“Pick someplace else if you want a good night's sleep!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Cancun, All Inclusive, All Suites Resort

You added The Royal Cancun, All Inclusive, All Suites Resort to your Saves list
The Royal Cancun, All Inclusive, All Suites Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Kukulcan Boulevard Km 4.5 Hotel Zone | Lotes C2 & C2A, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly The Royal Cancun)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Spring Special Sale!
Ranked #18 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Taipei, Taiwan
“Pick someplace else if you want a good night's sleep!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I usually wait until leaving before posting, but after two nights of no sleep due to loud guests with unruly children, I had to say something! We booked an entire week. Sure hope I survive. I tried tweeting my concerns, several times, with nary a response from management. Do they not understand that they'll never get a second chance to make a good first impression? I will update my review at the end of my stay if it's warranted.

After a grand outside entrance, inside the RC is only a slight step up from some Belizean or PH hotels I've stayed in. They were going to put us on the first floor overlooking the maintenance building. My sis charmed our way into a 2 bedroom one bath overlooking one of the properties two pools.

Let me be clear: there is nothing luxe about the room we were assigned. The furnishings look to be straight out of a Mexican IKEA. One bedroom contained a King ( and overlooks the pool) the other, smaller one, 2 twin beds. What hotel doesn't have two larger sized beds?

I thought this was a suite, ala residence inn. Nope. We had to literally count all the items in the kitchen and turn in a written inventory. Seriously? Resort is too generous a word. For $100/night on a non-holiday week, I think we could have done better. This property has been around since the '70s as a timeshare. If you are not an "owner", prepare to be bombarded with all sorts of "offers" designed to lure you into becoming one. Personally, I don't find that relaxing. On the plus side, the place is definitely kept clean and the free wifi is better than many places Stateside.

The concierge is helpful, hoping to sell guests on a timeshare presentation for reduced prices on tourist outings. OK, I fell for it. My 1.5 hour "buy here" session saved me $50 on a Chichen Itza outing and the promise of $125 credit to cover my Mexican cooking class.

Seaside or Poolside: claim your chair early (7am is not too early) using towels obtained from the hotel. Pool toys are sometimes available.

We took the R-2 bus (10.5 pesos vs. 160 for a taxi) to WalMart (I swore I'd never set foot in one again, but when in Rome...). We needed groceries and the Royal tienda downstairs is a royal ripoff. Get change for bus fare from the front desk and walk just outside the resort to the bus shelter. Tell the bus driver "voy al walmart" and he'll holler out the stop. I asked the ladies in the seat in front of us, "donde esta walmart?" and luckily that is where they were headed. They were kind enough to let us tag along and teach us the word for shopping: comprar.

Sunday afternoon is games time. The staff comes up with fun ways to get people interacting with each other (water balloon toss) and offers prizes (a resort-logo hat).

3-6 is happy hour: half-priced drinks. I tried a non-alcoholic version of the chocolate monkey. Delish, but with tip: $3.85.

La Palapa restaurant served up a so-so grouper meunière with steamed veggies and rice. The key lime pie I ordered for dessert was easily the worst I've ever tasted. Total: $28 USD, including tip. Perhaps after several high-priced drinks, that might seem palatable.

No cash is allowed at the resort. If you don't opt for the all inclusive ($89pp/pd) option you must use your door card to purchase anything and decide whether to be billed in pesos or dollars.

You can swim up until 10pm. Apparently there is no curfew on noise. A group of kids were up running around the hotel, screaming and yelling until 1am! I finally had to get out of bed and walk to the front desk to get it to stop. Then, at 6 am, the people on the floor above us brought their crying baby outside and let their toddler run around. Same thing the second night at 10:40pm. Tip: if you value sleep on your vacation, either go to a resort with better soundproofing or to an adults-only place.

Room Tip: Stay at a different property, perhaps the Royal Sands or Royal Hacienda.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Czech first
Sutton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed at the Royal Islander for took the shuttle to visit the Royal Cancun. What a beautiful resort!!!

We toured a villa and were impressed with the rooms. The resort has a European feel to it. It's on the smaller side but that doesn't seem to be an issue. The beach water is perfect and crystal clear.

I would say the difference between this one and the Islander (or Caribbean or Sands) is that you have to take public transportation to get to restaurants vs. being a little closer to some. This is NOT a deal breaker for us. We welcome a little travel to dinner. Another difference is that the beach water is calm at the Royal Cancun vs. the Islander, Caribbean and Sands. Our boys prefer the pools at their age so for us the Islander was okay for us.

We are going to try to stay at this place next time we visit Cancun.

Stayed May 2015
Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We were there for 4 night- 5 days. My overall impression was nice super clean resort, friendly staff and the food was not that great. No night life. Annoying/unnecessary key card scan.

It is roughly 20 -25 minutes from the CUN international airport. Maybe a little faster without traffic. If you don’t have shuttle, I HIGHLY recommend USA Transfers. See me review for them.

Let me start out by saying these other reviews below are fairly accurate. This primarily is a timeshare resort, now they are mixing timeshare folks and regular tourists. This has some downside. For ex. they need to scan your key card for everything so they can keep track. They might move you from one room to another on Saturday to accommodate the timeshare people. They said that Expedia tells you this but we booked through Expedia and no one told us.

The resort is small but beautiful and packed with staff. I have to agree that the staff were all friendly and they went out of their way to accommodate us. This resort had older folks and young families.

The rooms were really nice. Try to get one with a resort view or ocean view. Our room had a kitchenette, living room, small room (2 beds), bathroom, master bedroom with a king bed. The kitchenette have a stove, microwave, fridge and a coffee maker. Maybe a blender. It also had utensils, pots and plates for a table of 8. The bathroom was standard but it did have a blow dryer. Also, you can plug in your chargers, adapter, straightening iron, etc… without any problems. The room has a huge safe which was easy to use. 2 TV in the room and an iron. They also had a dvd and a stereo system. The dvd came in handy for our kids. I think it was bluray. Wife was happy there was a stove so we can boil water and clean the baby’s bottles.

The water is safe at the resort. They provide you with bottled water at your request. I think it was STA MARIA brand.

They do offer room service. You can pretty much get anything on the menu. It took roughly anywhere from 30mins to 1hr to get the food. Depending on the time of day. The food is a hit or miss. But the chocolate cake was good!

They also have a gym which was pretty nice.

Nice little gem – They have their own grocery store and the prices were reasonable! They had small sandwiches, some baked goods, drinks, milk, sunblock, medicine, vegetable, souvenirs, beach toy, hats, shirts, etc… they had pretty much everything you can want. I thought it was really nice they had this especially in such a close proximity.

The beach was nice. I really like the fact that you could walk out pretty far because the water was very shallow. Overall it was clean and nice.

Night life: NONE – I really mean none. Nothing is happening. We wished they had something –anything would have been nice. Maybe a little show on the beach.

WIFI- was good in the room. It didn’t really work at other places. Intermittent.

Food – You have 2 main places to eat. La Palapa (buffet) and Trattoria (Italian). You have a 3rd place near the kid’s pool also.
La Palapa was your standard buffet at a resort. But the food was just ok. I don’t know why but these guys know how to cook fish but the beef was very tough and chicken was chewy. The fruit was good and sweet. I was able to find something to eat but overall it was just ok. You can also order from a menu at this place which was nice. I think the best feature was you get to look out at the beach. Great view while you eat. They also had a band playing one night.

Trattoria- was a nice restaurant but you needed reservation. They wouldn’t give us reservations the first day. So we made reservations the next couple days. I thought the portions would be small but they were fairly large. Initially the chicken and beef dishes were not good. I later had the lasagna which was good. Get the dessert (tiramisu, chocolate cake, rocher ice cream etc.). I honestly felt the resort did a great job with desserts. Whether you order in, get it at the buffet or at the Italian restaurant.

Finally we spent most of our time at the kid’s pool. You can order food and drinks right there. I think they had the best fish tacos there. Highly recommend to eat there. They also had shrimp tacos, quesadillas, pizza, fries, etc….

Drinks- I would say the drink were ok also. I didn’t see a lot of top shelf liquor. Red Label - Johnnie Walker was there top shelf scotch. BOOOO!!! -The mixed drinks were not bad. I think the bartender near LA Palapa was the best in making drinks.

Infamous keycard scan – It was quite annoying but you had to scan you card to get towels, order drinks, order food, receive room service, buy from grocery store, etc.. So expect it. It was annoying at times but you always had your key on hand. One time, I ran all the way back to the room to get the camera from La Palapa to find out that the server at the buffet took my card. Had to run back and get the card. Annoying!!

Kids club – sadly we only used the kids club once but we wished we used it more often. It was small and they didn’t have a lot of kids in it. It was safe. You had to register when you walked in. The boys colored, made bracelets and did mask decorations. They had something every hour. Overall, it was a nice feature and a lot of different things for kids to do there.

Ceramic painting – This was also a nice surprise especially for my wife and kids. Right outside the kids club a guy comes around 10:30am and puts out white ceramic figures with black outlines. You take one and paint it right there. After you are done, the guy tells you to come back the next day because he takes it and glazes it for you. It came out really nice and they added some additional designs. The price depended on the figurine you picked, size etc. They had fish, parrots, cross, vases, dishes, minion and a lot more.

If you need an air pump, go to the towel distribution place. They have a pump for beach/pool toys.

Unfortunately, we did see some annoying group of older people there. Maybe timeshare folks. I can’t say everyone was horrible but majority of them were out of control, yelling and cursing. It can be disruptive at a fairly quiet resort.

Overall, we had a great time. It all depends on your outlook. We made the best of the situations and we loved our trip to RC.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Just back from a 1 week stay at the Royal Cancun. We are a family of three – wife, 5 year old son, and me. All in all a great resort with a few caveats that are easily trumped by the exceptional staff at this resort.

I have never encountered such an army of staff at a resort who seem so genuinely happy to be at work, and who work so hard every minute round the clock. Walking anywhere on the resort you will be greeted with a smile and “Hola” by everyone from the maid, to the gardener, to the guy putting loungers back in position. It sets a really nice feel and tone for the place.

This place is CLEAN. That is due wholly to the enormous number of staff members working enormously hard. They never stop. As a result, not a piece of litter can be found anywhere, the loungers are perfectly lined up, the beach is raked smooth and free of seaweed…. and on and on. The place is simply immaculate. When you see how much of a slob some people are (see below) you really appreciate the effort this takes.

The resort is small. We loved this. It took 5 minutes to walk from our room to anywhere else in the resort – to either of the 2 pools, to the beach, to the restaurant, the gym, kid’s club, front desk, market… Forgot something in the room? No prob, I’ll be back in 5.

The kids club was great. There were only a handful of kids there at most times, but that’s actually much better than a crowd of kids. We typically dropped our son off from around 3-5 in the afternoon when the sun had gotten to him and he just needed a break. They usually did movies or some other quiet activity at that time of day. He did a few other activities during the day such as a scavenger hunt, face painting, mask making and a piñata party. Often he’d be in a group of 3 or 4 kids with 3 staff members. Talk about a great ratio.

Both pools are very good, nice and warm. One has a shallow end and attracts more kids there, but there are kids and adults at both. We split our time between them with no real rhyme or reason, except that the “kid’s” pool (without the swimup bar) has really cool lighting after dark.

The beach is amazing. Don’t let people fool you into thinking only the “side of the seven” has that nice blue Caribbean water. It is true that there are seaweed beds offshore that are dark colored, but for a few hundred feet off the beach is just beautiful water that you can float in for hours. As you face the water, hang a right and walk past the resort boundary. It seems like somewhat of a public beach area (no resort) but there is a huge area of the most blue, gorgeous calm water that you will ever see. We spent lots of time swimming over there.

Okay, the caveats. The food is just okay. We did not try the Italian restaurant, partly because another family said it wasn’t worth it, but mostly because we ate dinner in our bathing suits outside every night at La Palapa. We just could not tear ourselves away from the beach! The buffet was good the first day or two, and then it just got blah. Then we tried ordering off the menu and found the food to be much better. Anyway, food is not a big deal to us. We need sustenance to keep us going and that’s about all we care about. If you are a foodie, you will be disappointed, however.

We did get in a lunch at Captain’s Cove and were very impressed. My advice is to have lunch there as we walked in without a reservation, were seated at the best table right on the lagoon, and given top notch speedy service, which is important with a 5 year old.

The slobs. I think these must have been timeshare people, and maybe we just hit a week where a big group of them were all there together. But seriously, talk about a disgusting display of gluttony. These overly obese people would claim their chairs early in the morning (totally not necessary), and spend all day within feet of the pool bar just eating, drinking and smoking all day long and into the night. They got to be a little annoying because they act like they own the place, and actually were the loudest and most obnoxious people in the whole resort, but ultimately we chalked it up to really good people watching and had a few chuckles at their expense.

Bottom line, if you are a family (especially a family with younger kids) looking for a smaller resort, and top quality food is not a huge deal, then look closely at this place. We are considering going back next year.

P.S. – if you want an on-beach massage, walk to the right, just past the resort boundary, and there are excellent masseuses there daily. My wife and I did a 30 minutes couples massage for $50 total ($25 ea), and the girl who massaged me had hands of magic. My wife enjoyed hers so much that she returned later in the week. I can’t compare to the massages provided by the people on the resort beach, except the off resort place is way way cheaper.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Longmeadow, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Spent a week with (Sat-Sat) with my wife and 17 yr old son. Beach front. If you read the reviews here you'll know exactly what to expect. Property very well maintained, rooms large and well appointed. Beach is nice. The wifi is great in the room and not so great (or at all) on the beach. The waitstaff is very nice and responsive.

The adjacent public beach is NOT sketchy at all. it was filled with local families enjoying time together. You could walk a fair distance which was nice. The Italian restaurant was good and thanks for the tips provided in other reviews we had no trouble getting into Captain's Cove or El Sisal. Both were worth the very inexpensive bus fare.

The property is, as mentioned, mainly families with small children and an older set enjoying a vacation or retirement.

We paid a visit to the Sands and athough nice, was too big to our liking. To each his own.

If this place doesn't happen to meet one's expectations, it means someone didn't read the numerous reviews here on TripAdvisor...

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

This place is Fun, pool activities with Diana, and LoLo, are fun for everyone. Drinks by Alan at el Mediterranean pool are The Best! (His Specials) ! Killer. Eating at chefs plate 2-3 times is a must, the host is always friendly, though I can't remember his name he remembered ours. Pedro and Michelle are fantastic waiters. Then you come back to your room to find that Victoria the cleaning lady has made some sort of animals with the towels and placed rose petals and chocolate kiss' on the bed. For help with anything, Nancy or Yali are there for you . Like Family with all the staff. Hugs when you leave. And hopes of coming back.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Fair Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This still remains as our favorite vacations ever. A great All-Inclusive package, with all meals, drinks included. The trips were great too, they had a nice variety of options available. The hotel was clean, and staff was so kind and accommodating. Wish we can go back soon!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Royal Cancun, All Inclusive, All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!