“Not quite what the name suggests...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandos Cancun Luxury Resort

You added Sandos Cancun Luxury Resort to your Saves list
Sandos Cancun Luxury Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulcan Km 14 Manzana 53 Lote 37 1 | Hotel Zone, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #24 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Not quite what the name suggests...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 8 nights between 2nd and 10th of July. Let me start by saying I liked it and it's a very decent hotel, but it isn't exactly the height of luxury. In part, my own experience may have been ruined by the hotel being at around 25% occupancy while I was there

Pros

Fantastic pool area, three pools all nice and clean
Great poolside disabled access (though I'm not disabled I noticed loads of handy wheelchair ramps)
The staff were all friendly and attentive, although I'm an all inclusive tipper that always helps!
Room was clean
Right on the beach
Three decent restaurants and a tasty snack bar

Cons

The buffet wasn't a buffet - on four nights out of the eight and on one night wasn't even open
The poolside snack bar doesn't have ice cream! In the heat of the day that'd be nice
The turn down service was erratic, they came on two nights - it was weird just having it twice
When I asked the concierge for some advice they tried to sell me a 'holiday club' - timeshare essentially
The fire alarm had two false alarms on two seperate nights

In short, it's not out of this world luxury, but it's nice enough.

Room Tip: I just had a basic room. It was alright.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed here in April 2013. We were booked for grand Bahia coba but they over booked and offered to send us to Sandos Cancun. So we moved. Absolutely loved it...the food was over the top...the staff soo professional...accommodations luxurious with plenty of drawers for storage. I brought a lot of bathing suits with me!! Unfortunately I left a drawer full of them behind...worth a small fortune :-( the staff got right on it found them and Fedx them home to me. The guest service manager Lourdes Larrondo and Norma at the concierge desk were extremely helpful. We will definitely be back! I would recommend this resort to anyone who enjoys the finer things in life and some night life too!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Buford, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Arrival- Upon arrival they make you feel very pampered. They offer cold towels, a rose for the ladies, and a glass of champagne. They even got my husband a beer right away. Alfredo greeted us and ever since our first meeting, he remembered our names and greeted us every other time we saw him. He is truly a joy to talk to and we enjoyed looking for him everytime we went through the lobby. He is a great "face" for the front door.

Room-Very clean, beautiful bathroom, comfortable bed(which is SUPER important.) I loved the fact that they stocked the bathroom with Q-tips and makeup remover pads. Nice little detail. Never once had a problem with the room being clean. Nothing was ever stolen, however there is an in room safe.

Beach/Pools-The water at the beach is incredible. It's a beautiful blue and is pretty to look at. As far as the roughness...it is rough. Most can't swim in it. We went out and basically stood on the sandbar and cooled off. The cabanas on the beach are first come, first serve. They go relatively quick, but there were plenty of lounge chairs available every day. No problem there. The pools are very clean and beautiful and great to just relax in and watch the ocean, however, they are warm. Yes, the sun is hot, yes, the water heats up, so we can't complain much here. I used the showers down by the beach when I wanted to cool off.

Pool drink service- Irving made this trip for me. He really is awesome. He is so friendly and happy and genuinely seems to enjoy meeting people and taking care of them. I recommend to anyone going to this resort-ask for him and take care of him with a good tip. You will not be disappointed and he deserves it.

Food-The food really is top notch here, and I can say that we are pretty picky. There was only one meal that we did not enjoy and we were here a full week. Seasons is wonderful and the menu does change. We didn't figure that out until our last night or we would have eaten there every night. Keep in mind with Seasons that it is developed as a 4 course tasting menu. We heard complaints from others that the portions were not enough, but for me and my husband it was perfect. They are also very accommodating if you wanted to add on a lobster tail or a piece of fish to make your entrée meal bigger. We were ranting and raving about the food and the Executive Chef came out and met us. What a nice touch. The person that really was great was our server at Zango, Arturo. He was awesome. Very on top of things, constantly refilling your water, very personable, and he made us laugh. We started requesting him every time we ate at Zango.

Room Service-It's funny because the food is awesome here except the late night room service. Keep in mind that we were ordering after 12:00AM, so maybe earlier in the day or night it's just fine. Do NOT judge the food by the room service. We ordered a pizza late night and it was not good but the pizza's by the pool during the day rock.

Alcohol-Spot on. They have it all in the liquor department. All of your premiums that you are accustomed to. As far as beer, you are looking at Sol, Tecate, and Dos Equis. We were cool with that, but they do not have Corona. They also stock your mini fridge with beer.

Entertainment-Ricardo, Alfonso, and Mauricio really have a good thing going on. They like each other and have fun with each other and I think that makes for a good team. They won't harass you if you say "no" to an activity either, which is nice. They try to get you involved but if you say no, they will not pressure you, like at some other resorts. They also get involved with games and activities and enjoy them with the guests instead of staring at you from the sidelines. They make you feel like you are their friends and I liked that. I have terrible volleyball skills and never play but they encouraged me and laughed with me, not at me. It was actually fun! On a side note, as someone who speaks little to no Spanish, it was nice that they were able to help me if I did have a hard time explaining to another employee a drink request, or if I had a question about an excursion, etc. All 3 of them speak great English and can communicate very well. This is a huge bonus.

Spa-The spa was very nice. It was relaxing. I had a 50 minute relaxation massage but went in an hour early to enjoy all of the "wet areas." Karla was my guide through that process and was very professional and explained everything. I loved the cold plunge. It was an adrenaline rush! The prices of the spa in my opinion are a bit high but the good news, is that they run specials every day which will be listed on a scroll that you will receive in your room the night before. I would suggest seeing what those are before booking.

Activities/Nightlife-The penthouse party was well done. The decorations were beautiful, the water drum show was really awesome and something not seen everyday. They give away prizes also. My suggestion would be that at the end of all of the bottles and massages given away that everyone's name gets thrown back into the bowl for a chance to win the free nights. There were several complaints about that, but it's an easy fix! My suggestion with activities and nightlife is to really try to plan something every night that will last at least 3 hours and be fun for everyone. Instead of just doing "Minute to Win It," have a full on game night with several different game shows or board games. We didn't want to go downtown to the clubs every night but we didn't want to sit around talking at BarONE either. Something in the middle is really what needs to be worked on. Also, back up plans. If karaoke gets cancelled because of the rain, what can be a solid plan b? You have an incredible staff ready and willing to make it happen which is a great starting point.

BarONE-They made great drinks. They really did. Everything was mixed well, and they were great about giving suggestions on places to see, things to do, etc. Lorenzo and "Nacho Libre" were a great team and kept us laughing many a late night. Clara was so sweet and dealt with us like a champion.

Overall-I really enjoyed this resort. It's smaller, but I think that allows for more personal attention and service. The staff really is incredible here. They made it totally worth it. The food is impressive, the drinks are strong and varied, pools and beach are clean. Nighty entertainment, could use a little more, that is my only suggestion.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 4 night in July. Check in was fast. Wonderful staff at the front desk. Upgraded to balcony room. There was an issue with our luggage being brought up (took 2 hours). The hotel was nicely decorated. The pool area was great. Never really felt crowded. Salvador at the pool was awesome. He befriended us at a bus stop, very helpful with directions before we even knew he worked at the hotel. The food was good, but the buffet was kind of boring. Breakfast had everything under the sun. We were looking forward to Mexican food for dinner, never had any on the buffet during the stay. The gym equipment was outdated. They had teas and nice exercise/yoga room.
Beach area was great. Disliked that some guest threw towels on beach beds and left, didn't come back for 4 hrs. Need to keep an eye out or make a rule. Lucky we got one early.
Bottom line, I would stay there again for the great staff. I really do not like mega resorts, this fit the bill.

Room Tip: Get balcony room.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We are just about to leave the Sandos Luxury Resort after a one week stay. We thoroughly enjoyed every aspect our stay. The service was outstanding from the front door, restaurants, bars, pool-side staff, spa staff... We would like to make special mention of a few incredible staff members: Josefina in the spa was by far the best masseur I have ever had, Carolina in the hydrotherapy portion of the spa was so sweet and helpful and we were privileged to be waited on by two very fun, detailed and committed amigos Arturo Gio and Emir. Thr gym and fitness studio are also well-equipped, clean and up-to-date. We would highly recommend the Sandos Luxury Resort to our friends.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that overlooks the water/beach. It is gorgeous.
Waxhaw
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This place is absolutely amazing! The food is not all inclusive by any means, the presentation is amazing and the staff is awesome. Everyone here wants to make sure that you are having a great time. The rooms are great, the fridge stocked with water, candy, and beer at no extra cost. The views are stunning, and the whole place is just perfect. This hotel is mainly for adults and families with small children, where they can stay and just relax. LuLu is awesome, and makes sure there is plenty to do at the resort. Ricardo and Alfredo do a great job at the pool and get the guests involved. I traveled here with a friend to teach yoga and aqua fit, and we had an absolute ball here and can not wait to go back. I have stayed at other places in Cancun, and nothing compares to the say at the Sandos. You will not be disappointed here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed 1 night at Sandos Resort at the end of a 5 day trip to the area. We loved it. The lobby is beautiful and staff is welcoming. The beach is breathtaking and we enjoyed lodging on the Swing Beds reading a good book, sipping a cold, drink delivered by our friendly waiter. We both left knowing we'd like to return one day and we're finally planning our next trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandos Cancun Luxury Resort? Share your experiences!