“Great Food and Staff but other issues prevail” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets The Vine Cancun Resort & Spa

You added Secrets The Vine Cancun Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Secrets The Vine Cancun Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulcan Km 14.5 Mza.13 Retorno del Rey Lote 38 & 38B, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Hoboken, New Jersey
“Great Food and Staff but other issues prevail”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

CHECK IN AND OUT - Great !
STAFF - Great !
ROOM 1807 - clean ,but beware!!! There was no bath in my room or a shelf in the shower to shave my legs. Also no place to put shampoo and soap in the shower. I ended up taking the garbage can from the short desk area and turning it upside down in the shower for my items.
My shower was also luke warm for the most part.
FOOD - absoulutely fabulous! The best ever on vacation!!!
POOLS - very lovely, but the water was a bit cold.
OCEAN - choppy waves, saw a few needed to be helped by life guards, but this is due to the stormy weather in the tropics.
HOTEL CONSTUCTION - Who the heck hired this architect??? Secrets should also know better, since this is not their first, secord, or even third hotel!... the glass kept breaking (spider like) no-one got hurt, and constuction workers were always replacing the glass panels.
The floor from the pool into the main hotel kept warping. Again mantainence was daily re-screwing the boards down. Eventully, I picture them replacing them completely with tile.
WIFI - Don't rely on staying connected. Although it is offered and one morning actually worked for me.
ENTERTAINMENT - Good entertainment! Actually enjoyed the Opera Singer Best - on Sept. 27th. They should hire him back, he was "that good"!
I'll probabally will visit Secrets again, just not the Modern Glass one!

Room Tip: ask for a bath tub
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,155)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
North Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My boyfriend & I went to Secrets The Vine Cancun Resort & Spa from Sep 2-5, 2012. We were there to celebrate our 4 year anniversary, as well as my 28th birthday. The deal was purchased through Orbitz, where we were able to get an exceptional deal including flight & airport transfer. From the time we arrived at the hotel, the service was outstanding. We were greeted with a glass of champagne & a cool towel at check in. There was about a 10 minute wait but there were a few parties ahead of us so that was understandable.

Room
Our rooms were ready when we arrived (around 1) even though check in wasn't until 3. The Orbitz info was a little misleading since it described the room has having a Jacuzzi tub, which it didn't but the room was so beautiful, I didn't mind. Afterall, that was an error on Orbitz part, not the hotel. The bed was super comfortable & the pillows were nice as well. It has very modern decor, which is consistent throughout the hotel. The rooms have (at least to me) advanced dimmer stations set up at 3 areas: front door, sink & bed. These make it very convenient. The in room fridge could stand to be a little cooler & there wasn't any way to adjust the temp on that but there were plenty of beverages.

The first night there we ordered room service since it was already such a long day for us. I ordered steak which was just average (no real taste & ordered medium rare but got pretty close to medium well) but they did bring the steake sauce without my having to ask. My boyfriend ordered some type of rib tip & he seemed to have liked it. The breakfast buffet is very good, with tons of selection of food. They even had some fruits that we couldn't identify! Lol, but the food served there was top notch & extremely satisfying. The little bistro at the main level (before you hit the Mexican restaurant & go down to the beach) is good if you want a quick snack or a little sandwich. My favorite restaurant there was the seafood one down by the beach, the name escapes me know. The food was wonderful! I don't ordinarily like ordering seafood (too many bad experiences) but this food was heavenly. I ordered something with covina I think it was called, that had pureed peas & potatoes that was just outta this world. I don't remember what he had but he gobbled it up pretty quickly so he definitely liked it, lol. We also visited Olio on the 12th floor. The ambience was great, with low jazz & soft lighting but I wasn't thrilled with the food, perhaps if I had gone there first. Overall, the food here is above average so bring your appetites!

Employees
All of the employees are exceptionally kind at this resort. I can't remember his name (I want to say Eduardo or Fernando) at the concerege desk was very helpful, even helping us plan out the route to take the local bus into Downtown Cancun. Maria (hotel operator) always had a smile in her voice, no matter what time I called. The people at the Spa were great, very hospitable, even sitting with us in the sauna to talk (we were the only ones & he wanted to make sure it was hot enough since it hadn't caused us to sweat after being in there for 15 mins). One thing I found kind of odd, in a children of the corn kind of way, is that they all use the same phrase when you say thank you "It is our pleasure". You can definitely tell they instilled that during the training process!

All in all, it was a great experience. We were sad when it was time to go. If you decide to go, you won't be sorry!

Highland Lake County, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed at the Secrets The Vine in Cancun Sept 12 thru 19. This was absolutely a beautiful resort. Service was outstanding. The facility was on the modern side. They were only half capacity at the time we were there, but when you went down to the beach someone was there to bring you chairs & umbrellas & towels & drinks & food. The beach was a little rocky and a lot of seashells. The pool areas were excellent. Food was outstanding. Breakfast had everything you could ask for. Anyone who complains about the breakfast is just a complainer. Hats off and hugs to Chef Manuel & our server Esteban. It was our 25th Anniversary. We went the Mexican Resturant. We made mention to Esteban about our Anniversary and he returns explaining that the Chef wanted to cook for us and not go off of the menu. What an experience! The culinary dishes put in front of us surpassed any anniversary meal we have had in the past. Thank you for making that day so special. Also, hugs & laughter to Marribell at the spa. She guided my husband & I thru the spa facility and it was an experience to behold. Marribell was so kind & gentle in showing us what to do. It was obvious that my husband & I were not too knowledgeable in the facilities and we found that we could not stop laughing along with Merribell. We had room service for breakfast on our balcony a couple of mornings. Our room was on the 17th Floor with a view of the ocean & lagoon. We were blessed to witness the most extrodinary sunsets we have ever seen from that balcony. A+ to Secrets The Vine. We would definitly stay there again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We were greeted with champagne and ice cold cloths to clean up. Every staff member were all smiles and ended almost every sentence with, it is our pleasure. The food was awesome. The rooms were a dream. If you don't want the typical all inclusive where your drinks are served in plastic solo cups and you have to wait in line for a buffet dinner, this is your place. Instead, your drinks will be in fancy glass or plastic cups (pool side) top shelf alcohol..and you can go to a sit down dinner at any of their restaurants, when you want to. In the morning you can visit their coffee bar, then have an espresso or any of their great coffee drinks mid afternoon for a pick me up. They have a great wine selection, and offer wine tasting every afternoon. We had an awesome dream vacation. If you find dissatisfied with your experience here.. frankly you are just too spoiled to enjoy life.. happy travels!!!

• Stayed September 2012
Cornelius, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

From check-in to check-out, the service at this resort is far and above any that we have ever received in the past. I have travelled throughout most of the Caribbean and Mexico, and have stayed at many of the all-inclusive chains, such as the Iberostar Grands,The Royal and the ME resorts. Service at those hotels has usually been good, but The Vine was just incredible.

We stayed at the hotel from September 22 - 29 in PC Junior Suite numbers 2509 and 2511. The views were beautiful from our large balconies, and the rooms were huge and well appointed. You could really have a small party in that shower! I am sure all of the Butlers are wonderful, but I feel that we lucked out and had the best Butler in the resort, or in any resort. Her name is Vanessa, and she is such a kind and caring person who gets the job done quickly, and with a smile on her face. Her talents are not just limited to the confines of your room. She will try to fulfill any request. My husband and I are returning on February 2, 2013, so I hope to have a room on a floor that is run by this wonderful lady!

Speaking of the staff, there were two bartenders, Bernardo and Freddie at the outside terrace bar, who kept our happy hours and evenings really fun. I laughed so hard one night with them, that other people at the bar were laughing with me (at me) and didn't even know why they were laughing! Leonardo, the Food & Beverage Manager is so hands on with everyone, that we wondered if he had cloned himself, so that he might have the ability to reach out to every guest at all times. Haha! There are so many others that I would love to mention. I could go on and on about the staff at this place. Just amazing!

The food at all of the restaurants was very good, but the Italian was our favorite. We ate there for dinner three times! The cocktails were carefully and expertly prepared at all of the bars. Just tell them what type of alcohol you want first, so you are satisfied with your drink.

Thank you, Secrets The Vine, for an enjoyable stay! We will see you in February!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Oak Park, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Best time ever. Food, spa and staff were excellent! Alan, Winnie and Beth on the entertainment staff made our trip a pure joy. Pools were clean and beautiful. Food was great, bartenders attentive. This is my second time at a Secrets resort and I wholeheartedly recommend them for privacy but also fun!

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This was our first experience with AMResorts but not our first experience with all inclusive resorts. We have vacationed at LeBlanc, Cozumel Place, Excellence Playa Mujeres and Iberostar Grand in Jamaica.

My husband and I vacationed at the SecretsThe Vine from September 15 – 22, 2012. We arrived at the Cancun airport at 11:30am and arrived at the resort at 12:45pm. Our ,Cancun Transfers, driver was greeted by resort security and within moments we were at the doors of the resort. Two employees immediately met us, one took our luggage and the other was waiting with refreshing towels. The employees met us so quickly that our driver didn’t have sufficient time to retrieve our luggage from the SUV. We were escorted to the lobby and were provided with refreshing champagne or rather sparkling wine. After a quick tour we were escorted to the 21st floor for Preferred Club check in. The check in was rather quick and we were told our room on the 23rd floor was not ready and would be ready at 3:00pm. We were asked to meet with Ana in regards to our “$200 resort coupons”. In our opinion this was maybe the resorts attempt to sell their “membership”. I simply stated twice we were not interested in timeshare sales, membership etc. and the meeting was quickly over. At the end of the meeting our check in Concierge informed us there was a room on the 26th floor immediately available and we would like to see the suite for approval. We were quickly taken to the 26th floor and were greeted by Vanessa, our Butler for the week. PC Junior Suite 2631 was beautiful with great views of the ocean and lagoon. We were pleased with the room and within minutes our luggage arrived. By 2:00pm we were all unpacked (Vanessa offered to unpack for us and we declined) and were at Sea Salt for lunch.

Our PC Suite was large and spacious enough for 2 guests with excellent closet space. Our king size bed was very comfortable and on day 2 I ordered 2 additional pillows and we slept great all week. Housekeeping did an excellent job including nightly turn down service. We requested 9:00pm nightly turn down service and were accommodated. The towels were large, very soft and nice and thick. Our refrigerator, snacks and liquor was replenished daily. Being on the 26th floor we initially thought we may hear some construction noise from floors 27& 28 but we never did. We didn’t hear the elevators or really any noise from the hallway. We thoroughly enjoyed staying on the 26th floor. We spent a couple of hours in the very late afternoon enjoying drinks on the balcony and I napped on the comfortable chaise lounge. We ordered breakfast one morning and the service was good with a nice set up presentation on our lovely balcony.

We spent the majority of all days at the PC pool on the 12th floor. As you enter the PC pool there is a Butler assigned to the pool monitoring the guest to ensure only PC guest are using the pool. The pool was very nice with sufficient lounge chairs, towels and floats. We had great service all week by Carlos our waiver and Ismael the Bartender.

The food was overall good. We started our 1st night at the Bluewater Grill and the food was not good and one side dish was not edible. I did speak to the chef and explained our issues and I couldn’t really tell if he was appreciative of the comments or annoyed. On night 2 we ate at Olie’s and had a good dining experience with live entertainment. We also ate at Olie’s on night 3 for a “Chef’s Tasting” with group consisting of 8 people and had a lovely experience. On night 4 we dined at Nebbiolo and had a good dining experience with excellence service. On night 5 we dined at Dragons and the food was ok but the service was good. On night 6 we had dinner at The Market Café (Mexican Restaurant) with new friends from Dallas and thought the food and service was good. On our last night we decide to try the Bluewater Grill again with new friends from Wales. At the end of the meal we didn’t think we were at the same restaurant as night 1. The service was excellent, food was very good and a wonderful end to our vacation.

We ate breakfast mainly every morning at the Market Café which is a buffet setting. We did order rancheros eggs and omelets and they were prepared “made to order” and were very good. The breakfast buffet could get old after a week. We ate most of our lunches on the 12th floor grill. The on-site chef prepared grilled fish, hamburgers, chicken and flank steak every day. There was also a mini buffet set up daily. We didn’t try the Market Café for the buffet lunch. We did eat at Sea Salt twice for lunch and thought the food and service was good.

We enjoyed going to The Vine bar nightly before dinner for cocktails. The bartenders provided excellent service. We also enjoyed the Piano Bar several evenings after dinner and the bartender also provided excellent service.

We enjoyed the Coffee Bar. The double espressos and cappuccinos were excellent as well as the staff. The oatmeal cookies were very good and not to sweet.

The Gym is very nice with modern equipment. The gym provided bottled water and nice thick hand towels. The Gym is located on the 12th floor ocean front and if you work out early in the morning you may need your sunglasses. The windows are not tented and there are no blinds, shades etc to block the bright morning sun.

We did participate in Casino night and had a lot of fun. There were lots of evening activities but we were having dinner most nights during evening entertainment so we really didn’t see many of the shows.

We would like to thank Vanessa, our Butler, for providing excellent service. Also, a special thank you to Carolos & Ismael at the 12th floor PC bar/pool. Gustavo, waiter on the activity pool, was also very good. Thank you to Alan on the activity team too for chatting with us during the week. We didn’t participate in any pool activity but Alan still took the time to chat with us.

Areas of improvement:

Spa: I had a 3:00pm appointment on day 2 for a Spa manicure & pedicure. The Spa was running late and my appointment didn’t begin until 3:40. I ask the reception desk why someone didn’t call my room and leave a message but I didn’t receive an response. During the middle of my manicure my manicurist was called out of the glass room and what appeared to be reprimanded by the front desk for running late. Very unprofessional behavior. My 3:00pm appointment didn’t end until 5:45pm. Each service was only suppose to last 50 minutes. In the “Coupon Book” we were given on day 1 were Spa coupons but you are not allowed to use on manicures or pedicures. Because we were PC guest I did receive a 25% discount (I have to request the discount, it was not offered) but to my honest the service was not worth the trouble & time. My manicure only last 3 days and I had to return to the Spa to ask for nail polish remover to remove the chipped polish. I could have asked for my nails to be re-polished but really didn’t want to spend any more time in the Spa.

Activity pool / security: On day 1 after an excellent check in, room assignment and good lunch experience at Sea Salt we decided to hang out at the activity pool for the afternoon. It was around 3:00pm and we easily located lounge chairs but had to locate pool towels. We settled in for the afternoon at the activity pool. It was rather loud which is expected but what is not expected is the allowed behavior of some of the guest. Some guests were throwing a football and hit or came close to hitting guest in and around the pool including us. The football didn’t hit us but hit underneath our chair. We were very surprised that this behavior we observed went on for at least 30+ minutes before security addressed the guest bad behavior. Honestly during the entired week we were surprised how rarely we saw security around the beach access area. It appeared there were no security monitoring who entered the property. Unless you want to engage or be around “spring break” behavior I would stay clear of the activity pool. We witnessed guys in the pool with beer bongs and guest using pool floats as bars consisting of approximately 30 drinks. We went to the activity pool a few items and 1 afternoon was enjoyable and the other 2 afternoons not so much.

We paid a good price for our vacation including airfare and feel based on what we paid we had an excellent trip. Everything was not perfect with we felt the majority of the staff exceed in providing excellent service. I don’t know if we will return to the Secrets The Vine basically due to the Cancun location but have decided to consider their other AMResort properties for future vacations.

Room Tip: Preferred Club Suites offer the best views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets The Vine Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!