“Outstanding getaway vacation at the Riu Palace Las Americas Cancun” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas

Best prices from these 3 sites
and 1 more site!
Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulcan, Km 8.5, Manzana 50 | Lote 4, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive Reward!
Ranked #20 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
detroit
“Outstanding getaway vacation at the Riu Palace Las Americas Cancun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Just got back on 3/23/13 from a solo 4 day getaway at the RIU, WOW what a place to relax and enjoy. From the moment I checked in until I checked out, it was A+ service. The hotel is absolutely gorgious, room was pefect, balcony cabin overlooking the beach, its worth it to pay the extra for the balcony upgrade, there is nothing like the sound of the ocean at night. Beach was beautiful, white sand and turquoise water. The food was excellent, a little bit of everything for everyone. Of course, my favorite was guacamole, salsa, and chips ( the best)... buffet is open till 10:30, I suggest to make a plate and put in the fridge in your room for late night cravings, maybe grab some fruit for breakfast if you just want to relax on the balcony in the morning. Cocktails from 6:30-to 8:30 in main lobby (OMG the best drinks I have ever had.) I went by myself for some me time, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Its a wise idea to bring tip money, they work very hard and I am sure travel a long way to make much less than we do. Be kind and tip well. and yes, I will deffinately book to stay there again. Riu has it all, the only thing I recommend is bring a pen for the plane to fill out the paperwork for customs, you'll def need it unless you wanna wait and wait and wait like I did for someone who was kind enough to lend me one.

Room Tip: be sure to ask for a balcony cabin overlooking the beach, absolutely beautiful. At night, you can o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Puyallup, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I will be staying at Las Americas next week,for my second stay here.The food is not awful,and overall is really quite good,so if you can not find something you like you are very hard to please.As far as cheap booze,the booze in the rooms includes Bacardi rum,Jose Quervo tequila,and Smirnoff vodka.Other AI's have much lesser brands in the rooms,and I know that if you go to lobby bar you get even higher end liquors if you ask.I had Don Julio tequila,and Grey Goose vodka.As far as the staff they all were extremely pleasant,and work extremely hard.See you all next week.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Read a hundred reviews before and after booking this resort and while the majority of them are accurate, some are highly questionable. Hubby and I stayed 5 nts in March 2013. Hotel at or near capacity.

Here's the low-down with some tips:
1. Riu PLA is smelly. If you don't smell the mustiness then you probably don't smell much of anything. The water smells like sulphur but the musty smell in the rooms must come from the air conditioning units or the woodwork. It isn't horrible, but you WILL need to wash everything when you come home and you WILL need to air out your suitcases. Ours are in the garage right now. Don't bring your best Coach bag! I brought my cheapo old leather one and I don't know if it will air out or not and don't really care as can throw it away. This is our first resort stay in Cancun (only one day stays from cruiseships prior) so maybe this is the common smell of the area? However, we didn't notice this same musty smell at either Riu Cancun or Riu Palace Peninsula during day visits. At check-in, I told the front desk person that since my husband has asthma and is allergic to mold, could they please put us in a less moldy room based on the many reviews I read on TA. They gave us an oceanview balcony room on 5th floor. I'm guessing that all rooms will be the same. I'd also bet money that every place built prior to the 2005 hurricane has the same smelly issues. My husband never got an asthma attack so it isn't too bad.

2. Employees are fantastic. Every waiter, housekeeper, bartender is amazing. Gave them $1 for each two drinks and gave the a la carte waiter $5 - $15. Left $2 each morning by housekeeping card in room. At buffet, tipped omlette/eggs-to-order guy $1 and if the wait staff did something special we gave them $1 or $2 (got us bloody marys or something). Loads of reviews rip on the front desk staff, but we found them to be fantastic. I personally talked to about 7 of them as I had questions every day or night. They were incredibly friendly and helpful. I never waited more than a minute to talk to them as they always have 4-6 working day or night. Yes, I know that AI means gratuities included, but this is what I recommend. These people work their tails off for you. Bring $35 in 5's and $65 in 1's (US) for a 5 nt stay and you will be set. We even tipped the mini-bar people $4 over the course of 5 days (note in fridge asking for what we wanted). They gave us loads of bottled waters and whatever we needed whenever we needed them or you can just walk up to the lobby bar and they'll give you anything you need.

3. The food is quite good for an AI but definitely not great. You should be able to find something you like unless you are royally picky. We ate at every one of the five a la cartes as well as the buffet. I didn't like about 1/2 of what I had and then just didn't eat it as something good is available with the next course or you can save room for later. We've been on 14 cruises and I'd say this place is closer to the quality of Carnival but not anywhere as good as Royal or NCL. I was concerned having a sensitive stomach, but didn't get sick and drank the ice water at all restaurants as it is purified. The water in your bathroom sink and shower is NOT POTABLE. Use bottled water for toothbrushing. Ask them for Heinz ketchup instead of the weird stuff at the buffet.

Best a la cartes in order are Japan, Italian (esp for lunch), Krystal, Mexican, Steakhouse. Although the policy is two days ahead for reservations, we were able to get a reservation for the first, second and third nights right away after we checked in as they weren't full. Had to go back the next day for fourth night and the next day for the fifth night. Didn't get there until around 11:00a and had no problems getting what we wanted.

3.5. Beverages. If you ask you will get Absolut or Beefeater or Reposado or whatever. If you want it stronger, tell them before you order. All those reviewers complaining of "watered down drinks" must be utterly helpless.

4. Pools, grounds, lobby, rooms (we had Jr. Ste Oceanview w/Balcony), are all 5*. Beach is also the best in the area. We NEVER had to struggle to find a pool lounge chair and we never tried before 11:30a. Beach has 3 rows of about 30 chairs each and I never saw more than half of them in use. Saw many quiet areas with chairs that were never used. The reviewers that say they had to get up at 7:00a to reserve a chair with their towels must have stayed somewhere else. Or, maybe we just didn't have a bunch of dorks during our week who felt the need to do that? I will post a few photos and you can see for yourself all the empty chairs - during spring break week.

4.5 Beds. Yes, they are firm but are of good quality. Reviewers that claim "rock hard" have obviously never been to a Bayport Inn or a mid-level resort.

5. Theft concerns. I didn't hear of anybody having anything stolen. Because I was concerned, I bought a "Vacation Vault" online ahead of time for $25. It held my camera, wallet, hubby's wallet, room safe key and still had room in it. I would hook the cable through a handle of my pool bag and then thru the arm of the pool chair. It was then mostly out of sight inside the pool bag. Slick. There was no way anyone could just walk up and take my bag/vault while we were in the pool or whatever. We left the ipad and passports and some cheaper jewelry in the room safe. A laptop won't fit. I love my vacation vault and will be using it many times in the future, I'm sure. Used it at Xel-Ha inside the lockers there and didn't worry one iota about my stuff.

6. Internet. Worked great from our 5th floor room or balcony which was just about the farthest distance away from the lobby as possible. Also used around the resort without problems. People with problems I can't imagine. No extra charge for this btw.

7. Getting around and money. A very short walk over to Riu Cancun to the city bus stop if you're going east/north-bound (ie to Riu Peninsula or WalMart). On the way back you walk thru the tiny shopping center. Buses are new and clean. Make sure you have 20 peso bills for 2 people to go anywhere and the bus driver will give you a few peso coins back. Ask him if this bus goes to where you want to go and then he'll likely let you know when you are there (as ours always did). We went one day to Walmart as I needed something from the health & beauty area as well as some grocery type items. We lucked out and hit a large grocery store closer to the bus stop so didn't have to go the extra couple of blocks to Walmart. It had a pharmacia in it as well as any kind of other stuff you need from a large grocery store. Yes, they will sell you rx stuff without a prescription. I bought $300 US at Wells Fargo bank before we left and got 3,490 pesos. I didn't attempt to exchange in Cancun as don't like to waste my precious vacation time doing stuff like that. Hotels won't exchange for you but I think you can buy just about anything in Cancun with US$. You get better deals with pesos, though. $300 was too much since we're not big shoppers.

8. RPLA shops have good prices. For instance, a nice hat for hubby cost us 350 pesos at a shop that we had to barter with starting at 650 pesos. Saw same hat at hotel shop for 300 pesos later. Ugh. Xel-ha's water shoes are 399 pesos but RPLA giftshop was only 365.

9. Airport Transportation. We had private xfer pre-arranged with our package deal. However, people told us that it is only $24 for a one way taxi ride so that would have been more economical. Don't book the shared transportation or you'll spend a ton of time picking up and dropping off people as others told us. Definitely need to breeze past the timeshare sales people at the airport and just get outside to ground transportation. RPLA is about 35 mins from airport.

IN CONCLUSION,
RPLA deserves their 4.5 rating on TA. I would recommend it to others. Do visit Riu Cancun and Riu Palace Peninsula for a couple of hours and maybe for lunch as your Riu PLA bracelet (same color as Peninsula) gets your drinks and lunch everywhere. If you book Riu Cancun you can only exchange at Riu Caribe.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This was our second time at the Riu Palace Las Americas. Our trip this year was hampered by a couple days of poor weather but the entertainment staff did a great job of keeping all interested in remaining busy and enjoying their time. I want to thank Jack and his team of working hard as this is one of the main reasons we go back.

We had requested a corner room and to our pleasure we were granted our request. All poolside rooms have great views and were always well maintained and cleaned. The minifridge was never short of water, pop, or beer.

We ate at two ala cartes. The steakhouse most of us had the surf and turf. Both were done were to our liking and we really enjoyed the presentation of the baked alaska. We also ate at Krystal. This also was amazing and challenged us to step outside the box and eat foods that we normally wouldn't order at home.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Keighley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is about 40 minutes from the airport. The reception area is certainly impressive. Check in was smooth but one senior member of staff let the team down with her sour face! The rooms are spacious, full on sea view rooms are a must as our initial room had a side view and we asked to be moved. We went with Thomsons and our rep Kia was fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble when we asked for advice etc. There is a main dining room which offers a great variety of dishes but sadly often served cold. They also have five separate restaurants and if you wish to eat at these you have to book in advance.All the restaurants were very good and we preferred to eat there. We were on an all inclusive basis and we didn't have to pay any extra to eat at these restaurants. You can eat in the Italian restaurant at lunch time without booking but you have to book for an evening meal. The staff are amazing, so friendly and helpful. It was my partners birthday when we were there and they made a special effort to give him a day to remember. The table was beautifully decorated and they made him a cake.
The rooms do not have a kettle, so take your own travel kettle and tea bags. We also took with us small cartons of UHT milk and put them in the drinks fridge. There is a coffee maker in the room which actually makes a decent cup. We had free optics in the room full of spirits. BE VERY CAREFUL if you are from the UK because despite being told my hairdryer would be safe to use it actually burnt out and I had to throw it in the bin! The safes are free.
Towels are provided for the pool/beach free of charge and you can change them as often as you like. The cocktails are fantastic and there was an endless supply of American champagne. The waiters are so on the ball that when they see you coming they have your favourite drink waiting.
We were very impressed to be informed that because we had a gold Riu band on our wrists (given at check in) we could have free drinks and food (apart from evening meal) in any of the other surrounding Riu hotels. The very impressive Riu Palace Peninsula is a 40 minute walk down the beach, worth a look as it is ultra modern. It's good to walk there for a drink or two and then lunch. THE END!

• Stayed March 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Great views, staff, grounds and variety of restaurants. Staff is super friendly during our entire stay. Very clean hotel and rooms. Hotel allows you to enjoy all their other Rius with your wrist band you can stop in during your travels if you pass another Riu anywhere in Mexico.

• Stayed April 2012
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We went to Riu Palace in February 2013. This was our first trip to Cancun, but we have traveled the Caribbean frequently.
Pros: The staff was out of this world! The other reviewers were dead on when they said that there was someone cleaning something constantly. As far as wait staff, Felipe at breakfast was phenomenal. My husband wanted to take him home with us!
The food was comparable to other all inclusives. We did not make reservations to the themed restaurants so cannot comment on that. The main dining room did have a "no sleeveless" rule for men but anything else as far as dress code seemed to fly.
Room: We lucked out and got a wrap around balcony with views to the infinity pool and the entire beach area. It was an incredible view and we spent a lot of time on the balcony. Our mini bar was stocked daily and we had plenty of water. The a/c worked very well in the room and we had 85 degree weather while we were there.
Tip: Ask for bottled water at the lobby bar when going out for the day. They will be happy to oblige.
Cons: I hate to say it but the reviewers who mentioned "musty smell" were also right on the money. I read the reviews before we went and didn't believe it was that big of a deal, but after being home for 3 weeks and numerous washings, the musty smell is still lingering on our clothes. I even packed a plug in air freshener but that didn't seem to help.

As far as sight seeing, we went to the Tortugranja Farm (turtle rescue) on Isla Mujeres and enjoyed that very much.
All in all, a good trip. I gave it a 8.5 and my husband a 7 out of 10. We would probably have rated it higher if we had been there before and knew our way around. We thought the hotel zone bus drivers were not very helpful to the first timers.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas? Share your experiences!