“Truly a palace..” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulcan, Km 8.5, Manzana 50 | Lote 4, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Early Winter Specials
Ranked #20 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
pa
“Truly a palace..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

Would definetly reccommend this hotel to friends & family. Traveled with family, had no problems. Room was ready on arrival, did not notice any smell in the hotel, but upon arriving home, there was a musty odor to luggage. Facilities clean, always staff cleaning. Meals were good, especially in the Japanese. Try the half day trip to Tulum, very interesting. Ocean is a little rocky, but who can complain about the beautiful blue water? Lots of vendors, but they will go away after a firm "no". Watch out for Market 28,you will be hassled the minute you step out of the cab. Good idea to have a cab wait as you won't be there long. We lasted 20 minutes. Would definetly consider going back to the Palace next time we visit Mexico.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

I just got home from my wedding at the Riu Palace Las Americas. I had read thousands of reviews and was sometimes nervous about staying here. Everything from the service-the beach- the smell- cockroaches- the wedding coordinator... Blah blah blah. I think that everyone expects perfection for every single aspect- and they are looking for something to complain about. There are 300 people all in the same place all with different expectations-someone will complain. When we arrived we were upgraded to the bridal suite free of charge (however the american groupin the bar were mad that THEY didn't get the suite instead- see my point) since we were the bride and groom. They hotel was VERY VERY full. They immediately took our stuff to our room. It was HUGE. Probably 650 sf or so. Two showers- walk in closet... Living room. It was awesome. The showers were poorly lit-but no big deal. The bathrooms are solid marble and granite so it can be slippery. The bar was always full, and the air always cold. My AC didn't work one night- it was set on 10C... Do the math folks- they freeze up when its 91 outside and you are trying to get your room to 50. I let them know at the desk and they came up and looked at it within ten minutes. Also in Mexico they don't wire stuff well so sometimes your AC or fridge can be killed with a light switch- thats just the way they do it down there. We were able to go downstairs and get reservations for the next 2 days. Not sure why the group above couldn't- I ate at a specialty restuarant every single night with a group as large as 9. The Tapas was excellent- ate their twice including our reception dinner--- Krystal was good ate there twice as well. Steakhouse was hot since its outside- but not bad food, just different than my taste.Buffet was good but you have to be there on time- not always a good selection if its not during a serving time. The hotel DID NOT smell one little itsy bitsy bit. Mexico is a country where their water is non-potable and 80% humidity- its not going to smell magnificent. If you are used to a drier climate then there is an odor-but I didn't feel like it stunk at all- and I am from the clean air of Colorado. The wedding team did an EXCELLENT job. Not one complaint. Very organized. Beautiful pictures from their photo team as well! Staff was VERY hard working. I was hard pressed to find ANYONE that I know that worked as hard and fast as them. Rodolfo at the outside bar was awesome. PLEASE TIP THEM!!!! I couldn't believe all the tight people that didn't tip. The beach is smaller- but its from ersoion- and its illegal in Mexico to rebuild your beaches. I spent a day at the spa and they were also great!! Did my hair, toes and makeup in under 2 hours.They have wait staff all around the lobby and the tanning areas- even the beach to get you drinks. We took Tervis mugs with us and they always brought them back to us. The staff was so nice- out of all of the staff I came in contact with there was only one that I thought to be less than friendly in the 9 days I was there. Quite frankly I think people like to complain. If you have a chip on your shoulder and are looking for someone to wait on you -and only you- then hire a nanny for yourself... If you want a beautiful scene and great people around that bust their tails---come here! :)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

I saw the Riu Palace on an earlier trip to Cabo and really wanted to stay there. I'm glad I did!

The grounds are absolutely gorgeous. If you've even been to the Venetian in Las Vegas, it's a similar design, and very well kept up. Pools and bars are beautiful- though the noisier pool with the swim-up bar was always a little too cloudy, we preferred to hang out in the cleaner quiet pool. I was in awe (just slightly exaggerated) every time I went to the lobby, it's really really nice.

The staff is great, especially the bar tenders. I always tipped well (they work very hard) and they they were always appreciative of it. I can't say enough about the great staff here. Fastest pourers and shakers in the south. The pool entertainment staff was always friendly, not too cheesy, not pushy at all, they looked like they were having a good time.

The rooms are large and nice. Not GREAT great, but nice. In particular, the living room entrance of our suite looked like an old lady lived there and smelled of stale cigars. The bathroom was beautiful, though, as was the main part of the suite and the massive walk-in closet. The bed was clean, though not very comfortable- they could use some help from their American counterparts in terms of luxury level of the beds, I think. Other than that, no real complaints- and we spent very little time in the room anyway. GORGEOUS view from the balcony, we were in room 436 I believe- the first one off the elevators.

The drinks were actually well-mixed (I was surprised, I expected watery drinks from an AI but they were great) and the food overall was just average. The Italian place was nice, the Japanese place had rave reviews from other guests but we never ate there. Can't say much for the Tapas place or the steak place, the latter of which was the lamest of the lot. The buffet was decent. We were disappointed there were not more (and better) Mexican selections, being we were in Mexico and all. Also would have liked to have poolside food service, but it's not like it ruined the stay.

Spa was great. Plan on paying US prices, but I expect that at a touristy place like this.

Overall I was very impressed, this hotel is a fantastic value for the money. If you're going to Cancun to lay in the sun, drink, eat a little, socialize and maybe dance, you can't beat it. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

Hey Guys
What can I say? Okay! You've got to give the whingers credit, it's true that the sun
was too hot, it's also true that the sea was too salty and the drinks were too cold but
you take these things out of the equasion and it's difficult to find anything to complain
about. The location is the best point, it's a lovely setting and you can get a lot of
pleasure just sitting at the pool or on the beach and congratulating yourself for having
chosen such a lovely hotel. We ate some of the best food that we have ever eaten
at the R.L.P.A. and not just in the speciality restaurants, the phrase most often used
to describe resort buffets is "you can always find something to eat", this isn't the case,
here you are spoilt for choice at every sitting! We ate at the Steakhouse, starter was a
seafood platter with crabs claws, large prawns, mussels and salmon aswell as two
dipping sauces. Next we went for the rib-eye steak which was huge and cooked to
perfection, served with parmesan cheese baked fries and fresh veg. and accompanied
by barbecue, garlic and a pepper sauce. Baked Alaska was our desert which was
flambe'd at our table, already full by this time we decided to sample a small amount
but it was so good we couldn't leave any, luckily at this resort you can walk safely for
miles and we had to after that meal . The Krystal which I had been looking forward to
so much was a bit of a let down for me, my fillet steak just wasn't fillet steak more
like a roasted joint of beef that had been sliced up and thrown on the charcoal, I didn't
choose well for the other courses but my other half chose well and enjoyed the whole
experience. The best meal that we both enjoyed was lunch at the Italian. The
Brazilian speciality restauraunt located at the far end of the lobby reverts to the Italian
at lunch-time, this isn't well publicised and I only know about it from research on this
site and talking to other guests at the hotel, no reservations are required and there is
no dresscode I. E. you are sat in a nice posh restauraunt in your swimming shorts and
tee-shirt having a 3or4 course meal with a chilled bottle of wine, each time I tried to
top up the wine glasses a passing waiter would get to the bottle before me. Not the
kind of thing that we would usually do at lunch-time but are very glad we did.
This is quite a long review for me so I will make the next few points (important as
they are) as short as possible.
Cleanliness--- Over the top, should you find a speck of dust(it wont happen) report it
to the management and it will be deal't with immediately!
Service------- Over the top, waiters on the beach and at the pool regularly wanting to
fill up your glasses, same goes for all bar,buffet and restauraunt staff!
Friendliness--- Way over the top and I don't just mean the staff, this is normal for staff
at a Riu property but lots of guests went out of their way to chat to other guests (a
special mention for the large Scottish contingent, if you're reading this guys I take
back all of those bad things that I've said about you over the years L.O.L.)
Special mention for Eric, the Thomsons Rep. as he said "please don't call me Paco or
Manuel" if like me you hate the welcome meetings where the reps. shove excursions
down your throat, make sure that you attend Erics' welcome meeting, he tells you
about things you need to know!
One more special mention! Coco Bongos. If you visit Cancun then you must go there.
We arranged it through Eric who accompanied us there and made sure that we were
looked after all night. We headed back to The R.P.L.A. on foot at 2.30 a.m. after a
fantastic night.(only ten minutes away.

E1

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

First of all, I'd like to start with the positive....our room was great and the balcony we were on had our own private hot tub. The buffet was wonderful! Now the negative....We were first disappointed when we went to make reservations for the restuarants in the evening only to find out there were absolutely no openings available for two nights. So we tried to reserve a table for the third night only to find out that you can only book two nights in advance! We had to be at the desk for 8 am in the morning to be able to book dinner. The next negative which in my book is an important one....the beds and the ac....Terrible! The bed is as hard as a rock!!!! Our room was so hot that we slept with barely any clothes on and no sheets or blankets and still sweated. The next negative was the friendliness of the staff. With the exception of a few...most were not friendly. We went to the Riu next door and were amazed at how much friendlier they were there! We heard this comment from many others. The next negative was the beach....Rocky and small. Go next door their beach is much better! The other negative was their were no umbrellas or covered areas on the beach. Go next door they had them! We have traveled to Mexico over 10 times and only stay at the best! This place was NOT the best!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
sandeepbidare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

I was there between Jul 21 to 27 and it clearly blew away all other "All Inclusive" we have been on. I was travelling with my wife and 3 year old son and all of us had a great time. The room (we opted for an ocean view - worth it in my opinion) was very clean with medium soft mattress and pillows, good sized bathroom with a separate sitting area. The staff replaced towels and sheets every day unless you opt otherwise. The food was very very good - both at the buffets and the restaurants. I was surprised by the quality and selection of food on the buffets. The plates, silverware and linens were all very clean and were cleared and replaced constantly. The restaurants required a reservation two days in advance and all server great 5 to 6 course dinners. Each offered a different experience and was kid friendly as well. The pools were very clean and the service by the pool and beach was phenomenal. We went with a 3 year old and the service guy by the pool would constantly bring our kid all kinds of juice to keep him hydrated. I was really surprised by how hard working and motivated the staff were. They constantly greeted people had a smile on their faces. Another great perk unlike other all inclusives , there were no pitches to buy timeshares because they don’t sell any. The staffs attitude, quality of food, pressure to view timeshare presentations and level of service left a lot to be desired in our experiences at other all inclusives. This one (pleasantly) blew all those areas clear out of the water. Overall it was a very pleasant experience and we are now big fans of Riu – the palace line atleast. We are planning another vacation to the same place or another Riu Palace elsewhere soon.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

My husband and I have visited Cancun three times now, and this is by far the best resort we have stayed at. Our daughter and her husband went here for their honeymoon and recommended it, so we went for our 25th wedding anniversary early and they came with us for their first anniversary. It is truly 5 stars plus! We had a room on the 4th floor overlooking the ocean front in the west wing. They had a room in the center overlooking one of the infinety pools and ocean. The king size bed had a thick plush matress pad and was very comfy. The room was spacious, clean and inviting. There was a liquor dispenser, mini fridge with bottled water, soda, and beer. The service was outstanding! We like to spend most of our time on the beach, although the brochures do not state it, there is drink service on the beach which was great! I would definetly recommend the reservation only restaraunts, especially Kristals (includes Champaigne along with a five course meal, they leave the bottle of wine at your table as well) and the Japanese restaraunt. Make reservations as soon as you get your room, they only do reservations 2 days in advance; we made sure we made reservations by 8:00 in the morning for the days available. Kristals is especially very formal, and you must wear appropriate dress. (dress pants, and collared shirts for men) There is a swim up bar, 2 infinety pools, a bar by each pool, entertainment in the pm (riu game show, mr. riu.... until about 11:00 pm. There is also a piano bar serving martinis, cocktails.... (in real glasses) not plastic. The grounds and hotel are absolutely beautiful and is being cleaned constantly. Rooms are cleaned at least once a day and often twice with turn down service, and fancy towel characters (one day we had two swans with real flowers and rose petals on our bed) The waiters are all very attentive always asking if you would like a drink or need anything. There is a activity staff that get together beach volley ball games, and have kids activities around the pool area. It is a mostly adult hotel age ranges from 25-85. There were some families with children. You meet people from all over the world from Argentina, England, Scotland, France, Mexico, Canada, and United States. The beach is wonderful with a long stretch of white sand beach, but the only disappointment were the rocks in the sea; you could swim just fine, but there were many visable large rocks. There are also very little waves, not the big ones we are used to along the straight stretch in Cancun; I don't know if this is because the Ise of Mujere is visible from the beach and slows down the waves, but you certainly couldn't boogie board in this water. It was however, the beautiful torquoise water of the carribean that we so love. there is plenty of beach chairs and tables to sit and just read overlooking the ocean and a beautiful lobby with comfortable seating as well. It is the perfect romantic get a way. It is not a "party" hotel and does cater to those looking for a romantic, luxury getaway without having to go bankrupt doing it. We would love to return here next year on holiday! I really cannot explain how beautiful it really is, except it does resemble a white palace with traditional dark hardwoods and stained glass on the ceiling with pillars. I wish I could go again next week! (We wanted to go back to Maroma Beach snorkling, but it is closed down; I hope this is only temporary, no one local seems to know why, they said it suddenly closed down about a month ago.) There are 3 Riu's in Cancun; do not confuse them the Palace is the top of the line! If you get a chance go to Tulum or any of the Mayan ruins and experience the culture of the ancient Mayans; we didn't this time, but have on the other trips; this time we just had 5 nights and 6 days so we just kicked back and just stayed on the resort; there is so much to enjoy!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas? Share your experiences!