“Yummy fresh sushi at a great price!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Asian fusion
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Cancun, Mexico
“Yummy fresh sushi at a great price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I live in Cancun and had driven by this restaurant probably thousands of times but never visited. Finally made the trip last night with my husband and 7-month-old, and boy was it worth it! The restaurant is located in Plaza Peninsula, which is a small but upscale shopping center on a main road in downtown Cancun. From the hotel zone (where I live), it's a pretty straight shot, so it's easy to get to.

Wazaaabi has a lovely deck that we sat on for our dinner. A nice touch was that the deck was no-smoking, so we could enjoy sitting outside with our little one without suffering someone else's cigarette. We ordered drinks, an appetizer, four rolls and dessert. Everything was super fresh and came out quickly. My favorite was the Tokyo roll, but they were all good and nicely presented. The oreo tempura dessert with ice cream was over the top (but we still ate it all!). Our entire check came to around $65.

The atmosphere was really relaxing and kind of romantic. We will definitely be back, although next time I'll probably try a martini instead of wine. Also, they deliver to the hotel zone, which is nice since most downtown restaurants don't.

• Visited February 2013

Toronto, Canada
“Get out of the hotel zone and eat where the locals eat - try Wazaabi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Wazaaabi and her twin restaurant Michelinos are in a mall composed of principally restaurants. It was about 20 min from the hotel zone by cab. The night we ate there, we were the only two non-locals in the place. It is too bad because the food, the service and ambiance are worth a visit.

The fish is excellent. Cut generously and correctly, it is very good sushi. Please accept that I love sushi and only give excellent to two places/sushi chefs. Wazaabi nigiri is one step below, but not for the lack of trying. Freshness extends to more than just the tuna.

Their hand rolled makis were really good. They were also kind enough to adjust a maki for my wife and I. Mexicans seem to love cream cheese in a number of their makis. We are not huge fans. It works in some and less so in most others. It was removed on request.

Wazaabi does also make a rather fun citrus soya sauce that is worth trying.

Service is charming and conscientious. The manager makes a point of checking in. No limitations in language/

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Mexico
“Love the Tuna - I am hooked!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have to say that I have been here a few times now and its so good i wanted to take time to share. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE anything that has their fresh Tuna......when I say FRESH, I mean it too! My favorite is their Chano Salad...must try. Fresh tuna, Avocado, soy sauce....delicious! The Nigiris and Makis are also great as ell as their Toro don with vegetables Service was good and I like that the manager stops by every table to make sure they have everything they need. Last but not least there is a full bar so it;s a great place to stay and have a drink as well as dinner. One night they had live music and free mojitos...that was a nice surprise that made our evening even more pleasant. Whether you are local or a tourist....this is a great place to try!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“If you thought there is no good sushi in Cancun, check out this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

A beatiful small venue, creative dishes, very large portions - pick what you think you will eat, then remove half of it before ordering.

The music choice is nice and relaxing, you can sit outside on a nice patio or inside in a tastefully decorated area.

The servIce was outstanding, and we've got a superb desert "on house" in the end. This place is well worth the drive from hotel zone.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Hospitality, great food and more...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This small restaurant near downtown Cancun is a real find. It is two restaurants in one. One menu lists all the sushi options, and the other menu offers more traditional salad, chicken, beef and seafood dishes. I chose its tabbouleh appetizer and a glass of red wine. I understand their Mexican breakfast is the 'best', also. The waitstaff were kind and helpful, while the manager went out of his way to drive me across two busy streets, as I was walking back to my lodging. What a thoughtful gesture for this older female traveler!

My transportation to the restaurant was a taxi ride by Angel Garcia Gongora, who speaks English and provided me with a private tour to Playa del Carmen and Puerto Moreles and a very early airport transfer. He was helpful and accommodated my every wish. I highly recommend him. You can find him on Facebook or 9988453196.

• Visited January 2013