“Fabulous hotel, ignore the bad reviews!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulcan, Km 8.5, Manzana 50 | Lote 4, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #19 of 172 hotels in Cancun
“Fabulous hotel, ignore the bad reviews!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

I really cannot believe some of the bad reviews on here - this hotel is out of this world, fantastic.

We are a British couple and stayed in the Hotel for 2 weeks in May.

The hotel looks great inside and out and I do not know how anyone would be let down! Yes, there is a musty smell in the lobby but it's really not as bad as what some people on here have said. In the rooms we couldn't smell it at all.

On arrival we were upgraded to an ocean view, I believe this happens quite frequently and we were delighted with the room.

Service - staff are excellent and make sure you are not without a drink - whether at the bar, beach, pool, anywhere! Lots of choice of cocktails and any drink you can think of. Staff are friendly in all areas of the hotel.

Food - brilliant! We visited all of the restaurants during our stay and each time enjoyed a fantastic meal. Our favourite was the Japanese but it just depends on what you like. Booking the restaurants was easy enough, although some were busier than others. We ate at the buffet for breakfast and lunch most days and evenings occasionally. The choice of food was huge, there is something for everyone.

Room - was great, mini bar restocked daily and cleaning service brilliant. The entire hotel is spotlessly clean. Lots of lovely extra touches by the cleaner.
We ordered room service a couple times - the menu for it is quite limited but the food we
had was ok.

Highly recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed May 2013

4,108 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (633)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed at the RIU Las Americas for a week and had a FANTASTIC time!!! The resort itself is beautiful with its grandiose classic architecture, greek columns, statues and chandeliers, etc. It is absolutely amazing. The rooms themselves were just ok, pretty basic. But I wasn't really bothered as we don't spend much time in the room when on vacation. And as other have said, there is a smell.. but it is WOOD, come on people!! And yes I can still smell it in my clothes but it only makes me wish we were back in Cancun lol. Here's my list of pros and cons:

Pros:
- A la carte restaurants were very good with the exception of the Italian, don't even bother with that one. The Japanese and the steakhouse were our favorites. Yes you have to make reservations in the lobby but there was never a line and we were able to get reservations in all the restaurants.
- Drinks. Definitely one of the better drink selections I've seen at comparable star level all inclusives. Lots of liquor brands. Not necessarily top shelf but decent selections. Plus they have great mixed drinks! We loved the Miami Vices!
- Beach. was absolutely breathtaking. Some of the best water I've seen. Crystal clear turquoise blue, barely any waves at all, no seaweed.. like bathwater. It was amazing. However the beach chair situation was not great, more on this later.
- Pools were both very nice. We loved the pool with the music, great vibe, always good music playing, good water temperature, swim up bar and waiter service.
- The Entertainment Team was great I must say. Probably best I've seen. They have activities every day around 4 and the guys are very entertaining (like professional radio personality level) and have great games. Even if you don't participate its a blast just to watch. We caught the tail end of a few of the nightly entertainment shows and they were also very entertaining and professionally done.
- View from the balcony in the room is stunning. Also mini bar refreshed daily.
- Location is perfect for going clubbing. All the clubs Coco Bongo, Mandala etc are literally a 5 min walk around the corner.

Cons:
- The notorious TOWEL GAME. Has to be the worst I've seen anywhere I've been. I mean literally EVERY SINGLE CHAIR at the pool and places with some shade will have a towel on it. And no one will be there for HOURS. Its disgraceful that they allow people to do this. We made out ok though - one day we just tipped one of the maintenance guys walking around a few bucks and they brought some chairs over for us. A couple other times we just had to say screw it and take the other people's towels off. We asked others if anyone had been there and they said they hadn't seen anyone there all day.This is so unfair to everyone. Your towel is enjoying the vacation more than us!!
- No shade on the beach. There are no trees or palapas on the beach. I guess if you're trying to get a tan you won't care but it gets pretty steamy out there after a while. Also the beach chairs are old and many broken ones. Plus they're just all scattered about, makes it look kind of cramped and sloppy.
- Beds in the room were absolutely rock hard. I normally do not mind a firm bed but I just did not find it comfortable at all and had a little bit of trouble sleeping (along with neck pain a couple days). They really need to do something about this.

But overall, we loved our stay here. We went next door to the RIU Cancun to go to their club a couple times and had a great time. We also went down to the RIU Palace Penninsula to check it out and it definitely has a more modern decor (although I actually like the Las Americas classic Greek/mediterranean style a little more). The beach there wasn't as big however they did have umbrellas. The water was calm as well but had more rocks in it. They also had better/bigger drink cups. All in all it was great time though. I definitely could have stayed a little longer. Although next time we might try the Palace Penninsula since they seem to be more modern and hopefully have better beds.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Elkton, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was our 2nd trip to Las Americas. It was fabulous, even though the food and service were great the last time, it was even better this time. For those who love to proclaim the alcohol watered down let me just say that this is pretty much impossible when you watch the baratenders break the seal on new bottles. Jair was the best server in the buffet dining area hands down, that kid deserves a promotion. Julian the pool bartender is just outstanding. The Japanese, Mexican, and Italian restaurants were great. The buffet was also superb with different themes every night. One night there was lobster, dungenous crab, and prime rib. My only complaint would be the beds could be a little more high quality along with the pillows. It was fun there was always something going on at the pool and at night as far as entertainment.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I'm sure nobody will ever regret of staying here. HUGE Thank you to all the staff of this hotel, customer service was EXCELLENT.

Pools were amazing, water was so warm we stayed there for hours, the bar was our fave place to hang out.

Hotel was clean and beautiful.

Views were amazing.

I'd recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to relax, have fun and loves the water.

Lansing, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

We love everything about the Riu Palace Las Americas. The lobby wowed us first thing, it is unbelievably gorgeous. Checkin was quick and simple. Our Jr suite is so comfortable with comfortable beds, large closet, sitting area and private balcony overlooking the pool and ocean. The bathroom is spacious. I have only two complaints and that is that the tap water isn't potable, so you have to remember to drink the water in the mini bar and use the bottled water for brushing your teeth. The second complaint are the tub/showers. There is no light inside the tub ares and it's a huge step up to get into it. At least they have really well anchored grab bars because you need them.

The quiet pool is an infinity pool and is amazing. Easy to get into and out of with a ledge on the side overlooking the ocean. It's really easy to forget how long you've been in the water when you rest there and watch the waves. The beach is small, but it manages to accommodate everyone who wants to get into some of the clearest, most amazing blue water I've ever seen.

There are several restaurants but to be honest we never bothered with any ut the one providing the buffet. We're used to cruising, but we have honestly never seen such a huge array and quantity of food in our lives before and it was all excellently prepared. There was no way we couldn't find something to suit our taste buds. And the desserts were small portions so we could try several items without feeling bad about our waistlines. The wait staff were excellent and always on hand.

There is a mall with nice shops just across the street. There are also a couple of shops tucked away inside the hotel itself.

All in all my husband and I are certain this is the best vacation we've had in a lomg time.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I’ll put the end of the story at the beginning. After my week’s stay, I was very satisfied with the Riu Palace Las Americas. I rate it as a solid “B” overall with A ratings in specific areas. My first impressions were a little underwhelming, but as time went on and I was able to appreciate the many amenities and strong points of the resort, the Riu Palace’s standing really improved in my eyes. Here’s my assessment broken down by category and with “helpful hints” thrown in as needed. As background, I traveled as part of a “family vacation” to celebrate my Dad’s 75th birthday. Our group consisted of Dad, 4 daughters ranging in age from 43 – 53, one brother-in-law, my boyfriend, and my children ages 22 and 23. We traveled from May 11 - 17th 2013.

CHECK-IN: This was the first area that underwhelmed me. You pull up to this gorgeous, white, and totally palatial edifice, but the interior reflects immediate need for improvement. I’ll concede that some my opinion is a matter of taste and what is aesthetically appealing to me, but I found the Louis XIV or French Renaissance style of décor to be quite ugly. On top of that, the overall furniture, art, and accessories found in the lobby just looked dated and cheap. A lot of it looks like wall art you’d find at Big Lots or a garage sale. Oh, and if you're bringing your children, be prepared for several HUGE portraits of nude women in the lobby. Personally, I prefer to see this kind of "art" hung in a museum.

One reviewer remarked that Riu has taken an older hotel and built a lovely exterior façade around it while failing to do a corresponding update to the inside. I found this to be true. The interior isn’t soiled, worn, or in disrepair, it’s just dated and reaching what I’d call its “sunset years.” The lobby and rooms both need facelifts. Hotel interior rates a C+ from me.

Of course check-in is at 3:00 and the Riu makes no effort to accommodate you any earlier than that. Naturally, not a single room is available unless it is 3:00! I always have a hard time believing that not even one room (say for an elderly person who might want to rest) is available if you arrive at 1:30 or 2:00. Nonetheless, when the magic hour arrived, we were again underwhelmed by the process of obtaining the rooms we expected.

ROOM ASSIGNMENT: The first issue was, according to the front desk rep, that only 34% of the rooms at the Riu have balconies. In my traveling experience, which is pretty extensive, a balcony is fairy standard at a beach front resort that dares to bill itself as a “palace.” Your balcony might not face the ocean or sea. It might face the pool, the street, or a non-descript corner, but you generally get one; not so at the Riu Palace Las Americas. Here, you only get a balcony under two circumstances: 1) you expressly select (and pay the premium) for a room with a balcony or 2) you get lucky, in which case, the given balcony will face the street. Why, you may ask is a balcony important? Again, it’s largely a matter of preference, but for me, 1) they’re a quiet place to sit and relax while your boyfriend/spouse/travel partner is in the shower, 2) they’re a great spot to hang wet swimgear and towels, 3) they’re lovely for watching sunrises and sunsets, and 4) last but not least, they’re convenient for smokers. To this point, I’m not a smoker, but my Dad is, while his grandson and roommate is not. Having a balcony helps to keep the so-called “non-smoking” rooms from becoming smoking rooms. Let’s face it, and I mean no offense or disrespect, but smokers are gonna smoke! A hotel can either give them a designated spot, or deal with the consequences when they light up wherever, including in rooms with no balconies!

The second issue is that a king-sized bed is hard to come by at the Riu Palace Las Americas. Even if you contact them by e-mail, as my sister did, and receive confirmation that a room with a king will be available for you, once you arrive, it’s the old “bait and switch!” My sister printed out the response that said "king beds confirmed" and showed it to the front desk rep, but said rep just blew this off. "So sorry, some kind of mistake, mi amiga!" In addition, it seems that to expect a room to have both king bed AND a balcony is WAAAY too much to ask. Two of us wanted king beds and one of us got one, but without the balcony. My sister and bro-in-law got the rare and precious balcony, but had to contend with two beds pushed together. Check in and room assignment rate a C from me.

ROOMS: Our group of nine had 4 rooms, so I’m not basing my comments on just one room. The rooms are spacious and have everything you need. The lighting is a bit sparse, and the bedspreads and window drapes are dark, which makes the rooms kinda dark overall, but you’ll manage with the lighting you have. I especially liked the oversized bathroom with lots of counter space and two double sinks. The towels and washcloths were also fairly plush and in good condition. Everything worked in our room except for one light bulb that was quickly addressed. The mini bar and fridge are well-stocked and maintained. There’s also a coffee maker, which we didn’t use, but I presume it worked. There is a ceiling fan in the room that works – switch is located on the wall behind a nightstand. The A/C worked fine, but not well enough to get rid of the damp smell in the rooms. Yes, all beachfront properties are susceptible to the damp sea air, but it was pretty extreme here. The hallways, rooms, and OMG, the elevators were pretty humid. Here are some helpful hints:

a) Bring at least 2 swimsuits – they will not dry overnight in the rooms and remember, you can’t necessarily hang them on the balcony because you might not have one. From what I observed at the front desk, it’s possible that even reserving a balcony will not guarantee one.
b) Beds are hard and/or the mattresses are worn. If you love a firm bed and/or don't mind a mattress with dips in the middle, you’ll be okay. I didn’t ask for the mattress topper, but I’ve read in other reviews that they are available.
c) Showers were great - plenty of hot water and good water pressure. However, the bathtub has 2 issues. First off, the outer wall of the tub is about 18 inches high. If you’re short, or like my Dad, elderly and “not-so-nimble,” this could be a concern. You really have to hoist your leg up and over to get into the tub. Second issue is that that tub floor is slippery. There’s no mat or appliqués to make it slip resistant. Fortunately, there are handrails, but my sister still slipped and fell in the tub. Fortunately, she was not hurt.
d) Room décor is old and kind of dark for considering that the hotel is on a tropical climate and you'd think they'd want the ambience to be light, colorful, and upbeat.
e) Elevators - I have 3 words for them: HOT, SMALL and AIRLESS. Thankfully, they’re not slow and there are only 8 floors. Otherwise, those elevators would have been a small piece of hell in the midst of paradise!

I rate the rooms a low B. If the beds were more comfortable and the rooms less dampish, they might eke out a B+.

FOOD AND DRINKS: Here’s where the hotel gets an “A” rating from me. The all-inclusive offerings are generally bland and repetitive. Our party only ate at the buffet, so I can’t comment on the so-called “specialty restaurants,” but we found the food at the buffet to be quite tasty for all meals. This isn’t to say that we loved everything we put on our plates, but by and large, the food was good and there was enough variety to keep you from getting bored with the choices. Here, I would particularly mention that the BBQ ribs were slammin! At dinner, the buffet had a “kids section” with pizza, burgers, fries, and chicken nuggets. There was also a carving station each night and those meats were especially tasty. If, like me, you are into aesthetics, I can tell you that the buffet was beautifully arranged and the food presented in a colorful and appealing manner. This was especially the case on Wednesday night, when it’s Mexican night. You will be amazed by what can be carved from melons and how "art" can be created from vegetables!

My family tends to be daiquiri, pina colada, and mixed-drink drinkers. We found the drinks to be very good, well-mixed, and not watered down. I can’t speak to whether “top shelf” alcohol was used or available (thought I did some some Absolut Vodka at the bars), but I can say that when we asked for extra rum, we got it and we tasted it. There is a menu of mixed drinks on the counter of each bar and if you like daiquiris and fruity drinks, try each one. You won't be disappointed. I especially suggest the drink called Costa Caribe.

POOL AND JACUZZI: The pool gets a low A rating, could have been a high A, but read on regarding the availability of umbrellas and shade. There are two pools and as you come out of the lobby, the one immediately in front of you is the “chill-out” pool. The one off to the right is the “activity pool.” When on vacation, we are not “pool people,” as we grew up with one in the backyard. However, my observation was that the pools were large, clean, and well maintained. I saw no evidence of “pool scum,” algae, or other issues that arise from the shortage, overage, or imbalance of chemicals. The water in the “chill out” pool was appropriately cool for the air temperature and there is a bar nearby. I assume that people were really “whooping it up” and having a great time at the activity pool because we could hear the music, games, and other noises associated with the clever “guest participation” events. Here I would also mention that the towel service was excellent with plenty of large, soft beach towels available daily.

There are about eight tanning beds along the pool deck and these are not covered. They just have pergolas above them. There are plenty of chairs on the pool deck, but only some of them have umbrellas. Relative to the size of the property and the pool, I’d say more umbrellas are needed in the pool area. This being the case, you’d be wise to get down to the pool no later than 6:30 to “reserve” chairs with umbrellas beside them. This is done by placing your towel and other belongings on those chairs having umbrellas beside them. We were a group of 9 who wanted to sit together AND to have shade, so this was the only way to go. One of us went down every morning at 6:00 and secured our space. We then went back to the room, had breakfast, etc. I know many people grumble about this informal “reservation system,” but it is the de facto “law of the land” and thankfully, people respected the practice. We never came down to find that our items had been moved or that people were sitting in the chairs that we had “reserved.” Love or hate the aforementioned system, I’m telling you it is the only way you’ll find shade at this resort. If you like to sleep late, bring extra sunscreen and a large-brimmed hat! The sun is fierce in Cancun and if you sleep in, you will not secure a shaded spot. There are a few palm trees along the pool deck and they offer a bit of shade, but again, trees are few and far between and the shade goes away as the day goes on. Read on for a hint about bringing your own umbrella.

The Jacuzzi closest to the “chill out” pool was nice, but I heard that on some days it was too hot and other days it was chilly. I’m not sure if this was a maintenance issue or one of personal preference. The times I went in I thought it was perfect! Also, I think they use bromine instead of chlorine so the vapor from the water doesn’t sting your eyes. I rate this jacuzzi an A. There are other jacuzzi’s on the property, including some on balconies. However, from my 8th floor window, I could see these private Jacuzzis but not one of them had water in it. Maybe they fill it up if someone’s actually assigned to the room. Otherwise, beware if you think you’re getting a room with a Jacuzzi. Could be the old bait and switch – “Yes, we gave you a Jacuzzi room, but we didn’t promise that the jacuzzi would be working! Our bad. Very sorry mi amigo!”

BEACH: The beaches on the northern end of Cancun have been impacted by storms and hurricanes over the past few years. A lot of the beachfront has been lost and the formerly soft sandy beaches have become more rocky. This is the case at Riu Palace Las Americas. The beachfront is small. It is kind of crescent shaped and extends wide from end-to-end. However, the beach is not deep in terms of the distance from the wall to the water. The beach is nonetheless beautiful. I’ve been to most of the Caribbean islands and Cancun has the most beautiful water by far! There are some rocks on the beach in the sea floor, but most of it is soft and sandy. If you don't like the sensation of unexpectedly landing a foot on a rock while frolicking in the sea, bring swim shoes. Thankfully, we did not see jellyfish or seaweed in the water. Also, there are beach and poolside " drink runners" who will take your drink order and deliver them to you, always a nice touch.

The hotel claimed to be 90% full when we checked in, although I’m not sure I believed this fact as it was dropped on us in the context of explaining why no balconies were available. However, if true, at 90% occupancy, there were plenty of CHAIRS on the beach for everyone. But there are ONLY chairs! Here’s a helpful hint:

BRING YOUR OWN BEACH UMBRELLA. There are no umbrellas or palapas on the beach at all. Regrettably, there are no palm trees either. If you bring your umbrella, either wrapped or in a carry case, it can be a “checked item” on the plane and with Delta, there was no additional charge. If you want to lie out on the beach AND have shade, bringing your own umbrella is a must. Also bring bungee cords to help secure the umbrella to the leg or back of the chair. If you don't want to be bothered with taking your own umbrella, you can purchase an umbrella from the nearby Wal-Mart if you prefer. (20 minute bus ride from the hotel) Otherwise, as I said earlier, the sun is hot and the hotel is positioned so that there is plenty of sun throughout the day.

The beach gets a "B" rating from me, as I take 10 points away because of the total absence of umbrellas on the beach.

ANOTHER HELPFUL HINT ABOUT THE BEACH: We went to Playa Delfines, a public beach on the southern end of the strip for family photos. The beach on the southern end of the strip is much bigger and nicer than on the northern end. It's both wide and deep AND has umbrellas. I mention this in the event you are turned off by the small beach I've described here. If you elect a hotel on the southern end (i.e. Golden Parnassus, Iberostar) your beach will indeed be nicer but your location will be less convenient. There is very little within walking distance of the hotels on that end. That being said, bus service is quick, cheap, and safe. The buses run 24/7.

SERVICE: We found service to be excellent in every respect. Beginning with the bellmen, and continuing with the servers, housekeeping staff, bartenders, drink runners, and other support personnel, everyone works very hard to ensure that your experience is exactly as you wish it to be. In spite of the heat and the demands of “service worker” jobs, the staff at the Riu Palace Las Americas is warm, pleasant, charming, and always accommodating. Here’s where another A rating is well deserved. The staff works hard and delivers service with a smile. As other reviewers have stated, if you can afford to tip, it is appreciated. If not, the level of service will not be impacted.

SPA and GYM: I didn't get a good look in the spa as my boyfriend and I chose to have our sunset massages out on the beach. However, the reception area was lovely, smelled nice, and had tranquil music playing. Our massages were wonderful and well done. There is nothing like enjoying this little bit of pampering while listening to the sea waves rolling. It was SOOOO relaxing. The spa pricing was what you'd expect for a hotel, but business seemed slow and they were running a special of $20.00 off most treatments. The spa and massage rate an A.

I didn't see much of the gym, but it appeared to be a workout room - nothing large or fancy.

NIGHTLY ENTERTAINMENT: We caught the "Michael Jackson Show" which was surprisingly well done. We also heard an R&B band one night and they were off the chain. There was a pianist in the lobby in the early evenings and one night there was a Cuban instrumentalist in the lobby playing Latin music. He was excellent. On another night, they had a small "casino" set up in the lobby. The Riu succeeded in offering a variety of nighttime entertainment, and based on what we saw, it wasn't "cheesy." They get an A in this category.

KIDS ACTIVITIES and PARTY SCENE: We didn't have children in our group nor did we see many families with school-age children during our stay. I think this can be explained by the fact that in mid-May, school is still in session in the U.S. I'm not sure about Europe. There were a few families with infants and toddlers along, but that was about it. That being said, I did not observe a lazy river, playground, or separate children's pool on the property. Perhaps when more children are present, the staff organizes activities specifically for them -- something to check out in advance if this is important to you.

During our stay, this hotel had a mostly adult crowd made up of a mixture from about 30-ish on up. This did NOT appear to be a "party resort." Other than the entertainment I've described, there was no loud music, drinking, and "wild party" antics going on after dark. The grounds were fairly quiet at night and the entertainment and shows finished up around 10:30. Again, there were plenty of clubs and bars a short walk away and my children (ages 22 and 23) had a great time at Senior Frog's "Glow Party." My assessment is that the Riu Palace offers something for everybody but it may not be the best option for the hard party crowd or children.

LOCATION: Rates in A+. This resort is in the perfect spot for shopping, fun, and entertainment. As others have written, this hotel is just steps away from the nightlife and action that Cancun has to offer. Just about everything you'd like to do (short of scheduled tours) is within an easy walk from this hotel. You like shopping at a mall? There's one across the street. Prefer haggling with the street vendors? They're also across the street. The biggest clubs, bars, and party spots are also across the street. The exception here is Senor Frog's Club, which is a 10 minute bus ride away. Want to catch a performance at the Convention Center? It's a 5 - 10 minute walk. Want to eat off property for a meal or two? Plenty of restaurants across the street. I've already commented about the buses, but I would expressly advise not to waste your money on taxis, unless you're in that category of people who just "got it like that."

WEATHER: Not that we can control or predict it, but we had a gorgeous week in Cancun. It was warm (mid 80s) and sunny each day. Nights were warm, but not sweltering as they can be in July or August. It was a perfect week in terms of weather.

RIU PALACE LAS AMERICAS or RIU PENINSULA - HOW TO CHOOSE? If, like our group, you are also considering the Riu Peninsula, I have a two observations that may be useful. They are as follows:

a) The Riu Peninsula, though shiney and new, is in the middle of nowhere. There is nothing nearby and you'll have to take bus or taxi for any shopping, clubs, outside restaurants etc. It is not a long bus ride - maybe 10 minutes tops, but it's not the same as having "the action" right across the street or a short walk up the block. If location isn't a big factor for you, this is a non-issue.

b) The beach at Peninsula is even smaller than the one at Riu Palace Las Americas and also has no umbrellas and surprisingly, little sand. The beach is extremely rocky with large, flat rocks serving as platform upon which beach chairs have been placed. Yep, the beach chairs aren't in the sand, they're on the rocks. I'd expect, but cannot confirm, that given size of the beach and the absence of a sandy beachfront, the pools at the Riu Peninsula are to die for. But if you're more of a beach-lover, the size and condition of the beach at Peninsula is something to consider.

My family ruled out the Riu Peninsula because the bathroom was not a room in and of itself. There is no separate bathroom per se. Based upon a close look at the photos of the room, the commode is in it's own small closet, but the shower opens up into the room itself and sink and vanity areas are part of the room. Although we're all family, we wanted a little more privacy than that arrangement offers. We intended to go take a look at the Riu Peninsula to see what the new property was like. However, after a few of us rode by it on jetskis and saw the beach situation, we weren't inclined to check it out. So I'm not trying to slam the Riu Peninsula, just trying to add some perspective based upon our view of their beach and their location on the strip. Depending on what you're looking for the above cited observations may or may not be helpful for you.

CONCLUSION: Upon arrival, I wasn't impressed with the Riu Palace Las Americas. I was turned off by the interior, what I perceived as the "bait and switch" at check-in, and the damp musty smell of the rooms and hallways. However, as I said, by the end of the week, the positives outweighed the negatives. I realized how little time I was spending in the rooms and hallways and the nose actually gets used to the smell of dampness. The location, service, food, beach, spa, and other offerings were of such quality that they more than made up for the aspects of the hotel that I've rated "needs improvement." When all was said and done, our group felt that the Riu Palace Las Americas was a good value for the money. It's not a luxurious or upscale property, but it's nice enough to garner a "Very Good" rating from this writer. If you aren't impressed at the outset, give the Riu Palace a chance and I bet it will grow on you. It did for me. I hope you go and have a WONDERFUL time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Walden, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

This is our 8th year at this hotel and it couldn't have been better. The staff at this hotel is the best. They remember your name from year to year. Abundio, the best bartender in the world is still there and as he sees you come around the corner towards the bar your drink is already waiting for you. The new refurbished Krystal is beautiful the wait staff there is also great, Regio and Tomas are exceptional. This hotel is one one of the cleanest we have seen. We intend to
go again next year. There is nothing bad to say about this resort.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas? Share your experiences!