This is a private club - a timeshare. It was the first one authorized and built in Cancun in the 1970s, and is still the best. You would never know it is 35 years old; it looks new except for the amazing gardens and plantings that have matured over time. The maintenance is incredible. This is one of the few places that remained opened and unscathed by the hurricanes in the past.
Because this is a private club, it is NOT a hotel. Many owners come for 3-5 weeks. About half the units are privately owned, with the many of the rest rented by owners of other Royal Resorts or members that wish to be there longer than their time shares. As a result it is a family friendly place where many of the owners know each other from the past 30 plus years and greet new visitors warmly to their secret vacation spot.
Because of the way it is built it seems much smaller and cozier than its actual size. There are two pools - one especially for kids that toddlers can walk around in a large part of. The beach is on the protected North side of Cancun so does not have big waves and has a shallow slope that is great for kids.
B units have two bedrooms, kitchen, living area, deck and one bathroom. C units have two floors with a second bathroom and second balcony.
It is changing to all inclusive for renters in April or May. Owners are not thrilled about this as the units have their own kitchens and most of us enjoy the great restaurants in downtown Cancun. The addition of all inclusive to the other Royal Resorts has been met with mixed reviews so far.
This place is a close walk to the ferry to Isla Mujers - a quaint island just off the coast and is closer to the downtown than other Hotel Zone hotels. Local bus service is less than $1 and goes everywhere.
Be careful of high pressure sales pitches if you rent. The Royal Resorts' new finance staff (there are several time share properties in Cancun and Playa del Carmen) is all about sales and boasts of its knowledge of the hotel business. Unfortunately, the Director of Sales seems to know nothing about this club (Royal Cancun, aka Club Internationale and VCI or Vacation Club International) and has been caught in lies to the owners. If you are not interested in buying but just want an amazing vacation that you will not forget, tell them up front that you are not buying. If you are interested in buying (I encourage it if you want a fantastic vacation with friends every year), talk to some owners first. They will be honest with you and know the properties so much better than the short term sales people. The concierge are worthless - few have been there more than a few months. If you want information about the area, the resort or restaurants, just ask any owners sitting around the pool or beach. The Thomas Moore desk is great for trips to various local attractions. Just don't waste your time with the concierge staff EXCEPT Gaby, who will ensure dinner reservations for you; she sits just inside the concierge office by the small store.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Cancun an All Suites Resort All Inclusive stands elegantly along a sheltered beach with kid-friendly surf and views of Isla Mujeres. Step back in time, into the relaxed atmosphere of Old Mexico and its revered family traditions. Enjoy fine dining, activities and many other creature comforts with the REFINE All-Inclusive package. The Royal Cancun is a 10-minute drive from the Hotel Zone's major shopping malls, nightclubs and golf courses, 10 minutes from Downtown Cancun and a 25-minute drive from Cancun airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, TravelClick, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Royal Cancun, All Inclusive, All Suites Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Cancun Hotel Cancun
- International Hotel Cancun
- Club International Cancun
- International Resort Cancun
- International Club Cancun