“Restaurant and service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
Durango, Colorado
“Restaurant and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Ocean Spa Hotel which is connected to the Laguna Suites via Sunset resorts. The food and service were bad enough there that we drove to this hotel restaurant for dinner twice during our stay. Enrique and staff in the restaurant were excellent, friendly, sense of humor, and prompt in all respects. Enrique really made our experience the most enjoyable in Cancun. The food is top notch in comparison to the other "all inclusive" hotels run by Sunset. While we will not choose Sunset Resorts in the future, we will definitely visit the Laguna Suites restaurant again and look forward to seeing Enrique at the helm.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Gerente at Laguna Suites Golf & Spa, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. We are delighted that you had the opportunity to visit our sister hotel Laguna Suites and enjoyed food and service. We will share your kind comments with our staff.

We are currently undergoing a renovation program in our rooms as well as on the rest of Ocean Spa hotel and we hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back so you can see our improvements for yourself.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Seaford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

What a wonderful experience. Food was superb. Can't compliment the staff enough. So good, we had to force ourselves to leave the hotel to experience the great city of Cancun. Special thanks to Armondo (my man), Enrique, Roberto and Eddie led by stewart Miquel. Others to thank include Charly, Marlene, Adriana, Pedro, Quique, Edwin, Yuli. Omar, Carlos and Launa. The staff was just so courteous and polite. The bar staff would prepare special drinks to surprise you with.. The dining staff, both servers and food preparers would gladly deviate off menu to prepare special requests. To repeat myself, What a great place to visit and experience superb hospitality!!! - Richard M.

Room Tip: Stayed at Laguna Suites. Two floor hotel with no elevators. For those having difficulty climbing ste...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your experience at Laguna Suites. It is always good to hear that our guests have had a wonderful experience and don’t want to leave us, as this is certainly the sentiment we strive to achieve.

We will be thrilled if you consider Laguna Suites for your next vacation.
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Ocean Spa two years prior before coming back to the Laguna. We wanted to have a quieter place since we were bringing our fiancé and girlfriend with us. The people were at the airport as promised with the pink sign and had no problems either time getting to the resort from the airport. The Laguna hotel is the last stop and is probably a little over 30 minutes from the airport by time you drop off others who are riding with you.

The trip started off on a horrible note as we got our “welcome” drinks. I guess they are trying to get you in a more happy frame of thinking before they break the bad news that you are required to go to a timeshare presentation. Every document that I signed and sent back to the company mentioned nothing of this presentation. The previous time we came, we were given an option to attend and if we attended, they would provide two activities for free such as tours, jet skis, etc. This year we were told we had to go or we would be charged a rack rate of an absurd amount. (I do not know the price, but it was at least triple what we paid which was $600 for 6 days and 5 nights) Daniel Guarez was our greeter of the wonderful news that our credit cards would be charged the full amount and that we agreed to a timeshare presentation. He showed us on his computer that the person my friend talked to on the phone had us booked under timeshare presentation which is an outright lie by the call taker because once again, I did not sign anything agreeing to this. I wish I knew the call takers name, but I do not. Daniel Guarez was arrogant and downright ignorant with his demeanor. We had two rooms and stated that all four of us had to attend. He said the presentation would be only 90 minutes and then we were free to go. I had him sign a paper stating that it would only be 90 minutes and after 10:30 a.m. we would be free to leave. I knew that there was no way it would be only 90 minutes reading the reviews, but it would be something to keep in the back pocket nonetheless. Needless to say, this started the vacation off on a wrong foot and made me angry. Our bags were taken to two upstairs rooms. The person lingered around waiting for a tip and I was so heated about the lobby incident that I didn’t oblige. (My attitude quickly changed about the other staff and learned that they are nothing like the timeshare presentation people and I shouldn’t take it out on them)

The next morning we were at the lobby ready to go on the fun adventure of timeshares. (It’s not a timeshare though, I forget what their magical spin term was but it is BS either way) We were met by the all so pleasant Cesar Sanchez. I’ll be the first to admit I was stubborn and standoffish. On the van ride to Sunset Lagoon for breakfast, I was informed only my buddy and his girlfriend would have to attend the presentation. I wasn’t going to leave my buddy behind so we tagged along. I was told approximately 40 times on the short ride that I needed to keep an open mind. I told him I had no intention of buying anything and neither did my friend. I also said that at 10:30 AM we were told we could leave and that we already had breakfast so we should just skip to the tour part. Also, Cesar said if we said “no” that would be the end of it which I knew to be a lie. Cesar had to go and get his fill of breakfast where he talked more than ate and again told me 40 times to keep an open mind and that if my more nicer friend was interested, I needed to stay quiet because I was really going to be jealous of him that he was able to buy it. The only credit I can give this shady character is that he did power walk us through the resorts which sped up our time somewhat. The only other positive was it allowed our dates the different resorts we could go eat and drink at. We probably got to the Ocean Spa where the fun begins around 11:30. After the initial proposal of almost $200,000 property with an ungodly interest rate more than most credit cards, the offer was just short of $40,000 and then 10 vacations for about $3,000. Two boss men had to come over and go over the proposals to make sure we were getting it and that we were stupid for not taking up the offer. The manager even had to go check his system if he could find an owner to split the property up which amazingly he was able to do without getting on a computer or filing system. (Hint: If you are going to pull a scheme, you might want to make sure the guy you are trying to sell is not watching where you go you “donkey”) I said something to my friend which evidentially set Cesar off and he told me to “shut up”. (That’s real professional) So finally we were released after at least a half an hour and Cesar said that we should tip his friend for bringing his drinks just after he told me to shut up so we had words and I told him he could tip him himself. (Again, not the waiters fault as he was nice, but again thanks to timeshare guys, gets the raw end of the stick)

So now that we got all the negative out of the way, I can say that the Laguna was overall a really good time. The beds were rock hard and very uncomfortable, but other than that, the time spent there was a good time. The rooms were clean and housekeeping were nice and did a great job. The place is very small and relaxing and the staff gets to know you and even remember your room after just a couple times getting drinks or food. Eddie was the main bartender and was super nice and even brought us out salsa and guacamole that wasn’t on the menu which was delicious. Our two main waiters was Enrique and Roberto. Enrique was on top of it and very nice and had great service. Roberto was very nice and funny, but his service was not as on top of it as Enrique, but it was not from the lack of effort and I since he could have been new. The food for the most part was pretty good. Most was nothing to brag about for lunch and dinner, but was fine if you are not a super prude about having gourmet meals as they were pretty basic tasting. The pasta night was not very good at all and was very bland. We had lobster at Ocean Spa and I am not a lobster expert but I thought it was pretty good. I believe breakfast was the best meal there and everything I got was very good. The only other bad thing about the food was that sometimes they were out of items and they were even out of bottled water one morning. The fridge did not keep stuff very cold and I wouldn’t trust items required to be at a certain temp, but it at least kept the water and drinks cool. The golf course did not look to be worth the $125 as we walked out and the fairway was not short at all. We didn’t golf it so can’t say for it as a whole. Sunset Royale has an amazing beach and we ate their a couple times which was good. That is definitely the place to go if you want the ocean but it is loud by their pool so if you want peace and quiet, the Laguna is the way to go. Mariella was awesome and super nice. She takes your drinks and food orders and even though it was very hot and a long walk to come down the stairs and deliver drinks out on the beach, she was always smiling and nice. She spoke very little English but my fiancé was able to communicate with her and she seemed very genuine and even remembered my face a couple days later when we came back. The guy who does the painting also was very nice and you can tell he has a passionate for that as my fiancé painted us our own custom souvenir. I can not remember his name but he is the only one who does that. Ocean Spa was going under renovations and looked terrible from where it was at two years ago. The one restaurant by the pool was closed and thus no pool bar. It was loud and noisy as work was being done. I’m glad we chose Laguna over it because I guarantee they wouldn’t give the disclaimer that it was going under renovations. The shuttles are on time and I didn’t believe that big of deal from getting from resort to resort. (These above people I had no problem with tipping and made the trip enjoyable after it started out on such a horrible note)

I’m a pretty level person and it doesn’t take much to please me so for $600 for two people and 6 days, 5 nights all-inclusive, it is well worth it if you do not have to do the timeshare. I do not like the threats that Daniel Guarez made about the credit card and he and Cesar Sanchez is an (donkey).

My rating for this trip would be much higher if not for the two above, but they stained the whole vacation by their lies and I will never choose to vacation again with this company.

Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

The Laguna Suites is a quiet spot to spend your vacation. Just be prepared for the time share seminar and rude concierge! I reserved my vacation a year prior to staying at the Laguna Suites. I paid for the trip in whole for the all-inclusive package. During my phone reservation I was never asked to attend a time share seminar. In fact I stayed at Ocean Spa (a sister hotel) two years prior with the same vacation package and never had to attend the time share seminar and again never asked to attend one either.

Once I arrived at Laguna Suites I was met by Daniel Guarez the concierge. Mr. Guarez seemed a little irritated that my flight was delayed by the airport and I was late getting to the hotel. Mr. Guarez seemed in a rush to get all paper work signed for the hotel room so he could begin his speech about time shares. I advised Mr. Guarez that I never signed up for a time share seminar and that I would not be attending. Mr. Guarez became very irritated with the fact that I never signed up for any type of time share seminar and when I booked and paid for my reservation I never agreed for any type of time share seminar. Mr. Guarez told me that if I didn’t attend the time share seminar that my package (that didn’t include a time share seminar) would be voided and he would have to charge me a much larger amount for my stay at Laguna on my credit card that I had to produce while checking in.

I agreed to attend a time share seminar since Mr. Guarez and his manager advised they would charge my credit card for every part of the hotel stay even though I have already paid for the weeks stay. I was met by Cesar Sanchez at 9:00am the next morning. Mr. Sanchez made the comment several times “if the time share isn’t for you that’s ok, you can say no”. I listened with an open mind even though I was made to be there! I listened to Mr. Sanchez’s seminar and visited many hotels. At the end Mr. Sanchez told me to give him $1,995 USD as a down payment for the time share and he needed this money today! He then continued on explaining that I would have to pay $35,000 USD and he could finance this at 16.9%. This amount then dropped to $11,000 USD after I had to say no several times. I told him that I wasn’t going to buy any type of time share today. Mr. Sanchez’s manager then joined the conversation. The manager told the other couple I was with to shut up and to stop talking so he could explain himself and why we needed to give him our money. Mr. Sanchez disrespected my girlfriend while telling her that she was “poor, broke and we didn’t have any money”. Once the time share employees began insulting and disrespecting us we got up and started to walk out. As I got on the elevator I saw Mr. Sanchez tearing paper apart violently and acting aggressive. This was a concern of mine because there were other people still in the room who seemed to be guest at other hotels. I was almost scared for my safety and my girlfriend’s safety because of the aggressiveness shown by the time share employees.

I spoke to Mr. Guarez later in the week to make reservations for my girlfriend and I to eat at one of the other hotels. Mr. Guarez seemed very rude and he called someone on the phone while I was talking to him. Mr. Guarez advised that he made my reservation for me and I asked for documentation that he called and who he spoke to. He complied and gave me what I asked for. Once we arrived at the dinner reservations I was told that no once contacted the hotel and that Mr. Guarez never called the hotel for my reservations. I was disgusted at this point! I brought my documentation of Mr. Guarez phone call. The hotel advised they were sorry but Mr. Guarez never called the hotel and never made my dinner reservations. The hotel I was at made accommodations for my girlfriend and I to eat.

The one pleasure I did have with my stay at Laguna were the people who worked as waiters and bartenders. I want to thank Eddie, Reberto, and Enrique! These three guys were always happy to see you and worked very hard during my stay. It seemed like they were always there to help in any way possible. These three hotel employees made my stay very enjoyable. I wish they had more working at the hotel like these guys!

I wish I could give this hotel a 5 star rating because of the staff (other than the time share and concierge). All employees were awesome to be around and always made you smile. Housekeeping always made the beds, brought fresh towels, and would clean the rooms as best they could without touching your property. I feel like Mr. Guarez almost tried to make my stay dissatisfying as much as possible because of the time share deal.

Room Tip: Up stairs rooms are nice they over look the pool. The bedroom windows are a view of a concrete wall...
Redfield, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Such an amazing trip for our 9th anniversary. Enrique and the crew rocked it out for us! They always greeted us with a smile and were there for us when we needed them. They always kept the cup full and made sure we had exactly what we needed. The spa is a must! We had a lovely couples massage that was out of this world! Lupe and Adriana kept the grill going and always served us exactly what we wanted for the food. Tip here - you can always ask them to cook things for you that are not on the menu. Hamburger, fries, scrambled eggs...they were always so accommodating. The entire staff were AWESOME and AMAZING!!! Please make sure you tip these folks well, they are SO deserving!

Room Tip: Just make sure your air conditioner works properly as well as the shower. And get a room on the sec...
Harrisonburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

My parents gave us this vacation as a college graduation present. Knowing that they bought an all-inclusive "anniversary package" that included a couples massage and pedicure for only $700 US gave us an instant clue that we weren't headed for a five-star resort. Couple that with the fact that this was bought from a telemarketer that required our attendance at a timeshare presentation and extreme online reviews on either end of the spectrum, and we didn't have high expectations. The bottom line is, if you aren't a fussy person and you enjoy an intimate, quiet atmosphere (versus the loud party atmosphere of the Cancun strip) and personal service, you can have an enjoyable vacation at the Laguna Suites Golf and Spa with an all-inclusive package.

On arrival, we were greeted by the concierge and he told us that we were able to use an hourly shuttle that traveled between the two main resorts (Sunset Lagoon and Sunset Royale) and the other "marketing resort" Ocean Spa. He told us what was available to us at those resorts and that our all-inclusive package (indicated by the bracelets we wore all week) was recognized at those places also.

The front desk manager that was on duty when we arrived wasn't warm and friendly, but he was very helpful and efficient. The manager on duty at checkout, however, was very friendly. He allowed us to keep our all-inclusive bracelets two hours past checkout while we waited for our ride to the airport so we could have drinks and let us keep our room key to "wait in an air-conditioned room" instead of the open-air hotel lobby. Very sweet and generous!

Our room was clean, comfortably air-conditioned, and very minimal with a kitchenette and a living space with a fold-out futon couch. The kitchenette didn't have a fridge or a microwave as some other rooms did, and there was no cutlery but this wasn't an issue for us since all our meals and drinks were provided. There were a coffee maker and a toaster though. The beds were very firm and only full-sized so sleeping wasn't the most comfortable. We ended up sleeping on the fold-out in the living room which was more comfortable. The shower was poorly designed and ended up soaking the bathroom floor during a shower. Easily fixed with a rolled up towel at the edge of the shower! The housekeeping staff was excellent, and we got clean linens every day. An iron and board are available in the room. The second floor balcony was very little, only enough room to fit an ironing board, which we know because we put ours out there to hang dry some clothes! We wouldn't have spent much time there anyway, it's much nicer by the pool or on any of the lounge chairs all over the premises.

The hotel restaurant is outdoors and the kitchen staff, servers and bartenders are all very friendly, especially our regular bartender Armando and our regular servers Enrique and Edwin. The kitchen was frequently out of things and limited by a very small menu, but what we did eat was always delicious. The waitstaff usually remembered our room number and regular breakfast drink orders, making us feel very special. Prices of the meals are printed on the menu (on the pricey side) so we typically tipped our servers about 20% of the meal in pesos, which I guess means we tipped well. Despite this, I feel that we were treated well by the staff because we chatted with them and treated them with respect instead of like cheap servants. If you have a package that allows you to take advantage of dinner at one of the larger resorts, I recommend making a reservation. We tried the Capriccio at Sunset Royale which was wonderful! The beach at Sunset Royale is also the best and makes your photos look like a postcard.

The pool at Laguna Suites was gorgeous and well-kept, and the swim-up bar was fun. Even with the families and small children playing there, it was a nice quiet place to relax and read. The spa was quaint and our massage was very skilled and aromatherapy made it heavenly. Our pedicure was basic but nice. The spa closes at 5:30 which makes scheduling hard if you have excursions planned for the day. I took advantage of the 8 am yoga class once which was basic and in the ashtanga style.

We had read in online reviews that the timeshare presentation would take four hours instead of the promised 120 minutes, so we were prepared for half our day to be taken up by it. We approached it with the mindset that we were getting a free breakfast (which was a huge delicious buffet) and a tour of the big resorts which were gorgeous. It also included a nice boat ride across the lagoon between the two large resorts. As soon as we told the sales person a solid NO, the presentation was over and we were given a ride straight back to our hotel. (Word of advice: don't say no too early. Then the presentation will be over and you might be conned into having to pay more for your stay because you didn't sit through the presentation, according to other reviews and hinted at by our sales person.)

The best part about our trip was the people. Because the restaurant was so intimate and small we met people from other countries who were very nice, and the staff was friendly in response to our friendliness. We had a great, relaxing time and will always look back on this trip with smiles!

Room Tip: Some of the second floor rooms have a bigger balcony so if that's a big deal to you mention it a...
Kansas City, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

this place was real nice the food was exellent the room was good to. i give a special thanks to the food crew and cleaning crew as well. if i ever come back to cancun i will love this guys to be in my service
Mayra ventura- did a great job keeping my room clean and spotless
Pedro
roberto
angel
yuliano
lupe
laura
this six people were amazing in the kitchen at night time. they got out of the way to please you. great service berry friendly did the job right and well. this guys all deserve a big time thank. never for a second douted them of leaving a good tip everytime

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Laguna Suites Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!