“Great All Inclusive Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas

You added Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulcan, Km 8.5, Manzana 50 | Lote 4, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Join us & get 500 Points
Ranked #20 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Great All Inclusive Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

Great resort, clean and with fine details in lobby and rooms. Great service at check in (Teresa was very friendly); this is an all inclusive, including meals and drinks, there is a buffete for breakfast, lunch and dinner or you can make reservations to one of four sit-down restaurants for a nice dinner with two or three a-la-carte choices, be on time or you would loose your reservation and for males pants are mandatory (no shorts or bermudas); sandals are acceptable. There is an all day service bar at the pool and beach and indoor and outdoor bars at night or there is a refrigeratoor with beer and sodas and tequila, rum and brandy available in your own room. This Riu Palace is better than the one next door. This should be a better place for couples, the one next door probably better for families.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (762)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

First off i have to mention that when me and my girlfriend booked this hotel we were a little worried from some of the reviews, however after 2 weeks at the palace it is pretty obvious how picky some people are. Yes the hotel does smell a bit fusty when you get in there, but its just one of those things, your in the tropics, deal with it!

The hotel its self is amazing, cant pick a fault with it. I had several friends staying in Cancun at the same time, after one visit to the palace they were trying to get put in our hotel they loved in that much!

Rooms- cant fault the rooms, they were big, cleaned every day, mini bar restocked every day, fully air conditiond etc. The only problem we had was that my girlfriend had £10 go missing out of her purse in the draw, this got me pretty angry as it was obviously stollen, but ah well, moving on! We was on the 8th floor with a large balcony and an ocean view, amazing waking up in the morning to such a great view!

Food- il keep this short and sweet. We never went into any of the special restaurants maninly becuase i forgot to take long trousers, but me and my girlfriend loved the food from the buffet so much we wasnt too bothered. Firends had told us the Japanese was very good, while the steak house wasnt worth the hassel of booking as they steak was apparently taken from the buffet!!

Staff- pure and simple the staff make this hotel extra special. From the pool waiters down to the cleaners they work their socks off. Nothing was ever enough for them, and it seemed as though they genuinly wanted you to have a great time. As soon as your glass is half empty you will have a full glass on the way. We tipped our staff a lot, not to get 'better' service, but just because they deserved it!

Other than that the beach was great, was never too busy, great white sand, loved it. The pools were great. The fun pool always had some activities going on and with the swim up bar you are kept busy all day! The other pool was good too, bit quiet, but nice if you want to chill out for a while.

Trust me i have stayed all over the world, some of the reviews on this site are very very picky and a little petty. This hotel is 100% a 5*, some things need looking at however i will be booking to go back next year, as will 10 of my friends.... they loved it that much!!!

I have prob missed a lot of stuff, but based on my self and friends experience for the money this is the place to go!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Sterling, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

Ok..let me first begin by saying that I literally took 2 months to
decide on where to stay in Cancun. I'm extremely picky on where I stay when
it comes to hotels. They have to be extremely clean and ambiance is
huge. The Riu Palace won due to the cost...along with reviews that I read on here, Expedia, and Orbitz. We only paid $1477 for a package for 2 on Expedia (flight and lodging included).

Moving on...
When we drove up to the hotel, I was immediately impressed as the
exterior design is beautiful. However, upon entering the front door,
I was smacked in the face with the mildew/moldy smell that several
have already mentioned. It was unavoidable. It was heavy in the lobby
and in the rooms. It was bothersome to me at first, simply because
I'm not used to it, but after awhile...I guess I got used to it, so it
didn't annoy me as much. The hotel is pretty, but too dim in several
areas...and almost creepy...reminded me of the hotel in the movie "The
Shining.

THE ROOMS
They were clean for the most part; however, the lampshades were
dirty..and so were some areas of the wall. About 3 of our lamps
didn't work, which was a bummer as the decor was dark cherry wood...so
I would have preferred to brighten it up a bit. The bed was way too
hard. I sleep on my sides, and while I was there, I woke up limping as one side of my hip was sore from the rock bed. I'm only 30 years old...so I don't have
hip problems..BTW. The room is also very humid...so everything always
felt damp...but I'm sure it's like that in all of the hotels just
because of the location. The view was nice. We had an Ocean View
room that overlooked the "fun" pool and the ocean.

THE SERVICE:
Now, because of the service...I give this hotel a rating of Very Good.
Whatever we wanted, we got. Plain and simple.

THE FOOD:
The food was great for the most part. The only restaurant that we
didn't like, was the one inside, right next to the lobby...forgot the name. We ate there for lunch when we first got there and was only impressed by the service. I got the shrimp risotto and my friends got the beef and pizza. The
buffet food was actually really good...and we were surprised that there were so many negative reviews about it. We ate there for breakfast and lunch each
day and were satisfied. The only issue that I had with the buffet, was the black birds at the outside buffet area who blatantly dipped their beaks into the food and flew away with chunks of food. That can't be very sanitary. The specialty restaurants were pretty good.
Our fave was the Japanese restaurant. I have no complaints there.
The Steakhouse was good...because of the service (whatever we wanted...we got!); however, they gave
us some steak that was supposed to be rib eye...and it was more like a
pork chop. The meat was white and very flat. I dunno...it was weird.
Krystal (French) was not good. The only thing I enjoyed from there
was the dessert. So...overall...the food was good. I wouldn't mind
eating there again...but I would definitely like to stay somewhere else. You definitely get your money's worth nonetheless.

MISCELLANEOUS
The beach was OK. There were too many rocks...and because there was a storm during our stay....there was too much seaweed washed up on the shore...which wasn't too big of a deal...but it was a bit annoying.

The 2 pools were very nice; both where infinity pools. The one right outside of the lobby was the quiet pool. Things were pretty mellow there as there was no bar and not enough sun. The fun pool was awesome. It had a regular bar and a swim up bar...music...and entertainment. Plus around 4pm they put up the volleyball net....which always brought a crowd.

The evening entertainment inside of the hotel was a bit cheesy on Thursday and Friday, but pretty awesome on Saturday and Sunday (Mariachi band and dancers). The bartender was the BEST, though. I don't remember his name, but he was inside of the entertainment lounge with the stage. He was super attentive and generous. The entertainment staff also shuttled hotel guests to the most popular clubs each night. The cost was around $45-50 for transportation, club admission, and open bar. If you don't want to spend the money, just go next door to the club inside of The Riu. It was decent if you just wanted to dance and get out of the hotel. Admission and drinks were FREE. Oh...and when you come back from the clubs...be very quiet as the hotel lobby is deserted and if you're too noisy...you will get "in trouble"...like we did. ;-)

Oh...MAKE SURE YOU BRING YOUR HOTEL RESERVATION PRINT OUT...or you will have to pay $5 to use the internet and print out your confirmation. They won't accept you just giving your name and showing ID.

I wouldn't be totally against staying here again...but I definitely don't plan on returning next time. All of my clothes still smell like mildew...and I never got a good night's sleep because of the hard bed. It was also a little on the boring side...not a lot of young, fun people. We traveled with another couple..so we were trying to party...and this was not the place for that.

I may be too picky...so I would probably recommend this to a friend with lower expectations. The next time...I'm staying at Le Blanc.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

Stayed at the riu palace in june for my husbands 50th birthday,we had stayed in riu hotels before (with no complaints) but was recommended to go to the riu palace as according to the travel agent they gave that extra special treatment for special occasions.

The hotel was absolutely beautiful,the pools were beautiful,the weather was beautiful and the restaurants and food were wonderful and the staff were all so very friendly and worked so very hard to serve you.Well that is apart from the reception staff who totally let this hotel down!

Before arriving i had emailed this hotel to say we were there for my husbands 50th and would they please be able to decorate the room on his birthday and provide a cake in the restaurant at night(which has never been any trouble in basic riu hotels).We arrived on the 12th and i reminded them again and they said they would put it on the computer and put on restaurant reservation sheet.
I again reminded them on the 14th,the day before,and was told not to worry about it that it was all being taken care of,they didnt even want my balloons and banners that i had taken,said they had their own.
On the 15th,my husbands actual birthday,i went to reception again to say we would be out for the day and they told me it would all be decorated for our return.
Imagine my surprise when we got back and there was nothing!
I sneaked back down to reception and this time spoke to Elizabeth,the only one who seemed capable of anything,she profusely apologised and spoke to the manager and assured me that if i could get my hubby out the room for an hour,that she would make sure that balloons,banners allsorts were put up.She also checked with restaurant reservations to make sure it was noted on their computer and told me they would put decorations on the table, bring out a cake and sing happy birthday to him.
I kept my husband out of the room for 2 hours and youve guessed it when we went back - nothing!!!
Went to the restaurant later but again ,no table decorations,no cake,no happy birthday!!!!
I was so upset,i couldnt have done anything more,having emailed before arriving and reminding them 4 times!!

When i went down to reception the next day to complain all they said was "Oh dear,dont know what happened there!",they couldnt have cared less.
I complained to the hotel manager and 3 days after my husbands birthday we were given a birthday cake! Too little too late!!

You only get one 50th birthday and i felt this hotel ruined it for me and my husband,they claim that the riu palaces go that extra special mile with extra special touches for special occasions,I DONT THINK SO !!!!!

Other than this as i previously said this hotel is lovely and all the rest of the staff there work tirelessly and will do anything for you,its just a shame about the reception as they are the face of the hotel and they badly let it down(there were lots of people complaining about them whilst we were there,so hopefully the management may have sorted them out by now). I would hate for this to happen to someone else who goes there for a special occasion.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

This is a very good looking hotel and it's very clean. They have people cleaning every day. The service is great too. There certainly isn't a shortage of staff at this location. The check in process is slow as others have mentioned, but when it comes to getting food, drinks, or anything else they're on top of it. I walked into the buffet room towards the dessert section just for dessert. Someone immediately came up to me to guide me to a table. When i sat back down with just sweets a server came by within 10 seconds and placed a dessert fork and spoon for me. I would've been fine using the regular utensil already laid out but I was impressed, they really keep an eye on you. One of my friends had her birthday on a Sunday. We asked if they could bring us a cake and they managed to bring out a whole cake with candles and stuff. Very sweet.
The food has been rated rather poorly in the past and i think they have been making attempts to improve that. The buffet food was not bad. There were certain dishes that were not good, like the dried sausages and slightly chewy waffles, but their poached eggs were great, lots of fruits and freshly blended fruit juices in the morning. If you want to eat more healthy go for the tropical fruits that cost us an arm and a leg to buy here.
We went to Krystal for one of the nights and everyone was very impressed with their food. I had the beef for entre and didn't like it. It's the way the beef tasted that no one was used to and i think it has to do with the type of grains the cows are fed down there. But everyone else's dishes and our appetizers were good. It's impressive for an all inclusive.
Compared to the Rui next to us, the Palace is a much classiers hotel. The pool bar is roudy, of course, but the main pool is quiet and there are quite a few families and babies there. So there's something for everyone. The Rui next door has the club and I don't believe the service is as good, we sat outside the club for atleast 20minute before someone came to serve us drinks. It would never take more than a couple of minutes at the Palace. The crowd is also much younger there.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Toa Baja, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

Me, my husband and my 5 months old baby, had the trip of our lives in Cancun, We found the Riu Hotel by friends recomendation and let me tell u, it´s just the best option for youngs and all ages family. Thanks to our concierge we made some graet tour and had a couple of nice dinner out of the hotel.
Great staff.
Be back 4 sure.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Syracuse
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

This is the second year in a row we have gone to this hotel for our vacation and I am ready to book it for a third time.

The hotel was awesome, food was pretty good, and the staff was outstanding! It was a family outing with just adults and we all had a great time.....again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas? Share your experiences!