“Not the best” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Cancun

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Cancun to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Cancun
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan, Km 9, Manzana 50, Lote 5 | Cancun, Quintana Roo, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #32 of 172 hotels in Cancun
Indianapolis
“Not the best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Just returned after staying 5 nights at Riu cancun.
Most of the staff were lovely.Very friendly and excellent service. Christina,our waitress at Don Pedro was awesome, good service and food at the mission steak house.Japanese restaurant was very good,but service not great. Tables all around us were being served desert as we were just getting our appetizers.Also, as many others said, don't understand the 48 hr book in advance policy as there were many open tables.Also,after waiting in line for 20 minutes to book reservation,the girl wrote down the wrong night on our reservation card. I just glanced at the time,but whe we got to restaurant, host said your reservation is for last night. I said, I just a booked it yesterday and the girl wrote down the wrong day.He said they would have to seat everyone and if there were any tables left we could be served. I explained that my family and I should not have to wau for their employees mistake.He just said please wait and we see and motioned us to step aside. We were the first people in line and had to wait for about 30 people behind us to be seated. We did get in,but the way bit was handled by the host was embarassing. That said,kudos to the chef. Delicious array of sushi and the best meal we had at the resort.

The room temp was very warm and yes the sheets always felt damp, as a previous viewer mentioned, yes you are by the ocean, but with a proper ventilation system the room should not have so much humidity. I have stayed at several ocean front resorts in Mexico and never experienced moist sheets before.

Finally, the non motorized water sports were disappionting.The guys running the stand were not helpful. They did not have windsurfing as advertised and said you can go to the Riu Caribe and use theirs,but it was not walkable from the beach.They tld my so. To call and check if they were letting people out instead of offering to assist him. He was on hold with the front desk at that resort for 15 minutes and did not get a straight answer.

I got stomach issues mid way through. Not sure if it was the buffet food or cheap vodka in blue ocean drinks. Would be nice if they had hand sanitizers at restaurants as many people are coughing,sneezing and eating while in the food lines!
We tipped the servers and did get excellent service and the tips were greatly appreciated.Servers and staff are mostly friendly and work hard to make an enjoyable,but would not stay here again B/c of room conditions and lack of sun after 230pm. Location was good and view nice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

5,683 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
  • Polish first
florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Our group of four average age 55 went to cancun for the first time in May of 2012. We arrived on a saturday and all was well until wednesday just befor the holiday . All of a sudden all these people who just wanted to drink and get into fights decended upon the hotel. They filled the pools to capacity drinking and carrying on. There was no where to get away from them. We all felt terrible the way they treated the local help who were so nice to us apoligising for their rude and discusting behavior. Thats the bad part but before the wednesday fiasco everything was perfect, we took a kitchen tour which was very interesting (by the way no one in our party was ever sick). The beach and water was great and the food was good. Just remember don't go on a holiday.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend (24) and I (23) traveled to the Riu Cancun from 12/39/12-1/5/13. We showed up earlier than expected and were able to get into our room right away. We were on the second floor with a great view and nice sized room. Despite the complaints I'm about to mention, the big thing we kept saying was "it's hard to complain when you're in such a beautiful place." It was hard not to remember the reviews we read; however, I think the positives (and negatives) I saw would have been seen regardless.

1- the service and entertainment crews were great. Unless you're that lazy and can't get up to grab a drink at one of the numerous bars, you'll be fine. Entertainment started at the pool around 10 every day and had something for everyone-- kid activities, water polo, volleyball, Olympics, soccer, water aerobics, etc. Despite your age, they make everyone feel comfortable.
* the sun isn't as big of a deal as people write about. Because of the time of year the sun goes away by 530 anyway, so when it's gone by 4 from the beach no one cares. We were always up early and made sure to grab seats along the white balcony at the pool level and/or at the beach for later.

2 - things to do - having been to cancun before, my boyfriend wanted to go out and show me the night life. Because we passed out early mostly every night, we didnt make it out until the last night. We went w the entertainment staff to a club called the city... It was great and we felt safe on our 5 min walk home at 230 am. Some of the other 6 nights were filled w either the disco, shows at the resort or sitting outside playing cards. ...During the day we checked out the shops (and Starbucks) directly across the street.

3- Food- as a picky eater I was worried about what I would eat once I arrived, and to be honest the first few days were fine. However, after a few days it does get old. Again, hard to complain but all I wanted by day 3 was a bag of chips!
Breakfast- best meal- eggs and omelettes made how you want :-)
Lunch- good options but repeated frequently
Dinner- had dinner at the steak house and Japanese restaurant - not as great as you would think. My bf liked them, but I'm not a big meat eater so we stuck to the buffets so we could eat whenever we wanted
* I was surprised to read the recent reviews (about the food) from the dates we traveled. I also got sick on Thursday night after eating lunch. It was absolutely horrible! I don't think it was just the food, rather a mix of it, the drinks, sun and lack of water.

4- cleanliness- everything was clean. Yes, the rooms are a little outdated, but that wasnt a big deal to us. We liked the way it had a Mexican feel!
* The damp feeling in the room does exist. Our floors always felt slick, the sheets always felt wet and our clothes damp. Not the greatest feeling, but it is what it is.

Overall, we had a great time. We woke up early each day, had great encounters w the staff, and enjoyed our time at the Riu Cancun. My two biggest issues were the food and damp feeling of the room. All in all, those two things aren't enough to say don't visit this resort. The other negative reviews don't seem possible and instead seem like the people themselves could be the problem. If you treat the staff nice, even when you're unhappy, they do what they can to assist you.

Stay tuned for the male version of this review from my boyfriend.....

• Stayed December 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

On arrival you are greeted with a refreshing non alcoholic drink, the booking in procedure is quick and efficient.
The rooms are a little dated but provide everything you could possibly need including optics of whiskey, brandy, vodka and tequila, the fridge is also fully stocked with beer, coke and water all of which are replenished every 2 days.
The food is lovely but can be a bit repetitive, there are 3 restaurants to try all of which are worth a visit.
The entertainment staff do a good job trying to include all age groups and most of it is worth a watch.
Down side is that the beach is rocky but if you walk further down there is a nice sandy beach.
The pools are good with choice quiet or a little noisier around the swim up bar.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Rotherham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stopped in this hotel July/August 2011! Best holiday I have had in my life!! Cocktails were amazing, and the night club on site was good fun. Coco bongos in the most amazing night ever for all ages- a show with unlimited drinks! Fantastic! The pool bar was brill, and spent most days laid around it. No problem in getting a sunbed.
Went swimming with dolphins at dolphin discovery in their natural environment. well worth the money and got a CD with hundred photos to print at home.
No holiday now compares- every year the price goes up or I would go every summer.
Weather red hot, got a lovely tan. rained one day for 30 seconds- still hot and just stayed in pool nothing to worry about!!
10/10
Entertainment staff were excellent!!! I went with my bf and another couple. the second time the other couple have been and enjoyed it just as much as the first.

Room Tip: All sea view- all are fantastic
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We had read previous reviews of this hotel so therefore decided to spend New Years here. Our experience started off bad as we checked in only to find our room made of 2 single beds when we had booked a queen bed room. They said we had to sleep in it that night then they would move us the next day. The apparent "5 star hotel" was more like a beach shack with the rooms being very average. Rooms were fitted out very cheaply, the 'all you can drink mini bar' was water and Pepsi and no snacks. The bathrooms were mediocre with the toilet barely flushing. They gave you one thin blanket which was nowhere near enough given they control the AC (not you). We bought the all inclusive package for a New Years 4 day retreat ( for my partner and I-both 25) and the all inclusive was awful- cheap alcohol that was barely drinkable (plus we caught them not putting tequila in the 'margheritas'), restaurants inside the hotel were worse than the buffet and you had to book 2 days in advance which was a joke when you arrive and don't know this! My girlfriend and I both got tummy bugs (potentially from the food?) and ended up having to eat at the buffet because we couldn't get into the restaurants that were included! The customer service woman taking bookings was so rude and unaccommodating and when we turned up to 'see if we could get in anywhere' the restaurants were empty! I don't recommend this hotel to anyone it may have been good in the 70's but not now. We also bonded with other guests on how ridiculous this was.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I travel to Mexico 3 times a year and ususlly stay at the Riu hotels when I'm in Mexico so I was a little surprised to read the bad reviews? The food is always fantastic with such a wide variety as well. The hotel is situated close to restaurants and night life and the bus is right outside so its a short ride to the mall if you're into shopping. the staff were awesome and sooooooo friendly always joking around and making us laugh! The nightly entertainment was great really talented and funny!!! About the only thing I didn't like at The RIU CANCUN were the beds....they need improvement....it felt like I was sleeping on plastic and I woke up damp and I don't sweat like that.... the room was air conditioned! If you change the bedding and use cotton mattress protectors....it would have been perfect!

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor end units.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Cancun? Share your experiences!