“Perfection!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula

You added Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd Kukulkan, Km 5.5 Lote 6-C | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Bedworth, United Kingdom
“Perfection!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Sheer perfection!

From the moment we arrived (my wife, my 19 year old daughter and I) were in heaven. The hotel itself is stunning. The reception area is welcoming and grand. We were greeted with a friendly welcome and a very refreshing drink (much needed after a long flight). The hotel porters were extremely helpful and could not do enough for us. The reception staff again very helpful and explained in great detail the facilities available. The grounds are stunning and believe me "seeing is believing". Excellent facilities. We relaxed on the beach and on the pool side, and this was not hard to do with hotel waiters on hand providing refreshments when needed. Our room was simply amazing, beautifully clean on arrival and cleaned every day to an excellent standard. We even had towels made into swans, rabbits and elephants and our bed scattered with rose petals. My wife even thought they had mistaken us for a honeymoon couple however this was not so, as our maid (a male) wanted to do this just for us. We were on 7th floor and had an exceptional view of the complex and sea. What a fabulous sunrise.

We ate mainly in the buffet restaurant, the variety of food was always well cooked and beautifully presented. The themed evenings were simply a joy to attend. The additional restaurants, although never as full as the buffet restaurant, and needed a reservation, still served beautiful food in excellent surroundings with excellent service.

Each day an amazing and hard working entertainment team provided activities from volleyball to aqua aerobics and crazy games. By the end of the week we found ourselves joining in collapsing in laughter!

Our Thomson rep was helpful and on hand to advise us on excursions to take.

We said sheer perfection and we meant it! We were relaxed, took life at a slower pace, did what we wanted to do when we wanted to do it and had a fantastic holiday.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (836)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Although weather channel predicted last week of August as cloud covered and rainy, we had sunshine. Hot but not excessive. Nice breeze. White sandy beach. Took 15 minute cruise to island and rented golf cart. Toured 3 miles of island. Many golf carts. Shop around. Don't expect to set speed records. Food was excellent! 4-6 buffet tables per meal plus 4 a-la-carte restaurants. Everything included. We took 30-minute kitchen tour. Very informative to see how a big kitchen works. Thanks Rocques! This RIU is two years old ... Nouveau styling ... Purples. Most important WIFI in the room!

Room Tip: Get there early so you can change rooms to suit your needs. Sunwing provides bus service. We take a...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was stunning. The food was great, the service was amazing. The rooms were so spacious with a jacuzzi inside and outside of our room. Very hard working staff, immaculate hotel. My boyfriend and I would definitely go back their. Keep up the good work riu!!

• Stayed August 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

This resort was really awesome!! I went there for my honeymoon and we had a amazing time!
The buffet Las Olas had really nice food and we especially liked Juanita one of our servers that served us every dinner.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Harpenden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Me and my girlfriend from London stayed for 7 nights from 14th - 21st of August, so all we intended to do was just sit by the pool and enjoy what the hotel had to offer until we flew home. From reviews we chose this hotel and we're so glad we did, both of us had a superb week and would love to come back again.

From arrival the reception staff were very kind, especially Danko who greeted us. Welcome glass of bubbly did us nicely. We stayed in the Villa just for adults and had a second floor room looking at the sea which gave us a great view of the grounds but also a glimpse of the sea, I must say we were upgraded upon arrival which made us so happy so we can't complain from maybe having a high sea view in the main hotel to the Villa view. What sets the Villa different is that you have a private adult only pool, jacuzzi on the balcony (amazing) and also a restaurant that caters only to Villa guests which i'll mention later. Room amenities were different class and the added 4 spirit bar in the room was a nice touch. Air conditioning superb, so was the king sized bed and the shower / bathroom. The adult only pool was always great to relax by and with a man taking drink orders as you lay there you felt very well looked after. So big shout out to Fili who met our needs for constant Banana Mama's and Margaritas he was very friendly and if we go back hope to meet again. As its adult only there we're a lot of couples staying and we met some great people and enjoyed a few drinks or 5 in their company each evening as the day wound down. There is also a private beach for hotel guests only which is white sand and clear sea up to the waist. A nice refreshing cold dip in the scorching heat. Speaking of weather since it's supposed to be the wet season we only had one quick rain storm during the night whilst we slept with 90 degree heat every day with little clouds. Perfect weather since before we left the weather everyday looked like thunderstorms.

So obviously the drinks were great and many different varieties to sample, but the food choices all week... amazing. We ate mainly at the buffet for lunch which had a vast array of hot and cold food but they also have a BBQ which is pool side for lunch if you want a change. There are also some restaurants which have their own themes for example Mexican, Japanese and Steak but are all reservation only. We tried the Mexican one night but we're more impressed by the Mexican theme night at the buffet in the evening. The evening buffet was also very good and whatever you fancy would be there. The seafood night was a chance for me to try Lobster which I wouldn't normally be able to do without spending a fortune. But the best Restaurant we had was the Adult Kulinarium, I had the most amazing 4 course meal which included a superb Lobster soup and Steak for the main, I normally don't eat beef but this was simply divine. We which we stayed longer so we could go to that again!

With the number of bars across the resort and the evening entertainment in the stage area there was plenty to do after dinner and before retiring to bed.

Thomson included taxi transfer to and from the hotel which was just for us and very quick and easy.

A side note on outside the hotel; The Thomson rep was very nice and gave us all sorts of options for us to purchase including Dolphin swimming etc but with 6 full days we just wanted to relax, if we stayed longer we would have taken one of the many excursion offers given.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view but if travelling as a couple the Villas for an adult only experience, no kids aro...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

I must say that I am SHOCKED at the negative reviews posted! My husband and I haven't been back a week and are already planning our return trip! We stayed in room 2121 and couldn't disagree more with the prior comment regarding the room. Regarding the smell, yes, there is a musty smell but that is what you get when you stay near the ocean and in an environment as humid as Mexico! To expect anything less is ignorant! I've been to several resorts in Mexico and other areas and the smell is the same.... Musty, not fishy!! With that said, there is nothing offensive about the smell, it's just different, but normal.

The room was beautiful. It was immaculately cleaned EVERY DAY! Our mini-fridge was stocked daily with a variety of drinks, and the fridge worked just fine! Our alcohol dispenser was also kept full and if we needed anything, it was sent to our room very quickly! The towels and bedding were changed daily and were of excellent quality. We were also provided with white, fluffy robes which were perfect for our spa that was on the balcony!

Now, let's talk about the food! The buffet was top notch and the service was outstanding! The only negative about the food was the Japanese restaurant. It was not good and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone! Also, the room service menu could stand to add a few more selections as it was fairly limited, but the food was excellent! Other than that, we were very impressed with the
food! We were never hungry!

Since we stayed in the VIP Villas, we had a private pool which could only be used by others staying in the Villas. We appreciated having an area where children were not allowed and spent most of our time there. Waiters constantly made sure we had everythibg we needed from food to drink, it was wonderful! The other pools were beautiful as well, we just wanted to be in an area free of children. It was odd that the swim up bar allowed children and had it been for adults only, we probably would've spent more time there. But like I said, our private pool provided us with everything we needed so we missed out on nothing!

The staff was polite and very kind and always made us feel special! We signed up for a free photoshoot on the beach and came home with the most beautiful photos I have ever seen! I highly suggest this to everyone, you won't regret it!

On my birthday the hotel put a bottle of tequila in our room with a kind card... Very nice!

The grounds were beautiful and our trip met all of our
expectations! If you are looking for a true all inclusive (no small print) resort that is beautiful, clean, relaxing, provides excellent service and has food to die for..... Then this place is for you! P. S. No stomach issues!!! ;)

• Stayed August 2014
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

We stayed for ten days 15th to 25th August. I am writing this review from my villa room overlooking the vip pool. We were joined by my daughters who flew in from London for 7days.

We chose the Riu peninsula based on the reviews on tripadvisor. We were not disappointed.

Transfer from the airport was'interesting'
We were with hotelbeds which is the company assigned by Riu.com . They'll meet you outside the airport lobby. You will get hassled and bombarded by other reps. I do wish the airport would fix this. If you plan to go back to the airport to meet other travelers give yourself plenty of time. It's a minefield.

Now the hotel.....

The staff at the RPP are very hard working. The service they delivered was first class. Everywhere you look you will see people cleaning and maintaining the grounds. The whole hotel is very clean. I have only ever seen the same standards at the Wynn in Vegas. A special shout out goes to Israel on reception, Alejandro in the breakfast buffet and Fili who was working the VIP Pool area. These three staff members stood out and are worth a special mention. Of all the staff we met only one let the entire team down. He worked the Tobago bar and basically comes across as a right dick! I won't name him..but if you are served by him it will soon become apparent who I mean. A very bad attitude, unhelpful and rude. I thought it was just me but i witnessed it more than once over the week with many people.

Food wise. The buffet is excellent. Loved the lobster night. We were not overly impressed with the food in the specialty restaurants but as usual the service was first class. The specialty restaurants will get you in and out in an hour. You must book. Skip the Mexican.

Entertainment is limited on quality. The circus/strongman acts should not be missed. Very impressive. On the whole the entertainment. was bearable. Nothing fantastic but ok.

The pools and the beach are great. We spent most time by the VIP pool. There you did not need your towel cards. The sea was very cooling but beware it gets very deep very quickly. The beach is less rocky the further left you move towards the Riu Caribe. Not sure I'd want to spend anytime in the swim up bar pool.. I call it the piss pool, although if you want to make friends that seems like the place to be. My daughter's loved it.

Word of note for those booking day trips.
The RPP is typically the first pick up and the last to drop off. This can add a few hours to your trip. We did the chichen itza trip and we spent the first two hours of the early morning picking up from other hotels! Your tour rep will tell you it's a 2.5 hour drive to the site..... But you need to figure in additional pick up time!! Adds up to a long day.

It is hard to criticise the RPP.. But we'd loved to have seen-
The beach party disco held every night not just Saturday's. And if not the beach party maybe build a separate disco for all guests of the RPP and the Caribe.

Live music in the bar/ coffee Lounge every Night. We only saw it scheduled once.

Room recommendation.... A ground floor villa next to the pool. Just so easy to pop in and out for a book or the bath room.
If you stay in the main hotel... Go high. Go ocean facing.

The hotel location is a little out the way. If there were a next time I'd be thinking possibly about the Riu Palace which is just one minute from the entertainment and bars assuming you wanted to leave the hotel. A cab to coco bongo is about $10.from RPP Don't forget to haggle.

I honestly have nothing i could seriously complain about. I did witness other guests not so happy so problems do exist. We just did not experience any problems ourselves.

On the whole the RPP Is a fantastic hotel worthy of its ranking.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula? Share your experiences!