“Beautiful hotel, excellent service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulcan, Km 8.5, Manzana 50 | Lote 4, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #19 of 173 Hotels in Cancun
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel, excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Every riu palace I have stayed at has been wonderful. Great service and food. We loved the ocean front suite with the separate living room and walk in wardrobe, worth the little extra you pay for the amazing view from the balcony.

1919
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
powder springs ga
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This was our 2nd RIU stay. The hotel was beautiful and clean - the staff was wonderful. Our room had a wonderful view. The bed was hard as a rock - We asked for a mattress pad which helped slightly. The drinks were good! The food was awful - we were so sick and tired of the same thing day in and day out. The specialty restaurants were not "special" - in fact, in our opinion, the buffet was better and that is not saying much. The choices never changed in the buffet for the entire 8 days. There is no entertainment at the hotel at all. We've stayed at approximately 25 AI hotels over the last 20 years and this was by far the most boring. The nightly entertainment was exactly like most AI's, but, during the day, there wasn't much to do at the hotel. The beach is small, but lovely and gets very crowded. The pool was extremely crowded where you were literally shoulder to shoulder with everyone else. Because of the high rise of the hotel, the sun is completely off the beach by 2:30 pm and the large pool directly outside the main lobby never got sun. The hotel itself is very pretty and nicely decorated. The junior suites were decent and the shower had good water pressure. This was the first hotel we've stayed in Cancun where the water wasn't potable in the room. The mini bar was refilled daily with water, sodas and beer. In the 8 days, we only received the turn down service one night. Our room was on the 4th floor and immediately upon exiting the elevator, a horrible mildew smell assaulted you. I always take a candle with me to make the air in the room fresh, but, the hallways with carpet were putrid. The mexican and italian restaurants were not even edible. The steak house was ok and the japaneese was not a hibachi grill as we've come to expect from AI's. We did not even try the Krystal. When we tried to make reservations on Wed. for Friday evening (which was my birthday), we were told that there was nothing available. Being that we were told we couldn't make reservations any further out than 2 days, we were not happy about this. When my husband spoke to the manager about this and it being my birthday, he got us a reservation at the steak house which was practically empty. They told him they would bring a cake which never happened either. The staff were exceptional - from the front desk to the beach waiters and the buffet waiters, everyone was willing to help with a smile. They definitely get an A for effort!

Room Tip: oceanview was definitely worth the upgrade!
Shawnee, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The Riu is an excellant choice when traveling. Excellant staff, great food, top notch accomodations. Very clean....and they went above and beyond to make our anniversary extra special. You can walk to the Hard Rock Cafe and other nightclubs if you so choose. Even a fully stocked bar in your room. Who can ask for more ???

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room - either side - get more balcony and more view for same price
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

RIU PALACE LAS AMERICAS REVIEW

My fifth stay at a Riu resort and my 4th stay at a Riu Palace. As a member of their Riu Class program and using past stay points I got a deal several months in advance that I never saw better from any other site – about $109 US pp for 8 nights. At that price this much better than average resort was an excellent value.

I started with tips for this resort because that should have the most valuable iformation to make a difference for you. As a Riu fan I liked this resort and most of my comments are typical. These tips are more likely to make the biggest difference for you on a trip to Riu palace Las Americas.

GETTING AROUND TIP – do make yourself get on their busses to get around – just hand them $1 pp per ride. Watch for a place to get off near where you want to go or ask the driver to let you know. There are buttons you push to signal you want off at the nest stop – stand up too to signal you want to get off, if the aisles are not packed.

BEACH/POOLS TIP – use that bus to use your Riu Palace wrist band to get all the same benefits and use of Riu Palace Peninsula – a 30 minute walk along the main drag or 5 minute bus ride – IF YOU WANT SUN, POOLS BEACH and HUGE amounts of uncrowded space PLUS better fitness activities. If you want to view other resorts too – your palalce wrist band allows you full access to Riu Cancun next to Las Americas and Riu Caribe, next to Riu Peninsula. My wife and I split our resort days between the Las Mericas and Peninsula. If you are not a total sun nut, like us, you may like one or both, but Las Americas and Riu Cancun next door to Las Americas do unfortunately have tall buildings with a poor orientation. At Las Americas the sun only hits most of the beach and pool area for maybe 4 hours and then you have to “chase” the few spots where the sun comes through. Las Amercias mostly has enough loungers and space but some chair saving goes on for a few spots. My wife and I always found what we wanted and plenty of available loungers but not always in the sun or near the activities pool. Riu Palace Peninsula has huge grounds in the sun most of the day plus plenty of shade umbrellas and structures – I mostly sat in the shade – my wife would move next to me in the sun when she got cool – always plenty of shade and sun available and with 885 loungers spread around huge grounds you have plenty of space and it never seems crowded at Riu Peninsula, plus you pick of the type of sunny area – by the activities pool or quiet pool or amphitheatre of sandy beach or along the extensive strip of coral with ocean access and you can always find front row space and views. Riu Peninsula also has a new fitness program – Riu fit available only there or at a Riu in Europe run by medical doctor and fitness fan – go join in a few of his programs early in the day before settling down to drinks and eating. My wife and I liked both Las Americas and Peninsula but Peninsula wins for me around the pool and beach - and probably you if you are more into sunning and a huge un-crowded area of pools and beach – plus Peninsula has an extra plus for fitness fans. Try Peninsula out early in your trip – I am pretty sure you will go back.

ADULT FUN TOUR TIP – again it is best to use the bus. If you want to try an adult only, topless resort and have a day tour at a relatively low price compared to other Cancun tours – got to Temptations Cancun. Day Passes are $65 US pp and I think that runs from 8 AM and it did finish at 6 PM – an evening pass is $95 US pp for dinner and their shows and entertainment. We had family and friends there and went from about 11 AM – 6 PM. We used their kayaks and also a catamaran. One down side is the main pool loungers get all filled up and busy and chair reserving goes on a lot so get there as early as possible, it is a bit busy an crowded in the main pool – but that’s where you get to enjoy watching and participating in the topless and activities that make it unique. For us the lunch food was more towards average Mexican buffet, the rooms were small but recently refreshed and modern decorated. The fitness center was typical – some free weights and aerobic machines with a great floor to ceiling glass view over the quiet pool area. I don’t think anyone would ever complain about weak drinks here – 4 or 5 of our afternoon variety of drinks, were too strong for me – the alcohol overpowered the drink flavor. Most other tours my wife and I looked at were $100 US or more pp for 4-8 hours. This was a fun “tour” at a low cost with decent food, great drinks and a chance to “see” what that kind of resort is all about – mostly topless women and drunk people engaging in activities and socializing around their activities pool.

I do like Riu resorts and had high expectations for this stay that were exceeded by getting a free upgrade to a room with an extra large balcony and center view of the resort and ocean. The food also put this Riu past my expectations, mainly in the main buffet, which serves far above the usual Cancun and Mexico buffet fare. For example – there were always 2 or 3 shrimp dishes at dinner. Several times there were not one, not two, but three huge bowls of large peel and eat shrimp – I have never seen such an outpouring of shrimp and seafood anywhere in a buffet. Another seafood favorite was a seafood rice preparation and a seafood soup – both well loaded with not only shrimp but clams on the shell and crab claws(yes in the soup too). Always plentiful varieties of fish, such as salmon, cold or well cooked and prepared. Maple nut ice cream. Champagne breakfasts. Always a selection of excellent not-normally-to-be-found in Mexico beef – such as New York, and rib eye cut from the shank for you – beautifully browned turkey and chickens. Wonderful smoothies of at least 6 varieties for breakfast. The food was better than expected.

The rooms are large and well furnished, with a roomy sitting area, flat screen tv with over 50 channels, double sinks in the bathroom, plenty of storage space and a balcony. Tile used throughout the resort was spotless, shiny and very clean all the time, even in the public rest rooms.

Drinks – pretty much anything you want or ask for, and if you want them strong just ask for double or triple. Cappuccino and espresso available as well as coffee and a big selection of teas. I liked what they called vanilla cappuccino. I sampled lots of different drinks, but my favorite - beer - was also a treat because the resort also had the hard-to-find at all-inclusives – Dos Equis Amber and Bohemian Dark. Many resorts and places in Mexico and the Caribbean do not offer any dark or amber beers.

The Riu Palaces are not wild and loud and over the top on pool entertainment, so if you like the non-stop, activities people and endless games and loudspeaker banter by a pool – Riu Palaces are not for you. They do have activities and nice modern popular music but mostly it is not blaring and overpowering and the activities center on pool aerobics, volley ball and just a few of the “antics” type activities so far as I could tell – we didn’t hang out in that area – warning – that area at Las Americas does get overcrowded and might require “chair saving” to get the spot you want.

Night entertainment starts too late for us around 9-9:30 PM, but looked typical for the area – a Mexican Show, one night a show based on “Grease”, a rock n roll show. The lounge was in a separate wing from our room, and at least for us, we never heard it or were bothered by night activities.

An excellent value for the price I got and slightly above my already high expectations.

Room Tip: It looks like most rooms have balconies, but on the small side. The third floor of the main building...
Nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Take it from somebody that can always find something to moan about - an absolutely faultless stay!! From the minute we entered the lobby we were impressed, our check in was very prompt, the lady at the desk was very friendly and indeed upgraded our room to a seaview! The room was spacious (the beds were huge and very comfortable), contained branded drinks in the optic alongside a fully stocked fridge,it had a breathtaking view and was very well maintained. Yes possibly a slight musky smell but anything to make a difference to our stay -no! Wherever you were you were in the hotel you were asked if you wanted a drink, the food was great - good variety and the Ala carte restaurants were also very good - occasionally if you haven't booked you can turn up 10 minutes later than the seating time and if somebody hasn't turnd up they will try and get you in - we did this one night! The pool was great, entertainment was plenty, slight downfall is the beach it is only a small stretch however with your gold wristband you are able to use facilities of the other hotels and if you walk along the beach the Riu cancun is next door with a longer stretch of beach. The cocktails in the evening by the bar are also very good and well presented! The nightlife is just a 10 minute walk away which is very convenient. Overall a wonderful stay, cannot fault it and would recommend anybody to go!!

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview room - if there is one available they will do their best to accommodate!!
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This is our second visit to this hotel.
The food is excellent with a good variety for all three meals of the day.
The staff is friendly and very helpful in all situations.
And because it is an 'all inclusive' you have the opportunity to mingle with other guests at different meal sessions.
The hotel is close to downtown in one direction and close to the hotel zone shopping in the other direction.

Belleville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I just got back home from the Riu.Everything about this resort was fantastic !We have been to many other resorts in and around Cancun in the past but this place beats them all .The staff was 1st class and worked very hard.For the few people that wrote not so flatering reviews about this resort ,your noses must be too far up in the air to see how nice this place is.Also the amount of people that do not tip these hard working people was very sad.We will definantly be back! Thanks to all

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas? Share your experiences!