“Very pleased. Few tips” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas

You added Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulcan, Km 8.5, Manzana 50 | Lote 4, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York
“Very pleased. Few tips”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

I am writing this review because before we went on our trip I would read reviews here. I went on this trip with my boyfriend (we are in our late 20's) and both of us really enjoyed our stay at RIU (at first we were thinking about GR Solaris but we are glad that we have picked RIU...those extra bucks were definitely worth it!). We stayed from April 17- April 23rd.

Things that we have enjoyed the most at the hotel: * two beautiful infinity pools, *pool bar, *pool valleyball games, *drink- blue coral...but if you want to feel a little bit more dizzy go with "tequilla bum" or long island iced tea, *Marco Polo buffet (great variety of food and we love to eat! :))but all the restaurants were nice too- my boyfriend's favorite was Tio Peppe, *outdoor breakfast with a view at the sea (you can also have an indoor breakfast if you prefer), *friendly service, *great atmosphere = everyone is happy and relaxed :), *location close to the nightlife (approximately 10 minute walk to Coco Bongo and other popular night clubs).

TIPS:
- Once you are in the hotel, the next morning make all reservations at once for the restaurants
- Be aware that by 9 am all the ebst spots at the swimming pool are taken (there are no people but you will see towels which means that the spot is already reserved). We did not bother with getting up earlier to reserve best spots...after all we preferred having a good sleep in the morning
- If you are fair skin use at least 35 spf sunblock!
- Take many $1 bills for the tips
- Hurricane season- September
- Checking out - the website says 11 am but the information desk at the hotel will tell you 12 pm. When I have asked the day before our leave about later checkout it was possible with a fee of I think $60 dollars per person. On the day of our leave I went to the desk and they said it is ok to check out at 1pm (we actually showed up at 1:30 pm). The bus that was taking us to the airport was coming at 2:30 pm so we gave our loggage to the loggage room at the hotel and we have received a special piece of paper with which we could go back to the bar and use all of the amnenities (we did not have our wrist bands any more)
- Be prepared that there is a lots of hummidity in the rooms, but you are going to be ouside for the whole day and you will wash your clothes after you return. I think the smell of the mold is the only thing that makes this beautiful hotel fours star and not five... But remember otherwise you would spend much more money... No roaches or bad bugs.
- If you like to see places like us- 1) Rent a scooter for one day from the place across the street from RIU and go to Market 28 to buy suveneirs (make sure you bargain the prices! What costs 25 dollars you can get for half price or even less). Once yuu done with the suveneirs go and try ceviche at one of the restaurant outside. From the market take a ride to the club zone and have a beer at one of the bars. 2) Rent a car for a day and go to Chichen Itza (we have rented the car from the place acroos he street from the bar called Slices, I think it was called ALAMO...remember to bargain the priice). Chichen Itza is about 3 hrs ride from which about 2 hrs you spend on the highway for which you have to spend $20 dolars. We thought that renting a car was much better than going on a group trip because the Mayan ruins are in the jungle which means it is very hot and we wanted to manage our time there ourselves without a guide. Also, on your way to Chichen Itza you will get to see how local people live there and propably appreciate the place where you live... The entrance to Chichen Itza is $10 per adult, 3) Buy at the hotel a trip to Xel-Ha and Tulum ( you can snorkel at all inclusive resort in Hel-xa and later on the day see the old Mayan city (ruins) at Tulum where are beautiful views at the sea. We left our guide so we could swim at the sea, the water was really warm). We loved Tulum!
- If you do not feel like walking from the hotel to the area where is the nightlife ( about 10 minutes walk at most) you can take the bus that runs every minute. It is $1 dollar per person unless you will pay in pesos, then it will be a little bit less since the bus driver does not give a change when you pay with dollars).
-Make sure that you know the curreny converter- how many pesos is one dollar otherwise you might get ripped off. (We normally would pay $28 dollars at the gus station if would not say anything... The bill came up to be $21... We still tipped the guy :))
- It might be a good idea to take something for the stomache (ex tums, peptobismol) and some advil just in case you will have upset stomache from eating too much or got a headache from the heat in Chichen Itza.
- The pool that gets the shadow after 2pm is the one close to the lobby and most of the time is empty anyway so it is nice for the lonleners or those who travel with kids (altgough I do not recommend this place for people with small children because there is no playground even though they have an entertainment team that does a pretty good job). The main pool wheve everyone hangs out is never in the shade (unless there are clouds). Also, the beach is right there so you will always find a nice and comfy spot for yourself.

I hope you will enjoy your vacation just as much as we did!

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (786)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

First the good. Basically, the outside of the hotel is spectacular, the lobby is all marble and kept very clean. The food overall is good; although the specialty restaurants are hard to book. We especially liked the Japanese restaurant. The buffet is good as well. The service is very good. Pool and beach are nice.

Now off to the bad.
The smell is horrible, I don't know why they haven't done anything about it yet, since so many people complain. I now have to wash ALL my clothes, everything stinks.
I saw a roach in the bathroom, NOT GOOD.
The TV in our room was small and reception very very poor, all black and white and grainy.
Instead of having one large bed, they just stick two small ones together - I was not impressed, as no one wants to sleep on the crease of two beds, so if you are a couple, you will basically end up sleeping on a small bed together, not very relaxing.
Everything is damp, the sheets specifically.
The noise insulation does not work or does not exist, we could hear EVERYTHING from other rooms, including people walking in heels, having sex loudly, could hear people in the hallways, so again - NOT RELAXING.
The night entertainment is non existent, aside from Pinata and cheesy shows.

Overall, our vacation was OK, I enjoyed the sun, drinks and food, but i wouldn't come to Riu again. Mold and roaches are non-acceptable.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Midlothian, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2009

The Las Americas was a beautiful place. The clerk said our room would be ready by 3, but it wasn't available until 530. The staff was friendly until it came time to check out, then it was get us out the door as quickly as possible. The specialty dining was ok. My group ate at all but the Japanese Steakhouse, which I wanted to try but didn't have time. The others weren't anything special, but the Brazilian was the best by far. The buffet was good, but the service there is mediocre. My room had bed bugs, so if you stay in room 342, request a new room! I had to do all my laundry at 2 am to make sure I wouldn't infect my house as well as take my suitcase to get it professionally cleaned. I would recommend Las Americas, but I would make sure whoever I was telling it about was aware of everything.

Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2009

My husband and I just returned from the Palace last night. The entire time we were there, we just couldn't understand why anyone would have anything negative to say!! The hotel and grounds are beautiful, the service is out of this world; LOTS of people constantly trying to make sure you have a wonderful vacation, the food was spectacular (to us...I mean, no, it wasn't filet mignon, but there were plenty of choices and 24 hour guacamoli!!)

We found a couple of little annoyances, but honestly, so easy to forget with all the positives.

Tips:

When you arrive in the airport, several people will approach you. We thought they were Apple Vacation people that were going to help us with transportation to the hotel; not so. They were trying to sell us stuff. Continue past them outside and find your travel agency representative; they all hold signs.

Be careful of the rocks in front of the hotel... they are sharp! My husband and I both came home with cuts on our feet and me, being a bit overzealous with the liquid courage; I received cuts on my legs from going over the edge of the rocks to snorkel. (my fault) Beach shoes would have been nice just for that purpose (exploring the rocks).

I found it annoying to have my R.I.U. bracelet on my dominant hand. Next time I'll wear it on my left wrist so I don't notice it as much.

There is NO dress code for women at any of the restaurants. Men must wear long pants (jeans are fine) and a shirt with sleeves at a few of the restaurants.

If you like to build sand sculptures: the guy at the towel hut has tools.

I was amazed with how trusting the beach vendors are. On two occasions, we wanted something but didn't have the money with us. They told us to keep it and pay later. But, beware: we forgot what one guy looked like and almost paid the wrong guy. They won't say..."No, you don't owe me money."

Take Sunscreen of all SPF's from home. We took 30 and 15, but ended up buying spf 8 at drugstore across the street for $20! Also, lip sunscreen...my lips got burnt.

We found it helpful to run the AC during the day while we were out; eliminated moisture on floor. We left the door open at night. (AC automatically turns off when door is open)

Since we were eating and drinking so much, we decided to always take the stairs so we didn't notice the smell in the elevators! (we were on the third floor) I thought it was funny that someone who stayed on the second floor complained about the elevators!!

It was an amazing vacation for us!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

I read quite a few reviews before booking this hotel and I find myself wavering on my opinion now that I have returned. We stayed Apr 19-23 and the weather was perfect, thank goodness. This was my first trip to Cancun and I was amazed at the disaster at the airport, Immigration and Customs are a joke for those of you who have not been, just a friendly heads up.

When you drive by all the other hotels on the strip, you have to wonder if the RIU stacks up, it does, easily. When you pull up the hotel is nice, but when you go through the front door, wow , quite a sight. The lobby is very open, you can see the pool and the ocean. Check-in I must say was first class. We were taken to the bar and were brought drinks. I never went to the desk, all the arrangements were handled right there while having our welcome cocktails, very impressive. It kind of went a little downhill from there. The elevators do stink as well as the rooms. I took a can of air freshener and that helped a lot. The rooms are very nice, but the air conditioner shuts off if you open the balcony door and the room has a hard time recovering. The air just does not work that well. There is a sticker on the bathroom mirror that tells you the the water is not potable. There is no way this hotel should be able to display that 4-Diamond plaque in the lobby with their water being undrinkable, not even to brush your teeth. My next beef is with the bed situation, my dog sleeps on a better mattress. It is not a true king bed, just 2 full size bed push together, not exactly romantic.
On to the food, buffet not to my liking. Had to eat the dinner buffet the first night, not a chance of getting a reservation. We ate outside at El Romero the second night, steak was very good. The third night was at Tappas, go somewhere else. Our last night was at Krystal, first class from the time you walk through the doors. I am amazed at how small these restaurants are. The hotel was not even close to being full during our stay and I can only imagine how hard getting a reservation would be during a peak period.
The good, location, pools and wait staff. The RPLA is in a great location. The pools are beautiful. The main pool is shaded most of the time, but the other pool is open to the sun most all day. Personally I thought the wait staff was very good.
Almost forgot, if you want to get drunk, drink up, it will take a while. The bottles in your room are watered down and the drinks served are just weak.
I did have a good time, but I am not sure I would even go back to Cancun.

Charleston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

Wec checked into the RIU Palace in Cancun on April 13, 2009 and after arriving in our room, #601, we immeidately noticed a very strong mildew odor. After a few days our daughter began having breathing issues so we decided to leave early. The morning we were to leave I noticed black mold spores all over the couch in the room. The very same couch she would sit on and watch TV at night. Once we arrived home in the states we took her to the pediatrician and showed him the photos of the mold. Needless to say he was shocked. After some chest x-rays, our two year old daughter was diagnosed with pneumonia. Not a good experience at all. The food was nothing spectacular or anything that I couldn't have had a local restaurant in my own neighborhood. We did experience issues with the phone in the room not working and the toilet would not flush properly. We addressed both of these issues with the front desk and three days later when we left, they still had not been corrected. I cannot in any manner recommend that anyone stay at this place. Spend your money somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
south shore/Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

My self and 3 friends went for a relaxing girls getaway 5 days 4 nights.Ages 27-37 I'll start at the beginning.Transfers went fine to the hotel.Nice van with good drivers.Upon arrival we were all impressed with the lobby. Check-in was easy and fast.Drinks were offered while we were at the desk.I have a suggestion if you want to eat at the restaurants make all of your reservations when you check in.The menu's are all there to look over.We ate at 3 of them I thought the steakhouse was pretty good ,Tapas not good.The Japanese was the best of the restaurants.Sushi was good and I was a little Leary of sushi in Mexico. I had the Salmon as a main dish,very good.

As far as the rooms they are very spacious (Rm. 238) great view.The musty smell is tolerable but if you have any allergies it would probably be an issue.Your hopefully not going to be in your room much anyway.All of my clothes even the ones not worn did stink when I got home.The elevators are pretty bad.

The service overall is good but the beach service is poor.We got our own most of the time and we did tip when they would come but didn't seem to help. Definitely bring your own large plastic cup because the size of their drink cups are annoyingly small.

We're more beach than pool people it was small but you can go over to the RIU Cancun's beach which is roomier.The water is rough in front of the Cancun with some huge coral rock formations. We saw some nasty scrapes on people so go up around the corner even past the Palace and their is really nice calmer water.I was under the impression that both of the other RIU's were within walking distance but the other one is 20 min. away.

Entertainment at the palace is pretty cheesy but entertaining.There is a small Disco next door at the Cancun.I think it's just a CD because they play the same music every night but it's not bad.The clubs are a short walk and we felt completely safe walking downtown from the hotel we saw no one other than tourists and cab drivers.

One last thing 2 out of 4 of us did get montazumas revenge thank god not till the day we were leaving but it wasn't fun once we got home,4 days of it. It may have been the water(we did brush our teeth with it I know ...stupid! also the shower don't forget to keep your mouth closed) or could have been in the food. Fresh veg. and fruits most likely.We had a lot of their fresh delicious salsa.

As far as shopping the vendors are a better deal than the stores bargain down they expect it but watch out for all the fake silver. I'm in the jewelry biz and almost all of the stuff on the beach is fake.
If your thinking of having a massage their is a really nice spa place right across the street called bamboo massage (all run by women) that is 1/2 the price of the spa at the RIU.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas? Share your experiences!