We stayed at GR Solaris Christmas 2012 through the first week of January. Overall the experience was outstanding. Our family includes two boys, ages 7 and 2. Here are the pros and cons from a family perspective.
• An abundance of meal options at all hours
• Clean, quiet rooms
• Friendly staff that's eager to please
• Amazing entertainment staff, especially Jennifer
• Clean, well maintained facilities
• Safe environment – life guards, etc.
• Family friendly activities like daily bingo, kids club with games, activities, caring and attentive staff, etc.
• Very entertaining magician shows once a week for the kids – ours really enjoyed
• Evening entertainment (had difficulty taking advantage of this due to the age of our youngest)
• Clean, well kept beach
• Pools with varied depths for everyone
• Easily accessible food / drinks at all times
• Reliable internet (wasn't utilized much as this was vacation but appreciated)
• OUTSTANDING Christmas and New Year events / activities for the entire family, including a visit from Santa, who comes via parasail in Mexico (kids seriously LOVED this)
• Easy access to other parts of Cancun – right on bus line
• Bartenders (two examples being Louis and Ramon, who still come to mind three months after our trip) were outstanding
• Food is an epicurean's delight – plenty of options that vary from day-to-day and cover the gamut
• Some of the entertainment was on the risqué side for young children; we're liberal with respect to this but some may be out off
• No life guards at pools; while some may call this a negative we were comfortable as we believe that we should watch our children and not pass the responsibility off
• Evening entertainment starts a little late for young children but this is to be expected and thus not really a negative – mentioned only for those with small children
• Rooms facing the courtyard can be loud late, especially on New Year's Eve; rooms facing adjacent properties can be equally as loud – both acceptable given the holiday, in our opinion
Overall we LOVED our time at GR Solaris and intend to return – over the holidays and at other times.
At no time did we feel pressured or obligated to tip. Regardless that's what we do and it was appreciated.