“Awesome all inclusive for the price.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Cancun

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Cancun to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Cancun
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan, Km 9, Manzana 50, Lote 5 | Cancun, Quintana Roo, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Fall Getaway
Ranked #33 of 174 hotels in Cancun
“Awesome all inclusive for the price.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This was my 3rd time in Cancun. I have stayed at Dreams resort & iberostar paraiso maya (both are a higher quality resort & of course more expensive)
This was my first time traveling without my parents, so of course I was looking for a great deal- and Riu cancun was the perfect deal!
Lobby is gorgeous, check in was smooth. Hotel staff are wonderful.
The room was okay, not as high end as rooms I've stayed in before, but it's your typical, standard room that you would stay in at the beach in the United States. You don't spend much time in the room anyways. Nice view of the ocean. Room was clean.
Pool was clean and nice. Chairs fill up quickly, so get there early. Beach area is fairly small.
We only had a 4 day stay & were unable to make reservations at any of the restaurants. The buffet was awesome. It was almost identical to the quality, size & selection of the buffets at Iberostar . Loved it.
My only complaint with food is there is no omelette station at breakfast; one day you could get a made to order omelette.. I would have preferred that option everyday.
Another complaint is by about 2-3pm the sun is pretty much gone from the beach & pool areas... This is standard for all hotels along that side of the ocean, but riu is significantly taller & the sun sets early.
Overall a terrific experience!

• Stayed January 2013

5,703 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (718)
  • Polish first
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Food is great, Japanese restaurant the best, beach is small but plenty of room for all, $15 Us. one way to Market 28...the most authentic market for souviniers. (not cheap anymore).
A stones throw from all the great bars and restaurants, and a short walk to Dreams hotel to Solo Buceo Dive Operators. (great dive operation)
Pools are nice at the Riu and it is a very extravagant place with an old spanish feel to it. The lobby/reception area is BEAUTIFUL!!
Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
West Jordan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is mine and my husbands 2nd stay at the Riu Cancun. We stayed her several years earlier and decided to stay here again with my mother in law and nephew. Here is my honest review of the hotel:

Reception: Prompt. Check in was a breeze and we were able to get in our room right away. We even arrived at the hotel at 1 pm.

Elevators: Terrible. We got stuck on one of the elevators with our luggage and a stranger for over 5 minutes. I started to panic as it was so hot in there I had to press the alarm and pry open the door with my fingernails. My husband and nephew would not use them for the remainder of our stay.

Room: Very nice. We had a Jr. Suite on the 4th floor - 469. The view was beautiful and the room was very spacious. One thing is the air didn't work so great but who spends a lot of time in their room anyway. The water pressure in the shower was fantastic! My only gripe is that the maid doesn't come to clean/bring towels until around 3:30-4:00pm.

Buffet: Large Selection. There was always something for everyone to enjoy and they bring in different themes nightly so it doesn't get old. In my opinion I did get sick of the food but it is very bland. The servers are awesome and very personable. Breakfast has a selection of fresh juices that I really enjoyed.

Specialty Restaurants: Getting a reservation is a feat. We stayed 7 days and could only make a reservation for the Rodizio and the Steakhouse. They were always booked several days in advance so my advice would be to book right when you get there.

Rodizio: Much to be desired. I wasn't very impressed with the service nor the presentation. Food was basically the same as the buffet with a few extra items.

Steakhouse: Amazing. The food was excellent and the service was awesome. I wish we could have made several reservations here. It is a four course dinner but I didn't leave room for desert. I did see a lot of other patrons leaving the desert so I'm not too sure how it was but it didn't look to great. It was called "Baked Alaska" and the presentation was good but no one ate it.

Pool: Rowdy and Annoying. We never go the the pool cause I can do that at home but it was spring break and it was loud and looked very, very dirty. I would never get into a cloudy, dirty pool. The staff does their best to clean the pools nightly but I wouldn't even stick my big toe in the main pool where the bar is located. Yucky!

Beach: My favorite. Always cleaned and beautiful. This is the highlight of my trip and my nephews. He was always getting a boogie board and snorkeling gear. The first few times I had to go with him but the staff came to know him very well and let him take them longer than the hr. allotted.

Staff: Very Attentive. They really do try and make your vacation pleasurable. I cannot say enough good things about the majority of them. You have a few buggers but that's to be expected.

Overall, great vacation. How can you not make the most of it when your in paradise?!? Personally, I won't be returning to the Riu Cancun because I have stayed here twice but it is a nice resort.

• Stayed March 2013
Wolverhampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This hotel is perfect throughout. The food in the main restaurant is second to none, and by far the best buffet food I've ever experienced in a hotel, the choice, freshness, presentation ands quality is fantastic, for every meal. The restaurants on site (Japanese, Steakhouse and Brazilian) are so professional and the quality is even better, especially the steakhouse. Cocktails are served all day and the selection is great, David in the pool bar is a star and remembers everyones drinks, and has it ready before you get to the bar. The entertainment team are so very talented and work so hard all day and night, and we didn't see many of the evening shows, but really wished we'd seen more because they are of excellent standard. The nightclub on site is a great size and bthe dj does an excellent job. Overall fantastic, can't believe the bad reviews, some people are just born to be miserable though.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bewdley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

hotel was clean , a little dated in decor but pleasant enough, reception area lovely, only 1 problem really ,we stayed there last 2 weeks feb which is america and canadas spring break, so pool bar was full of obnoxious drunk groups of men, very loud and how they can drink all day in the pool without leaving to nip to the loo, use your imagination , hasten to add we didnt go in that pool !!!
food was lovely, and staff couldnt be more helpful. Mexican outlet over the road no cheaper really than the hotel shop in fact suntan lotion was cheaper in the hotel. weird tip but, i always wear fit flops and these were lethal on all of the hotels floor, so spent entire 14 days in £1 flip-flops from prim ark !!!!!!!!! we went to downtown cancun on the bus yet was A; quite a terryfying exp and B; nothing there to go for !!!!!! there was shopping mall opp. which had all the tourist "tat" you coud wish for !!!!!!! Perfume is cheaper in the uk , so is aftershave and cosmetics. The beach was gorgeous and spotless, lucky lucky men get on your nerves a bit but all part of your hols !! would i go again .... Yes definitely !!! 1 more thing when we booked no one told us we had to pay £45 each to leave mexico , oh and once in duty-free in cancun you cant smoke !

Room Tip: fab view on floor 8 and slightly quieter
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed 14-21 March and having read the many negative reviews before we left, we thought we would be changing hotels on arrival. We are late 40's yet loved this place even though it was Spring Break.

It was very quiet until late morning and all the sunbeds around all the pools and on the beach were available. The sun is available all day by the railings between the beach and pool at the infinity pool, you get full sun from 7am to 4pm.

You get what you pay for here, it's in a great central location and the service and quality is great, the staff work so hard to make you happy and keep the place clean. We did the Riu Palace hotel tour which is next door and in addition to the Riu Cancun you get 24hr room service, better quality wine inc bottles in Al a Carte restaurants, tea/coffee making facilities and toiletries in the room. However, it lacked something and there were many guests from this hotel at the Riu Cancun. If you are expecting more, then pay extra and stay somewhere else.

Room - We stayed on the 8th floor facing the pier/jetty, overlooking the quiet pool so were welcomed by sunrise each morning. No sign of a damp musty smell. A very clean room perhaps newly painted? A large 7ft bed which had a new very deep mattress. On arrival we removed the waterproof mattress protector and put the spare blanket under the sheet which was always clean crisp white cotton. Flat screen TV. Internal door can be closed so that corridor noise can not be heard. Water instantly hot. Air conditioning quiet and very efficient.
There are optics in the room with 4 bottles including Vodka. Beer and soft drinks in the fridge. All are replenished every 2 days.

All rooms face the ocean - one side of the 'V' faces the pier/jetty, the other side face the swim up and infinity pool and perhaps doesn't get the sun at all which is why they are musty?? All front doors to the room face the Lagoon side.

Room keys - are actual keys and not cards. Only one per room and it is on a long neck string which many people wore around their necks although did get tan marks! Safe key and lock also provided although high charges are made if any of these are lost.

Lifts - All 4 were working and no delays experienced as mentioned. We often walked down the stairs from the 8th floor which is easy as the stairs are gradual and winding. I think if you stayed towards the top floors, they were then slower as more people were stopping on other floors. Being on floor 8, we pretty much went up and down without any other stops.

WiFi - Paid $50 for 24/7 wi-fi access anywhere in the hotel for 7 days. If you don't pay then you only get 90 continuous minutes per day in the lobby area.

Food - Huge choice in the std buffet. Every night has a theme but they always had chips, pasta, pizza etc for those who don't want to try other food. Roasts included chicken, beef and pork, all with various English vegetables. Wine and beer is on tap as well as various coffees. Staff were all friendly, efficient and helpful.

Pools - Quiet pool, as it says is very quiet and on the other side of the building. Swim up pool - great design, very popular. Activity pool - water polo, volleyball and various organised activities which was next to the infinity pool which was great to sit and overlook the beach. I had read a lot of reviews about people spending all day in the swim-up pool and it going cloudy. I can say that I never saw this during our stay and furthermore there was a guy who seemed to spend all day, every day testing the water in all the pools to ensure it was correct. There was waitress service around the pools (Special thanks to Fanny who served and smiled all day) and I also saw waiters on the beach.

Bars - Lobby bar although huge and busy, it lacked atmosphere and looks very dated. there were a selection of sofas outside in the walkway to the buffet. Great to sit and 'people watch' but they got taken very quickly. Sports Bar - Open 24hrs and has snacks (hotdogs, Nachos etc) but again was large and again lacked atmosphere.

A La Carte - Only went to the steak restaurant which was good and very filling. Choice of two sittings (early or late). Staff were very attentive but again, this place lacked atmosphere.

Beach - Lovely white sand and incredible sea colour. You can walk along the beach in both directions. Plenty of sunbeds although they are quite close together. The rocks mentioned are not a problem.

Reception - didn't use them on arrival as Thomson had pre-arranged check-in so this was done in the lobby bar. However, check out was very slow with long lines. Wrist bands are cut off at check out which is by 12 noon, therefore you no longer have use of facilities however, we did manage to get some food from the buffet restaurant by showing our check out slip of paper. We were collected at 12:50 so this wasn't really a problem.

Overall we had a really great time and did not experience any of the issues raised in other reviews. All the staff work very hard to maintain the hotel. We were pleasantly surprised at how good it was and even though it was Spring Break and packed with lots of college kids, none were rowdy, loud or rude.

Room Tip: Mid floor facing jetting/pier. Quieter side and gets the sun in the morning.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This review is a bit late but I thought better late than never.
Great hotel, staff are amazing and if you treat them well they will ensure you in turn are very well looked after,

Food is as expected. Was good, varied but as with buffets sometimes a little cold, however always well stocked and refilled quickly.
The morning omlette station is great.

The brazilian and steak restaurants were good, the japanese not to my liking.

Nightlife is good, Cancun strip is 5-6 mins walkaway. There is a mall directly opposite the hotel and good bus links from the hotel too.

Hotel is clean and in a good state, I would come here again and would visit other Riu's based on this visit,

Only gripe is that we went in winter, while weather was great the low sun is obscured in the afternoon by the height of the hotel - meaning you can only sunbathe until about 4pm after which there is no sun for you :(

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view, however first 2 floors are noisy (troublesome guests are placed next to s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Cancun? Share your experiences!