“Excellent off-season package, superb service, fantastic all-inclusive hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas

You added Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulcan, Km 8.5, Manzana 50 | Lote 4, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Join us & get 500 Points
Ranked #18 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Excellent off-season package, superb service, fantastic all-inclusive hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

I've only stayed at one all-inclusive resort, but it made an impression I won't forget. The staff at the hotel are among the friendliest people I've ever met, the location was prime, the food was incredible, and the room was delightful. If you stay at Riu Palace Las Americas, Cancun, be sure to dine at their Japanese restaurant. Me not being a fan of seafood to begin with, I was amazed by their offering. We were served a sushi appetizer, and the deliciousness was beyond words. I could rave about this hotel enough to write my own travel guide, but trust me - any visit to Cancun, Mexico can be the vacation of a lifetime if you stay at Riu Palace Las Americas.

Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (852)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

I did enjoy this resort, very clean, nice room, beautiful view. The bed was a little hard for me but that seems to be the norm in Mexico. The drinks were good, plenty of liquor in them. The workers were all so friendly and worked hard. The ocean is great in front of the resort, water was beautiful and clean, there were plenty of chairs to lay in except by the bar pool, it was pretty crowded. Our only complaint is the fact that you have to make dinner reservations for all of the restaurants. And you can only do that in the morning , so the first night we were out of luck. After standing in line only to be told that every night of our 3 remaining nights all the restaurants were all booked. I thought the resort should be a little more accommodating. I did not think the food was that good at the dinner buffet. I really had a hard time finding something that tasted good. I eat anything, but I enjoy good food. Breakfast and lunch were OK. We have stayed at other Riu's and the food was always good and never had a problem with being able to get dinner reservations. The resort was not that crowded because of the swine flu that was going on in Mexico at the time. I would recommend this resort if your not picky about food. And hopefully you get dinner reservations. We got a super cheap price on this trip thanks to the swine flu so I can't really complain.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

The food was amazing, my favorite place to eat was the japanese restaurant, the sushi was fantastic. We had to book the reservations right away in the morning to get in. The buffet had a huge variety for breakfast , lunch an dinner. The service was great, there was always someone there to get you whatever you neede at anytime. The entertainment staff really made our days and nights a blast. They took us to the clubs at night and made sure we were well taken care of. Everything was clean. The beach was beautiful. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. Definately worth the money. I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

My husband and I have just returned from a trip to Riu Palace Las Americas and we are still feeling the results of incredibly bad food.

Good Points:
The hotel is clean - you will notice this as you will hear the maids from very early in the morning until early evening.
The staff are excellent. They cannot do enough for you, especially the pool staff.
The barman in the outside terraced bar is excellent. You must try his mojito's.
The rooms are spacious and comfortable enough (see comment below re bed).
The shows on the evening are good, some better than others. The Riu dancers in Grease are amazing.
The Entertainment Team are marvellous and get everyone joining in.

Bad Points:
This hotel is not quiet. Although they do their job wonderfully, the maids are very very noisy. At some points it felt like I was on a building site.
Someone mentioned fleas in their bed before on another review. We had the same problem. I was biten all over and when I swapped beds with my husband to prove this, he was biten too - tee hee.
The food is absolutely appalling. We were served raw chicken in the Brazilian Bar. Fillet Steak in the Fusion Restaurant that was a white meat (obviously not steak). The pizza in the Italian was a crispy pizza base smoothered in bottled cheese sauce and a few bits of cut up pepperoni (at least I think it was pepperoni). The chef (I use that word loosely) in the buffet restaurant was cooking raw chicken and then using the same fork to serve your food. Most of the food looked like it had been cooked the day before or had been left out far too long. Within 5 days of our holiday we both came down with bad stomachs which lasted throughout the holiday and we are still feeling the effects 1 week later. We eventually ended up eating out for the last two days at MacDonalds and found most of the Riu hotel guests in there!

All in all this experience has put me off All Inclusive for life and I will not be using a Riu hotel again.

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

We recently stayed at the Riu Palace Las Americas in Cancun, Mexico. We had an awesome time. The resort was beautiful, all aspects. The infinity swimming pools were just gorgeous. We had a junior suite, and it was more than adequate. The food was above average, compared to other all-inclusive resorts where we have stayed. The mixed drinks weren't the best, but that isn't something that would sway our decision to stay somewhere. The shows were terrific, especially the Michael Jackson show. We have never had shows of this caliber at any other all-inclusive resort. I've seen many shows, and the Michael Jackson show at this resort ranks in my top 5. The only thing I can say negative is that all of the indoor areas were quite warm (theater, restaurants, lounges, and disco). This resort is within walking distance of shopping and clubs. You have to visit Coco Bongo while you are in Cancun. There is a $50 cover charge and it is non-stop entertainment from 11:00-2:00. Again, one of the best shows I have ever seen. Can't wait to visit this or another Riu Resort again.

southampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

My husband & I have just returned from 10 days in this fabulous hotel, I can't say how great the staff are here, attentive does not do them justice. From Lobby staff to Pool staff to restaurants and room cleaners on every occasion we where met with a smile. The room we had was beautiful with large double bed and great sea view, Bathroom clean and well kept with plenty of towels and accesories if needed. Mini bar and optic which are well stocked on regular basis. The pool areas area very clean although we spent most of our time in the quiet pool, (getting a bit old for too much frolicking in the games pool) although it sounded as if people where enjoying themselves. Food in the buffett was superb so much so that we did not bother to eat in the other restaurents, we did try the steakhouse but to be honest preffered the buffett, as there was a great variety and we can honestly say never got bored with choice at all. The Terrace bar in the evening is great being served ny rofaldo was a pleasure, a truly lovely man, we met some great people sitting there in the evenings drinking our ever ending different cocktails that he served and of course the tequila !!!!! If there was one thing to mention it would be the beach, it would be nice to have some cobanas there as it gets so hot and there is no shade in certain areas until the sun goes round late afternoon, although the sea was warm and very calm during our stay and we did spend a lot of time floating !! I would definiately recommend this hotel to any of my friends and family and if we ever get back to Cancun, would certainly stay here.

Carmel, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

Me my husband, my sister and her husband stayed at the Riu Palace Las Americas October 17 - 24, 2009. We had ocean front rooms 211 & 212. The best rooms! This was our 7th trip to the Riu. (We booked with Travelocity) We have stayed at other Cancun hotels but we come back to the Riu because of everything they offer. The service, (they keep a lot of the same staff year to year, Rodolfo at the outside bar is the best!, for a tip he will bring out the best tequila), the hotel staff is all very helpful. The pool service never lets your glass go empty. Tipping is appreciated, and we did tip at the restaurants we made reservations at and tipped the daily maid and mini bar person but we did not carry cash around during the day. The hotel is in walking distance to the shops, local restaurants & bars. But take time to ride the local bus, really fun. We took the Express Ferry over to the Isle and this is a good day to shop the local stores and ride a golf cart around an island. Sit outside a local bar and drink. Also, my sister and her husband had to go to the Cancun hospital, as my sister stepped out the curb and broke her foot. The hospital was very clean, the staff spoke english and explained everything. Do make sure you take a credit card with a higher limit in case this happens to you. They even told them they would need a letter from the hospital that would give them permission to fly home. But one other important thing is that the hospital was going to put a full cast on her leg and the swelling from the flight could have caused a blood clot, so with my sister being a medical assistant would not let them put a full cast on her leg and she asked for a soft cast until they got home (only 1 day before we left). One more thing about the hotel, they were great to offer us a wheelchair. Back to the hotel, my husband and I work out in the fitness room every morning, the fitness room does need upgrading, but it is still ok. The only other thing is that no one put in the reviews that the hotel is not serving Corona any longer they are serving XX Beer which is ok but not Corona. The other restaurants were not serving Corona other than the Hard Rock did have Corona. We are guessing that a price war must be going on the hotels and restaurants are boycotting Corona. The beach is getting better each year as they continue to add more sand. You can walk completed around the hotel beach area now. The pool chairs go fast, so just get clean towels before you go to your room each night and go down to the pools and steak out which chairs we want for the day by 7 am. We are hard to please travelers as we both travel for business and this hotel never disappoints us!