“Relaxing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of GR Solaris Cancun

You added GR Solaris Cancun to your Saves list
GR Solaris Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulkan Lote 59 2 Etapa, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #31 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have seen some great reviews of this hotel, and some that were not so good. First let me start off by saying that I have visited this resort about 5 times now. Last year we went to a different resort and did NOT like it.

GR Solaris is just simple, they make it easy for you to enjoy your time. This is one of the resorts what is well priced and although you shouldn't expect to come in and get VIP service from this resort it is also about what attitude you come in with. If I may suggest, email the resort prior to your trip..let them know you are a first or w/e timer and I guarantee that they will treat you very well. I think that as people we sometimes forget that to get respect and kindness...you must first show some.

The reason i keep returning is mainly due to the staff at the resort... there are better and bigger places to stay in Cancun but the service is not as good as GR. Depending on your stay and your attitude ..the waiters remember you and you will notice that they will sit you in their sections each day just so they can talk to you and serve you with kindness.

My husband and another couple stayed at GR for 8 Days and it was a slow week so we really got to relax and enjoy our time at GR. We loved the shows and and the food (except for Oriental at Marco Polo) otherwise it is usually buffet style dinners with plenty of options for you to choose from...LET ME SAY that this is not by any means fancy shmancy food...I really think that this is majorly due to the fact that the hotel cooks what Americans think "Mexican" food is otherwise if they made authentic you may not like it (which I think is wrong and they really should change it and make authentic Mexican food) My favorite is breakfast because you can get a lot of different options..we literately dream about the breakfast everyday before going on our vacation. GR has made sure you have ever option in the morning... and if you get hungry there is a snack bar by the pool with variety of different junk foods (please stay away from the chicken nuggets... there were awful).

Now all of you keep mentioning the "weak" drinks. I personally think that this is fine since they want to keep you in the pool to enjoy your vacation instead of DRUNK in your room. With all of the sun, you will be drunk very shortly.... id rather have 10 weak drinks than 3 strong ones, but just my opinion.

For anyone who have trouble with your back, please email the hotel prior to your check in or once you get there, and ask for a foam top mattress (this is just a padding they put on top of the mattress) Most people do not know that the hotel offers this...so please use it.

feel free to reach out to me with any questions.

Room Tip: I recommend using expedia, I found that I never had an issue booking with them (check retailmenot.co...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at GR Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
It is always lovely to read that our guests enjoy themselves during their stay, especially when it is their fifth time at Gr Solaris. Thank you for pointing out how great our staff is especially their attitude and kindness.

We appreciate for taking your time for writing your comments and suggestions as the way you did, such an objective feedback. It is very important for us your opinion therefore we can improve our guest services.

Warm regards,

it is a real pleasure for us to welcome you at,
^X

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
  • Polish first
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

As soon as we arrived we were welcome with some beverages. The check in was very quickly. After the check in you will be ask to fill out a little form and to seat down for a "quickly summary of the hotel"...say no as soon as possible, the summary turn to be an invitation to go to a breakfast for a timeshare offering. After you say "No" they respect and do not ask anymore. The rooms were very clean and has a mini fridge with free beers, water and soda. The food was very good and diverse. Each night has a theme with shows (Caribbean night, Mexican night, karaoke night, magic night). The pool was very clean but the pool bar closed at 5 o'clock. There is a pool and Jacuzzi only for adults. They have waiters service in the beach and the pool. The hotel has a lot of entertainment all day and night, for adults and children. The public transportation stop in the front of the hotel and is only $1 person and very secure. The best bartender is Hamilton and the best waitress is Matilde from the lobby bar. I really recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
It is always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. We are happy you enjoyed the shows, the food and our staff. Your feedback is very important for us therefore we can improve our services and make your vacation a memorable one.

Thank you for recommending GR Solaris. We hope you stay with us again during your next trip to Cancun.

Kind Regards
Budd Lake, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I also stayed at the Grand Solaris In 2011. Food was great ,staff was awesome always something going on. The Beach is good not all that big but nice sandy beach Always something going on at the resort. Again For the price its well worth it for family's with kids.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
state island, new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

This was our second time at this resort to celebrate our 15 wedding anniversary and we loved it! The hotel management sent us a bottle of champagne and fine cookies as a token of congrats! What a nice detail! We have been 14 times in Cancun and stayed in several hotels. However, this one is our favorite. Thanks a lot to all the staff members, including Carlos, Salaya, deli guys, room service, which is excellent.
PLUS, This is one of the few hotels that still offers nightly entertainment with high class shows. The property is beautiful and family friendly.
We cannot wait to return. We felt welcome and comfortable.

Room Tip: Best rooms are the ocean front with additional bed.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing such a beautiful comment about GR Solaris. It is always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their stay, especially when it is their second time at GR Caribe. We really hope you had a memorable 15th wedding anniversary with us.

We will make sure to inform our staff, especially: Carlos, Salaya, deli guys, room service about your great feedbacks for their excellent job.

We are looking forward to see you next year.

Kind regards,
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Wonderful Team members from breakfast to the last drink of the night!!
The entertainment team is amazing full of energy ALL day and night :)
"GRACIAS" Jona, Chris, Dani, Nahin, Sandy, Ale and Ray you made our trip to Cancun memorable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review regarding your stay in our Hotel. We loved reading that you had a memorable experience with us.

Thank you for pointing out how great our staff is, from the first breakfast to the last drink of the night, especially Jona, Chris, Dani, Nahin, Sandy, Ale and Ray :)

We are looking forward to see you soon!

Best regards.
Hoteles Solaris de Mexico
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I stayed at the GR Solaris Cancun during the first week of September, 2013. Overall, I had a very positive experience, but having read a number of reviews of this resort both before and after I returned, I thought a more detailed explanation was necessary for other travelers to determine if this is the right choice for them in selecting an all-inclusive vacation package.

BACKGROUND
The GR Solaris Cancun is a family-oriented all-inclusive resort, located in the lower part of the hotel zone (south of Playa Delfines, and north of Punta Nizuc). It is walking distance from El Rey, but not much else. There is a bus stop right in front of the hotel, which makes accessing shopping, restaurants, and nightlife farther north in the hotel zone relatively simple (unless you prefer taking a cab).

I, personally, have now stayed at an all-inclusive resort on ten separate occasions (including this trip), and overall, this resort fares comparably with the other resorts I have stayed at (2 different Club Meds, and a beach resort in Cartagena, Colombia). The GR Solaris is not a huge property compared to some other resorts in the hotel zone, which minimizes the amount of walking you need to do to get from one activity / location to the next.

At this point, before going into specifics, a word about "expectations" should be mentioned. Too many times, in both written reviews and on actual trips, I have seen people grouse about things that really were not a resort's fault, but rather were the result of expectations which diverged from reality. Put simply, if you are paying a bargain-basement price for a value resort, you shouldn't be expecting gourmet food, limousine service, Broadway-quality entertainment, and a butler at your beck and call. Nor should you be complaining about anything you could have learned ahead of time simply by going to the resort's website. That said, let's get right to the specifics.

THE GOOD
Service really appears to be the name of the game at GR Solaris. Almost every staffer I ran into had a smile on their face and was pleased to help in any way possible. Pillows too hard? No problem. A softer pillow was delivered to my room. A/C not at the right setting? Again, the issue was taken care of expediently. The level of service, for me, really started at check-in, when the travel company I booked the vacation with somehow failed to get my reservation in with the hotel. From the moment the problem was discovered, Fernanda at reception worked on the problem with my vacation company for the next 24 hours to sort out the mess, and brought it to my attention when the problem was fixed.

Cleanliness is also a major source of pride with the resort staff. There was not a section of the resort that was not consistently being attended to in some fashion or another. Even in the small gym on the premises. After someone worked out on a particular machine, an attendant came over and wiped the machine down. My room (a standard lagoon-view room) was always kept spotless by the housekeeping staff.

Then we get to the food. Both before and after this trip, I read a lot of negative reviews about the food at this particular hotel. Having stayed there, I can say that these other reviewers either didn't eat at anywhere but the snack stand, or had ridiculous expectations, or the hotel has since found a new chef. In any event, what I found was a wide variety of choices at every meal. The breakfast buffet offered an omelet station, fresh-made waffles and pancakes, scrambled eggs and huevos rancheros, an assortment of fruits, breads, juices, cereals and yogurts, as well as some cross-over brunch/lunch items every day. A full sit-down lunch was available every day at the outdoor restaurant. There, I had the opportunity to have everything from ceviche to fajitas to steak, as well as an assortment of hot dishes and cold plates. Dinners at the resort varied. On many nights, the buffet dinner was served in the banquet room so that guests could watch the evening show and eat simultaneously. Those nights tended to be theme nights (e.g., Mexican night, Caribbean night, etc.) and the menus matched the appropriate themes. Overall, I had a great variety of food over the course of the week, and all of it was well cooked. While some things were standard buffet fare and were average, I did enjoy a number of really tasty dishes (including several fish dishes .... and I'm not typically someone who eats fish).

While we're on food, I should mention that I had the opportunity to eat at the a la carte restaurant, Marco Polo, one evening. I found the food there tasty and creative, especially the "mango sushi" desert (mango sliced like sushi placed over portions of sweet rice .... yum!).

Moving on, several staff members have to be mentioned just for the overall experience. Hamilton, Eider (sp?), and the rest of the bar staff at the lobby bar were very entertaining and really keep people coming back. Carmen and Luis at the pool always made sure drinks were flowing. Sandy, Dani (Dantay), and Alessia on the entertainment staff really worked hard to try and make sure everyone was having a good time (seek my comments below on this), and concierge Ale (jandra?) really was a saint the first day I arrived.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD
While I hesitate to call this portion of the review "The Bad," I think everyone who considers this resort should be warned. Be prepared for some sales pressure from people working as "concierges" at this resort. (Thankfully, I didn't get the pitch because, as a single traveler, I didn't fit their demographic. But many of the couples and families I spoke to over the week did.)

Solaris (which has three properties in Cancun and one in Los Cabos) apparently has revised the time-share concept and now sells "vacation club" packages. Their goal appears to be to market to foreign couples between the ages of 30 and 70 who vacation regularly. While I can't comment on the details of the costs of the club packages, I do know that many of the guests who I spoke to found it invasive of their vacation time. Also, there was some preferential treatment being given to guests at the resort during my stay who were vacation club members (they all wore gold bracelets), which seems to undermine the egalitarianism you normally would find at an all-inclusive resort. My interpretation of this behavior is that the Solaris resorts are really time-share resorts, not hotels, and that they sell vacant rooms on the open market when they have vacancies to fill.

THE COULD-BE-IMPROVED
Again, I hesitate to call anything bad at this resort. But there are some things that could be improved which would undoubtedly make this a better experience for everyone.

1. Alcohol. When you market your resort as a place which serves unlimited cocktails, there is an expectation that there will actually be alcohol in the drinks. I may be slightly exaggerating here, and, in all fairness, I have read numerous reviews of other resorts throughout the hotel zone where past guests have stated that the drinks were "watered down." But the mixed drinks at this resort tended to be on the weaker side. The reason why guests book an all-inclusive vacation is to achieve value. And, when you feel like you are being cheated out of one of the major selling points of the resort, you do not walk away feeling that you've obtained full value for the money you have paid.

Adding to this dilemma at this resort is the fact that they DO have premium label brands which they "hide" behind other bottles and only serve to vacation club members wearing the gold bracelets.

Further complicating matters are the hours of operation of the bars. The pool-area bars both close by or before 5 p.m (even if people are still in the pool and the sun doesn't go down for several hours more). And the lobby bar tends to close down by 1 a.m. Which means unless you drink beer (available both in the Deli and in your room refrigerator), the "party" ends very early at this hotel.

2. Entertainment. Daytime entertainment was provided by an entertainment (or animation) staff, and night-time entertainment typically consisted of shows by local performers followed by some level of activity in the lobby bar / lounge.

First, a few caveats about my personal experience which I do not want to confuse with what the resort offers. I found that there was a very strange vibe from the guests that were at the resort the week of my stay. People just did not want to participate in many of the activities that the entertainment staff tried to engage them in. Kudos to Sandy, Dani (Dantay), Alessia, and the rest of the entertainment staff for really making an effort to get people to participate and for trying to make sure everyone was having a good time. In all of the beach vacations I have taken, I have never seen the level of apathy I saw of the guests during my stay, and I honestly cannot blame the resort for that one bit. (And, after speaking with several of the members of the entertainment staff, they, too, found the lack of participation by the guests to be a bit off what they normally encounter.)

Now, regarding the nighttime entertainment, on show nights, the buffet was brought to the ballroom and seating was arranged in larger tables than in the restaurants. As an aside, one of the things I always loved about Club Med vacations was the "communal dining" aspect, where, at every meal, you were forced to sit with 7 other people. It provided many great opportunities to meet other guests at the resort over a meal and get to know people in an informal setting. My hope with the larger tables on show night was that I would encounter a similar experience, and have an opportunity to meet more of the other hotel guests. This was not to be the case. The hostesses did not seat people in an effort to maximize social interaction, and the shows tended to start shorty after dinner started. NOTE TO THE GR SOLARIS: If you wait an hour, maybe a little longer, before starting the entertainment and allowing the guests to talk for a bit and get to know each other, you might find that you have fostered better relationships over the course of a week, and you might end up making it easier on your entertainment staff to get people to participate in other activities en masse.

As for the shows themselves (magic show, Mexican dance show, etc.), they were entertaining and colorful, but the overlap between dinner (with people going in and out of the dark room to get food constantly) was distracting. Again, another reason to allow people to eat first and then watch the show.

Moving on to the lobby bar, which also has a small dance floor and an even smaller "stage" for some entertainers to perform, during the week I stayed they had two musical acts (one that played for two nights, another one that played for three), and they had a Karaoke and Casino night one evening.

One of the two musical acts was an older couple, led by a Johnny Cash sounding singer who tried to sing more modern songs. NOTE TO THE GR SOLARS: Please get rid of this act!!!!! They literally sucked the life out of the bar. Absolutely no one was dancing to their music, and I actually watched people leave the bar area after a while because they were tired of what was being played. It honestly would have been better just to have a DJ on those nights than to allow that act to continue to play.

CONCLUSION
I think this is a nice property with a well-trained staff. As long as you don't come to the resort expecting a Ritz Carlton experience at a budget price, and if you can accept the issues noted above with the alcohol, lobby bar entertainment, and potential sales pressure you might face (which I encourage the resort to work on), I think couples, families, and even solo travelers can have a good vacation experience, as there is something for everyone here. With the right group of guests, it could be a fantastic experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
We appreciate for taking your time for writing your comments about your perception of the services offered by GR Solaris but above all we are happy to read such an objective feedback.

We take very seriously the suggestions of our guests. Guests like you help us to grow up and improve, overall, to increase the quality of our services exceeding their expectations through unique vacations.

Warm regards,

It's always a pleasure to welcome you at,
Hoteles Solaris de México.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Our vacation was 40% lower then comparable hotels in Cancun and for good reason. This hotel appears to serve as a platform for Solaris properties to constantly pressure you to a Timeshare preview. Unfortunately, this business model rendered the services of the concierge useless and therefore undermines the exceptional service from the rest of the hotel staff. You basically have to avoid the concierge who, otherwise aren’t helpful at planning excursions outside the property unless it’s an excursion with one of the tour companies stationed on site. The advice we received from the concierge about renting a golf cart on Women’s Island was to bring our drivers license and a credit card to pay for the cart.Note: they actually only take cash and therefore we had to race to an ATMwith large fee for extra cash. Tip: Take the Ultramar Ferry from Playa Carosol for $17Us and wait to book the golf cart on the island for 550 peso, well worth it to see the island and make stops along the islands coast beaches and cantina’s at your own pace. Towel service at the hotel is located at a tour company booth, so again you never just get clean towels without the constant pressure of being sold a tour. When I am on vacation, I don’t want to be constantly bombarded with a sales pitch, just give me my clean beach towels, please. The Entertainment staff in charge of nightly shows did a great job and produced a professional production when scheduled, I think there were 5 shows in 7 nights Unfortunately, they have an underused lobby bar with dance floor that would only take a semi professional DJ to make for great evening entertainment. The Entertainment staff seemed more interested in selling tickets to nightclubs at $50 PP then making the evening entertainment work. The entertainment staffs in the lobby bar were largely the same staff running the pool entertainment. And are no were near as serious about their job as the staff who put on the production of the 5 nightly shows. The Entertainment staffs at the pool were so immature as to comment on the bodies of most females in bikini’s who participated in the games, making me grateful my teenage daughter wasn’t with us on the trip. If you participate and can’t swim, the staff comment it to the audience gathered around the pool. If you are a bit over weight or have any gay looking tendencies, the staff get carried away and comment which discourages participation. . I would recommend the hotel because of the reduced price and would recommend with the above caveats.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Please accept our most sincere apologies for not being able to exceed your expectations during your stay with us. Allow us to inform you that this kind of incidents are not part of the service we want to project.

We can assure you we always try to do our best for that reason we care about your feedback and we have informed our General Manager and our Entertainment manager about it so we can corrective take action so that doesn't happen again.

Once again we apologize for the inconveniences, we hope you visit us soon and see our improvement.

Kind regards,
^X

Been to GR Solaris Cancun? Share your experiences!