“Loved it!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of GR Solaris Cancun

You added GR Solaris Cancun to your Saves list
GR Solaris Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulkan Lote 59 2 Etapa, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #31 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Loved it!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2005

We stayed at GR Solaris July 14 to the 18th. (Yes we were there during the hurricane!) We had two ocean view rooms with huge balconies. The rooms were clean and nice and the noise level was not a problem. The things I did NOT like about the resort were: 1) slow elevators (it seemed like forever for them to come) and 2) the super hard beds, although I slept on them fine. 3) If we had been there longer, I think I may have gotten tired of the food, but there was a good variety and that would have been just me. 4) Also they only had showers and I like a nice relaxing tub. All minor things. The worst thing of all were the slippery floor tiles. A little water on them made them so dangerous and I am surprised that no one has had a bad fall. In the outdoor restaurant near the ocean, we literally had to "skate" our feet to keep from falling at two different lunches. Same thing with getting out of the shower. Just be careful. That said, I loved the resort and the people there. Pools were wonderful, drinks were free flowing and some of the friendliest people I have ever met in my life were there (staff and vacationers!). They took good care of us during the hurricane and the building held up amazingly well. I would go there again tomorrow!

• Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2005

The GR Solaris is a gorgeous hotel. It has 300 rooms and was built in December 2004. The food was great, the service was excellent, everyone was friendly. The clientele at the hotel was appropriate. A female co-worker and I went with my 6-yr-old son and there was enough for all of us to do. While my son had fun at the mini-club, I got a massage and my friend drank margaritas while lounging at the 'quiet pool.'

I did not sign up for transportation when I booked the trip. We took a shuttle (van) from airport which cost $18 (I think). We shared the van with other people, but the drive is short. The fare for a taxi was going to be $42.

As far as the beds are concerned, I didn't notice if they were hard or soft as I was too busy looking out the window at the beautiful view.

Nightly entertainment was wonderful, the food selection and service was excellent. This hotel has an elegant feel to it. Go and enjoy!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2005

On day one, we checked into a dirty room with an un-stocked fridge. After many calls to the front desk we finally got moved to a new room. During the seven days we were there the fridge was completely stocked once without having to call numerous times. The walls are paper thin and if you have loud neighbors, you will not sleep. On the last night, we stayed in a dirty room because the maid service did not clean our room again and on other days it was partially cleaned. The drinks are extremely watered down. Half way through our stay, hurricane Emily hit and I do not think the staff and employees were ready to handle the situation. We were given little information and there was a lot of confused, angy guests. Tried to get compensation for the 24 hours we spent sitting in the ballroon and hallway with no drinks and limited food but the manager said "It was not his fault". At the GR Solaris, the customer comes last. How this place got a 5 star rating is beyond me. It was a GRAND ROYAL RIP OFF! The Marco Polo resturauant was probably the best thing about the GRS.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2005

My family and I just recently returned from a stay at the Grand Royal Solaris resort in Cancun. There were nine of us all together and every single one of us loved it! I am quite picky about where I stay but the hotel was beautiful and I loved everything about it.

The staff pays a lot of attention to cleanliness, there's always workers washing windows, floors and even flower pots. We weren't bothered by the timeshare speech that many others talk about. The entertainment by the pool was good. The staff really tries to get you involved and helped you have fun. Mackenzie was our family's favorite entertainer. He really went out of his way to make our visit as enjoyable as possible. Alex and Lili were also very nice and Chucho made us laugh a lot.

Our rooms (three in total) were all great with nice views of both sides of the hotel (lagoon view in one and ocean view in two). The walls weren't "paper thin" as other people have said but you could occasionally hear things from other rooms. That's a given staying in a hotel though, there are other people who you will hear sometimes.

The pool was great and the swim up bar was really convenient. The ocean was beautiful. However, it was very rough during our visit but that was probably due to the coming hurricane.

At all the bars, there were many virgin drinks available for kids but you need to specify more than once that you don't want alcohol. The breakfast buffet was our favorite meal, great food. Lunch didn't have such a wide variety but it was still pretty good. Dinner changed every night and was excellent for the adults and the kids. Some other reviews say that kids are out of luck at dinner unless they like fancy foods but that's not the case.
On our second night there we went on the Carlos and Charlie's trip with Mackenzie. It was a lot of fun, they had us dance on our chairs and sing. However, you do have to get home by yourself, but it's easy to get a bus and it's cheap. Night time shows were great. After the shows we would head over to the lobby bar where they had two singers six out of the seven nights. They were pretty good and took requests. The entertainment staff went every night and got the crowd dancing and having fun.

The Grand Royal Solaris was a great choice and I highly recommend it.

ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2005

We wanted to go away for our first anniversary and not spend alot of money so we were booked originally at Royal Solaris with Apple Vacations but I had an allergy attack there (too mildewy for me) so we paid a little bit more
to go to GR Solaris....very happy there ! It was new ! It was smaller with less people but more relaxing for us... pools were nice. The beach was not so great there but we liked to sit by the pool and look at the ocean. There were not that many restaurants opened since they rotated them.. they had theme and buffet nights with shows..some better than others, however, they always had one a la carte restaurant open in case we didnt want buffet which was good. Our room and bathroom were new and clean

It was an easy laid back vacation....nice place to getaway at reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2005
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

I recently returned from a week at the GR Solaris. I must say that I don't understand some of the reviews on this site. I absolutely loved this resort. I vacationed with 2 of my friends (we're 20yrs old) and can't say enough good things about the GR. This was not our first All-Inclusive, but it was the best one that any of us had been to.

When we arrived at the resort, we were instantly greeted by some of the nicest people. Throughout our stay, the staff was not only extremely helpful, but so much fun too! The entertainment staff was great. Cesar, Lilly, Mackenzie and Alex were great! We did notice that this resort was more family oriented, however if you are young don't worry. Not only did the staff make it even more fun, but as our week progressed, more people our age were at the resort which made things even better.

The resaurants served a variety of foods and the shows at night were great. At night, we opted to go with the hotel to the clubs, which I highly recommend. I must say that this was one of the greatest things about the resort. Every night, the resort takes you to a different club and at least one member of the entertainment staff accompanies the group. The hotel provides a bus for its guests to the club and when you get there, there is a section specifically for the GR guests.

The hotel is extremely clean and well-maintained. Our room was very nice. The only complaint from me is that the beds are extremely hard. I absolutely loved this resort, and I advise anyone to go there. My friends and I will be back there next year!

• Stayed June 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

The GR Solaris was an excellent stay for our family vacation. We went in mid july. The overall apperance of the hotel was beautiful and very very clean. The staff was helpful and very kind. We were not at all botherd by the timeshare sales pitch. The meals were good with a excellent buffet for breakfast and many choices for dinner including sit-down dinners and casual buffets. The lunch menu was alittle weak but not bad. The Entertainment staff was good, our favorite was Mackenzie. Many of the entertainers try their best to keep guests involved in the hotel activites and make guests feel welcome on their vacation. There were 3 pools in total on the hotel grounds. Very pretty, one pool seemed to be the main pool with a swim up bar. Good drinks and kids can enjoy a varitiy of virgin drinks also. The other pool was usually ment for water games and the hotel also included a relaxing pool and jacuzzi. Ocean was alittle rough Nighlife at the hotel included a dinner/show some nights and the shows were interesting. Waiters were very nice and a particualr waiter went out of his way more than once. The lobby bar has singing and the day time entertainers attended to greet the guests. Activites in the bar lobby ended around 11:30 but the bar is open later. Daily night trips to the clubs with the hotel happened everynight. Very relaxing atmosphere, not too crowded and an overall wonderful experience.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to GR Solaris Cancun? Share your experiences!