“6th Trip to Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas

You added Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulcan, Km 8.5, Manzana 50 | Lote 4, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Certificate of Excellence 2014
new jersey
“6th Trip to Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Read some of the reviews the past month and was worried things might have changed/realized people who wrote them have not traveled much! I cannot complain as they did about the Japanese Restaurant, food was great as ever. Will never find a cleaner resort. Walked to see the new Riu Peninsula, the Palace has it all over it unless you want ultra-modern. Took our trip to Isle Mujeres and had a great day, just don't go to the Chris and Mele jewelry store! Tried to sell us silver as platinum jewelry. Riu Palace and the area is very safe. Had first timers tell us they forgot to lock their in room safe and they were surprised nothing was touched. This hotel is like going home, everyone remembers you and we have made great friends with the staff. No one compares to Armando. His smile is so bright everyday and he can't do enough for you. Usually go in January but went for Valentines Day. Weather still great but more tourists.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (784)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed at the hotel from 24th January for 2 weeks and had the most fantastic stay. As the hotel was not full to capacity we were given an automatic upgrade to a seaview room. The hotel is maintained to an extremely high standard and this can be seen with maids constantly cleaning communal areas and general maintenance being carried out to keep the hotel up to its 5* standard. There is a musty smell, however this is only to be expected when you are in a tropical country.

Room: the room was extremely spacious with an large bathroom with bath/shower and toilet, the main area had 2 large beds and a sofa along with a large wardrobe which housed a safe, ironing board and iron. The room also had coffee making facilities and mini bar. The room was kept spotless by the maid, clean sheets and towels every day.

Pool: during our stay we didn't experience any issues with the lack of sun in the pool area, however there were areas which tended to be covered with the shade at certain points during the day but to be perfectly honest I do not see this as a negative just move your bed.

One of the negatives we did experience in this area were large groups of American/Canadian guests reserving large amounts of sunbeds(15 at a time in some cases) before 7am on a morning. This did not affect us personally however found it quite rude that the beds were left for the majority of the day. I do however, understand that the hotel does have a policy where you are unable to reserve beds and maybe this needs to be enforced.

There are 2 bars within this area but there is also waiter service.

Restaurants: We mainly ate in the buffet restaurant which had a good variety of food which was prepared to a high standard. Even the fussiest of eaters would not starve here as there is so much choice.

We also tried the steak restaurant and Mexican restaurant during our stay and again the food was great. The only comment I would make is that the steak restaurant only offered one cut of steak which was a little bit disappointing and maybe a little bit of variety.

Service/Staff: You cannot fault the service in this hotel the staff work extremely hard to make sure that you are having a good time. The staff who really made our holiday were Nick and Wilbert in the restaurant, Juan at the poolside bar, Abu in the piano bar is hilarious and the girls working in the piano bar made sure your glass was never empty. A small tip every now and again goes a long way and is not expected but greatly appreciated.

Overall we had a fantastic holiday which was issue free.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Having read some of the reviews on here I felt I had to put my two cents in. Stayed at the hotel for 1 week in June 2011 and then returned for a fortnight in July 2012. Quite possibly the best holiday I could have dreamed of! The hotel does not have a weird smell (despite some other reviews), it is simply close to the water and therefore you get the smell of the sea at some times in the hotel.
Firstly - cleanliness - the hotel is immaculate. At all hours of the day you can find someone cleaning in the main foyer.
Secondly - service - absolutely fantastic!!! Waiters were always on hand to top up drinks and ensure we were ok.
The room - was amazing! Bed was not uncomfortable at all. Rooms were cleaned to a high standard and the maids always made an extra effort to turn ordinary towels into some form of animal (cheesy but I couldn't wait to see what they did every afternoon!! Haha)

The food was brilliant. I don't understand people who have reviewed saying there wasn't much choice or edible food. I am unclear what more some people could ask for! There is always fresh sea food, all types of meat and vegetarian options as well. A personal favourite of ours was lunch!
The restaurants in the hotel are great as well, only place which we didn't return to was the Mexican restaurant as we felt the main buffet was better.
The fusion restaurant was absolutely amazing, so good we went twice in one week!
Italian restaurant for lunch is definitely a good shout. Particularly when you ask for a glass of wine and the waiter returns with a full bottle! As my partner doesn't drink he can't really comment on that, but trust me, it was brilliant!

The pools are always busy, but not so busy that you can't feel relaxed. We favoured the infinity pool as it was less noisy and we're not really ones for "organised fun" in the pool. But each to there own, some people seemed to spend their whole time in the other pool!
I would recommend getting down early to ensure you reserve a lounger (or even better - one of the big 'beds' next to the infinity pool'). However, we did find that it didn't matter what time we went downs, there was always space for us!

Entertainment at night was pretty typical of a big hotel. Cheesy but fun! Particularly the Michael Jackson impersonator - hilarious!

Our Holidays in the Riu Las Americas were absolutely amazing and I have to admit that even now all we talk about when discussing holidays is when we can go back.

Cannot recommend this hotel enough! Absolutely fabulous!!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Conisbrough, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Just returned from spending 2 fantastic weeks here, hotel is very clean throughout,
ROOMS: are excellent they have separate sitting area to the beds. Amazing views over the pool and ocean ( room 724) mini bar is re stocked daily,
FOOD: massive variety of different dishes from salad, steak, seafood, pasta, Mexican, oriental, you would have to be a really fussy eater to struggle here.
STAFF: wow, what can I say these people work so hard to make your stay here special, nothing is too much trouble. Our favourite was Abu in the lobby bar such a character! Made us laugh so much.
POOLS: two infinity pools one with swim up bar, two jacuzzis. All spotlessly clean.
SUNBATHING: unfortunately because of the size of the building you do loose the sun quite early, but not really a problem if you are prepared to move around.
BEDS: this was a bit disappointing to me beds are very hard and pillows were lumpy, so quality of sleep could have been better.

Overall this is a very good hotel, I think it's due for a bit of modernising though. We would go back and would recommend.

Room Tip: When booking in I found if you nicely ask if u have a sea view room, they will upgrade to one if its...
Waltham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Just returned from 5 days at the Riu Palace Las Americas. Although, I usually ignore the worst and the best of reviews of hotels, I was a little apprehensive about going on vacation with the bad reviews I had read just before leaving.

I should have gone with my plan of ignoring the worst reviews because we were a group of 6 and none of us experienced the complaints listed in these bad reviews.

The hotel is absolutely beautiful inside and out. All of rooms were immaculate and well maintained. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. The room refrigerator stocked with bottled water, soda and beer is a welcome bonus. We didn't use the bottled liquor in the room but it was funny to see - someone no doubt enjoys these.

The staff was very accommodating with every request. The wait staff and bar servers couldn't have done a better job. They were always nearby and constantly checked on everyone.

The restaurants were very lovely and the food was delicious. The buffet was great as well with omelets made to order to a variety of every food. The fresh fruit was so delicious. We had no problem getting reservations for the specialty restaurants and enjoyed them very much.

The evening entertainment was very good. They are wonderful performers and the show theme varied every night.

There were a couple comments about security and theft. I actually left my IPAD in the room on the day we departed. I notified the hotel later when I realized this and they had my IPAD and have returned it to me. There were comments that the safe is too small for an IPAD - this is not true. It fits in the safe. None of us experienced any issue with theft with any of the items of the items in our room.

The pools at the resort are absolutely beautiful. They have a quiet pool and a party pool. The beach is beautiful with perfect sand and turquoise waters. There was always a perfect spot for everyone. We tried each area and always found a comfortable spot.

Go,enjoy yourselves, and ignore the bad reviews

Room Tip: I don't think you could go wrong with any oceanview room. There were rooms with the afternoon...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

The photos on the website don't do this place any justice. We just returned from a 5 day trip here. Every aspect of this resort from the food to the rooms to the staff were amazing. Highly recommended. One note: don't bother making reservations for the dinner restaurants, the main buffet room has the best food!

Indiana, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights. I will try to summarize our entire trip and include some info that I think would have been nice to know even though it's not entirely just about the resort. Overall we had a great stay and I just have to laugh at how nit picky some of the reviews were I read before coming here.

Arriving
As soon as we got off the plane, we had to go through customs. We waited in line for over an hour to get through. Nothing like starting off your vacation by waiting in a long, slow line! Then once you get through customs and the airport, there seems to be a special section right before you go outside that has nothing but people selling timeshares. Just ignore them and keep on walking through. Waiting in the long line and being nagged by these people was my least favorite part of the trip.

Getting to the resort
I believe you can either use a private company to transport you, or hire a taxi. I didn't really notice any resorts having their own transportation like they do in other countries, but maybe they do and I didn't notice. At any rate, this resort doesn't provide transportation so you need to figure something out. Based on other reviews, we used USA Transfers. It was $55USD round trip, and I highly recommend them. They even showed up a half hour early to pick us up for our return trip, and we happened to be ready, so that was awesome.

The resort
This was our first trip to Mexico, and 2nd trip to an all inclusive resort. The resort is beautiful. It's a little dated, but everything is beautiful and has a unique charm. As long as it's clean and tidy, I could care less what it actually looks like. If you do care what it looks like and want modern, this resort isn't for you. The beds were fine for us. The beach was small, but it was big enough that we could walk into the water and not run into people, not even close. But if you need to have a beach the size of Texas, you might want to stay somewhere else. We got to the pool around 9-10am, and we didn't have trouble getting a place to sit, although we weren't picky and just wanted to be in the sun. Didn't care how close to the pool it was.

The food overall was amazing. They had a pretty big variety. I must mention something though. At the buffet I noticed that they always gave us a little dish of water to "wash our hands" with. I assumed it was for when we were done eating ( I don't know why, but we never eat at buffets not even at home). So we didn't use it. Well on the last day of our trip, I unfortunately came down with what I believe was the norovirus, and I never get sick, ever, and I always wash my hands before eating. I then realized that I did not wash my hands after touching all the spoons at the buffet, and then I realized that must have been what the dish of water was for. I felt pretty dumb, but I had no idea. So make sure you use that stuff, whatever it is, after touching all the spoons at the buffet. The only restaurant we made reservations to was Krystal, which was the last night of our trip and I was too sick to eat, but my husband said it was all delicious.

I guess lastly I have to commend the service. There are workers everywhere, and the service is amazing. As soon as you sit down there is someone there to wait on you. They do expect tips, but we'd just leave a dollar or two, maybe more if we were there longer. The other all inclusive we were at cost a little more than this one, but they refused tips. I must stay that from now on, I'd rather go to a cheaper resort and leave tips than the other way around, because you notice a huge difference in quality of service!! Plus imagine you were them, wouldn't you prefer getting tipped for your service? I know I would! Eduardo and David are 2 bartender names that stick out when I think of the amazing service we received.

As for excursions, we decided to see Chichen Itza (one of the 7 wonders of the world) which we booked at the resort because I felt safer doing so. We paid a lot more than we would have by going across the street, but we had an amazing trip and I highly recommend doing the trip we booked. It was through Passion tours (I think Olympis was the name of the company we booked it through at the resort) and we did the luxury package which included snacks, food and beers!

Also forgot to mention that we stopped by the Riu Cancun next door during lunch time the one day, and it was definitely more spring break feeling. They had an outdoor bbq going on and had chicken, ribs, and some other stuff, so I guess we stopped by at the right time. I wish the palace las americas had something like that. I am glad we stayed here though as we were looking for more relaxation and less partying this time, but was nice to know if we were in the mood we could have went over and joined the crowd at any time!

All in all it was a great trip and I would not hesitate to stay here again or another RIU for that matter.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas? Share your experiences!