“Good time at GR Solaris, but will try another hotel next time” 3 of 5 stars
Review of GR Solaris Cancun

You added GR Solaris Cancun to your Saves list
GR Solaris Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulkan Lote 59 2 Etapa, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #35 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
San Francisco
“Good time at GR Solaris, but will try another hotel next time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2005

We just got back from a one-week stay at the GR Solaris, which we would rank as an average hotel. The hotel facilities (including the beach) are very nice. The only complaint we had was that the beds and pillows were really hard. We had read about this in previous reviews and thought nothing of it. But 7 nights on a mattress that was as hard as the floor was a bit much for us. It's also true that you can hear everything between rooms, but that did not turn out to be a big deal for us. The food at the hotel was average, though there were plenty of things to choose from for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We found Marco Polo to be the best restaurant in the hotel. We also found the hotel staff to be very friendly and helpful with the exception of the front desk staff. They were not very welcoming or helpful on a number of occassions. The PR staff was also very aggressive with us regarding the time share or "private club" pitch they have going. The highlight of our trip was the Coba and Mayan Village tour we took through "alltournative." The tour included pyramids and some adventure. It was also a lot less touristy than other tours. Definitely worth the money. The Isla Mujeres tour we took through Caribbean Funday was not worth the money for us. We would skip that tour in the future because we could have had just as much fun at the hotel pool and beach for no additional cost. If this is your first time in Cancun, beware of the people at the airport that are pushing private clubs (they don't want to call them time shares anymore). They stop you at the airport looking like officials and try to get you to leave a deposit for some event in exchange for free tours, etc. If you are willing to spend some time with these people, you can definitely get some money/tours out of it. Also, make sure to take plenty of small bills to tip and buy stuff at flee markets. We had some difficulty getting small bills at the hotel. All in all, we got a good value at GR Solaris. But if we return to Cancun, we would like to try another hotel (hoping for more comfortable beds and better food).

• Stayed June 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2005

We had trouble from the start. I booked through Funjet Vacations (whom I've used numerous times and loved) and the hotel did not have the reservation. We stood in the lobby for over thirty minutes while they checked on it and finally put us in a room. When the clerk asked, we said we wanted two beds and smoking. We got a king, non-smoking. We asked for ashtrays and they said they'd bring them right up. We unpacked our stuff and I used the coffee cup as an ashtray. An hour later, they called the room and said it was non-smoking and they could move us to a smoking room. We packed up and lugged our stuff back down to the lobby. At that point I explained that I'd reserved an ocean view room and that the first room was certainly not what I felt I'd upgraded to (it faced another hotel). They said it didn't show I'd upgraded, so I paid for it again and got a decent room overlooking both pools and the beach area. The bathrooms are tiny and only have showers, which soak the floor everytime you use them
The food was mediocre but nicely presented, lots of fruit carvings and ice sculptures made things look nice, but we didn't find much that we liked to eat and ended up eating away from the hotel more than we ate there. That was very disappointing since we'd paid for all-inclusive. Any water sport activities were at the other hotel (Royal Solaris) or down and across the street. Not convenient at all.
As stated in previous reviews, the beds are indeed extremely firm and the noise level is high. The doors have gaps on the sides and bottoms, I assume to provide airflow maybe, and you can hear every word in the halls. We didn't hear too much from the room next to ours though.
The room service menu is small and we ordered from it three times and all three times the order was wrong.
All in all, I'd say this is an average hotel. Nothing deluxe or luxury about it. It wasn't bad, just average, and we expected so much more.
By the way, Funjet is refunding my upgrade costs since I providing them with the receipt from the hotel.
When we go again, and we will since we love the beaches and snorkeling, this will not be where we stay.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2005

After reading such mixed reviews over the hotel I booked months ago, I'm happy to be able to say I had an amazing time at the GR Solaris. I'm sure the naive traveler will have the same idea about this hotel as I did...that is, that some people love it, some hate it, but its brand new so it can't be that bad. I am here to give you however, a specific, detailed, and truthful review that will hopefully help you in choosing or comforting your already booked trip to this hotel. Here are some of the things I was very concerned about from reading reviews about this hotel:

The beach. Many people had said that the beach was very rocky and included a lot of shade, and also that it was small. This was concerning to me obviously because when you are in Mexico, the most important thing is being at a place with a nice beach. Let me give you the reality to this. The beach is breathtaking, and probably one of the nicer ones you will run into. The shade comes late in the afternoon when the sun goes down behind the hotel, and is the same with every hotel...since they are all in the same place. The hotels, like the GR Solaris, that are located at the southern end of the Hotel Zone have the nicer beaches for some reason, such as the Hilton, and any hotel south of it. Beware though, the hotels near the downtown hotel zone near all the clubs and shopping have horrible beaches. Very rocky and very small. Although this leaves a huge gap inbetween the Hilton and these downtown hotels that could serve for some nicer beaches, I was very pleased with what we had at the GR Solaris. The rocky parts of the beach are small and scattered, and were non existant in dampening my time in the water. I went body surfing nearly everyday, and didn't once hit the rocks or step on them. They are truly insignificant.

Distance from downtown: After looking on a map, I had also been concerned about getting involved in the city and getting around outside of my hotel because the GR was so far down the road from the nightlife and the shopping. However, the city bus quite the mode of transportation. It costs 6.50 in pesos each way, (65 cents roughly,) which you want to make sure you get change for or they will screw you, and they take you up and down the only road in Cancun's hotel zone. Without a doubt it was the most convenient and efficient way to get around the city. Do not rent a car, it would be a mistake. The hotel also provides a transport to the clubs around the city, each night going to a different club. This is nice because the Entertainment Staff, who host this transportation, get you into the clubs without standing in line, and you feel like a VIP. Although most nights, (6 out of 7,) my friends and I took the city bus and roamed from club to club as we pleased. It was nice being away from the crazy night life, because it gave you the feeling you had a quiet place to come home and sleep at, away from the party lifestyle. Being away from the downtown area was one of the best things about the hotel.

Room quality: The rooms look incredible. Tile floors, large wooden dresser, big TV, and great balcony. NEVER were too warm or too cold, they had a thermostat which you could change the temperature as you pleased, and it worked to perfection. Beds were a little hard BUT, if your tired enough, then they do the job. I never had any problems. Plus, if your not tired, why are you sleeping? Overall great rooms.

Service: Everyone seems to agree this hotel caters to you like none other. So many workers and people cleaning and trying to make your stay a good one. It seemed everyone gave their best effort to make sure I had a great time, which I did. Could not complain. Room service is a little on the bland side however, I reccommend the Ice Cream, (Sherbet,) and the Ham & Cheese Baguette. Other than that you might find yourself disappointed, but its 24 hours a day and its free, so can't complain there. Then again, I only ate from the Lunch and Dinner menu though, so I can't comment on the breakfast. HELPFUL HINT: Try out the Deli, which is outside downstairs under the grand staircase which comes down to the pools. My friends and I found ourselves going there late at night, its open 24 hours a day and they cook you sub sandwiches heated just like Quizno's. Not too many people seem to visit it though, I don't know if its because of the location or the time its open. But truly good if Room Service doesn't cut it.

Food: Admittingly, The Lunch menu got a little bland. The buffet food was a little repetitive, but the dinners were great. Breakfast was by far the best meal of the day. Same food everyday, but millions of choices and I could not have had better at my home. Omelette bar, Champagne for breakfast, who could ask for more? Maybe eating breakfast and overlooking the Caribbean, which you can do by just stepping outside to eat. Truly a great meal.

Overall, I took what I read from the past reviews in this way. People can sit and complain about the pety and small things, which I actually noticed on occasion, (i.e. the food, hard beds, rocks on the beach,) and they can let these things ruin there vacation and dampen their stay. However, I simply could not go to Mexico only to complain. Everyone we ran into, was incredibly nice and enjoying themselves the same as we were. The only complaining I heard was from my nieghboring room, which a lady was screaming about not being able to get food at 4:30 PM, because she had to wait till 5:00. She could have ordered Room Service, but I didn't want to shout through the walls and let her know I was listening. Talk to Angel at the Lobby Bar, let him know Dustin, Tyler, Austin and Drew say hi. He's an awesome guy and will make you some crazy drinks. Just tip well and be courteous to everyone and the trip will serve you well. Say hi for us to the lovely couple who performs the nightly live entertainment at the lobby bar, they know every song in the world and you should feel free to request anything to them. If you would like to know any other specifics, you can contact me through email at pr1ncecazp1an@yahoo.com, I have so much more to say about this hotel and my trip to Cancun. Hopefully this can help you with your decision or attitudes about your stay in Mexico. Enjoy!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2005

My wife and I just returned from an 8 night, 9 day stay at the GR Solaris, June 12 - 20. Overall, we had a very nice stay (we were there on our honeymoon). This was indeed one of the nicer places I have ever stayed. I can say that many of the complaints about this place are exaggerated, but worthy of mention.

First, the resort itself is brand new, very nice and very clean. We had no problems with the staff, bartenders, cleaning crew, waiters, etc. Everyone was very polite and helpful, especially for how hard they are worked. We provided small tips periodically (two dollars or so) and always had clean rooms and good service.

The food was similar to many all-inclusives, if not a little better. Both my wife and I found it always good, and there was always a nice variety. Marco Polo is definitely the best for dinner. We always had lunch at the snack bar if we were at the hotel (not often). Breakfast was good, though we were growing tired of it by the 8th day. We ordered room service twice - it was prompt and warm. Drinks were good, though perhaps a little wattered down. I just ordered doubles when I wanted something stronger.

The pools were very nice. The ocean was a little rough (6 red-flagged days, 3 yellow). I did not experience any problems with shade, towels, or beach chairs.

If I have any complaints at all, it's with the rooms. The resort itself is indeed 4-star in my opinion. The rooms are not quite that nice. They are smaller than I expected. The rumors you have heard about the walls being thin are not completly true. The WALLS are not thin, but the adjoining DOOR is VERY thin. Also, one side of the door has a deadbolt you can turn, and one side has the keyhole (in other words, our neighbors could not enter our room if we kept it locked, but we could enter theirs at anytime - an alarming fact!). And since the door is so thin, yes, you can hear everything on the other side. Not a huge deal, unless you have especially loud neighbors (we did the first 2 days).

Also, the beds are hard, and I am not really picky about mattresses. It wasn't so hard I was unable to sleep, but I definitely expected a softer mattress at a 4-star place.

Don't get me wrong - we had a nice time and thought the resort was a good value. I would go back, I believe. I'm just trying to give the straight scoop. My recommendation: If you want an especially quiet, private vacation, stay somewhere else. Also, if you are really picky about large rooms and soft beds, stay elsewhere. This is a very nice all-inclusive though, and is much nicer than some of the older resorts in the hotel zone (e.g., Royal Solaris). If you have any other specific questions about anything, you can email me. pantley@hotmail.com. Enjoy your vacation.

Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2005

Our days of travel were June 19 - 23 and we were supposed to stay at the Royal Solaris but they were over booked so we was moved to the GR Solaris. We actually liked this hotel very much. There is a mini fridge as well as an iron and hair dryer in the room.

I am rather picky with my rooms and I was pleased with the ocean view we got. It was on the 5th floor and directly behind the pool with balcony. The ac worked well. The only thing I didn't like was the shower curtin in the bathroom...the water usually ended up everywhere.

We did take a walk up to the Royal Solaris for comparison purposes and I think they have the better beach as the GR Solaris had sea weed. Not sure if this was due to the rain, but it didn't hamper us enjoying the water. Although there were postings of sea lice, we didn't experience any of it.
From what we was told, guest at the GR Solaris can enjoy use the facilities at the Royal Solaris but not the other away around.

As for the meals, we enjoyed breakfast the most. I'm rather simple with it comes to my meals and the dinner menu's just didn't do it for me. Lunch was a repeat of hamburgers every day. For dinner, the gents are requested to wear long pants but we did see men with shorts on...same for the ladies.

Service for the most part was great. No real complaints.

Regarding the gym. For those who like to work out, they have a rather nice gym with good equipment. Because of the ac, I would bring sweats to work out. It was rather cold with just shorts and a tshirt.

Misc stuff:

There was one lady doing the topless bathing thing on the beach. I didn't really mind it except she would also walk thru the resort with her breast showing...lol...to each their own, I guess. No one said anything to her, though.

We went to the Over 30 Club on Sunday and had a blast. Janet and Joe are simply the best and it was really nice meeting them.

We booked our tours over the internet before going and had a mishap with Grayline tours. We was told to meet them at the Royal Islander for our Isla Mujeres tour and they never showed. We called from the lobby and ended up having to take a cab at their expense to the marina. It rained all day Monday so just a word of caution, they do not have shelter on the boat. We were cold and soaked but still enjoyed it. Most of the people took the shuttle back to Cancun after lunch. Can't say I enjoyed or saw much of the island though...a little disappointed with that. My suggestion would be to get those light plastic rain coats (poncho style), they really came in handy.

We also booked the Caribean Cruise and it was awesome. Really good time and highly recommended.

We bought tickets for the Bull fight via Cancun care and they referred us to Best day. It took two days for the rep to show up. Not really happy with their service at all. As for the Bull fight, it is not something I'd do again.

That's about it....5 nights turned out to be long enough. We were supposed to stay 7 nights at the Tucancun. From what we heard, it was full of the younger crowd. We didn't really experience that at the GR Solaris.. maybe because it was so far away. It was pretty quiet and no slamming doors.

Kansas City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2005

I took my family on vacation to Cancun and we stayed at the GR Solaris. I was very nervous because I had a 3 year old and a 6 month. I made all my reservations on-line so we weren't sure what to expect. However, we had an amazing time and never left the hotel, and that was my goal. I wanted to stay at an all-inclusive hotel that had everything so we didn't have to drive around w/the kids. The rooms are small, but we managed. The hotel was spotless and all the workers were so genuine and nice. They all loved our little girl. The pools were always clean and sparkling, they have a great kids pool connected to the adult pool. We used the swim up bar a lot and they always made my son (3 years old) the non alcoholic frozen drinks and he just thought that was the coolest. The beach isn't huge, but they have lounge chairs out there if you want to just lay out by the ocean. The food was great, they always have LOTs of choices. We loved the breakfast buffet, always fresh and good. At lunch the grill is going and it smells so good we mostly ate there, however, you don't have too, there are other places to eat. Dinners you always had 3 choices, a fancy place, a buffet and then a themed night. We mostly choose the buffets w/the kids and were always happy. Check in and out was easy, no hidden costs at all. We had a wonderful vacation and would go back. It is ranked a 5 star in Mexico, but again, in the States it would be a 3.5 or 4, mainly because of the size of the rooms. Enjoy your trip to Mexico, we sure did.

denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2005

The way I see it, it's hard to please everyone all the time. Unless of course, you're staying at the Ritz. However, for the money, I felt that the GR Solaris was a great value. You have to remember that it's an all-inclusive. I still felt that the food was above average, expecially for an all-inclusive. As everyone says, go to the Marco Polo for the better dinners.
I went with my girlfriend and my three teenagers, and we all had a great time. We had connecting rooms with an oceanview. We were lucky enough to get the free upgrade. Even though it was because of there error in not having our other room ready. It was worth the little bit of a hassle. It was the only hassle we had the whole week and it was short-lived.
Some of the compaints I've read about in other reviews are being corrected. The problem of no shade in the pool area; they have added coverings to the veranda's around the two heavily populated pools. The pool bar now stays open until 6:30 for mixed drinks, and 7:00 for beers. Don't ask me why the difference? They were in the process of stripping the flloor in the Rosmarinus Cafe (outdoor grill), and making it so it was not so slippery. The waiters at the pool are very efficient and fast. The pool bar would open at 10:00 am, and the waiter was on his way to us at 10:01 with our drinks, even before we ordered. He always remembered from the day before and took his chances that we'd want the same thing. When we were there we had three "yellow" flag beach days. The waves were very calm. The "red" flag days were a little more fun in the water. Other than the Bart Simpson complaint, I think they are very accomodating in resolving these issues and they do it very quickly. This is a new hotel and they're eager to remedy any problems from what I can see. Hotels in the US have problems as well, so don't be overly critical. These people work very hard to make sure you have a great vacation and they deserve the recognition.

One thing I noticed about the weather forecast before we went, was that every day called for t-storms. Don't let these weather forecasts scare you. They only have 6 rainy days in June. There was no chance they were to be on every day we were there. The forecasts only means that there is a chance of a t-storm. By the way, a t-storm lasts only about 20 minutes or so. We had great weather the whole week. This is definitely a 4-star hotel, but will problably never be a 5-star hotel. My kids loved the place, said it was the nicest place they've ever been, and we've been to some really nice hotels. I would definitely recommend it!!!

• Stayed June 2005

Been to GR Solaris Cancun? Share your experiences!