“The most beautiful place to stay felt very spoilt. So clean nothing was too much trouble xx” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas

You added Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulcan, Km 8.5, Manzana 50 | Lote 4, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EARLY BIRD SUMMER DEALS
Ranked #20 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
Certificate of Excellence 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Do not stay anywhere else but here they go above and beyond with service. My son got married here and it was so perfect. The entertainment was fabulous well done to all the guys and girls for their hard work. Xx

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Franklin, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This was my 13th trip to Cancun and I have only stayed in two hotels twice, so I've seen them all. I have to say that the Riu palace was by far the most quiet hotel I have ever stayed in. There is almost no hussle and bussle anywhere in this hotel. I was impressed by how easy it was to make reservations for a la carte dining. Usually I am prepared to beg or even bribe the reservationist because they always say there are no seats available for you first night. That was not the case here at all. We made all our reservations for our trip on our first morning with ease. I have never ran into any bad weather but this trip was a bit gloomy so we took advantage of the spa for massages and they were great. We did lots of shopping and the location made it very easy to get around because it is in the heart of the hotel zone. I have stayed at two other RIU's in Cancun but this one blew them both out of the water. There was not one spec of dirt or dust anywhere in this property and the rooms were a lot bigger than I am used to in Cancun. Saulo was our waiter daily at the outdoor lunch buffet and the Mexican restaurant. I highly recommend him. I can't wait to go back. It looks like I found another hotel I might pay a repeat visit to!!!

Room Tip: Higher rooms have a better view over the palm trees
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

First of all I will address the 'musty smell' issue that I've read in quite a few reviews on this hotel -
When we first arrived, yes I did smell it the minute I was seated in the bar for the check in service. But there is alot of wood decor in the hotel, it's on the beach and your in the tropics so I expect this had something to do with it. Strangely, the next morning when I went into the lobby the smell wasn't there and didn't smell it again for the rest of our stay. My husband didn't notice a smell at all.

CLEANLINESS - was like nothing I've ever experienced in my life! Counted 9 maids cleaning just the lobby alone one morning. Always someone cleaning something somewhere! Doubt you'd find anywhere cleaner.

FOOD - there's a buffet and 5 speciality restaurants. If you cannot find something to eat in the buffet then I think you have issues! Food quality was top notch.The amount of choice was astonishing. In fact, some nights I'd have 2 dinners because I couldn't choose!
Breakfast had to be my fave!! Lovely omlette guy stands there all morning making omlettes to order. Pancakes were also incredible!
For the restaurants you need to book 48 hours in advance. We tried 3 out of the 5. Our favourite had to be the Mexican followed by Krystal then the Steak house.
For these you order off a menu. Would recommend tipping 50-100 peso in the restaurants for the service.

STAFF - so helpful and friendly. Cannot do enough for you. The buffet waiters particularly impressed us - our favourite Justino always had a table waiting for us and a fresh drink ready before we'd taken the last swig of our drink.
When by the pool or on the beach you do not even need to get up to get a drink, they have drinks waiters running back and forth taking orders all day (please remember to tip they really do deserve it!!).
Entertainment team were great too, my husband really enjoyed water volley every day at 11am and 4pm. They are all very enthusiastic and make an effort to get to know the guests. Evening shows were good too. Make sure you get to see the Michael Jackson and Grease shows during your stay.
Our shower stopped working one evening and within 10 minutes reception had someone in to fix it. This was at 9pm and was fixed that night - very impressed!

ROOMS - we had a sea view junior suite. Very spacious. Air con was amazing! Balconey door is supplied with a slide with a mosquito net so you can leave it open (although there were no mozzies during our stay).
You get a huge bed, plenty of draws and a walk in closet!
Had no problems using the safe, only slight annoyance was having to carry a key around which I was paronoid about losing. Digital would be the way forward.

THOMSON - Our rep Amie was great, held a good 'welcome meeting' advised us on places to check out. Even helped us with how much to tip people (which we were clueless about when we arrived).
She was available 24/7 on her phone which we thought was good service.

LOCATION - The hotel is smack back in the middle if the hotel zone. If you are just after a relaxing beach holiday then you do not need to leave the hotel as it's on the beach.
However, go out of the hotel - shopping mall across the road. Coco Bongo, Hard Rock cafe, Hooters are just a 10 minute walk.
Senor Frogs is also within walking distance.
Check out La Isla shopping mall either by taxi (120 peso) or bus (17 peso for 2 people).
Buses go every 2-3 minutes and are so cheap!
There is a lagoon across the road with crocs in it. We were amazed to walk by one day and see one resting beside the lagoon!

The atmosphere in the hotel was brilliant, perfect mix of couples, few familes, wedding parties. Quiet pool and a more lively pool with activities.
Best of both worlds in this hotel, the RIU CANCUN next door was suited more for the 'louder' guests so we were glad we'd chosen the palace!

Make sure you visit Coco Bongo and Chichen Itza.
Met a lovely couple "Hi Kerry and Steve!".
Simply couldn't have wished for a better honeymoon.
Can't fault the hotel or staff, really hope to return someday.
Cannot stop smiling THANK YOU SO MUCH TO ALL AT RIU PALACE LAS AMERICAS! You deserve all 5 of your stars.

The Marlows xx

• Stayed April 2013
Trail, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

canadian couple here to give you our thoughts....my goodness, where do I start with this amazing resort. it HAS to start with the people. hands down this is THE best group of people you will ever have the chance to be around. every last person there will go above and beyond every day to ensure you are happy, this coming from the heart as well, they genuinely care and WANT to help in any way possible. wow. nothing spared, ask and you shall receive.
checking us in was gerrardo. this young man called us by name and said "I've been expecting you". (where the heck have you come accross that ?) very nice young man and was very helpful with some questions - an absolute pleasure checking in. thank you gerrardo, you allways looked after us off and on during our two week stay. we really appreciate it. thank you riu.
housekeeping staff were excellent and we thank you. when we needed our room done, it was not only perfect, they are as you know magicians with towels, and they didn't dissapoint. allways a new creation , and, fresh flowers surrounding our bathroom sinks. sometimes on the pillows. tammy just loved this wonderful touch. tammy's birthday was the 14 , and housekeeping left her balloons, a big happy birthday sign and a creation for her. just more people going above and beyond.
the food. my goodness, never in our dreams did we think buffet at las americas would be like it is. FABULOUS ! here is a dedicated group of people that work so very hard every day, from the heart, to bring you the very best fresh food that there is to offer in mexico. from the bottom of our hearts, THANK YOU edgar, alonso , speedy gonzalez and the rest of edgars people who just amazed us every day. where have you been where the head chef is not only accessible , but he came to me and said if there was something I wanted that was not in his buffet, he would go to the back , get the necessary ingredients and make it. he wasn't kidding. over the top, over the moon edgar. prime rib....melt in your mouth. chicken to die for. fresh seafood that melts in your mouth too. food galore. everything to perfection. every day. the riu is so very lucky to have edgar , alonso, speedy, and the rest of his totally dedicated people, they are first class and will ensure you are well fed. tammy and I again want to thank all the above. amazing.
ok, now the thank youy's go to the waiters and bussboys etc. geez, they work their butts off to ensure every need is taken care of. thank you enrique, you and your staff were magnificent. over the top. nicholas was our go to guy for breakfast and lunch. he was full of answers and just was so humble and pleasant, thanks nicholas, we appreciate all you did for us ! handsome dennis. what can I say about this lightning fast , full of energy and personality, he was our go to guy for dinner. here is another example of just over the top service. first class service from this young man every single time. total dedication here too and right from the heart. where does the riu find these people. one after another. thank you so much dennis, it was as I said to edgar OUR pleasure......it was a riot going to dinner knowing handsome dennis would be there to look after us.
outside by the pool we have jamie on the blender. a man of few words but ALLWAYS a smile and a fist butt, was allways bang on. thanks jamie. then we have juan our waiter. wow. its obvious he loves his job, totally dedicated and before I left he came and thanked me personally for coming to the reort and told how much he appreciated me being there. what a wonderful man and it pained me to not only leave the resort but leaving also ment leaving juan. we miss you and look forward to seeing you soon juan.
arianda on the front desk. whayt a little ray of sunshine is this young lady. thank you my dear. every single time tam and I were greeted with a huge smile and a ton of help. an absolute pleasure to deal with this young lady. again - las americas has people that just step up to the plate and deliver . we are still smiling after dealing with you.
kow how good it gets.....even the lifeguard helps. need something ? flag him and your worries are over. great with the people, wonderful with the kids and there to help medically if needed. did a nice joib patching up a cut someone sustained and glad to do it. a comfortable feeling knowing he was not far away...
last but not least our evening lounge bartender, abuondo. thanks to a most humble man and we enjoyed him our whole two weeks. allways a good feeling knowing he was coming on shift, we thank him tremendously.
we would also like to thank the entertainment staff who also strive to ensure you are having a good time. awesome group of people working hard every day.
las americas has these people who set the bar as far as we are concerned. second to none and we thank every single person involved.
I guess I should tell you that the facility is oustanding. magnificent. spotless clean and will leave you wanting to come back. beach is fabulous, waves not crashing in , you can wade out and feed the fish that are just delightful, a highlight for tammy ! room was 415, fantastic view, beautiful room and even better view.
do yourself a favour and stay at this resort, it is worth every penny. outstanding resort with a team of people that come together and DELIVER. nothing is overlooked. book, check in and enjoy the best all inc in mexico. bar none. the people make the difference.
big companies are allways looking to change, make things "better'. TO THE RIU PEOPLE AT HEAD OFFICE - DON'T CHANGE THE WAY THIS RESORT OPERATES. PLEASE ! if anything have a look ! these people do it right every day and we are so very grateful. we want to thank them and are not quite sure how but we know a start is to book another stay with las americas. we know for all staff listed above this will be a great way to say thank you. all our love, tammy and dave from canada. ALL THE BEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
west midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We were a party of eleven and have just visited this hotel for two weeks from the 6th to the 20 April 2013. The choice of food in the main buffet was second to none and on the whole was very good. We visited all of the speciality restaurants and found the Krystal restaurant to be by far the best with the steakhouse coming second. I would not bother with the others as we felt they were disappointing, We tended to eat in the same section in the buffet restuarant and have to give a special thanks to Felipe and Daniel who knew exactly what we needed when we sat down. We always had a fresh supply of hot coffee, hot water and lime portions at breakfast and dark amber beer and rose wine at lunchtime,

Our rooms were all on the sixth floor with wonderful views of the beach and the ocean our suite was 621. We asked for a sea view even though we had not booked one and was given an upgrade which we really appreciated, Our cleaner Carmela worked very hard and made sure our room was perfect for our return from a day by the pool. Our towel sculptures were a nice added extra with fresh flower petals scattered around some days. We took the advice from another reviewer to take some tumble dryer sheets to put inside the wardrobe and amongst our clothes in the drawers to help eliminate the "musty" smell although it wasnt too bad in our room, One of our party however were in room 617 and they felt there room was damp and they had a nasty experience with a rather large cockroach but it was dealt with quickly and efficiently and the room was sprayed straight away during their absence that day.

The staff were wonderful, attentive, polite and pleasant and we have to give a special mention to Fermin, Francisco and Brenda in the lobby bar and outside terrace and also Mariana and Ernesto in the square bar by the Japanese restaurant. We taught them how to make "Woo Woo's" with a little compromise and every time we asked for one Mariana would have a big smile on her face. Also all the waiters by the pool where they constantly supplied us with drinks to quench our thirst during very hot weather.

It was our first visit to Mexico and to a Riu hotel but from the service we received we shall definitely be looking at Riu hotels in the future. We took the opportunity to go to a few places and some of the things I would recommend is the Captain Hook night which was brilliant and a great party atmosphere. The Isle of Mejuras is lovely especially if you hire a buggy like we did and went all around, it seems the most popular mode of transport and there are some spectacular views., We also went to Xcaret and swam with the dolphins which was fantastic in fact we enjoyed the interaction with the dolphins much better than at Discovery Cove in Florida and we felt that we had more time with them at Xcaret. Highly recommended,

On a negative note we all at sometime experienced "tummy problems" some still having symptoms on our return and one of our party had to consult a doctor and was given injections and tablets while at the resort. I would not say that this had anything to do with the food at the hotel as everything was spotless but I think it is something that future travellers should take into consideration. My advice would be to be well armed with medication and stomach remedies to alleviate the symptoms,. All in all though this is a fantastic hotel in a beatiful location and I would definitely recommend it. Pay a visit to the Peninsula as well for lunch it's great too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The Service is extraordinary! The staff is so nice! The resort is "WOW"! Beautiful weather. Pretty good food. Amazing views! Every nook & cranny was thoroughly clean. I can't imagine anyone wouldn't enjoy this place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
newcastle upon tyne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This hotel is second to none, and I do not have any bad things to say about it. The staff are all very friendly and nothing seems too much trouble. Even if you are sitting on the beach this little man comes and brings you drinks he nver stops.

The only slight downside and I mean slight is the humidity, your clothes tend to feel a little damp, and the lobby has a funny smell, a but like a museum... small price to pay, would love to go back but the long haul flight is a killer from the UK,

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the pool which was lovely
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas? Share your experiences!