“Nice stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Cancun

You added Hotel Riu Cancun to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Cancun
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan, Km 9, Manzana 50, Lote 5, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #26 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Nice stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This was my first trip to Mexico. The Riu is a nice place, very clean, helpful staff and good food. The beach was great and they had plenty of loungers, we never had a problem finding one. The only thing I didn't like was about the room. There's a frosted window in the shower of the bathroom that you can see shadows through. It's weird. The other is that the walls are paper thin. There are something's I don't want to hear from my neighbors room!
Over all this is an updated, clean and comfortable place to stay!

• Stayed December 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
  • Polish first
Blackpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This hotel was superb. We had two weeks from Nov 26th 2014. There is a free bar in the bedroom with Vodka,Rum,Tequilla and whisky on optic.Fridge is full of soft drinks ,beer and water. Re stocked every two days. Large queen sized bed, shower room two basins and loads of towels. We had room 902 which was very quiet.
PLEASE PUT KETTLE IN ROOM TO MAKE A BREW. (take your own till they do) You can get a brew from the sports bar 24/7 but it means walking through the hotel and outside to get one.
Food was awesome in the main buffet. lots of choice and as much as you can eat. Not all Mexican. Three speciality restaurants were ok with Italian the best one. You can visit these as many times as you want just have tom book in advance with customer services -no extra charge.
All the staff were brilliant. Even the cleaners greeted you as you passed them. They smiled and looked genuinely happy to be at work. Hotel was spotless. Always someone cleaning.
Only down side is that the sun went off the sunbeds by the pool at 2.30p.m. Beach is narrow here too so you have to get up very early(6.30-7) to get a bed in the sun.
There were no loud drunken big groups when we stayed.
Entertainment all day by the pool and on the beach and a show every evening. El divo group really good.
Location is just 5 min walk to cancun strip and Coco Bongo nightclub which is a must. The show is out of this world. (we are in our early sixties and we loved it)
Thompson reps available in hotel every day. Great.
You can use local busses which pass hotel every few minutes to get round One fare of 10 pesos. Riu Caribe is 10mins away and you can use their facilities with your wristband. Worth a visit-its got a bigger beach.
We would thoroughly recommend this hotel and holiday.
Lynda and John from Blackpool england

Room Tip: High floor End of corridor away from the lifts
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Review RIU cancun (stayed there after renewal, on December 2014)

This is my 12th day in the hotel ( on a total of 14) and I am writing from the pool, listening to the beach waves
I will rate each service with exceptional, good, needs improvement and bad

Reception - needs improvement - we had 2 contacts with the reception: check in and buy internet. Check in was ok.
But we bought internet with a member of staff (Damien) that was definitely not in a good day. He was unkind, and blaming previous colleague to have done things wrong (not common to do that in front of customer), and distracted while attending us.

Bedrooms - good - basic decoration (Spanish beach humble hotel look). We have upgraded for a sea view bedroom. Good daily cleaning, but cleaning was done late (2, 3pm, when the sun finished, and we were back to the room)

Food (buffet)- exceptional - plenty of variety. You will never get bored. 10 different food islands, for Italian (with fresh pasta on demand, with ingredients choosed by you - we just found it on the day#12) Mexican, Japanese and Chinese, veggie, soups, salads, fish, meat, fruit and deserts. Even shell chocolate, fondue and ice cream bar is available. Impressive!

Different varieties at lunch (beach menus such as hot dogs, burgers, croque Monsieur, etc), and dinner (even caviar and crab they had one night!). Each night has a different theme.
Desserts deserve improvement (and are not identified - you don't know what you ate eating) and fruit (not that sweet, for a tropical place).

Food (theme restaurants) - Not enough data to rate - Have been once in 1 thematic restaurant (steak house), but the buffet is more complete and better. Never been in the restaurant 2 (Italian)

Restaurant service - good to exceptional - great sea view and sea music from the terrace, where we had dinner every night. waitresses job is to serve you the beverages and change pyou the dirty dishes. The exceptional waitresses we have had the chance to meet are Miguel, Alain (dinner). Also a well done to delfino and imer (breakfast).

Indoor Entertainment - good - entertainers are really overwhelming and try to integrate you and make you feel good all the time. You feel like you are part of a big family. Well done for Joey which was very lovely, attentive and caring. No wonder that are tourists that come to the hotel every year.

Outdoor entertainment (Scuba Caribe company) - very good - cancun is plenty of companies which aggressively try to sell you all type of programs. Scuba Caribe is the official Riu's company, that is next to the pool. Great representative (Jonathan) approached us in a kindly informal conversation. We end up buying a couple of great experiences. As nature/animal lovers we are, we took discovery dolphins and jungle tour as recommended by Jonathan. It was amazing!

I would recommend Scuba Caribe to work on customer attractive packs (eg: 3 for 2), and costumer focus (eg: nature fan pack; adventure pack; history lovers pack, etc). That would bring added value for clients.

Pools - needs improvement - 3 good pools (1 bar pool, 1 entertainment pool and 1 infinity pool). Doesn't deserve a good because as the hotel is so high, 100% of the pool area doesn't have sun from 2:30. So, all chairs are on shadow from that hour. The "golden area" (which has the sun until 2:30) is composed by 6 chairs, and often is busy before to 6am (I used to get up at 4 or 5am to reserve the top 2 chairs, on the corner of the infinity pool).

Also not good because infinity pool (supposed to be relaxing) is used for a lot of activities: scuba training in the morning and child activities during the day.

Pool services - good to exceptional - the pools are served with regular visits from the waitresses with beverages and refreshments. The rate depends on who is serving you. The exceptional goes to Yiyio, which is an amazing database, and remember all customers preferences. Great frequency of visits. Try to avoid non local alcohol. My husband got sick with caipirinha due to very cheap cachaça.

Service #2 - towels - exceptional - fresh washed towels all the time, as much as you like. Nice staff on the towels, too!

Pool bathrooms - bad - uncleaned wc and really bad smell. Disgusting. I tried to use the pool wc on 18/12/2014 by 2:00, and 3 out of 5 bathrooms were completely unusable due to dirtiness

Beach - good - white sandy soft beach. Chairs for everyone. Regular visits for drinks. Same problem for sun lovers: no sun after 2:30 (lucky 10 chairs have sun until 3:00)

Hotel location - exceptional - very good zone. Supermarket is right next to you, plenty of stores, right in front of a shopping mall (plaza caracol), and buses to everywhere.

Spa - needs improvement - I have done manicure service. Need to pay in advance (uncommon for an hotel) SPA Ladies could be friendlier and suggest best solutions for customer (removed all my shellac polish, when best solution was arrange 2 damaged nails ...)

Details
- lifts work bad. Few lifts for such a big hotel. Always busy. It takes long to take a lift. Also same lifts used by hotel porter. Often you have to share with porter a lots of bags
- useful clothes hanger on the bedroom terrace
- not strong shower water pressure
- shower waters smells a lot like sulfur (not great)
- free wifi 1:30 per day only on the lobby. I have paid for two 1-week packs, and it worked great on the whole hotel

Room Tip: Rooms next to the lift. Recommend senior people to stay on low floors, as lifts dont work good, and...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I stayed here 12 months previous and the hotel was traditional, staff very friendly and obliging. It's in a fabulous location for shopping and nightlife. Now the newly refurbed riu cancun is very modern and been done to a fantastic standard. Staff very friendly and the food in the restaurants is fantastic and the chef is very obliging as I am celiacs and the chef made me some gluten free pasta. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2014
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I have just got back from my holiday at this hotel (11 Dec-19Dec) . I don't know where to start.. WOW. I had a fantastic time and I have made some lovely memories!

We arrived at the hotel and first impressions were great. Reception staff greeted us with cocktails and there were staff everywhere cleaning!! We were quickly checked-in and shown to our room. The rooms are absolutely brill! Pink and grey décor. They have just been updated and they are very clean and modern. Lots of space and cupboards. Best bit was the mini-bar and fridge that was filled up every 2 days with beers, fizzy drinks, vodka, whisky etc!

Restaurants: We mainly ate in the main buffet. You had to book the other restaurants a couple of days in advance if you wanted to eat somewhere different. We didn't feel the need to go into the speciality restaurants as the main buffet was exquisite ! There was fresh meat, fish, pizzas, sushi and Mexican food being cooked in front of you at lunch and dinner! There was always a variety of food and never got bored!!
Breakfast was amazing too ... so much choice! You could choose from fruit, cereals, full breakfast, Mexican food, toasted sandwiches, homemade waffles, doughnuts, porridge.. the list is endless! Staff in the restaurants are so friendly and always willing to bring you anything you need!

PS - if you want to have a romantic dinner on the beach you can pay 100 dollars and have the perfect evening with your boyfriend/girlfriend.

Main pool: Main area was lively throughout the day! Entertainment team made a real effort to make you have a good time. Lots of entertainment/games around the main pool. Only down side was that the hotel is quite tall and after about 2pm the majority of the poolside was in the shade. HOWEVER, if you took a 2sec stroll to the private beach you'd get sun there until around 4pm! Always empty chairs so you didn't need to reserve seats there in the morning. There was a pool party on one occasion and bar staff handed out Coco Locos in carved coconuts on another day! Some days there was also a BBQ where fish,meat and tacos were cooked by the pool for lunch! LOVELY!

Drinks/Bars in hotel: The list of cocktails you can have in this hotel is endless!! The staff even make ones that are not on the list for you. They are all so lovely and come round to you throughout the day whilst you are sunbathing to hand you drinks..TOP SERVICE. They even bring drinks to you on the beach!

Evening entertainment: Entertainment was really good and staff put a lot of effort into it! Very varied and entertaining. The staff were excellent and daily went to a nightclub on the strip (5 mins away from the hotel) with you. For £35 pp (the price to enter all nightclubs on the strip) you got a mini bus to the club with people from Riu Cancun and you got a VIP area allocated to the hotel. Its an open bar and is an amazing night out! Recommend going to Coco Bongos and Senor Frogs on a Sunday night as they have a paint party! Animation team stay with you until around 2am and then leave. You have to walk home but is literally a 2 mins walk so is very safe.

FREE water activities: When at the hotel you can have a free scuba diving demo in the pool, use the snorkelling equipment at the beach, go kayaking in the sea and use one of the catamarans! It is free but you have to pay a few dollars per person tax to the government as the sea is a protected area. Once you have paid you get a wrist band and can use the equipment as much as you want!! BRILLIANT

Internet : people have moaned on here about the wifi being rubbish... it isn't! You get 1.5 hours a day which is loads!! You are on holiday. You do not need to spend your time on the internet. You're meant to be enjoying yourself and getting away.

OVERALL : I want to return already to share the experience I had with others! The pictures on websites such as Thomson have not been updated since the refurb and do not to do the hotel justice. Apparently £38m was spent on the refurb..! Will defo be going back to this place!
IGNORE ALL NEGATIVE REVIEWS

Room Tip: The higher the room level, the bigger and better view you'll have
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Kingsport, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

46 yr old male traveled solo for the first time since losing my wife to cancer so I was a bit apprehensive about whether I would enjoy it or not. The answer to that is a resounding yes. Hotel was beautiful and has a beautiful beach and good entry(no rocks) to get into the ocean as well as nice pools. I love to eat and thought the buffet as well as the other restaurants were good. What makes this place is the people. If your looking for a place where people are looking to have a good time then dont hesitate. I met so many great people from Canada and Britian that I never felt alone and partied all week with them even though I was older than most. The location is great for some of the good clubs and I would recommend going with the staff from the hotel, you will have a blast. Coco Bongos puts on a great show as well as a good place to dance, I had a blast and I"m not even that big of a dancer but I sure did that night. I am a workout freak and cant stand not to exercise so I used the gym everyday. Its not that big but it is sufficient to get a good workout in while on a vacation. All in all, I loved this place. Hated to leave the people I met and as I was flying home all I could think about was going back next December. If there is one negative, it would be the size of the hotel and how it shades some of the pools. The get shade pretty early in the day, even the swim up bar but theres sun most of the day in some spots around the pool and all day on the beach so that wasnt that big of a deal to me.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Courtright, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We traveled to Riu Cancun Nov 5-12, 2014. The weather was perfect!

This hotel was fantastic! The entire staff - bartenders, maids, entertainment team & everyone in the restaurants made our trip relaxing and fun. The food was amazing - lots of variety and so many options at every meal. Usually I stick to pasta, chicken and rice but I felt comfortable trying different kinds of fish, meat, veggies and fresh fruit. All of it was amazing. The A La Carte dinners were good, although nothing over the top amazing- the buffet was every bit as good.

The bars were amazing and had very fast service. They made whatever we asked them to, or surprised us with yummy drinks when we couldn't decide. They had premium booze too and we asked for Captain Morgan a lot - Abel knew us and had no problem giving us the good stuff.

The biggest con is that people can smoke wherever and whenever they want (except for restaurants). People would smoke in the pool, during the shows, right at the bar.... we could never escape it.

The building wasn't built very strategically- the sun would hide behind the hotel at about 3:00 if you were in the pools. If you got a seat on the beach, you had sun until later, but you need to be down there to save a chair fairly early. The sun, however, was scolding hot at 7am.. so we definitely got a full days worth of sunshine staying by the pool.
The beach is pretty small. There are three huge pools- the one with the swim-up bar had built in tables which came in so handy, we loved those!

There were people constantly cleaning everything - around the pool, raking the beach, the hallways, the bars... everywhere! It was the cleanest resort I have ever been to. Our room was exquisite.. brand new everything. The bathroom was big and had two sinks, huge shower, plenty of space for two girls to get ready at the same time. Mini bar (beer, water, pop & booze) big TV, big dresser and night tables.

Riu Cancun is within walking distance to clubs like CoCo Bongo, Dady O's, Mandala Beach, Senor Frogs... all of them are SO much fun. Definitely worth the money you pay for "cover". Cabs are expensive... we walked everywhere. The hotel's entertainment team, however, has a shuttle that goes to different bars every night- we didn't find this out until after we bought all of our bar tickets.

You could get free WiFi in the lobby, but had to pay 50$ for the week if you wanted it everywhere.

All in all, it was an amazing vacation and I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Cancun? Share your experiences!