“Beautiful Grounds - Geared towards spring breakers” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Oasis Cancun

You added Oasis Cancun to your Saves list
Oasis Cancun
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulkan, Km 16.5 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Be Live Cancun)   |
Special Offer
HOT Summer Travel Rates!
Ranked #117 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
The Midwest
“Beautiful Grounds - Geared towards spring breakers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The good news:

My husband and I have stayed at more than 10 all inclusive resorts. The Oasis Cancun had the best grounds so far. Great walkways, very organized, wonderful pool, natural trees on the beach, lots of seating and sprawling areas.

The okay news:

If you are in your 20s or even 30s and looking to lounge by the largest pool in Latin America, the beach, and PARTY PARTY PARTY then this is the place for you! Gorgeous young people having a blast! That time in my life has passed so this was a bit too much action for me. After a couple of days I found out the south end of the resort was geared a bit more for grownups like us heh heh

The service:

The staff were super nice, chatty, and very personable. They shared stories with us and seemed to go out of their way to make sure we were having a good time. If I wanted more coffee or an iron brought to my room it was there in a few minutes. The buffet on the south side was better than the north side. The restaurants were great.

The bad news:

I always take a room spray with me for aromatherapy but no matter what I tried I could not remove the mildew smell from our room.

The balconies are very tiny and took some coordination for 2 of us to share.

Only 2 small bottles of water a day. We had to go buy a case at an additional fee.

They have the oddest towel rules we have ever encountered. You cannot check out towels under your wristband or room number. You have to BRING the towels from your room and exchange them for new ones. I guess if they are used to dealing with children this is what they came up with.

We were lucky in that our room was far away from the nightlife or pool area. The music is LOUD and goes all day. I could hear the pool music from my room on the top floor. I am happy we were not right by the pool.

Ahhh, wristbands...how I hate the different colors. I spend a lot of money to come to an all inclusive. When we arrived we were told that were different kinds of wristbands. For $28 more dollars per day we could be upgraded from a purple wristband to a black wristband. We stuck with the purple so we could see what the difference was. The bad part was that there were actual security guards that wouldn't let us into "VIP" areas or certain restaurants without the black wristband. Once again, this is more geared towards a young person's club scene. It also makes it hard to make new friends and then not be able to eat or hang in the same areas as them. I do not support a class system on vacation.

Overall:

If you are young and looking for a party resort this is the one. I am not so I will be looking elsewhere for my next resort.

Room Tip: There are 4 buildings. A central grand pyramid, a north beach (playa1 I think), a south beach (play...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
  • Polish first
Hanover, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

The property is beautiful and set on an exquisite beach. There are plenty of chaise lounges and palm trees for shade. All the colors of a tropical vacation mix and merge on this curve of shoreline -- incandescent white sands, verdant green vegetation and various blue hues of sea and sky. What could ruin this?
Upon arrival at the hotel my husband and I were given the keys to room 3142. Upon entering the room I realized we were given an ocean front room. The room was slightly larger than the bathroom with 2 beds and no furniture, just a white room with 2 lights sticking out of the wall near the headboard. We changed this room for 20$.
When a jelly fish bit me and I had an allergy throughout my whole body and I needed help. Hotel staff bearly spoke any English. Nobody could help me. The medical service cost a lot of money, and the doctor was not available in the hotel. Upon arrival we were told that restaurant reservations were limited and we could only book one night. Because of those couple times we did not have dinner. All restaurants were full. We tried to ask where we can eat, but waiters did not understand us at all. Pool is awful too. A lot of people had eye infection because people, especially children, pee in the pool. I can tell you more, not only pee....

Do not waist your money!

Room Tip: 20 $ and your room will be changed
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Stay else were, just checked in, this place can't get nothing write, restrictions on every thing. My third trip to cancun , very disappointed. Bath room dingi, sleeping area old , no chairs on balcony , pillows flat, my iPad has a bigger screen, then the television in the room.

• Stayed December 2012
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Dec 1-15th Unless you are from quebec and between 17 & 20 do not go to this hotel. Got to the front desk at the grand after a 6 hour flight delay at 2:00 am in the morning and was notified they didn't show our booking. After 45 minutes of crap they shuffled us to the other wing of the hotel to check in. "No sir none of the rooms in the front have 2 beds". Although we paid for oceanview they put us in the back forty saying that we could still see the ocean between the two buildings. Went the next day to the sunwing rep who said they didn't have 2 beds in the front buildings. After two days they moved us to the front building on the first floor. Guess what - two double beds that you could easily push a foot apart. No water on the whole floor for a day. Security gate at the end of the hall was broken so locals could rome the building. The roof top air conditioner spewed water so you couldn't sit on your balcony. Staff was decent enough but not enough people to serve a full hotel. Long lineups of pushy kids got the stress boiling to the point of wanting to kick some butt. Maybe just a few rope stantions at the busier times to make a line would solve this crap. Beds are worn out with the springs coming through the mattress. Sheets & pillow cases get changed every 3 days maybe. Half of the restaurants are for the $28 black wrist band upgrade that nobody told us about till a couple before we were leaving. Sushi guy cut his finger stuck it into his mouth then proceeded to make sushi. The toilet in our room screamed after you flushed it for about a minute. We nicknamed it the singing toilet. Asked for a white russian and got a brown cow with too much curaco. Asked for a beer and clamato but they ran out of clamato so they subbed hot sauce. For a thousand room hotel they have about 10 palapas on the beach and maybe 25 loungers. Not exactly the relaxing stress free holiday i was looking for.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

You think children in Africa are starving! When we first arrive, it takes over 2 hours to check in. I was already surprised by the poor service by the staff. Arrived as an oasis member with a grand room. So basically had purple wristband to start. This is not "all-inclusive" resort. I would call it "semi-inclusive". They try and make u pay for anything they can. Key to safe in room, replacement key, freakin water bottles. So we get checked in and we are starving, haven't eaten since breakfast. Try to go to first restaurant we see. Nope not aloud. We need "black" wristbands. Walk 20 min to other side of resort, 40 min wait for the peasant restaurant. WE COULDN'T EVEN GET FOOD AT AN ALL INCLUSIVE RESORT!

I also believe staff is trained to treat you bad if u do not have "black" wristband in hopes that u will upgrade for the treatment n service-so we but the bullet. 56$ a night later we have "black" bands. Any thing change?? No. Was able to go in 2 extra restaurants n one bar. Other stuff was closed for construction which they told us after the purchase.

For the extra money they squeeze out of you when ur there u might as well pay the extra couple hundred and go to Dreams, one of the best in cancun. And get treated like the paying customer you are.

• Stayed December 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

The Oasis Cancun as it is described in the booking page to be a 3 1/2 star from Sunwing.ca, personally i would not even give it 2 star. As it happened that on 12th Dec the Wednesday morning there was no water supply in the Hotel. By which I mean no water in the taps and showers and toilets. So when my wife informed me about the situation, i phoned the Reception to send me three bottles of water to the room for us to brush our teeth as we are three of us in the room. She tells me that they will only give me two bottles of water which is part of your daily qouta and i will have to pay for the third bottle. I was shocked by her response as it was their problem for the water supply and they were making me pay for the extra measly bottle of water. This is the worst case scenario of Hospitality going bad. So then i take up the issue with the Sunwing reps in the hotel who are so eager to sell all kinds of packages and deals and want your money, and informed him of the situation about the reception wanting me to pay for the water and asked him if this was Hospitality, you guys should be doing a little extra in situations like this, he tells me that "You get what you pay for". This was freaking insult on injury, so i am not good enough a customer because i have bought a standard last minute room. What a sham these guys are running. BTW very noisy all night every day even weekdays, not recommended for families.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Gainesville, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

First--for the review by petemay121-- 13 pasos to the dollar is a better deal than 10.5... looks like you have it backward, and yes, they charge pesos... it's Mexico!.

I've been there in 2002,2007 and this year. There are two levels at this hotel complex sharing the same grounds-- Grand, which is in the Pyramid and the Oasis which are the other four buildings. Same pool and beach but the restaurant services are far more limited. I paid about $135 per night for our room for my wife and I with a free upgrade. A Grand level is about $40/night more.

I think that you get what you pay for here. I wanted a reasonable cost for a week's getaway with a nice beach and pool. Check in here tends to be a fiasco. But I kept my cool and politeness and eventually got not just an upgrade but a triple upgrade to an oceanfront for free. Honey gets more than vineger every time. That being said, they really do not know or care about the concept of customer service.

I did get what I paid for. The grounds of the hotel and the beach and pool are as nice as any I've ever seen anywhere. Big wide clean beach with plenty of chairs as well as umbrellas and shade huts. The pool is huge with a swim up bar. I've always found everything to be exceptionally clean. I recently stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Montego Bay and while the service was over the top great as were the sheets and towels, the pool was tiny for the size of the resort and the beach was also tiny and full of rocks. All at a MUCH higher price.

The room here was clean and perfectly adequate and everything worked. The food also, as always fine, although if you don't go for the Grand Level, choices are limited. Next time I would choose to pay for the Grand. I've never been to an all-inclusive where the food is an absolute gormet experience. I'm a foodie and still find the food good. Not great but good.

So to conclude, for the price it worked out fine. What was a surprise this time is how full the hotel was this time of year. I went about the exact same time in 07 and it was dead (which was nice for a married couple). Again, the grounds are the one thing over the top here. If this hotel had any real management and a customer service ethic, it would be a much, much better experience.

Room Tip: Bribe the front desk manager--- no kidding. I did!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Oasis Cancun? Share your experiences!