“The stay was good, the employees made it all bad for us.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Cancun, an All Suites Resort

Save Saved
You added The Royal Cancun, an All Suites Resort to your Saves list
The Royal Cancun, an All Suites Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Kukulcan Boulevard Km 4.5 Hotel Zone | Lotes C2 & C2A, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly The Royal Cancun)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 172 hotels in Cancun
Seoul, South Korea
“The stay was good, the employees made it all bad for us.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Stayed here in May 2014 for 2 nights as an all inclusive package. Got a beachfront villa and an excellent place to relax. The hotel as such is good, but the people, especially the concierge is REALLY REALLY RUDE and TERRIBLE.

Good:
- Pool, Location, Amenities, Food are all good
- Al inclusive package is very economical especially with the free food from Captains Cove.

Bad
- The hotel assigns you to a person whom you can call at anytime for making reservations, basically someone at your service. Her name was Ariel and she tried hard to sell us tickets to Coco-Bongo. We decided not to buy it and since then she was no more than a stranger to us. My friend fell sick and I went to Ariel's office since the pharmacist could not speak English at all, she was acting all busy and never even acknowledged my need for help, continuing her conversation on the phone. Instead another person in that office came way out of her way to help us. All because she did not get her share by making us go to Coco-Bongo! There was no other reason, because we never interacted after rejecting her "canvasing" for going to the "best night club, the wow place in the whole area".

- The concierge: Upon checkout, DO NOT TAKE TAXIS from the Hotel. They charge you atleast 2 or 3 times the regular fare. The concierge are like bullies who do not let regular taxis get into the hotel. Instead, they have their collection of taxis which the guest is expected to use. Since I read about this ridiculous cheating, form Trip Advisor, I decided to walk out of the hotel, and move towards the main road for getting a taxi. On my way, the gate keeper was very rude to me and he radioed someone in the walkie talkie. This guy came out, stood in front of me with his hotel uniform to scare away the taxis who would have otherwise stopped. He harassed me in direclty by making sure that I do not get a taxi, constantly radioing someone in in walkie talkie. Finally I had to cross the road to the other side for getting a taxi. Thankfully, the bully did not cross the road and went back. Thats when I got a taxi.

Such a treatment for the guests, especially after paying multiple hundred dollars a night for a stay at the royal Cancun. Is this the way you treat your guests? Doesn't the concierge have any training on how to treat the guests? With their huge body and rude attitude, The Royal Cancun deserves an applause for defining the new low in guest treatment.

I hope that you do something about this.

Afterall after spending a lot of money at your resort, isn't it my decision whether to take the taxis with inflated rates from within the hotel, or just walk out and get my own taxi? Its a free world, last time i checked.

Room Tip: Do not stay here until the people are trained better to treat their guests
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

881 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The Gardens are beautiful; the food is very good, and LaTratoria is a welcome addition. Too bad the whole wall waterfall was not reinstated. However, since the intoduction of the "all-inclusive" plan, the service has deteriorated. Waiting for food or drinks from the bar for over 45 minutes is unacceptable. It is obvious that staff has been cut when only two waitresses cover the entire beach area. Many of the staff are complaining since under that plan, their tips are included at a much lower rate that they use to receive. In essense they are working harder for less tips. In addition why bother becoming a member with maintenace fees when for less you can go to expedia.com and get the all-incusive plan with room and airfare included for $750! .

Room Tip: Stay away from Lagoon Side. Traffic will keep you up all night.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Arrived on Saturday for Week 26 (that's how they track things since it's a timeshare) and was pleased. Got there before official check-in time and since the previous occupants had already departed but the room hadn't been serviced, they issued us cardkeys and said we could store our bags in the villa and could use it to change into swimsuits, but that we needed to not unpack until the housekeeping had done their work. It was myself, my sister and my oldest nephew staying in the suite.

Each occupant gets their own card and anywhere within the "The Royal" network the card can be used for drinks, food, gifts, purchases in the resort stores, etc. and when you check out, each card has a breakdown of purchases including totals in both pesos and US dollars.

Had a 2br 1bath suite on the 4th floor overlooking the pool and if I turned my head to the left I could see the Caribbean through the break in the buildings.

The suite was spacious and comfortable and rated for "sleeps 5" but it could have comfortably slept more. King sized bed in the master, 2 twin beds in the 2nd bedroom (that room had a vanity sink in it) and a queen size Murphy bed along with a sofa. Lots of floor space as well so air mattresses could work for little ones. Fully appointed kitchen (stove, microwave, fridge, plates, glasses, pots and pans, utensils, etc.) but they could have put more dish towels (there was only one and no paper towels, but you can buy those).

The safe has an electronic "one time" four-digit lock (you punch in four digits and pressed the lock button) in the closet of the master bedroom. The safe will display the lock code for about three seconds after the lock cycle completes so you can see it took.

The master bedroom also has a small private balcony, big enough for a chair or two but not much else while the master balcony off the sitting room is very spacious and has two chairs and a table.

Over all the suite was very comfortable and well appointed.

The beach area has a number of "palapas" which are basically wooden beach umbrellas that uses a waterproofed grass instead of canvas and four or five lounge chairs and patio chairs for each. There's a pier that juts out into the water and splits the swimming area which is pretty shallow and there are sailboats and paddle boards available.

There's also a "banana boat" (a large inflatable pontoon that gets towed by a jet-ski) as well parasailing and jet-skis available at a fee (not part of the resort but right on the beach).

The staff was friendly and helpful, always willing to offer help and are pretty efficient. The beach restaurant serves a breakfast buffet and will cook omelets and waffles to order (I told them how to make bacon waffles where you have crumbled bacon in the waffle batter) and they were delicious. Drinks were decent, some were weaker than I expected some were better than I expected and their liquor selection tends towards the tropical drinks (rum, tequila, etc.) with other liquors like scotch bordering on the well drink types.

Our concierge was Marco and my brother's family had Noemi and they worked together to serve both of our suites and they did a very good job.

We sat through the presentation where they want to sell you membership in the timeshare and while they were pretty flexible, including offering an "every other year" ownership option, I already have a timeshare membership elsewhere so declined however we did get tickets to Chichen Itza and wristbands for a 6 hour "all inclusive" package at The Royal Sands which is a premium resort within their network where it was pretty much all you can eat and drink. Well worth it in my opinion as we had a great lunch, drinks all day and a very good dinner at the end of the day, for just $25 per person. Note that tips are not included in the price so we did tip our servers in cash.

Note about tipping: Between 10 and 20 percent is reasonable, but for the all inclusive we tipped a bit extra from the very beginning, and I think because of that the wait staff would stop by and ask if we wanted anything every 15 to 20 minutes. Rough breakdown, 20 pesos is about $1.60 US, 50 pesos is just a bit over $4 US, etc. I leave the rest of the math up to you.

While this resort is pretty calm (Example: They have relatively lame karaoke at the Royal Cancun from 6pm to 9:30pm) you do have access to the other resorts in the chain (Using karaoke as an example, the Royal Sands karaoke has a much larger selection and runs until 11:30pm, however the DJ will stop doing karaoke tracks and play a few non-singing dance tracks in a row, which is counter to the idea of karaoke). They have a shuttle service that runs on a rather unusual schedule, however you can take the city buses which come about every five minutes for 9.5 pesos per person, and the driver does make change. If you're not sure of which stop you want, tell the driver where you want to go and he will stop at the nearest bus stop to let you off so you don't really NEED to know the area, just look out the window when the bus stops and get off if you see what you want.

All the resorts in the Royal network offer the same basic amenities so no matter which one you stay at you'll have the same stuff, however each resort caters to a different kind of clientele. The Royal Cancun is a more quiet family environment while the Royal Sands offers more for the younger adult crowd along with being located fairly close to the entertainment section of the hotel zone (Senior Frogs, Mex-Treme, etc.). Pick the resort that will fit your needs. I found the Royal Cancun perfect.

One thing about the resort water supply that you should be aware is that the hot water has a slight sulphur smell when you turn the water on. If you let it run for a little bit the scent will diminish but it never really goes away. That said, you won't smell like sulphur after your shower, so don't worry about it, I just wanted to call it out so you wouldn't be surprised by it or be worried. Just don't drink the water. ;-)

I rated the sleep quality very good because the beds are firm and the air conditioning in the master bedroom doesn't work so well when you have the door shut. I found that keeping the bedroom door slightly ajar allowed the room to cool off sufficiently and stay cool for sleeping.

It was a great experience and I met a lot of really great people there and there's so much to do (touristy tour things) like Xplor, Xcaret, etc. and if you want some down time between excursions, you can't do it all in a week.

Will I go back? Yes. :)

Room Tip: Pool view is the best in my opinion. You can pay extra for the beach view but I don't think it...
Sierra Vista, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We recently spent one week at the Royal Cancun resort. When we arrived we found out about the “all-inclusive” feature and purchased it. The room and its décor were good and we were provided with bathrobes. Each evening our beds were specially prepared for sleep by housekeeping, a fine touch. On Sunday there were various welcoming activities. We could relax and watch as boaters enjoyed the blue waters of this area. This optional all-inclusive chain of resorts allowed us to visit each of the resorts and enjoy their facilities and also offered us a wide variety of dining options. The Captain’s Cove, The Royal Sands, The Royal Islander, Hacienda Sisal and The Royal Haciendas provided excellent dining opportunities, which we enjoyed. The one negative was that despite having our armband, we had to provide our room card for services provided and then, although the tips we already included in the “all-inclusive” package, the bill we were given after each meal stated “tips not included”, which was very confusing. To view a short video clip of the resorts visit: http://youtu.be/a6Q-g-ffqwQ.

NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Spent the week June 28th-July 5th in a ocean view 2 bed 2 bath villa.
Rated 1-5
Cleanliness 5
Unit set up 5
Kitchen equipment 5
Bathrooms 5
Maid service 5
Bars 3 (weak drinks)
Beach 2 (no waves, good for very small children)
Pools 4
Front desk 4
Concierge 5

Checked in on Sat afternoon. Assigned Noemi as Concierge, she was fantastic. Very helpful and suggested good options.
There is a small market in the main building that is good for a quick pick up of food if you don't take the all inclusive option. But you can take a taxi to Superama for about $10USD. For $25 they will take you both ways and wait while you shop. Superama, is owned by Walmart and is their food store only location. MIlk in Mexico tastes very different and is not stored cold.
There are some extra costs that could sneak up on you like laundry and internet printing costs.
The food at both restaurants is good. But can be a little expensive. The breakfast buffet is $280 pesos or about $22 USD.
Because we were there for a week we decided to participate in the time share presentation. We scheduled a breakfast time presentation so we all eat (5 people) for no charge, then our sons left and the wife and I took the tour. The incentives they gave us made it worth it. Breakfast for 5 people, tickets for 5 to Chichen Itza for $50 (normally $89) and 5 "all inclusive tickets to The Sands for $25 (normally $69).
Travel inside the hotel zone can easily be done by taking the city bus. It is safe and cheap, about 80 cents USD. There is no need to spend the money on taxis. The bus stop for the Royal Cancun is right in front of the driveway. The bus drivers will make change for you and when you get on just tell the drivers where you want to get off and they will stop for you. The front windshield of the bus will have the route # on it. The #2 bus will take you everywhere in the hotel zone and to Walmart if you want to go there. The bus comes every 5 minutes.
Places to eat in the hotel zone are everywhere. We ate at Mextreme. Fun place with music and entertainment. 6 adults eat and had 6 mixed drinks for about $160USD not including tip. We also went to Senor Frogs. All ages are welcome, it's a dance club that has food. Families with children under 14 should stay away on Thursday-Sunday. But if you like to dance (we are in our 40's and we do) It's a fun place.
Coco Bongo is a show/dinner/dance club that always has a line out front. There are wristband sellers all over the street. If your not interested the easiest way to get away is to just say "I'm not going in a club" If you give any excuse that leaves an opening they will persist. If you are going in a club, they will make deals, don't accept the first offer, ,make them work for your money.
Everyone we met will was very friendly and helpful. I would recommend the Royal Cancun and Cancun in general.

Room Tip: Ocean view is nice but not worth the extra money, Take a pool view room, the Captain Hook party boat...
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Just been home for 3 days and could not stop thinking about The Royal Cancun and how we need to go back same time next year. The service, accommodations, views, food, exceptional. Refine all inclusive very fair and there are a ton of options. Only negative on our stay where the bartenders were very slow with drinks And not the friendliest. Management take note. Caesar at the Papal a was terrific and all staff with the exception of bartenders at swim up bar. Looking forward to our next visit regardless.

Room Tip: Room B 1022 perfect beachfront views
San Antonio,Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

Family of 5 with 3 daughters ages 20, 19 and 13 all had a terrific time!

Let me start by saying our Concierge " Marco Antonio" made our trip a huge success. Marco was very polite, courteous and thorough from Day 1. We were there 6 days and he sat down with us at our convenience and helped us plan each day! We were able to spend days at The Royal Sands, The Royal Haciendas, an all day excursion to Xcaret, 1/2 day all inclusive deals, Coco Bongo front of the line service, transportation, sports desk suggestions like bike riding, sail boats, dinner suggestions to Captains Cove and he was spot on with everything!!! We were all bummed to see Mexico and USA get knocked out of the World Cup but the Royal Properties made it so much fun to drink, swim and watch the games.

Our other favorite guy in Mexico was "Julio" the pool bar service man at the Royal Haciendas. He was Service professionalism at its finest! Every tourist wishes they could have a waiter like Julio!

The Royal Cancun was beautiful and yes much quieter than the rest of the Hotel Zone probably but very enjoyable.

Little things that bugged me was the AC was really loud in the living room area where you had to blast the volume on the tv. We didn't watch much.

The kids room was warm and never really cooled.

The food was very good but much better at the other Royal properties.

The same goes for the bars. The drinks were much much better at the other sister resorts.

We are Wyndham owners who transferred our points over to RCI and that's how we chose The Royal Cancun. They tried to stick us with a street view of nothing and had to really argue to get the one bathroom suite with the pool view- B812 was ground floor and a terrific spot to walk right out on the beach and centered on the property.

The one bathroom was a bummer having 3 daughters and my wife. I was the last one to shower all the time, but the room was very nice with a nice kitchen and all the accessories. We shopped at the Market there spending $100 on groceries like sandwich stuff- bread, ham, mustard, pb&j, cereal,milk, waters, sodas, waffles, syrup, chips, ice cream a bottle of coconut rum and more. So the 2 days we were not all inclusive we did just fine. I took a good sized tumbler to fill my drinks and took them to the beach.

We were asked to hear a sales presentation and we met Israel from Chicago who provided us lunch and made us feel like we were eating with family. He was never pushy and didn't need to be. He has a GREAT product with the Royal properties but we just couldn't buy at this time.
Thanks for being so cool and professional sir.

Overall a fantastic trip at the Royal Cancun! We LOVED THIS PLACE AND HOPE TO BE BACK SOON!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Royal Cancun, an All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!