I am writing this review because before we went on our trip I would read reviews here. I went on this trip with my boyfriend (we are in our late 20's) and both of us really enjoyed our stay at RIU (at first we were thinking about GR Solaris but we are glad that we have picked RIU...those extra bucks were definitely worth it!). We stayed from April 17- April 23rd.
Things that we have enjoyed the most at the hotel: * two beautiful infinity pools, *pool bar, *pool valleyball games, *drink- blue coral...but if you want to feel a little bit more dizzy go with "tequilla bum" or long island iced tea, *Marco Polo buffet (great variety of food and we love to eat! :))but all the restaurants were nice too- my boyfriend's favorite was Tio Peppe, *outdoor breakfast with a view at the sea (you can also have an indoor breakfast if you prefer), *friendly service, *great atmosphere = everyone is happy and relaxed :), *location close to the nightlife (approximately 10 minute walk to Coco Bongo and other popular night clubs).
- Once you are in the hotel, the next morning make all reservations at once for the restaurants
- Be aware that by 9 am all the ebst spots at the swimming pool are taken (there are no people but you will see towels which means that the spot is already reserved). We did not bother with getting up earlier to reserve best spots...after all we preferred having a good sleep in the morning
- If you are fair skin use at least 35 spf sunblock!
- Take many $1 bills for the tips
- Hurricane season- September
- Checking out - the website says 11 am but the information desk at the hotel will tell you 12 pm. When I have asked the day before our leave about later checkout it was possible with a fee of I think $60 dollars per person. On the day of our leave I went to the desk and they said it is ok to check out at 1pm (we actually showed up at 1:30 pm). The bus that was taking us to the airport was coming at 2:30 pm so we gave our loggage to the loggage room at the hotel and we have received a special piece of paper with which we could go back to the bar and use all of the amnenities (we did not have our wrist bands any more)
- Be prepared that there is a lots of hummidity in the rooms, but you are going to be ouside for the whole day and you will wash your clothes after you return. I think the smell of the mold is the only thing that makes this beautiful hotel fours star and not five... But remember otherwise you would spend much more money... No roaches or bad bugs.
- If you like to see places like us- 1) Rent a scooter for one day from the place across the street from RIU and go to Market 28 to buy suveneirs (make sure you bargain the prices! What costs 25 dollars you can get for half price or even less). Once yuu done with the suveneirs go and try ceviche at one of the restaurant outside. From the market take a ride to the club zone and have a beer at one of the bars. 2) Rent a car for a day and go to Chichen Itza (we have rented the car from the place acroos he street from the bar called Slices, I think it was called ALAMO...remember to bargain the priice). Chichen Itza is about 3 hrs ride from which about 2 hrs you spend on the highway for which you have to spend $20 dolars. We thought that renting a car was much better than going on a group trip because the Mayan ruins are in the jungle which means it is very hot and we wanted to manage our time there ourselves without a guide. Also, on your way to Chichen Itza you will get to see how local people live there and propably appreciate the place where you live... The entrance to Chichen Itza is $10 per adult, 3) Buy at the hotel a trip to Xel-Ha and Tulum ( you can snorkel at all inclusive resort in Hel-xa and later on the day see the old Mayan city (ruins) at Tulum where are beautiful views at the sea. We left our guide so we could swim at the sea, the water was really warm). We loved Tulum!
- If you do not feel like walking from the hotel to the area where is the nightlife ( about 10 minutes walk at most) you can take the bus that runs every minute. It is $1 dollar per person unless you will pay in pesos, then it will be a little bit less since the bus driver does not give a change when you pay with dollars).
-Make sure that you know the curreny converter- how many pesos is one dollar otherwise you might get ripped off. (We normally would pay $28 dollars at the gus station if would not say anything... The bill came up to be $21... We still tipped the guy :))
- It might be a good idea to take something for the stomache (ex tums, peptobismol) and some advil just in case you will have upset stomache from eating too much or got a headache from the heat in Chichen Itza.
- The pool that gets the shadow after 2pm is the one close to the lobby and most of the time is empty anyway so it is nice for the lonleners or those who travel with kids (altgough I do not recommend this place for people with small children because there is no playground even though they have an entertainment team that does a pretty good job). The main pool wheve everyone hangs out is never in the shade (unless there are clouds). Also, the beach is right there so you will always find a nice and comfy spot for yourself.
I hope you will enjoy your vacation just as much as we did!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in "Corazone", Cancun???S resort area * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the hotel???S private beach * 8-storey building * 100 m/325 ft. To Hotel Riu Cancun * 120 m/390 ft. From a shopping centre * 10 km/6.2 Miles from downtown Cancun * 20 km/12.5 Miles from the airport * Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Amex, Visa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Amex, Priceline, Despegar.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Cancun
- Cancun Riu Palace
- Riu Las Americas Cancun
- Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas Cancun
- Riu Palace Las Americas Hotel
- Las Americas Cancun