“RELAX,RELAX,RELAX” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience Resort

Save Saved
You added Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience Resort to your Saves list
Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulcan KM 14 Manzana 53 Lote 37 1 | Hotel Zone, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #18 of 172 hotels in Cancun
Macbook33
“RELAX,RELAX,RELAX”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I was very anxious to get to the resort especially since I did my research and I read exceptional reviews on this resort. My husband and I along with another couple had a great time, the water was amazing and the pool as well. I will have to say that there is room for improvements since the hotel is so beautiful and the price is so...pricey :)....I will have to comment on the staff a little bit...and maybe it is mostly a management issue. I belive that there should be more employees for the volume of guests.Sometimes we were forgotten and we would have to ask for our drink as many as 3-4 times, it did get a bit furstrating at times. Overall we are not stubborn picky people, so I am speaking from an average person point of view. I strongly believe they can do better, hire more staff etc. I also think they didn't have enough entertainment, since there were only 2 guys pretty much taking care of that every day,it wasn't a big group like you see in many resorts. The spa is amazzzing, Andres gave me thebest massage I ever had in my life, and the relaxation there is top notch, it is worth every penny. One small issue I had with the spa was the hair services. My friend and I decided to have our haid done for New Years, it was not such a great decision. The ladies there are not too experienced with this and at some point I was getting banged with the blow dried in the head ...and soon I had 3 women try to do my hair,NOT too great :) but yet again I don't let these small things take away from my sweet time there!! I really enjoyed the stay but it would be awesome if they improve just a bit, they have the potential!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Web Relations C, General Manager at Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing with all the Trip Advisor community your experience at Sandos Cancún.

It is a pleasure to know that you could indulge at Spa del Mar, we will let know our masseuse that you really enjoyed of your massage. All of these beautiful words keep motivated our team and we truly appreciate them.

I take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenient at the hair salon and with the service at the pool area, we will be working on it with our staff.

Do not hesitate to come back to Sandos Cancun for another relaxing vacation and to allow us to show you our improvements for a real Luxury Experience.

1,212 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Laval, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have been travelling for over 15 years... and almost everywhere Europe, Asia, the Americas the Caribeans and it is the first time I am writing a review ( people from Trip advisor should read it! )

I travel always in business class on planes and 4 or 5 stars Hotels, for all Inclusive I always take 5 stars... because I know that LUXURY MEANS NO COMPROMISE

I have been several times to Mexico and at least 3 times to the Cancun Area...For this vaccation, my Girl Friend and myself wanted something special for Christmas... So we went on trip advisor... and we selected the top 3 Luxury Hotels and we called them, we found the reviews on Sandos Good so we reserved

WHAT A BIG MISTAKE... this hotel should NEVER be ranked no 2 ( trip Advisor should review that very seriously ... )

There is no way a 5 stars Hotel would be like that...

The problem is that they are selling this Hotel as a 5 stars Luxury experience ...but it is not

We had a VIP Lagoon suite in the 6th floor... and the suite is very Nice and could be rated as 5 Stars Luxury... but that's about it...

The Hotel has 3 swiming pools but only one Bar outside near the pools, so... with 240 rooms full let's say at least 550 guests... imagine on ONE BAR.... how that would look like...???

Yes they had 5 or 6 people arround to take orders... but they had only 2 guys at the BAR and with Training on their Badges...

The Pools are Nice and I read in some reviews that they were not heated... I mean nobody will heat a pool in Mexico , but in fact because the sun is off the pools at 12 then they get cooler in the sfternoon... but that's OK

The Tennis Court... what a Battle field... the 4 stars Hotel next door had a very nice EMPTY one they should probably make a deal with them to use their TEnnis Court instead of claiming they had one... it is really dangerous to get up their... it could be repaired

I have been playing Tennis for 20 years ... imagine how disapointed I was when I saw this...

The Gym is good ... I have seen better but it is acceptable, ...

The Spa is Average... you know everybody is trying to sell you a SPA experience... they had nothing special

The Food... here again they had a big MESS overthere...

1- they had 2 a la carte restaurant... the Japaneese where the food quality is good , BUT the service is average, they even serve you the Soupe as Desert because they forgot to give it to you as a second service... so it is even cold... this never happen in a luxury experience...

We have dinner there twice and the food is good the rest is average

2- the other restaurant a la Carte... is messing up when you order rare steak you get it well done... we had Dinner there 2 times, the second Time we had the right order and good service simply because Fabien le Maitre d'hotel took care of us personnally...

The buffet... it is average so we had to go outside to get some good food...

The breakfast, on Dec 25th what a mess 20 minutes to get a coffee because they have like 100 seat for 550 Guest so in the Rush they are lost...
Ok the management did react so on the Dec26th they oppenned another restaurant for breakfast... not fully operational, No toaster for the Bread, no vegetables for the Omlette... but at least we had a coffee within 2 minutes...

You see I am a business man ... if I know in December my Hotel will be full the I will anticipate the problem and open 2 restaurants instead of reacting backwards... I have never seen that in a 5 stars Hotel...

Now the good words... they are trying to please everybody... but you simply can not

This used to be the OLD Meridien Hotel, it was well renovated and redesigned BUT

1- The Hotel is good for Disabled or Handicaped people... because they have ramps everywhere and in fact it was the First time in 15 years of travelling that I see so many families with disabled people in a Hotel... I would like to thank the Hotel for offering such a place for these families because they need it...

2- Kids are very welcomed over there, I am a father and I know that seeing Santa on the Beach coming from the Sky is magical... BUT ONLY FOR KIDS... so the big stage that they have done could have been far away from the Bar they had... imagine the crowd...

I think this review resume honestly very well the Hotel..

Room Tip: take on the 6th, 7th or 8th floor, ocean front suite if available
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking part of your valuable time to write this review about your recent stay at Sandos Cancún.

As you mentioned Sandos has though in the comfort of all our guests so our facilities for handicaps includes spacious rooms and ramps all over the Resort.

Considering that in Christmas season families travel with kids we planned special activities for them during the day that was very appreciated by several families.

We thank you for all of your positive criticism, all of our guests suggestions are taken into consideration and important for us, as this encourages us to constantly improve our service.

We truly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again at Sandos Cancún, so that for this time we can reach your expectations and you can experience the real level of service that distinguishes us and that other travelers like you have experienced and which has ranked us as top on this important site.

Kind regards!
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I probably would have put 4.5 but that wasn't an option and I mostly liked it. Check-in they gave my wife a rose and towels to wash the sweat off our faces and orange juice. Room was clean. Not a single bug (and my wife will find the bug if its there somewhere). Everything is included including the mini-bar and room service. Only problem we had was something malfunctioned in our door lock so we were locked out twice. The first time they fixed it and it broke the next day. The second time they replaced it and it worked fine the rest of the trip. The beach is beautiful like all hotels on the strip in Cancun. Great pools, volleybell nets, good entertainments peeps (mauricio and alfonzo), great beach waiters/staff (Flor/Elias), and lots of towels. We were there the week before Christmas and at the begining of the week it was easy to get a sun tanning chair but towards the end of Christmas it was hard to get one on the beach. However if you asked Elias he would find one for you and bring it down. The water was great, the food you ordered on the beach was great (my wife didn't like the cheese Pizza... she thought the "margarita" pizza would come with tomatoes and olives but it didn't (not that it promised to come with it, just that's what other margarita pizzas came with).

Cleaning staff never missed a day or a spot in our room, no theft and very friendly. Mini bar was always restocked with water and M&M's. The A La Carte dinners were very good. We didn't like the dinner Buffet at Zango as much as some others here have noted, but I think that was a temporary thing for the busy Christmas time. The buffet was just your average buffet food. But the A La Carte was high quality food. I must of have two or three steaks and some other nice dishes. Breakfast buffet was great. The Spa was great. Pricey on first view but after haggling and using your resort credit its comparable to back home. They have you do hydrotherapy (ie steam room, sauna, cold bath, hot tub) before the treatment and give you chocolate covered strawberries and champagne afterwards. It was extremely relaxing. You can go off the resort and get a lower quality massage for say $35 compared to $80 on the resort (after haggling).

No time shire pitches for us... Remember lie about your age. You are always under 25 in Cancun and if you're not you recently went bankrupt and have no credit card... Even though you presented one at check-in... :D I hate those things but that has always kept me away from the pitches.

Nightly entertainment was a great bonus we did not expect.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the North/West side. Better view of ocean.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Web Relations C, General Manager at Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

We truly appreciate you to share your feedback about your recent stay at Sandos Cancún.

It is a pleasure to read that you really enjoyed of our facilities with our entertainment team organizing activities to keep fit and entertained our guests during the day and with differente variety of shows every night.

Spa del Mar is definitely a place to indulge and relax, starting before your treatment with our hydrotherapy circuit to complete your experience.

It would be our honor to host you again at Sandos Cancún to have another Luxury Experience.

Kind regards!
New Orleans, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

ok, i could go on and on here
this place was truly great for kids
and the staff was 90% super nice
but.....
we had the aztec 2 step the whole time
they run the place like nazi school marms
the reservation restaurants and gym folks are mean and nasty
they fumigated by the kids pool clouds of toxic smoke in the middle of the day
we had light bulbs that never work
and you can drink the water, but they charge outrageous prices for bottled water
this list is too long for me to write it all
we were glad for our lad but will never return or recommend

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Web Relations C, General Manager at Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience Resort, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for takeing the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at Sandos Cancún Luxury Experience Resort.

We are very concerned about your comments due to in Sandos Cancún, bottled water is available with no charge at all of our bars, restaurants, room service and mini bar, we are very sorry if there was a misunderstanding regarding to this service.

Sandos Cancún is mostly known for its chill encironment and romantic atmosphere for couples and young families, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again and make you live a real Luxury Experience.

new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

After a rocky start, whether blame is Travelocity of Sandos we finally got a room.. Bring all confirmation!!! Room was OK, clean, stayed 4 days the refrigerator was only filled once, after I called. That was annoying. The food buffet in Zangos was amazing..everything and anything, and fresh!! The wait staff and bartenders are the nicest and most competent around. Ithiel should be very proud of them!! There were 12 of us and they did everything to accommodate us. Thank you to the bartenders and wait staff, you helped make our vacation terrific. Always Friends. :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing Sandos Cancún. We are very glad to know that you had a pleasant stay with us.

All of our guests truly enjoy our top notch buffet breakfast at Zango with fresh and delicious options like cold station, omelet station, fruits and cereals. We appreciate your kind words for our staff, is always regarding to know that our service contributes for you to have a Luxury Experience.

We will be really glad to welcome you back at the Resort for another terrific vacation at Sandos Cancún.

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We spent Christmas 2012 at Sandos "luxury" with all our family flying in from across the world. Based on reviews we had read and the facilities described, we felt this was the perfect place for us to spend together as a family and treat ourselves to "all inclusive 5 star Luxury."

Sadly, the hotel did not live up to our expectations. Our prepaid airport transfer Had no signage and we spent an hour searching for our pick up team to get us to the hotel. We were due to arrive at the hotel for dinner at 9pm but it was gone 10 when we finally arrived.

Throughout the holiday, the wifi in the rooms and the hotspots did not work, which was extremely frustrating when trying to conduct work at home and coordinate with family their arrival times. The reason for the lack of functioning wifi was "apple products do not work so well here?!?" between us we had apple and android items none of which were able to connect to the wifi.

there was no swim up bar - as advertised.

The restaurants were completely understaffed, which was such a shame because those who were working, really we're trying their best to look after everybody but they just couldn't cope with the number of guests. The managers at each restaurant did not manage, we repeatedly had to ask for drinks, and resorted to venturing to the bar area and getting our own drinks to accompany our meal in the "a la carte" restaurant. There were only ever 3-4 waiting staff visible at the vey busy breakfast and evening services yet there were over 60 tables in both the a la carte restaurant and the buffet restaurant.

We had to ask three times during the week for our rooms to be cleaned which I appreciate on Christmas day is a hard task because no one wants to be working on Christmas day, but again, the response from reception when we ask why our rooms hadn't been cleaned was "we are busy, it's Christmas!!" which obviously we were all well aware of, and I'm presuming the directors of the hotel were when they put a premium cost on bookings for this high season time of year.... They just approved to forget to staff the hotel properly.

Sadly we found out on Christmas Day as we arrived to the a la carte restaurant, that the special Christmas dinner for Christmas Day we had reserved for our group, had indeed happened the night before, on Christmas Eve!!!!!! So no prior warning, no reminders, no apology, and to be quite honest no Christmas feeling at all for us on Christmas day night. We were all extremely disappointed especially given that my mother had treble checked with the booking staff throughout the days leading up to Christmas that we would be ok with our group of 7 people.

Adding to this, the Christmas show the hotel's entertainment team had put on, decided to change venues at the lasSt minute, again without any warning, and again we missed out on that.

Room service was notoriously slow, even by Caribbean standards. When it turned up....

The bar ran out of water a number of times and that was that. No attempt to get any more in until the next day.

On our final day the hotel transport service outdid themslves by forgetting to confirm our pick up time to return us to the hotel. Only by chance and a few stern words in Spanish to express our disappointment and concern to the reception did we manage to get on a Shuttle and get to the airport in time.

Generally there was a distinct lack of organisation throughout the hotel. Which was a real shame because the hotel is a nice size, the staff tried their best but you felt like they didn't quite know what they were doing.

I would like to confirm that the pools were lovely, the gym seemed nice and well equipped, the spa looked gorgeous if quite pricy for the services. Room, bar, and waiting service staff were very courteous, friendly and pleasant, and that the hotel tried to accommodate for people's needs with the entertainment team and scheduled activities but overall the managers were disorganised, inexperienced, and slow whilst it felt like the hotel was managing to do half a job and not quite seeing through to the end what they should have been doing.

I have stayed in lesser starred resorts at half board ratings, and had better quality food, superior service from the staff (as in, there were plenty of staff to cope with the number of guests and much slicker organisation) and generally run much more efficiently, so I'm not sure how Sandos luxury can claim to be a) luxury, b) 5 stars and justify how much it charges customers to stay there when it doesn't live up to it's promises.

Because something disappointing happened every day. By the end of the holiday it was just too much to bear after knowing we had paid more than we could really afford to be there. I would definitely NOT recommend this as a hotel to stay in over Christmas at least. Perhaps during other times of the year they are more "on It" But Not in December.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and my parents stayed here end of October early November and had a very pleasant time. Having stayed a several resorts in the Cancun area, what I liked about this resort was that it was small and every thing was very accessible within a short walking distance. The hotel is very upscale in their furnishings as well as the overall appearance. The gym is first class and better than most gyms you would become a member of in your home town. We visited the spa two times for massages and enjoyed the experience immensely. Before we even received our massages we took advantage of the very plush facility using the whirlpool,sauna,steam room as well as the cold water tank. It was a true spa experience. At the time of our stay the hotel was not full to capacity due to to the change over from the Le Meridian Hotel as it was only about 10 to 20 percent full, so we were very spoiled by the staff. The young gentleman at the pool (Salamander--I think) made sure everyday that we had our chairs with towels on them by the ocean or on the swing chairs by the pool. They never waited around expecting tips but I am sure it was helpful that we remembered them. The back half of the pool does get shaded by mid afternoon due to the Secrets hotel but it's nice to have an area out of the sun. They did provide some entertainment a fire show and a band one night with an outdoor barbecue. The only negative that I would give this resort was that the food on one night was sub par (fish), but the rest of our stay the food was very good. When we told the waiter that we were unhappy with the overcooked fish, the management was on it stat with a replacement. I do know through talking with management that a new food and beverage person was hired so maybe the kinks will get out. The Japanese restaurant was really good so was the Italian night. The breakfast buffet is very close to a 5 star. I plan to return back to this resorts as it is now one of my favorites!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Web Relations C, General Manager at Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience Resort, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate all of your feedback of your recent stay with your family at Sandos Cancún.

It is a pleasure to know that you could indulge at Spa del Mar, we take pride of the Spa being one of the greatest at Cancún. Top notch facilities with 14 treatment cabins, hydrotherapy circuit and professional therapists make this place special and unique for relaxation.

We are very honored to be considered as one of your favorite Resort, we will be more than glad to welcome you again at Sandos Cancún for another Luxury vacations.

Warm regards!
Director

Been to Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience Resort? Share your experiences!