“It was ok” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Cancun

You added Hotel Riu Cancun to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Cancun
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan, Km 9, Manzana 50, Lote 5, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #26 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“It was ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I liked the hotel , but my room key had a big rectangle riu keychain, I had to leave my key at the front desk every time we went out. very close to all the nightlife, my friends and family said they saw a few roaches in the main restaurant . Food was ok .. Pool was great

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed for five days and had a great time. We were looking for a mid level all inclusive that was a good value and I was delivered that and more.

The room was clean and had plenty of beverages in the mini fridge as well as the in room bar. I found the hotel had a good variety of food for each meal in the main dining area as well as the snack bar by the pool. We had one dinner at the Japanese restaurant and that was not so good. I would not recommend "Mexican Japanese" to anyone staying here.

The drinks were good and did not taste watered down, with lots of variety. The bartenders had plenty of delicious recommendations and we tried quite a few, beware of the "Adios" drink!

The service was also great, all the people I dealt with were very friendly and helpful. I would reccomend the Riu Cancun to anyone looking for an all inclusive trip to Cancun.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto

Dates: Feb 24-Mar 3, 2013

I loved the resort!!! I have been to a luxury resort and paid the premium and I think RIU was an awesome resort. Everything was perfect. Lots of food selection, great staff, clean hotel and lots of effort made on everyone's part to keep you happy. The resort is literally a five minute walk from the club district and shopping area. I found the resort to have an excellent mix of people and a variety of ages, singles and couples. No babies or small kids. The only bad thing I have to say about this resort is about the sun exposure. Around 2pm the sun would be hidden by the huge hotel and it became chilly and the beach is very small. The entertainment at the resort was fantastic every single night and they even have a club at the resort. The club was nothing spectacular but the resort is competing with all the cancun clubs and it just won't win. Overall, I think the resort was perfect. Nothing extreme fancy but nothing was bad and lots of variety to keep everyone happy. I should mention that the hot tub on the other side of the resort is not a hot tub!! Wish they had one.
The only part that I was upset with was the club pack we bought from Sunwing. We bought 3 club passes and one excursion deal for $195 USD which did seem like a good deal at the time. But we later discovered that you can probably get club entrance cheaper if you buy directly from the club. And our excursion got cancelled every single day because of the bad weather and sunwing did nothing to compensate us for it. I guess that is the risk you take and its not Sunwing's fault but it would have been nice if our sunwing rep atleast pretended that she cared!
Everyone that goes to Cancun has to go to coco bongo! BEST club ever. Super fun!!

Room Tip: we paid extra for an oceanview room but maybe I am just not a fan of the view but I didn't find...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Can't fault this hotel, its as described in the brocures, on the beach, with excellent standards of food and service. It is a little dated in design, but having checked out the 'newer & refurbished' RIU hotels in the same area, we were glad we picked the RIU Cancun (has a 'Colonial/Art Neaveau feel to it, tall ceilings and older light fittings, sort of Raffles Singapore), we we though far better. Take a list of your favourtie cocktails, because we must have tried every one we could think of and still they kept coming (although not all of the spirits are to UK standard, I thought the Brandy they served undrinkable, but thats the only issue).The Themed a la carte restaurants are good, but the main buffet restaurant (Don Juan) is outstanding. The chice and quality of food is amazing, and its almost impossible not to over eat (we tried & failed to eat sensibly). We didn't do much outside the Hotel, as there's no real need to leave it, but the excursions are expensive, and the loclal shopping malls/plaza's unimpressive & overpriced. Catch a Ciuty bus outside the hotel,17 pesos (£1)for two, and head for Wal Mart, just tell the driver when you get on and he'll tell you when you've arrived, Very cheap Tequila & Hairdresser, (but the tequila at the airport is also cheaper than the local shops & you can take it on the plane as 'carry on). Cigars? Well I bought some Te Amo's at the airport duty free. They are not cheap in the local shops, the beach Hawkers offer them cheaply (but as one Yank said " I smoked one of these last year and had a headache for 2 days") but real or fake? Finally (if you're looking for some peace & quiet) try & avoid 'Spring Break' which was just starting as we left. Its not just noisy Americans, the party scene is now joined by youngsters from all over the world. If your one of those youngsters (University age) this is for you.

Room Tip: As for a high floor with full sea view, some rooms on the lower floors have views onstructed by buil...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We were here for 12 nights in total.
The rooms - good quality overall, fully stocked bar (with optics, yes optics!) which is replenished every 2 days unless you request otherwise. Safe is available but the rumour is there has been thefts so not recommended. Iron and ironing board and flat screen tv with numerous English channels. Sea view and balcony for all rooms.
Entertainment - it's okay, the best show is the traditional
Mayan the rest are pretty camp dancing shows. The pool entertainment is quite good and comprised of water polo, water volleyball etc. the pools are great but get your towel out at 2am to guarantee a lounger. Swim up bar is very cool. Use the staff night club trips to see the big clubs, the city for me was the best, cocos is too rammed.
Bars - the drinks choice are nothing short of amazing, anything bar JD is available, all the cocktails you clan think of.
Food - fing amazing, any reviews that complain about choice use lunatics. You can book 3 different themed restaurants or use the main dining rooms.
Staff - great, really attentive, polite and very professional.
Location - excellent right near the action and on the beach
Only complaint I have is the WIFI you only get an hour and half in the lobby otherwise you pay crazy prices, it supposed to be a 5 star hotel????
Summary - great hotel, great staff more a 4 star but has 5 star food.

Room Tip: One that doesn't leak!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Piracicaba, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I were staying for a week at this spectacular hotel (february,25 to march 04, 2013). The staf is very helpful and attentive, the hotel is clean, the food is wonderful and abundant!
Although ancient, it is well maintained and clean, everything works fine. We hope back soon!!!

Room Tip: Rooms with Ocean view are amazing!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Crescent, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Where to begin?! The Riu Cancun is far better than a 3 star resort! My husband and I have been to Cancun 3 times now in the past 15 moths, and this was our first time staying at a Riu resort. We travel often, and have stayed at many all-inclusive resorts, including two 5 stars. We have nothing but praise for Riu Cancun, and can't wait to go back! The entire resort is very well maintained, and the star is eager to serve your every need! Check-in and check-out room less than 10 minutes, and was very easy.

We stayed in a junior suite (room 447), and ha gorgeous views from our balcony! Our AC worked amazingly well. The water pressure is outstanding here.... The best we've ever had at a hotel, and there is no shortage of hot water! Our room was huge with lots of closet space and hangers. The liquor I dispenser and fridge are completely stocked with all your needs, and are re-stocked every-other day. (Which is plenty often!) The "king bed" is probably our only room complaint as it is two double beds pushed together, which was awkward. But we made it work!

The food and bars are great! We are at both the main buffet and mission buffet (pool & ocean side). I'm a picky eater, but had no problems finding great food! They have something for everyone's cravings! The crepes on Thursday night were amazingly delicious... My husband and I both had seconds on these treats! We did eat at two of the speciality restaurants... The Japanese one was great food and service. My husband doesn't care for sushi and such, but liked what he ordered. It was a nice, romantic setting. We ate at the Brazilian restaurant with another couple we met on the trip. This was an interesting experience as its a sampling type dinner. The food was good, but wasn't my all-time favorite. My one complaint is how hard it is to get into the restaurants. We would go down around 10:30 each morning, and they were already booked full... But then when we did get in there were so many empty tables?! Didn't make sense to us, but oh we'll, the buffet was plenty good!

The bars serve great drinks, and its fun to sample new things as the bartenders are very knowledgeable! Great shots, too! :) The night club is a fun place to hang out, listen to music, drink and meet other people. It's nothing fancy, but works for the nights you don't want to leave the resort (and pay $40-100 pp for clubs)! The resort shows were very entertaining. You need to get there early for a good seat! They have something for everyone! Mayan show was very cool!

We used the spa for 80 minute massages. Mexican therapist pay so much more attention to detail than back here in the US. We're members of Massage Envy, and neither my husband or I have had a massage that can compare to the ones we've gotten in Mexico. The prices were a little high though... I would suggest going across the street from Riu Palace Americanas to Bamboo Salon & Spa, which we also did later in the trip. They are much more reasonable, and both of us agree this was the best massage ever.... And it's clean, modern, and comfortable.

The beach and pools were both great! The waves aren't too crazy here so you can actually enjoy swimming, and we saw kids playing around the beach. Chairs were harder to find by the pool after 10 am, but we prefer the beach, and never had a problem. There all sorts of activities you can participate in for all ages! We had no issues of getting sun like some people said. Who needs sun after 4:30 anyways?

All in all, Riu Cancun is an amazing resort that deserves at least 4.5 stars! If you can't have a good time here then it's your own fault! This resort has it all, and seems to be a great place for all ages! It's the perfect balance of relaxation and fun! We will definitely be going back!

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Hotel Riu Cancun? Share your experiences!