“One of the nicest Riu's! Beautiful location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas

You added Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulcan, Km 8.5, Manzana 50 | Lote 4, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #21 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Orlando, Florida
“One of the nicest Riu's! Beautiful location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We spent a 3 day weekend here. The property has a beautiful exterior appearance and spectacular location. The interior is similar to the other Riu's but well kept and very clean. We had an ocean view room with an amazing view. The overall service was excellent. The staff is very attentive and take the initiative to anticipate your needs. The food was good - not exceptional but better than the average all inclusive resort. We eat at the buffet for most of our meals. The food was freshly prepared. Nice verity of fresh fruit, seafood, salads and tasty freshly prepaired fruit juices. We only able to dine at one speciality restaurant as it was difficult to get reservations. The swim up pool bar is a lot of fun and the dacaris are phanomial. Tip the bartender and the will be very generous with the alcohol. Overall, we had a great time. I would recommend this resort. We will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Swanton, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My wife, 8 year old daughter and I spent a month here for the third year in a row. Upon arriving one of the beach waiters "Enrique AKA Quiqui" blew me away when he called me by name and asked me if I wanted my favorite drink which he remembered from 11 months ago! All the staff remembered us and our names. It was like coming home! Every employee here greets you in some manner to make you feel comfortable.
The food has improved over the last three years. Although the italian restaurant was our least favorite and Krystal being our favorite. You couldn't ask for a better entertainment staff, they always have something planned whether it be rain or shine. The entertainment staff at this hotel puts on two shows that they put so much of their heart and time into, both of these shows are a must see, "The Crazy Marathon" & "RockStation".
This hotel goes above and beyond to make sure you have the best vacation possible, all of the staff here are all incredible people, they are not just staff, they are "friends"!!
The place is extremely clean and well kept, there is someone cleaning the lobby all day, the lobby bathrooms are always spic and span, the beach is cleaned nightly, I can honestly say in the month that we stayed here I never really saw anything out of place or dirty.
The waiters are very attentive, you are never without a drink thats for sure, waiters are everywhere, lobby, lobby bar, theatre, poolside and beach. Drinks are not watered down and are very tasteful, one of my favorites was the "chocolate martini".
This hotel definitely goes above and beyond to make sure you have one of the best vacations possible and they are constantly trying to make improvements.
If you have kids this is for sure the place to go, the kids club is incredible, they take your child for 5 hrs a day and do many fun activities and also bring them to lunch, this was a great way for my wife and I to get time alone together to just relax on the beach while our daughter was off having fun with other kids. They also do a "mini disco" for the kids each night at 8:30 that the whole family gets to enjoy.
I would have to say our only complaint is the noise from inconsiderate guests (usually drunk)at all ours of the night. If there were a security guard walking the floors of the hotel ALL night instead of just the lobby the place would be much more restful.
Very special thank you to our "friends" at the Riu Palace Las Americas for another fantastic vacation. You are like family to us, and we miss you already!

Room Tip: 8th floor doesn't have a balcony
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ontario Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

After reading some of the negative reviews, I can't say that I experienced anything worthy of a complaint. Don't want to repeat the other reviews but the place is immaculate with very friendly and helpful staff. Special thanks to Miguel at the front door for helping to track down my wife's missing case (thumbs down to united airlines for "misplacing it") and to Denis in the main buffet, his wife Brenda in the lobby bar, Uzi and Alex in the entertainment crew for always making us feel welcome. Great view from room (432). The only minor inconvenience I had was that the room safes still use keys and we were constantly worrying who had the key and did the kids lock the safe or not!! I prefer the larger key code type of safe which most resorts use these days. We had our tablet which fit in fine but I don't think that you could fit a laptop into it. Also this is the only Riu in Cancun that does not have a sports bar in it. But if you need to check out a game, there is one within a couple of minutes stroll next door in the Riu Cancun which you are allowed to use. Overall we really enjoyed it here and would return.
Tip.... If you need sunscreen, flip flops or band aids, walk across the street as everything is half the price you will pay in the gift shop.

• Stayed March 2013
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel is excellent! The staff are friendly and attentive and nothing is too much trouble. The food is fantastic in the buffet restaurant and there are themed restaurants to try as well ,which were also of a very high standard. The hotel is spotless being constantly cleaned by its army of staff. The Bar is stocked with branded spirits and every cocktail you require is served. We had an amazing stay at his hotel and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: A sea view is a must at this hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Rogers, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I spent a week here in mid-February and were very happy with the opportunities - to sit quietly on the upper sundeck, to interact wtih other couples at the jacuzzi or around the party pool (this is quieter than many other Cancun properties), to walk along the beaches, or down the street side to the shopping centers. Good sidewalks and safe crossing areas. The property also has representatives from excursion adventures near the entrance to the main bar. You choose to approach them or not - they do not bark at you when you walk by (as is common along any street). We chose a simple zip-line excursion - it was a blast, and very safe.
Of the five unique restaurants on the property we chose to make reservations at three of them - all easy to arrange each morning with the concierge. Each had unique character and good to great chefs. We really enjoyed the expansive buffet each day and most evenings as the selections always included many cheeses, fruits, breads, salads, seafood, meats, and daily themes at additional food counters. Standard 'American' fare - hamburgers, fries, etc., was available every day.
The service at the Riu was outstanding. The waiter/waitresses are always aware if your glass is almost empty regardless of where you are inside or outside. The maids and housekeeping accommodate special requests in your room minibar; our refrigerator had Dos Equis and we preferred Tecate, which they exchanged that same day. We usually kept a few 20 peso notes (about $1.60 US) on us to tip particularly good servers, but on days we forgot there was no change in their attentiveness. There were stage shows each night in the theater with professional dancers - very enjoyable. The shows always ended around 11pm with the offer of a free shuttle ride, guaranteed quick entrance and secure transportation if you like to party at a local bar (different bar each night).
We had a junior suite on the fifth floor (room 555) which was not listed as ocean-view, but we could see a large part of the beaches and ocean as well as the interior bay on the other side of the strip. We enjoyed sitting on our small balcony each evening with a cocktail to watch the sunset. The only issue we had was that the beds were extremely hard and by the end of the week we both had trouble sleeping, staying asleep, and had aching joints (not normal for us). The maid provided a couple of extra pillows when we asked, and she often left a 'towel animal' on our bed.
For being in the tropics on a sandy beach, the hotel was always clean and cool. Decor at Riu Palace was old-world style decorated with early renaissance art and tapestry recreations. The towering columns were covered in carved wood and there were beautiful chandeliers and a stained-glass feature on the ceiling. We visited a couple of other Rui properties and they each had different designs - one was modern, clean, chic and cold-appearing, another was 1950s Cuban-style with flamingo and palm designs everywhere. Staff at each property were all pleasant.
If we could negotiate a softer mattress or additional cushioning, we would definitely return!

Room Tip: West views with balcony are great for sunset cocktail hour!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Selected this resort based on Trip Advisor ratings. My boyfriend and I vacationed there for 4 nights in early March. We're both 25 yrs old.

Pros: LOCATION. This is one of the main reasons why we selected this hotel. You can walk to everything. We went to a few parties, Daddy O's, the City, Palazzio. Entrance fee is a little steep its a party for sure.

Rooms: Were cleaned everyday, and mini bar items restocked. We did not have a balcony, but we had an Ocean view which was spectacular. The TV has several English channels from Miami, the major networks so I could watch the Bachelor finale (hey it rained all day)

Cons and Special Notes:

Rooms: The rooms are quite dated, and the mattresses are VERY hard. The pillows were so thick my bf got a few kinks in his neck. We could open our window which was lovely.. until we heard the AC unit which honestly will scare you- it sounds like an explosion at first.

Food: I've been to many AI resorts and my honest opinion is the food was standard buffet. A wide selecting, I didn't quite feel comfortable enough to stuff myself with mussels and oysters (but to their credit, it was plentiful) and the smoked salmon looked wilted. I thought the drinks were so-so, they seemed to be a lot more syrup based than fruit. They couldn't make me a banana margarita (my favorite) but they always had Dos Equis and Presidents on tap (decent beer) and average wines. The restaurants might have been good- we couldn't get reservations to any of them except for the Japanese (which was NOT hibachi) and it was again- mediocre.

Excursions: If you are daring, I HIGHLY recommend what my bf and I did. We rented a car from the Hertz next door for $48 USD, and drove the 2.5 hours to Chitzen Itza (Mayan Ruins) Normally the buses charge you $92, and they make you stop for souvenirs and to buy lunch, but with a car, it really is a simple ride- straight down 180D, then we parked spent a few hours at the Ruins, stopped at a place in town for lunch, then went swimming it the Itkal Cenote before driving back. It's a long drive but you won't forget it- it's a 7th wonder of the world.

SPECIAL NOTE: The only negative to driving was that we were stopped by a Cancun police officer on the way back who said we ran a yellow light. I am of Germanic decent, with blonde hair/blue eyes and might have surprised him by responding in fluent Spanish that its not illegal to run a yellow light in Mexico. He then said we were speeding and that we would have to go to a police station, pay a 1,700 peso fine and fill out forms for 4 hours, but because he was feeling "nice" he would let us pay 600 pesos now, and forget about it. I was pretty annoyed seeing how we were being shaked down by obvious corruption, and thought about asking for his badge number to report him. When we returned the car to Hertz we told them what happened and they said NOT TO PUSH YOUR LUCK WITH THE COPS. If you aggravate them by asking for ID they will lie, and charge you with a crime, so it's just not worth it, pay them.

Playboy Casino: If you think you will walk out with more than you went in- the style, decor, games are all up to par. However, no free drinks and a $20 entrance fee. I have NEVER had to pay to get into a casino. Especially since I don't get free drinks. What if I didn't want to gamble? Not the point- just avoid this place. Hugh Hefner would not be proud.

Weather: This was probably the downfall of our trip- 2 out of 3 days it down poured and had wind that turned the palm trees nearly sideways. This isn't Riu's fault in any way- but it really hampers itinerary. The one thing I feel like I need to mention is that it felt rather cold. It was usually mid 70's, and the high was 80 but that wind coming off the Atlantic makes you freeze at the pool. We should have gone in May.

All in all- for what we paid, $120 night a person, I had a good time and I can justify the costs. However if you're budget is slightly higher, I would look into something newer. I won't stay here again and am not planning a trip back to Cancun anytime soon. I honestly wasn't a fan of the weather and the culture (aka mob of people trying to sell you things EVERYWHERE you go)

Just to say it- the BEST All Inclusive I have ever been to is the Iberostar Grand Bavaro in Punta Cana, DR. Best beaches, food, Hard Rock Casino right next door with free drinks and clubs :)

Room Tip: Pay for the Ocean view- I swear once you see it you will not care about the extra $20 a day.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was my first all inclusive hotel. We came with lots of ones. We treated our staff very well, and in turn they always made sure we had a drink in front of us. I can not wait to go back, this is one of the best vacations I have ever had!!! This hotel was great, clean. Loved the poolside bar. Great staff, very friendly. We were treated very well, great food! I plan to go back sooner than later

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas? Share your experiences!