“Beware of your personal thing like jewelry” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Cancun

You added Hotel Riu Cancun to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Cancun
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan, Km 9, Manzana 50, Lote 5, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #26 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
San Diego, California
“Beware of your personal thing like jewelry”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

We had a very bad experience at this hotel. We were speeding our honeymoon and we went to have breakfast and I left my wedding ring at the room at when we came back it was gone. I spoke to the staff and they told that "there was nothing they could do" which was ridiculous. It was obvious that the cleaning lady took it.
It was really unpleasant.
I hope this review help you to decide where to spent your vacation time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Wellll first of all I will admit I am a lover of trip advisor so before coming away I had a good nose through all the recent reviews. Ok the flight is a bit of a pain in the ****, but when we where out of the airport which took a little while, we were the first drop off which was fab, exactly what you want to hear! We headed straight into reception to find we didnt need all of our sheets and that are luggage was being labelled and taken to are rooms, just what I wanted as I was knackered! Short meeting with a cocktail and 10 minutes later you have your room key, safe key ( FREE ), and two towel cards. There are 15 floors, so as you can imagine there is sometimes a delay on lifts, there are four though! We were the 8th floor with a stunning view of the sea and pool views. The room - far to blue for my liking, but hey ho all you do is sleep and shower in it so I didnt really mind! We didnt know the air con was behind the door and that when you have the door open the air con doesnt work so we spent the first night extremely restless ! TIP - If you do leave your door open dont leave it to long as the floors do get slippy off the vapour and you can slide. We were provided with a mini fridge full of pepsi, 7 up, water, beers, and on top there was brandy, whisky, tequila, and vodka. The bathroom is a good size ok our bath had a crack on ... who cares ! Absolutely no problems with the safe, with the maids, with the air con, with anything the room was great! Our first meal in the don juan which is the main buffet was breakfast & the food was lovely, I am a picky eater, no meat, no fish, no eggs really... & I never went without. There was an omelette bar where they were made to order, also there was poached, fried, eggy bread, sausages, bacon, beans, then salads, lots of different types of pancakes, doughnuts, croissants, then a whole range of smoothies & cereal. Really good selection. They also leave you with your own kettle of tea or coffee to save constant refills. The staff are always buzzing around removing plates checking if you need anything! Some days they had a bbq outside for people in the pool bar but also had the restaurant open, it seemed to work really well! There was always a large selection of choice at dinner and tea but more tea time as most people seemed to snack at dinner, Each night at the main restaurant there would be a theme, spanish, internation, italian, asian, etc. Asian was my favourite.. Loved the spring rolls. There are 5 bars all open at different times, the sports bar is 24 hours. Get to know Luis he is lovely!! There is a snack bar in there that is open 24 hours also, burgers, hotdogs, salads and sandwiches and nachos... Not good cheese sauce though for me it was a let down that they didnt have better standard of nachos with it being mexico! Drinks.. no matter which bar we were in we were served fast & throughout my stay at RIU I did not feel pressured to tip, it was my choice. The cocktails were lovely strawberry dakiris & margaritas where my favourite. The entertainment.... Some nights it was really funny, they got everyone involved reguarly.. the dogs vs cats, the michael jackson show, the commedy show, were all really good fun! I didnt really like the mexican dancing but thats prob because I'm only 21 & didnt really find it my cup of tea. The beaches where beautiful the water was so clear it was fab, there where jetskis down the beach you could rent out, which some friends did and would reccomend. TIP... at the welcome meeting we were told that the plaza across the road is timeshare... I went to this plaza and found no evidence of a timeshare... Infact I was really annoyed that I had booked my exercusions with Thomson to find they where a hell of a lot cheaper in there ! I felt tricked, for one trip we paid $90 across the road it was $50... A friend paid $109 each down the road even further it was $31 !!! Please do shop around, people will barter with you. As for trips we did quite alot... I highly recommend Coco Bongos.. The bar crawl was around £45.. we went twice to daddyo's, coco bongos, mandala, senor frogs, sweet, TIP ... Do not accept shots.. all drinks are included in all bars but not the shot girls walking round $5 a shot!! The only place that really annoyed me was SWEET for saying we hadnt tipped enough, they had a cheek as we dont have to tip to begin with never mind enough! Coco Bongos ... Chocker block... but out of this world, best night club in the world. No joke! It was like a music festival concert nightclub all in one. TIP... Dont get the buses after around 10pm... The police are around and they do apparently plant drugs & ask for $100 or you are getting arrested, although I didnt see this, quite a few people mentioned it. We also did the captain hook cruise, which was really good fun! Wet & wild which wasnt really a water park but there were a few good rides, and all drinks and food included and swam with the dolphins while we were there... Absolutely FAB! Best experience. Lovely animals. We also rented out our own speedboat... Really cheap.. 2 and half hour trip.. Drive 45 minutes out and snorkle for an hour and then 45 minutes back... Reallllllllly good trip, definitely do it again! Reccomend to everyone. Allll in alll amazing trip, met some lovely people and will definitely return. Please feel free to ask any questions !

Room Tip: We had the 8th floor, expereinced noise one night and that was neighbours, easily high enough for a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

hi just came off the holiday of a lifetime it was me an my mum stayed for a fortnite an it was amazing. We had a lovely room overlooking the sea the food hall. The weather was hot, a few days of rain but didnt last long. The staff work so hard an they did not stop they were always doing something. The location was brilliant, the beach, pool the only snag just a little some thing need more umbrellas because people was pushing you out of the spot, We managed to get ones on the beach we put our towels on the sunbeds one day we went down to sea we came back an people tried to push our sunbeds out of the umbrellas or cramed us in so we couldnt move. This is so rude if they just asked but they didnt be aware! It happen a few times especially on the beach. The food was lovely came home i havent eaten anything the last two days because i eaten so much just couldnt get enough. yum yum we didnt do many trips we stay in hotel, we just did the dolphin one in wet wild we spent the whole day with them as a trainer for the day we was showen what they did for the day. we held a baby dolphin an she get kept coming backing all the time for a smooth. It was amazing. I would defo b going back again an we met this lovely couple who also made this holiday so enjoyable! I dont know WHY people have anything bad to say about this hotel because they work 100% an more to make the hotel to a superb standard. Its the best of the best. FANTASTICO!

Room Tip: we had 1237 which overlook the sea and be quieter.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

Location superb. Service from staff excellent but thought entertainment for Children was lacking. More of a party hotel than a family hotel.
Rooms very basic in need of a refurb but kept fairly clean. View from
All rooms excellent but lifts from high floors a nightmare as u will discover after a 2 week holiday.
4* hotel but more like a 3*. Excellent location, friendly staff, good choice of food, basic rooms and please remember the immodium!! All 7 of us needed it!!
Saw a cockroach outside one day which was fine but to see one crawling in your bathroom at 2am on the 15th floor was not good!
Riu Tequilla in Playa Car Mexico better hotel than this but you can't fault this location

• Stayed May 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Just returned from a 2 week holiday / Brother in law getting Married stay at the Riu Cancun. This has to be one of the best hotels i have ever stayed at. All inclusive means exactly what it sounds like all inclusive. The rooms are clean tidy and well maintained during your stay, they come with a fully stocked mini bar (Free) and re stocked every 2 days. You have a variety of spirits by the bottle in your room which again are re stocked every 2 days. The food was simply fantastic, no complaints, good choice, hot and plenty of it. Snack bar (Smaller choice) but again all hot and fully stocked. They have a 24 hr sports bar where you can watch sport from around the world. The beach is wow white sand really nice with plenty of loungers. You can hire jet ski's for around 45 us dollars or 800 pesos well worth it. The hotel is really close to all night life but none of it intrudes into the hotel. The bus service is great only 8 pesos to anywhere downtown / hotel zone, best way of getting round. The hotel has a mixed variety of guests from various countries and ages etc. The sports and entertainment team go out of there way to include everybody without being pushy they was what made the hotel so good, the football world cup or pool volleyball was fun.

Enjoy this wonderful hotel

Room Tip: the views are great so the higher the better however the lifts take quite sometime so view or wait y...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

The first night we had no A/C and they would not move us to a new room until the next day. And then we had to wait until 3 pm to move as we did the first day we got there. We were told we had a much better room but it was exactly the same. We could not make any reservations for restaurants until the third night we were there because they only book two nights in advance and there was nothing available when we arrived at noon on our first day. Then the restaurants were the same exact food on the buffet just on a nicer plate and served to you. The liquor is the cheapest kind possible and there is only one type of red, rose and white wines that are not good quality. They are served out of a dispenser at the buffet. Only one brand of beer. The rooms felt dirty and sticky, the beds were so hard, sheets felt like sandpaper, and you only receive one old fashioned key per room. I never had a decent nights rest. The only part we enjoyed were the pools and the beach. There was one day we got drink service on the beach. No room service as well. We would never stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012 via mobile

Hotel was amazing the food was soooo good, although at night it was a bit
Dud... No music or anything in the bars and the pacha nightclub was sht they had the same cd on all the time same songs same order...also I have nothing against Americans but they all either got wasted and puked
In the pool bar or were ur best mate at night and then ignored u the next day. The pool bar was sooo cloudy by 3pm with people urinating in it that we couldn't go in it! The beach was gorgeous and big and the location of the hotel was amazin right next to all the clubs. We stayed
In the barcelo costa last year and we
Only had one pool and the food was dire
But at the end of the day I lost weight and it was sooooo much more fun than the riu everyone met and kept in touch all through the holiday I'd rather go back there to be honest just for the fun factor.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Hotel Riu Cancun? Share your experiences!