“Best trip we've ever been on” 5 of 5 stars
Review of GR Solaris Cancun

You added GR Solaris Cancun to your Saves list
GR Solaris Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulkan Lote 59 2 Etapa, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Special Offer
FREE RT AIRPORT TRANSFER
Ranked #38 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Ohio
“Best trip we've ever been on”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

My fiance and I decided that we needed a break from grad school and decided Cancun would be a cheaper way to get a tropical vacation. We ended up with the GR Solaris by chance as Expedia was having a limited time sale, and it would have been out of our price range otherwise. There is literally not one bad thing I can say about this place.

First, book transporatation to the hotel. There will be a ton of people bombarding you, and this will be much easier.

The hotel is amazing. Beautiful property, the pool is clean, and warm, and the swim up bar is very convenient. The rooms were also kept very clean by the maids, and very tasteful. The fridge is kept stocked, and it may have been because it was the off season, but our room was pretty quiet. The beach is still a little wrecked from the hurricane a few years back, but it does the job. And the ocean is warm enough to swim in in December!

The food was pretty good. Much of the same every night, but there is a big enough selection that you can try new things every night, including desserts. Make sure you eat at Marco Polo's and dinner before the shows they have every night (which are pretty cool). These also offer some good choices.

The staff is friendly and very helpful. The bartenders and waiters were great. couldn't have asked for more. They all speak English so there is no language barrier. Also, we were never approached about the time share, possibly because we are a young couple, but we were happy about it.

The surrounding area is also very clean and safe contrary to what I thought. If going down to the shops, clubs, restaurants etc. use the public bus. It is clean, safe, and cheap. If you want to go to any clubs, I highly recommend Coco Bongo's. They put on shows and the atmosphere is great. If you go to the flea markets, the vendors can be a hassel, but you can bargain them down pretty low if you try hard enough. Otherwise the souvenirs are ridiculously overpriced.

If going on a day excursion I highly recommend the day trip to ISLA MUJERES. You have several options including snorkeling and visitng a turtle sanctuary. Food and drinks are also included. You will visit an island with the calmest, clearest, whitest beaches I have ever seen! Again, everyone there is very friendly and fun.

I highly recommend this hotel for couples, familes, really anyone. The area was also great and we will definately be going back and staying at GR Solaris

• Liked — The great staff
  • Disliked — That we couldn't stay longer!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Polish first
Alexandria, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2009

My 18 year old daughter and I stayed at the GR Solaris from 1/15-1/19/09 and had a great time. As 2 females who didn't know where to go at first, we felt literally attacked when we wanted to get a ride from the airport to GR Solaris. Taxis are a lot more expensive and since we booked on our own through Travelocity, there was no pre-arranged bus. We finally just picked a van to ride in with some other people, which cost about $15/person, and were dropped off and the front door of the hotel.

We didn't experience any timeshare hassle at all. The entertainment staff was amazingly fun and friendly, and made an effort to get everyone involved. It was sometimes hard to find a pool-side chair as some people "saved" them early in the morning. There were a lot of families with small children as well as retirement age and the room walls were thin and could hear every conversation and tv show. The nightly shows were entertaining and fun, but we found the music in the lounge a little corny sometimes. Not really meant for the hard-core partyers, but fun for those who like a little slower pace. We definately found out that the amount of fun at night depended a lot on the mix of guests. Thurs and Sun nights were kareoke which was a little annoying when 3/4 of the singers were little kids.

The food was ok at the buffet. We thought breakfast was the best. Room service was kindof slow but better than some of the buffet food. We were disappointed at so little authentic Mexican food. Drink quality fluctuated with the bartender. We preferred the fruity drinks made outside much better than the drinks made in the lounge.

As two females, we liked venturing out to the clubs as a group from the hotel. Definately felt safer than on our own and we met many really fun people from all over the USA and Canada, who provided helpful tips as well.

The city busing is pretty easy to figure out and cheap. GR Solaris is further away from the clubs than some, but with the busing that isn't a problem. When getting on the bus, we mentioned our destination to the driver to make sure we didn't miss our stop.

When bringing US money, I suggest smaller dollar amounts as whenever you pay, you will get pesos in return. A calculator is handy or a cheat-sheet with pesos=US $ to carry around.

There are 2 flea markets. One that is more touristy located by the clubs and another that is close to Walmart which feels a little rundown and had more "local flavor" and you're more likely to get better prices.

The day before we left we pre-arranged a van to take us and it was $18 for both of us, nearly 1/2 of the cost to get to the hotel.

We also booked a trip to Xel-Ha and Tulum for sight seeing which was worth the money spent. Overall, a great trip and hard to leave!

• Liked — Friendly staff, nightly shows
  • Disliked — thin walls, lack of poolside chairs
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

We stayed at this resort from 30 November to 4 December 2008. We were greeted at the door by a female representative who was very courteous. She assisted in check in and then led us to the lobby bar to explain the resorts amenities. Over drinks she mentioned the time share issue only once. She did not pressure us at all. Two days later we decided to listen to the time share presentation. In exchange for three (3) hours of our time my wife was given a $75.00 voucher for the spa which she enjoyed. The time share offers were very tempting. It was like buying a car. They kept throwing lower and lower prices at you but with the state of the economy I decided to pass. We had a combination ocean/pool view room. The sliding patio door did not lock so I developed my own lock for the slider using a rod in the tracks. I don't think anyone was going to climb up to our fifth floor balcony but you never know. The room was nice and well kept. The fridge was always stocked. I agree with past reviewers that the walls are paperthin. A testament to Mexican engineering. You could hear doors slamming, kids crying and screaming,conversations, drunk and rowdy subjects in the hallways and even foot steps. Our neighbors had several kids who liked to wake up at 6:00am and make noise waking us up. In response we made noise very late at night which sent the message. The next morning all was relatively quiet.

As for the food. When we travel abroad we prefer to eat the cuisine of the country we are visiting. Plenty of tasty Mexican dishes at the bufffet. The food was decent. The Marco Polo is overrated. The mixed drinks were not watered down. Beer selection is limited to two Mexican beers. The bartenders were courteous and did not have an attitude. Unlike the bartenders at the Sandals Montego Bay Resort in Jamaica. The snack shack near the pool offers American fare. It is food that will put inches on your waist line and keep you feeling bloated all day.

We spent the majority of the time on the beach. The width of the beach is narrow. Plenty of available lounge chairs on the beach. The beach vendors were not pushy. I have dealt with these subjects on numerous occassions in the past and know how to wheel and deal with them. So for those of you who are inexperienced in negotiating beach prices beware. The pool became very cool towards sunset. The adult pool was frigid. As a result people tended to flock to the heated jacuzzi in the evening. Finding a lounge chair around the pools could be a problem. The vultures were out early in the morning to grab a lounge chair. By 9:00am most had been taken. Good entertainment around the pool by the staff.

Evening entertainment was very good. You could either relax at the lobby lounge and listen and laugh to Karaoke or go to an evening show and buffet. I am a weightlifter and love to workout. One of my first objectives was to check out the resort gym. It is small but gets the job done. For those of you that work out it has four treadmills, elipticals, and some free weights. A nautilas machine is also in this small workout room.

We left the resort once travelling via bus to the local flea market at the tip of the Yucatan. Use the City Bus. It is the cheapest way to travel. I realize that early December is not the peak travel season in Cancun. There were not many children or rowdy people at this resort. I spoke to several people who are time share members at this resort. They complained about all the kids during peak travel months and springbreakers.

A decent resort for the money. We would return but only during off season.

• Liked — Staff service
  • Disliked — Noisy rooms
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

GR Solaris is great - my husband and I went for a two year anniversary. We were there for 4.5 days, and it felt like a month. We didn't do the timeshare but were still able to go to the special shows they have at night. You can ask the staff for help with anything. Even though the weather was cloudy and windy during our stay, we still had a good time. We don't eat meat or drink alcohol, but we were still well fed. The cakes after each meal are amazing, and the staff works very hard. Leave your laptops and home and just relax. If you like spicy food, you may want to think about bringing a stash of red pepper flakes to dinner :) the seafood is amazing, and the breakfast is awesome. You should book this trip. Take a $.50 bus anywhere you'd like. if the beach isn't big enough for you, take a nice stroll or a bus ride to a public beach.

Stayed January 2009
ciarra5070
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

When we first arrived at the hotel things were great, we were checked in then passed off to a staff member that explained things to us about the place & was told if we had any questions, etc during our stay we could contact them & they would be very happy to help us out. Next day we were going to leave the hotel, we were stopped by a staff member & were put though a 2 hours sales pick and they tried to sell us a 'club memberships'. When we told them NO our nice staff member was NOT nice to us the rest of our stay. She wouldn't even give us the time of day then.
The room was very basic, was very cold, & right next to the elevator, which was very loud. The food was ok & drinks so so.

Stayed January 2009
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

We (a family of 4 all over age 20) enjoyed a superb week in Cancun, Mexico from 4-10 JAN 2009. We stayed at an all-inclusive resort named GR Solaris. We traveled round-trip from the airport with "Best-Day Travel" which was booked through Expedia. This worked out great. Be aware of the "vultures" in the airport lobby upon arrival that want to change your shuttle service, sell you day trips, and talk to you about "time-shares." The best advice I can give is to just collect your bags and walk outside to your pre-arranged transportation.

The hotel was fantastic and the food was great all week long. The all-inclusive equates to all the food and drink from 0630-0430 everyday. Yes, this includes alcohol too. The hotel offers three restaurants with standard operating hours and a deli which is open from 1600-0430. One restaurant (Marco Polo) is smaller and you must have reservations for dinner. It is an upscale place with excellent food. The hotel has nice, clean, comfortable rooms with tile floors. The bathrooms are also very nice and very clean. My only complaint is that the hotel staff upon reception schedules you automatically for a timeshare meeting for the following day. I skipped the meeting that morning and had a few messages on my hotel phone during the week asking me to re-schedule. I never did and it was not an issue.

In summary, my family of four had a fantastic family vacation on the beach. The food and drinks were excellent. I would go back in a heartbeat. I also highly recommend the "jungle zip-line trip" (the Selvatica Canopy Tour) which I booked on-line prior to my trip with Cancunvista. Another pointer, bring some tip money.

• Liked — Clean rooms, the cleaniness, great view, and superb food
  • Disliked — Some people are rude and very loud at night.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

Traveling with a family to Mexico for the first time, we were quite skeptical about both the country and the hotel. We were offerred a great rate by booking through the hotel's website. In exchange for a great rate we committed to a 90min presentation on their time share program.

I have to say overall we really didn't need to worry. We had a great time- the whole family.

We had our airport shuttle pre-arranged and managed to get through customs and find transportation without too much trouble( the whole process took about 35 mins.)

Cancun beaches were beautiful and clean. Looking out over the waves is one of the most beautiful scenes I have ever seen. The sandy area is easily accesible, the sand is soft and white. The water is warm. The beach area is narrow and there are a few rocks, but if you walk a few steps you can find easy entry. Walking up and down the strip you can sight see other hotels- some beautiful, some abandoned. Be warned, the ocean is dangerous with frequent riptides. There are lifeguards, but they are not as equipped and close as the ones in the states. You basically need to watch your kids yourself. While we were there there were 5 people that got pulled out one day and one didn't make it . I was told by a frequent visitor that 4 out of 5 years she has been to Cancun someone has died from a riptide somewhere on the beach. The second half of the week the water was calm with no problems.

The hotel is 4 yrs old and I would rate it 3 1/2 stars. It has a nice look of a spanish villa with some nice green elements and marble tile, but some of the interior decor is a little dated. With 300 rooms it is small , the pool /outdoor area is somewhat limited, but it sets up nicely. It is very clean. They literally had a cleaning staff member parked by the pool bathroom all day.

The food was not bad. No complaints with the drinks, you could get almost anything you wanted, except they don't have light beer. The breakfast buffet was extensive with everything from basic cereal to mexican specialties. The freshly squeezed orange juice was outstanding. You can make your own Mimosas and Bloody Marys. My kids (13 and 15) stuck to the basics, but I tried some Mexican food and would recommend the coconut bread, fried plantains and the soft white cheeses.

Lunch was a combination of salad/vegetable/mexican food and they always have a pasta station, so we would pick our way around and try this or that. The icecream station was a hit with our kids offering excellent mango, coconut and lime icecream flavors they hadn't had at home. In addition to the lunch station, they have a snack area that offers nachos, hamburgers and hotdogs, plus various fried foods to nibble on. The hamburgers were overcooked and had a funky taste. The kids gave the ribs high marks, and I give the homemade guacamole 5 stars.

For dinner you have a choice of the formal restuarant Marco Polo, the dinner theater/show room with a buffet, or another buffet in another restuarant. Because we were there for the holidays we had two special buffets in the theater area.
The Christmas buffet was spectacualar with stunning displays and icesculptures. The food layout is similar to cruise ships. There was plenty of shrimp available. The carving stations offerred two choices every day and I would stay away from this because the meat was tough. My husband could not stay away from the outstanding coconut cake. I had the best beef and fish carpaccio ever. The kids had mixed reviews on the desserts. Some of the very good looking chocolate cakes had a layer with honey, or marmalade and that threw them off. This room sets up like a room in a Wedding reception hall, so you are seated at huge round tables with other people. It is a little void of atmosphere and drink service is slow. If you have the energy they have a show every nite following dinner. We stayed for just one- the magic show which included audience participation and entertained the kids. I would rate the entertainment at cruise ship level. Most are musical numbers and that wasn't our thing. By the time we got around to want to eating at Marco Polo, the only reservations avail for the rest of the week were at 9:00P and this was just too late for us so we never tried it. Overall the food was filled with variety. I was impressed with the amount of healthy vegetable dishes available. My husband didn't like the food as much as I did overall. I do have to say, after 7 days of eating the same basic stuff, we all craved a good hamburger.

With our special rate we were given a room with two full beds. When we checked in we asked for an extra bed, which they provided a single mattress at no cost. This was the hardest mattress ever and we had to take turns sleeping on it, but it was free. The view from our room was right at another hotel. We had a balcony, but it had no purpose. The hotel did move us 1/2 way through the week to lagoon view room, but to be honest, we spent very little time in our room. We did not have any trouble with noise in either room. The rooms do not have a tub, only shower.

As part of our program we knew we had to attend this presentation. We must have missed the rep at check-in, but by the next day our rep was calling the room looking for us to schedule this. He was very polite and accomodating giving us days to choose when we wanted to do this. Additionally, he set up a free trip for us to Isla Meureles. This was worth it . It was an all day trip via ferry to an Island. We enjoyed free snorkel , free food and drinks all day. The snorkeling was awesome. I have scuba dived in my single days and this reef had as much to see as if you had gone diving. They made it as easy as possible providing all equipment, and letting you drift with the current. Again, I felt you had to keep track of each other out there. There are many other tours going on and I didn't see them counting their groups. An added option for $15.00 was a trip to the downtown Island area and taking a golf cart tour around the 2 mile perimeter. This is well worth it- offering real veiws of island life and beautiful vistas.

We were dreading our presentation and had spoken to a few guests around the pool. The hotel is part of a group of 5 hotels, 4 in Cancun, one in Cabos. It also is members with the timeshare groups RCI and ICE. All the guests who are members wear yellow wrist bands. The benefits to being a member include fixed rates, oceanfront rooms, free trips and a bunch of other stuff they will spell out to you. We spoke to an RCI member before the presentation and he gave us some idea what to expect. We have never done a timeshare, They had three. Well, they definitely have a system. They start with asking for your photo id and credit card. They say this is to enter you in a raffle, but they basically want to see if you are an eligible buyer. We declined the raffel, but flashed them the documents without providing the numbers to satisfy this step. The next step is taking you to breakfast and doing an informal interview . They ask questions about your vacation preferences, and lifestyle choices. This process is to gather information for them to eliminate all your objections. Finally, they throw some figures at you. If you decline the figures start to drop, and the offers start to change. Again, having never done a timeshare it got very confusing keeping track of what fees, charges etc: was being moved around. I think we were passed on to 4 different sales members, each trying a different approach. We just kept saying no. In the end they asked us to confirm that they had answered all our questions and treated us with respect, and yes, they had been very polite. Exactly 90 minutes had expired and we were let go. As the week progressed, I could see many other couples sitting at tables with salesmen. There is a definite presence. They do try to keep it subtle and professional, but it is constant.

Now, to our favorite part: The staff. This is what this hotel is known for: service and it didn't dissapoint. From the airport to the hotel everyone is helpful and friendly. Compare to other islands there are no lazy people here. The staff at the pool are young energetic individuals who try to seek everyone out and give them a good time. If you feel charitible, bring some extra money to tip these people. They work very hard for very low wages. They have a variety of activities that all ages can participate in. My oldest (15 )enjoyed soccer on the beach, water polo, basketball, ping pong and water volleyball. My 13 yr enjoyed bingo and the various competitions such as throwing a frisbee through a hoop, crafts and shuffleboard. Even my husband was inticed into an "Olympic" competition. This was very entertaining since it included drinking and coordination skills. Over the holiday they had special events with a visit from Santa and a Pinata. I think that without the entertainment My kids would have been a little bored. This was my biggest reservation. For our family it worked out perfect and I would not hesitate to return to this hotel. We normally enjoy a traditional east coast Christmas. This vacation provided us with a great winter getaway and a cultural experience. The hotel guests were a great mix of different ages and backrounds.

• Liked — service/ entertainment staff
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to GR Solaris Cancun? Share your experiences!