“I have had better experiences in other Riu’s properties” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Cancun

You added Hotel Riu Cancun to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Cancun
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan, Km 9, Manzana 50, Lote 5, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #26 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Alexandria, Virginia
“I have had better experiences in other Riu’s properties”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

After arriving to the hotel I did not see any staff available to greet or welcome the guests at the front door, (maybe it was a busy moment). I went by myself to the front desk and had to wait about 10 minutes to be served (no long line, nobody waiting in front of me). Finally I asked for check in and was told that my reservation was not found, it took a while to find my reservation. Then I was asked to pay the full stay in advance, overall the check-in process were too slow and unpleasant. After check-in, I couldn’t find assistance for carrying my bags to the room, so I did it by myself. The room was a little bit dated, but everything clean and tidy. The Housekeeping boy did a great job for maintaining the rooms in order every day, the mini bar and liquor dispenser were refilled regularly, and the spacious bathroom was impeccable. I had a room on the 13th floor, the view from the room was superb. The hotel’s location is one of the best in the Cancun Hotel’s zone, it is walking distance to the flea market, shopping centers, and the best clubs and discos in Cancun, you can walk around and find everything you need, but if you need to go beyond you can use the reliable and affordable bus system (one bus stop is just on the sidewalk of Riu Cancun). The all-inclusive buffet was decent with plenty of food for self-service and different options for all tastes. This hotel has several specialty restaurants for dinner, but I was fine having my buffet dinners. The bars have a varied selection of good cocktails, sometimes cocktail are served with low alcohol, but you can ask for more alcohol if you prefer a strong drink, bartenders are especially nice and friendly. “wet and drinking” pool bar area (three pools around) is the place for fun in the afternoon, but there is a quiet pool with Jacuzzis if you need a quieter atmosphere. The gym is really tiny (4 treadmill, one of them was out of service), you are lucky if you could find one treadmill available. The entertainment staff runs the extra mile to keep the guests (including kids) happy, my recognition to them. In general, the staff is always trying to make it the best vacation they can for you. Apart from a couple of minor issues, there really wasn’t anything to complaint about. You have to know that this is not the best Riu in Cancun, and it is far from other five stars resorts, do not expect a top luxury hotel, but you can get a very good value for the money you pay at Riu Cancun. I have had better experiences in other Riu’s properties, but this resort could be enjoyable for every kind of trip you could have, I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view, but top floors have a superb view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
  • Polish first
Waterloo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I know has been 7 yrs this past June, but am new to this site! We really like this resort. They provided shopping from the locals at night. Loved the beaches and pools. The buffets are still the best we have had on any vacations. They were awesome and so much to choose from and the ice sculptures unreal with a theme each night! They also had a special lunch buffet area sorta open to outside and the selection unreal, just walk in with your bathing suites on. The rooms were really nice. The wait staff was so pleasant and even remember where you sat each night and seated you in same area and went out of their way to please you and visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Eccleshall, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We have just returned from two fabulous weeks at this hotel. Like many of the previous reviews we agree it is a great hotel that offers good food, drinks, sand and sea. The staff are excellent, very friendly people who went out of their way to look after us. Previous reviews commented on the over noisy swim up bar. Whilst it was full of mostly younger people there was no trouble of any kind, just boisterous fun. We sat around the quiet pool and so nothing bothered at all. As to the 'loud Americans' we can confirm that us Brits can hold our own in the field. All in all it was a fun holiday and the only advise we would give future guests is that the Isla Mujeres was a bit of a let down. there is a nice part but the rest was pretty run down and oldy worldy with loads of shops with owners that wanted to be our best friends.. The best bit was the trip over and back on the ferry and only about £15.00. Still it was a day out of the hotel. The bus service was excellent and very cheap at 8.5 pesos (40 pence) to go anywhere and they were very frequent. We did a round tour of the local sites and it was well worth the money. Taxis are also very reasonable.

All in all a fab time and for the first time ever, we never heard anybody complain about the hotel, the food, the drinks etc. Definitely worth another visit.

Room Tip: Email the hotel in advance and ask them to accommodate your wishes. we did and they gave a high floo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

I've just returned from a 2 week stay at the Riu Cancun & had a fantastic time, I only had a couple of complaints, the 1st one being that there are only 4 lifts for a really big hotel & the sports bar is a bit dark & dingy & in need of an overhaul. Now for the positives, the rooms are big & clean & pretty typical of hotel rooms in the caribbean, ours was cleaned daily & our mini bar & optics were topped up every other day, we had a beautiful view of the beach. The lobby is lovely & you get 90 minutes free wifi here daily. There are 4 pools, all of which are kept spotlessly clean & staff come round constantly to see if you would like a drink by the pool. There are 3 speciality restaurants, a steak house, a Brazilian & a Japanese, the food & service at all 3 was amazing, especially the steak house where my steak came cooked perfectly. I went on a tour of the hotel kitchens & everything is prepared & cooked fresh daily, they even grind their own coffee fresh onsite. The buffet restaurant is great, there's loads of choice & theme nights, although breakfast gets a bit repetitive. The staff are wonderful, really friendly & attentive, whether you tipped or not. The beach is lovely & is well maintained by the hotel & although there isn't a beach bar, staff do come down to bring you drinks. The pool games are good fun but you don't get hassled to play if you dont want to. The hotel is in a great location, close to a lot of clubs & bars, within walking distance of coco bongo, señor frog etc. All in all it's a brilliant place to stay & I'd highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned home from a 2 week stay at the riu cancun and I have mixed feelings about it.

lets start with the hotel it's self,
the hotel is very dated as said in previous reviews, however that was not a problem for us as it was a lovely place! it's so big.

the hotel was very clean as where the rooms, everyday all day there are constantly staff around the hotel cleaning, and keeping it maintained. our room was also spotless, the cleaner was here everyday cleaning it.

the food. we tried all 3 of the speciality restaurants and for us the steak house was the only one we enjoyed!
the Japanese was set out lovely and the service was fantastic however the food was horrible! we are not massive fans of Japanese food so maybe others who are might find it better.

the brazillian! absolutely disgusting from start to finish, the meat was barely warm and was scraps of horrible parts of meat, I wouldn't let my dog eat the meat from there! very disappointing.

the steakhouse was gorgeous, from the starter to the desert it wa amaing food, excellent service!

the buffet was nice some nights and not so nice other nights, a lot of the food is deep fried or cooked from frozen, there's not allot of fresh food.

the bars! the staff were generally lovely and happy to serve you however the sports bar staff and the pool bar staff were sometimes a little unwelcoming, probably because that's were most people are in groups and are very loud and obnoxious but still it is there job to serve.

the cocktails have very little alcohol in and sometimes none. on a few occasions I took my drink back to te bar and asked for more alcohol in it and I could still barely taste it, I think it's watered down.

the pools are very clean and tidy! the pool bar and wet n wild are the 2 busiest pools and our least favourite ones as that's were all te young groups of lads and girls go and they are very loud and obnoxious.

the hotel overall is nice but due to some of the things here I would not stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
derbyshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

just got back from riu Cancun had absolutely great holiday every member of staff very helpful and very welcoming my husband and i have been all over the world and stayed in many hotels but this hotel was very good the food in the hotel was out of this world my husband is a very fussy eater but even he said the food was good must praise Jesus in entertainment bar he looked after us so well but he does so with all his customers my glass was never empty if you go to cancun you must go yo coco bongo what a fab night well worth the money and we walked back to the hotel with no problem just one word of warning about round the pool though on our second day we had one of our towels taken from one of our sunbeds but i just went and explained to the towel attendants and they gave me another one but this does seem to be some kind of problem at the hotel as we heard other stories as well as ours overall though had a great time

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My partner and I travelled to the Riu Cancun November 2012 and LOVED it! It had absolutely everything we wanted for our first trip to Cancun - great location, food, drinks, awesome entertainment staff, fun shows.....wow the list could go on and on! The only bad thing in the whole place was the food in the sports bar...there is no amount of drinking that you can do that will make that food taste good! hahaha...
If you are looking for a fun vacation I would definitely recommend the Riu Cancun :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Cancun? Share your experiences!