“Fantastic experience and a true five star” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas

You added Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulcan, Km 8.5, Manzana 50 | Lote 4, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #21 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
dizcostu007
“Fantastic experience and a true five star”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

I have just returned from the Palace Las Americas and had to write about how exceptional a hotel it is. I have stopped in some great hotels previously, but this is by far the best. I will try to break this down into the different areas, to be as helpful as possible.

Be warned though, this is a couples hotel really. Also this hotel is far superior to the Riu Cancun, which my friend described as "Pontins".

Room: Big rooms, with a walk in sitting area. We were lucky enough to have a sea view as well. Closets are big and a lot of draw space to. Also the beds were very big and COMFORTABLE. Drinks are reguarly replenished. Also house keeping are fantastic at making the room imaculate. Air con was also very good, with a ceiling fan, if needed as well. One slight problem was plumbing can be a bit awkward, but it did not impact on our enjoyment at all.

Staff: They are the USP of the hotel. They are attentive and incredibly friendly. After a few days they smile at you, as they recoginse you and they will sometimes refill your drinks without even asking. Also when we checked in, they got us to wait in the bar and checked us in from there. Didn't meet a rude member of staff and I tried togive a dollar tip as much as possible as they work very hard.

Restaurants: There are around six restaurants, these are the ones we went to:

Japanese: I don't like Japanese much, but we thought we would give it a go. It was a fantastic meal. Had a bit of Sushi, but the starter (miso soup), main (Beef) and desert (battered ice cream) were amazing. My girlfriend had noodles, chicken and Green tea ice cream and loved hers too. Lovely setting too.

Krystal: This is the Fusion restaurant, it was the best. Fanatastic decor and amazing food. Visited this 3 times in total. Had starters of Pumpkin soup, tuna on a sesamee mash and shrimp with vegetable ravioli. All great. Only had the steak for Main, which was fantastic and melted in the mouth. Girlfriend had Lamb, which was very nice too. Finally had a chocolate pudding with Ice cream, which was fantastic.

Brazillian: This is an experience based meal and shouldn't be attempted by vegiterians. Firstly they bring out wedges, banana in bacon and brocolli, cover it in alcohol and then light it. They then bring out various meats on a sword and carve it for you, onto your plate. Starters and deserts are taken from the Buffet. Very enjoyable and worth doing once.

Italian: This an alternative lunch option to the buffet. We had steak and it was very nice. Can't comment on anything else here really.

Buffet: This was very good. They rotated food daily and has theme nights, so it never got boring. I loved the food and thought it was a very good quality.

Room service: This is pretty limited unfortunately, but is free, so can't complain.

Pools: A quiet pool and a main pool, were both clean and suited the purporse. Liked the swim up bar in the large pool, very good. Beach is very nice as well and they give you free snorkel gear if you want.

Overall: Fantastic hotel, beautiful rooms, great staff and brilliant food. Would go back in a hearbeat.

Tips: Went swimming with Sharks and Dolphins, both great. Buy the picture disk when you go, it is worth it. Also shop around for prices, the rep's can be expensive.

WASPS!!!: Put a section on this, as I am pettrified of them. There are virtually none in the hotel and they don't bother you, like the aggressive english strain. BE WARNED! On the tour to Chichen Itza, we stopped at a flea market and they were everywhere (as bins were everywhere and left open). At the ruins they stick to the bins and if you can cope with staying away from the bins at the gift shop, you don't seem them again.

Hope this is helpful, any questions let me know.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

We recently stayed at the Riu Palace, and honestly couldn't have had a better time! I had never been to Cancun so I did a lot of research before going, and was a bit leary by some of the negative reviews. However, we were thrilled with the place from the moment we pulled into the drive, and were met by a bell boy to take our bags inside. The gentleman that checked us in was very friendly, and upgraded us to an ocean view room. The staff was very helpful taking time to answer the questions that we had. The staff was VERY friendly, and eager to accommadate whatever requests we had. The food was AMAZING! Even the buffet food we had was above average for breakfast and lunch! One of the things that most people complained about was that you have to make reservations to eat at the ala carte resturants. So, our first night there were no reservations available, but she told us that many people do not show up. So, our first night we went to Krystal, which is thier gourmet fusion resturant, and asked if they had a table available. 15 minutes after scheduled service, they cancelled all of the people that didn't show, and gladly gave us one of the open tables. This meal was ABSOLUTELY the highlight of the trip. The food AND the service was top notch! Seriously thought we had died and gone to Heaven. We also ate at the Brazilian Steakhouse, and the Steakhouse, which were both good, but after such an amazing first dinner, didn't quiet surpass our experiance at Krystal. Apparently the Japanese is very good because we tried two nights to get an open table there, and were unable to get in! I read many reviews complaining about how rocky the beach was, and it did turn out to be true. Nothing unbearable, but after the hurricane several years ago, the beaches haven't been totally restored anywhere in Cancun. Overall though we couldn't have been more happy with our stay. In fact I only left the hotel for about two hours the whole time we were there! We are looking forward to going back to Cancun, and will DEFINATELY stay here again next time!

Alpine, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

If you want to be under the stars; let it be under four stars at this magnificent paradise palace. I couldn't imagine staying at any other place in Cancun. You will not be unsatisfied with the service and the beautiful Spanish architect of all the detail Riu Palace Las Americas has to offer. This all inclusive paradise made my stay so enjoyable that I tried to extend my travel.

I met so many wonderful people from all over the world. The enjoyable bars in the swimming area and outdoor cabanas give you the opportunity to mingle with many people that I wish I could see again.

The Love Boat is what comes to mind when you see folks checking in and out. I will always have the most memorable moment during this visit.

Make sure you make your reservations at the wonderful limited restaurants. My favorite was the Japanese. I didn't get into the others. But Krystals seemed to be popular as well.

The pool is so beautiful along the ocean. You have a view of Isla la mujers across the ocean.

If you meet Furtanado, Wilbert, and Diego, David, Omar, Conception-Miss Vera Cruz, Ricardo, and the entertainment staff. Please thank them for the wonderful service they provide.

It's a place to meet people from all over the world. I can't wait to come back. If I had to comment on the cons, it would be to change the mattresses and keep the bar open all night outside.

-West Texas

Durham, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

From the moment we arrived the service by the hotel staff was impecable: drinks whilst checking in, bags arrived in room 5 minutes later, fridge fully stocked, reception asked us if we would like dinner reservations in one of the al la carte reastuarants that evening.

We ate at the buffet restaurant that evening and for breakfast the following day, again staff are fantastic and the food selection was very good ( in all honesty we stayed at a 4 star all inclusive in Cancun which was significantly cheaper last year and the buffet restaurant was much better. But I must stress that the restaurant was still very good.

The hotel has two pools, a quiet one ( make sure you gat up and leave your towels there by 7am if you want a seat) and the lively pool. As with the quiet pool , people leave their towels on seats at 7am and don't turn up until midday or even later. But there are staff there who will readily create space and even move towels and umbrellas if you are struggling for a seat and the original occupants never complained!

We prefered the lively pool, drinks were free flowing and there was lots of entertainmant, vollyball, aerobics, bingo etc. as previous reports have said there are many overly loud Americans who can't handle a drink or two ( but I get the feeling you can't escape that in Cancun as it was the same last year)

Al La carte restaurants were variable, Tio Pepe ( tapas) and the Brazilian were average. But Kyrstal and the Japanese were super, the steakhouse was also good. The evening entertainment was great and really professional, you didn't have to leave the resort if you didn't want to. One thing I would say is that thre is only two seatings, 6.30 and 8.45 which is not the most convienent as i'd prefer to go as and when, but nothing major.

We did leave the hotel during our stay ( the clubs were a 10 minute walk, about 3/4 mile away) Coco Bongos was execellent, although more like a show than a traditional British Club. Senor Frogs was fun . But Pat O'Briens was truely lame and very expensive! When we came home we would get snacks in the resatuarant in the lobby, burgers, hotdogs, pizza and sandwhichs available.

One criticism mt partner had was the gym was not very good ( bare in mind he is a gym freak and goes every day!) it had no free weights, free weight machines and cardio machines were not that good, one cross trainer and one rower. which meant if you went at peak times (before midday) you couldn't get on what you wanted to.

The room was good, there was no smell what so ever, no mould nothing so I don't know waht the other reports are talking about unless it is fixed now. we had a sea view, the bed was perfect certainly not too hard ( just that it was a sring matress rather than memory foam or equivalent) Air con was plenty cool enough, fridge was refilled every day, room was cleaned every day. Room service wasn't great , although it was quick. Tip if you order sandwiches, they only sent two quarters of a sandwhich, so order two if you are hungry.

All in all, this hotel was certainly above average and beats 95% of hotels in European holiday resorts, the rooms were great, the enteratainment was very good, the pools and beach were excellent, the food was good and the service was amazing.You couldn't ask for more, overall we had a super holiday!!

Nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

The hotel is incredible, you could not ask for anything more from a hotel. Every member of staff was helpful and they never stopped smiling, cleaning and serving. The only slight drawback were some of the loud, brash and obnixious American guests who sometimes let themselves down.

mmcdonnell916
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

From the moment we walked in the door, my boyfriend, and the other couple we traveled with were "wow'd". We were promptly greeted with a "Welcome home!" Check in was smooth and easy, as we arrived to the hotel 3 hours prior to check in, and this was no problem. Javier explained the entire layout of the hotel to us, as well as when the bars and restaurants are open, and what you can expect to eat. We quickly ran up to our room (our luggage arrived shortly thereafter), unpacked, put our bathing suits on, and made a b line for the pool. I had emailed the hotel before we arrived to request a dinner reservation for the night we arrived, and adjoining rooms with the other couple we were traveling with. Both wishes were granted without any hassle. Once we made it to the poo we were waited on promptly by Wilhbert, the poolside server. He remembered us, and brought us continuious rounds throughout day no matter which side of the pool we were on.

THE ROOM: The room is a typical RIU suite. Bed, couch, tv with a few english channels (not plasma or lcd), double sinks in the bathroom, nice marble tub.... It was clean, beds were turned down nightly, fridge was always stocked, vodka, rum, brandy, and tequilla bottles always refilled from the night before, amazing view of the ocean and the lagoon... The room has everything you need.. I mean really people how much time do you plan on spending in your hotel room?

THE FOOD: The food I will admit was hit or miss. The buffet had variety, but as with most buffets, not always fresh or hot... The ala cart, Italian for lunch had a terrific seabass, but the pizza was terrible (we're from New York), tio pepes was average, krystal was pretty good, my salmon was a bit over cooked, but the best by far as the japanese restaurant sakura...sushi was great, filet was amazing, dessert was perfect! Room service menu is small, but service was prompt, and as good as you could expect from room service....

THE STAFF: HANDS DOWN THE BEST PART OF THIS HOTEL IS THE STAFF!! Everyone was so nice, helpful, friendly, accomodating in every which way! They really go out of there way to make you feel at home!

BEACH: One of the nicest beaches we saw in Cancun. Many of the hotels are goregous, and have absolutely no beach! Drink service is offered on the beach at no cost, and the beach next door at the RIU CANCUN is also beautiful, and part of the package. The only thing is if you go next door there isnt anyone butlering cocktails!!

SPA: Got a massage for only $50, and it was very nice. My boyfriend was a bit dissappointed by his massage, but it all depends on the woman you get.

LOCATION: Amazing location. Mall across the street, mexican outlet in walking distance, all of the nightlife and clubs are a short bus ride or walking distance (Senor Frogs, the City, Daddy-O's, CocoBongo...etc)

There is so much more for me to say about this hotel, and our trip, but I can't possibly put it all here. If you have any questions feel free to email me. I had a hard time choosing the right hotel in Cancun, and I read reviews on tripadvisor everyday to help confirm that I made the right decision. For an all inclusive this hotel is goregous, pictures don't do it justice. Yes, there are things that could make it better, and things you could change, but I think it's like that with everything in life. There is always room for improvment. If you're looking for a value priced trip to cancun, all inclusive with no worries, RIU PALACE LAS AMERICAS is the right place for you! If youre a food snob, a nitpicker or a multimillionare, the you should probably choose the Ritz-Carlton.

Cupertino, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

Our stay was ok, but I expected much more. Maybe the problem is that we stayed a few nights at Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach, a much better hotel and a true 5 star, in the beginning of our trip.

Rooms are good, except for the bed (way too firm). We got an oceanfront right in the middle of the hotel, so it was a plus. However, the hotel is very noise. We woke up several times during the night and early morning due to noise from other guests and room service.

Food at the hotel was very disappointing. Buffet was weak, although it had a good variety. We did not have a chance to try all the restaurants, but do not go to Los Arcos, where they serve the "Brazilian Rodizio". I am Brazilian, and it nowhere resembles the Brazilian cuisine. Some of the guests left a few minutes after the food came.

Servers are polite and helpful, but I many times felt they did not have much experience.

We paid $365/night for 2 adults + 2 kids. It was not worth it. Stay at Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach, a nearby hotel. Location is slightly better, and service is way, way, way better.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas? Share your experiences!