“Amazing Stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Cancun

You added Hotel Riu Cancun to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Cancun
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan, Km 9, Manzana 50, Lote 5, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Edmonton, Canada
“Amazing Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

This was my third trip to Cancun and I have stayed at two other hotels that were great but this one takes the cake! We stayed from January 19th to the 25th and the hotel was right in the middle of the hotel zone, so it was easy to wonder to the malls, flee markets and nightlife. The hotel was very clean and the hospitality was great. We had an ocean view room that was beautiful and it was quiet as we slept with the patio door open every night. The food was really good especially on Spanish night! The waiters were very friendly and staff greeted you everywhere. The beach was kind of spilt into to ends of the hotel shore line, one end had a ton of large rocks and coral with sand and some swimming areas and the other end was soft sand but there was plenty of room for people to sunbathe, play volleyball, swim and walk along the beach. The pools looked very well maintained but we never managed to make it into the pools as we swam in the ocean everyday instead. The sports bar was amazing! Be sure to visit Angelito as he was the best bartender and made our drinks to perfection!!! He is the Kindest person to have conversations with as well! The nightly entertainment was pretty good and the disco had a great selection of music. The excursions we booked from the hotel to Chichen-Itza and Xel-ha were amazing and the service was great as well. The Wi-Fi was a little weird as you had 90 minutes a day which is plenty BUT you basically had to use it in one session so if you couldn't get through to whomever you would have to wait and try the next day. Overall this hotel was amazing and we definitely plan to go back!!!

Room Tip: Stayed on the 4th Floor ocean view side and slept with the patio door open every night! No noise co...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (888)
  • Polish first
Commerce, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

What can say. We have stayed here 5 or 6 times now and every time it is excellent.
From the moment you enter the lobby you are treated well. The rooms are ok. The food is plentiful and of good quality.
My only negative is the specialty restaurants. They are really not worth the hassle of getting a reservation. Almost everyone who was in the restaurant with us went to the buffet afterwards like we did.

• Stayed December 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Riu Cancun is bang smack in the middle of everything you will ever need, but dont forget to plan your budget well. With so much to do and see your going to need lots of spending money. Most trips and adventures will cost around £40-£60 per person, but when you consider this is nearly always including your food and rink then it really is pretty cheap for what you get. Everyone will go out of their way to ensure the trips are great fun and enjoyable. (Tip1) Everyone will take your photo for you, but it will sot you on average around £40 to but them... be prepared or take your own cameras.
Do not take the trip reps word for everything, go explore and see some of the other agents offering trips, you can often save enough to pay for a few more if you use the outside agents and they will happily barter with you. The Jungle trip with self drive boats a must, the night out at Cogo Bongo definatley well worth the vip price of around £80 -£90 per person, you will never forget that night. Do the ferry trip to the island of women, but do not take the buggy from the guys onboard, barter one as soon you get onto the island, youll pay around 450 pasos for the whole day and its worth it, you can see the whole island and anyone can drive, so its fun for all. This is also where youll see turtle farm and the dolphin experience, alongside the shark pool if you look close enough and dont drive to fast. The cata tour is pretty cool and lots of fun, so get your adventure head on and do go sail flying, its a hoot.
So once you have gone to myan temples and pyramids and done all the fun stuff, take some long walks along the only main raod around cancun and go into downtown. There you can see the matador arena which is seasonal and only open up to end of Nov or there about, and you can use the the Riu complex just after the Riu Palace and the Rou complexe in playa whihc is a 15min scooter ride down the coast and well worth the visits. Lots of great little shopping markets, rental scooters and cars and jet ski fun to be had in Mexico, so go Mexico

Room Tip: 13th floor upwards have great scenic views
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Jersey, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

We arrived at the hotel (after being delayed) in the evening We thought first impressions to be quite good, This was short lived as we where woken up in the night with people slamming doors and people playing loud music the arguing( though drink) this was in room next to use. which we had to complain about to our Thomson rep (the lowest rating we can give on noise is one or it would be lower}. We where on the second floor only to find out when we woke up to find the balcony had a concrete wall to the front of it which took away a lot of the view.(if you where short you had to stand on a chair to see the pool down below). Don't get a room by the ice machine as it is very noise. I must say our room was kept clean we had a good maid. The food was fine for the first few days but it was the same thing day after day.I must say that two of the staff( Alexis and willy) in the bar near the reception where very good they looked after us every time we used the bar. If you like the sun get up early as the sun disappears round 3 because the beach is very small. We did the Dolphin trip on the island we where told we would have a guide but we did'nt get one ,we did'nt know WHAT was happening .Where told food and drinks where included but had to find this out for our selves it was chaos ,we found that all they where interested in was selling us photo's with the dolphins. IF we did go back to mexico it would be to a different hotel....sorry Rui cancun

Room Tip: Get a room above the 6th floor we found out on the last day they are not as noise Don't get room...
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I don't know how people can give a bad review because another guest slammed the door yes they are very heavy and very secure as they should be. Also people are upset because some of the help does not speak english shame on you YOU ARE IN MEXICO DUMMYS some tourist should indeed stay home. The service waiters lobby bar service, maids were the nicest I have ever had in a hotel always asking is everything ok? Such a nice group of workers ready to help in any way. The resort is great beautiful in every way plenty of sun great food clean clean lovely room. Very safe hotel strangers are not allowed to wander in --they run a tight ship I guess also spring breakers are allowed but cant misbehave. Felt so relaxed everything taken care for us --food very good drinks whenever all day all night nice music very very beautiful lobby and grounds. Riu Cancun hope to see you again and thanks for everything!

Room Tip: big building is 14 floor or side annex is only 6 floors both nice
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

As a surprise trip for my birthday, we stayed at the Riu Cancun which was amazing from the instance we walked through the door. The service of staff was consistent and friendly and both of the tour operators were there every day. The food was delicious, from traditional Mexican and continental. Plenty of choice for both vegetarians and non veg. The rooms were clean and modern and the views from every room was of the sea. The hotel had an authentic aspect to it which I hope they do not change too much as they refurbish like the Caribe. Would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone who wants a good time with family or to just party all the time. The access to bars and clubs were a two minute walk and a shopping centre across the road, Definitely going back again one of my best holidays!

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

First of all let me start of with informing yourselves that I attended this hotel last year summer, I've taken my time writing a review on this hotel as I didn't want my bitterness of what I experienced to completely effect my overall rating.

Location: The location of the hotel is a short walk away from the strip, so not bad at all. The hotel is situated by the beach, it's okay wouldn't say it was terrible.

Room 212: It can be damp, the room was very outdated, 'apparently' it's been refurbished. Not that it would make a huge difference on their service nor their staff.

Food: If you're use to food that actually tastes good at some extent of quality DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL. The breakfast is all fried, which is disgusting all processed; deep fried bacon, sausage, hash browns, etc. Cereal is actually like the most basic cereal I have ever tasted. Lunch still the same like every other day, DRY chicken, chips, the only thing that I could eat was the sandwiches at lunchtime. Dinner the same crap, dry chicken, steak that you could chew for a week, and the most nastiest Paella I'd ever tasted.

Atercation with the staff.

Last day I noticed that my bikini had been taken. I was adamant that it had been taken by the maids, I went to the front desk where I burst into tears explaining what happened. The item was of great value and it showed. I was told that it would take a whole day to find the item, I explained that I was due to depart from the hotel the very next morning, they didn't care. Shaken up by the incident my boyfriend contacted Thomson reps, and he informed us that there was no way I would be getting it back. Angered by the whole situation I demanded to speak to the hotel manager, and various front desk staff 'pretended' to be the manager in which a massive confrontation was held between the employee and I. In the end the hotel manager came and calmly explained to me that maybe the maid 'took' the bikini by accident whilst collecting the bed sheets. It took them 10 hours to do an investigation and also to check the 'laundry' room. During their 'investigation period' I informed them that I had gone down the the police station and given a statement. An hour later my bikini was found in the laundry room.

Overall I'm sure the maid knew I was leaving soon and thought she'd give it a try. If you had by accident taken an item from a customers room would you not let front desk know to have a heads up? I had spoken to various people in the hotel in which they informed me that their sons, mobile phones had been stolen and medication had been stolen from another young group of girls room.

Overall I'd say be careful if you ever decide to visit this hotel, and make sure you get insurance and keep receipts of any valuables taken with you on holiday, because this hotel is full of thieves.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Cancun? Share your experiences!