialties...empanadas and such. They had a station you could make your own bloody mary's and mimosa's (NICE!) We ate lunch by the pool a couple times...they had a sit down restaurant that had normal lunch fare, and another place by the pool that had cheeseburgers, hot dogs, pizza and nachos. Also a self serve soda and beer tap. The drinks at the pool bar were great! Got tipsy quite a few times...they do not stinge on the alcohol. Very pleasant also. We ate dinner twice at the hotel mainly because we wanted to go downtown and eat at Senor Frogs and places like that (highly recommend Senor Frogs! Fun and good food!) Dinner at the hotel was just ok....never ate at the Marco Polo...didn't try to get reservations. Had room service a couple times.....very good. Good fajitas and burgers. The Deli that is open from 4pm til 6am had good sandwiches.

Pool - VERY warm! Like....hot tub warm. That was the main pool. The adult pool was much cooler and quieter. The main pool had activities going on during the day...some were fun, some got a bit tiring to listen to. It depends on what you're looking for that day. We like to party but it was very hot while we were there so we wanted the more refreshing pool.

Beach - Treacherous! The undertow was bad.....we had red flags (do not swim) all week. Sand was gorgeous! Water was even more beautiful! You won't be disappointed by either!

Some other tips - We took the bus alot. It was 80 cents per person and stopped outside the front of the hotel. It took about 20 minutes to get to downtown, but saved you alot of money. We did take a cab back a couple times and it cost us $15. Adds up during the week. We went to Isla Mujeres which was awesome....stayed in Garrafon Park all day. Took an all day excursion to Chichen Itza...long hot day but worth it. Most amazing place I've ever been to. Ate at Senor Frogs, Carlos and Charlie's, Pat O Briens, Bubba Gump and Margaritaville. All fun and good food.

Check out - A breeze. Just called up the bellboy, gave him our room/towel keys and we were on our way. No need to go downstairs to check out and wait in line.

I would definitely stay here again. It was a beautiful, small hotel with friendly staff. You get what you pay for. For the price this was just perfect for us. We are not picky and need little to be happy...and had a wonderful week. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

We were in Cancun at the height of the swine flu craze last year, so we felt we needed to go back when all the media frenzy died down to get a real feel for the place. We chose GR Solaris based on the reviews, and the general consensus was spot on. The hotel was clean and very well kept. The staff were really friendly, except for the people working the front desk. Went on the Albatros catamaran cruise again, and also did XPLOR!, which was AWESOME - thanks to Jose's recommendations at the Hospitality Desk @ GR Solaris. The 3 pools were heated I think, and catered to all the guests. The food was eh, okay...but you really shouldn't expect spectacular food at an all inclusive I think. We ate at Marco Polo one night, and it was a little better than the buffet. The maids REALLY cleaned the rooms and kept the mini fridge stocked with water, beer and sodas. We ordered room service almost every night, usually around 3am when we would get back from the clubs, and the food was decent and service excellent. The only downside I have to say is that the walls are paper thin. We even asked for the king sized bed so that we would limit our chances of having children in the adjoining room, but I heard the guy sneezing next door. If we had the tv off, I could even hear him opening and closing his fridge. Kind of creepy! We enjoyed our stay at GR Solaris...no one pushed us into any time share meetings. I would strongly recommend tipping everyone. Just a few dollars gets you a long way. Our cups were never empty, and we were always greeted with smiles. If we do go back to Cancun, we'd return to GR Solaris for sure.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to GR Solaris Cancun? Share your experiences!