“Service above expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd Kukulkan, Km 5.5 Lote 6-C, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #14 of 172 hotels in Cancun
New York City, New York
“Service above expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We had an excellent vacation at the Palace. The service and friendly staff was above and beyond what we had expected. Staying in the adults only section provided the laid back relaxation without the loud music and noise. Would recommend this section to those without kids and don't want to bothered by others. The only down side to the adults section was that the sun was blocked by the building for the afternoon. If you want to keep sunning in the afternoon you would need to go to another pool or the beach.

The bar service was fantastic, no matter where you were on the premise you always had a waiter asking if they could offer you a drink. Never a wait at a bar on site. The lobby bar provided a nice spot to sit and relax with either a drink or coffee. All restaurants provide top notch food and the service was great.

Having the hot tube on the balcony in the adult section was a great place to send some time before getting ready for dinner. The room was always stocked with liquor and drinks to help spend that time in the hot tube.

Travel to the shopping was no problem with the local bus service. The bus stop across the street provide access to the local shopping spots whether the flea market or the higher end shopping on the water. Each about 10 and 15 minutes away. Much cheaper than a taxi and very convenient.

Although you needed to make reservations one day in advance for the onsite restaurants there was never a problem getting in to one while we were there. Being the slower season may have helped with that.

We USA Transfers in Cancun to get from the airport to the hotel. Great price and excellence service. They meet you just outside the airport doors and have the car there in a few minutes. On the return ride the car arrived at the hotel at the time indicated on the reservation. Highly recommended.

1,700 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

This was the first time my hubby & I have ever taken a vacation outside the U.S. Stayed 8 days @ the All-Inclusive Riu Palace Peninsula in Cancun, Mexico. We stayed on the 16th floor (Room 1628) for 8 days. It was the BEST vacation we've ever had. Riu Palace is the Top Notch resort in Cancun. Absolutely gorgeous facility, which as of Feb 2014, this resort is only a few years old. Beautiful pools, beach front, landscaping, rooms, food/restaurants (they have an Italian Restaurant, Steakhouse Restaurant, Japanese Restaurant, Mexican Restaurant & the Buffet is always available for breakfast, lunch & supper if you don't want to make reservations to eat in one of the "specialty" restaurants. My hubby & I ate at the Italian Restaurant once, however, we decided to just eat at the Buffet from then on, as there is such a huge array of food to select from the Buffet, that there was really no need to eat elsewhere~also they offer 24/7 Room Service here @ NO additional charge) & bars. Very accommodating & extremely friendly staff. Always someone there to help you & they're constantly cleaning throughout the facility. They had lots of activities throughout the day by the pool, something for everyone to enjoy. We played volleyball in the pool & out of the pool, poolside bingo, bocce ball pool side, dancing poolside, toss the ball in the blow up ring in the pool, kick the soccer ball in the goal in the pool & numerous other games/activities. Ocean front views were breathtaking!! 5 pools (one swim-up pool bar). They had a variety show @ 9:45 pm every night that lasted about an hour....good variety each evening, usually something for everyone to enjoy each night. Also, if you stay at the Riu Palace Peninsula you can eat, drink, enjoy shows, utilize pools or whatever else they have to offer @ "3" of the Sister Riu Resorts @ no additional charge in Cancun, Mexico as well. This is ONLY offered if you stay @ the Riu Palace Peninsula. If you stay @ one of the other Riu Resorts (OTHER than Riu Palace Peninsula) then you do NOT get to enjoy the other Sister Riu Resorts!! This was our first time travelling abroad & one of the best vacations we've ever had. The weather was usually sunny & 85 degrees with a wonderful ocean breeze. We definately want to do this again...hopefully at this same resort as we don't think any other place will be able to top this experience of this "5 Star All Inclusive Resort." You won't regret staying here...... If you want to see some pictures &/or my video of our room itself, please feel free to contact me via "private message" on FaceBook @ Sandy McKenna-Micolichek or send me an e-mail @ smicolichek@gmail.com (Be sure to put CANCUN QUESTIONS as your SUBJECT LINE in the e-mail) so I notice your e-mail & can reply back to you as quickly as possible. Thank you!! :-)

Room Tip: We were on the 16th floor...room 1628. Breathtaking views of all the pools & full ocean view. We...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Just returned from a 7 day vacation at the RIU Palace Peninsula. I'll get to the punchline instead of going over details on the decor of the hotel which is what is important to me. Service was impeccable. The staff at this resort really go out of their way to make your stay very pleasant.

Food: The food was very Good for an All-Inclusive but it was not Great. You get what you pay for, decent good food not 5 star quality. For those who say they don't offer variety not sure what they are talking about because there is plenty. The upside down is the Reservation policy for the restaurants. It's very annoying that you can only make 1 reservation at a time with a 2 day lead, however we were able to try a new restaurant every night we where there.

Beach: It was great! Again so many negative reviews on the beach, not sure what these people are talking about. Blue calm waters, white sand, plenty of lounge chairs, shade, what else can you ask for? Was it a smaller stretch of beach? Yes, but still big enough to be spread out and in my opinion it was great.

Pool: Didn't spend much time, since I enjoyed the beach much better.

Noise level: Some people complaint it's too noisy…hhhmmmm? again not sure what they are talking about. They have midday activities in the activity pool but again, it's an activity pool so if your not interested then there's plenty of space 5 pools and a beach you can go to, to get away from the noise. I actually found it to be perfect noise level. Not loud like a party hotel filled with young crowd and not boring with a 0 level noise. It was the right balance. If you're in your 20's this place might be boring for you and if your in your 60's then it may be too loud. Great for 30's to 50's year olds.

Overall experience was great, however not sure if I'll return since my heart holds a special place in Playa del Carmen.

*******TIP*******Staff goes beyond to make your vacation a wonderful experience, so please TIP these hard working people. They only make about $8 per day so they depend on tips. Just because it's an all-inclusive does not mean you shouldn't tip. So sad so many people don't practice tipping and these people go far and beyond!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Würzburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Overall this is a good hotel with the good Riu standard. However there are a couple of factors which make your stay less comfortable than it could be. This is why I would not recommend this hotel to a friend.

The best things in the Riu Palace peninsula are:
- Great service and really dedicated staff - we had several examples where the staff really went out of their way for us (Freddy the doorman, Ithaka from reception, Mario from Las Olas restaurant)
- The food was really good - there was always enough variety for European and American tastes
- The beds are really good

The drawbacks are:

- The building has been constructed in a pretty cheap way - although it is only few years old, the rain is seeping through the windows, and even through the ceiling in the fitness center and even in the lobby

- The fitness center is very small compared to the demand - we regularly had to wait quite long before being able to exercise and a couple of times we could not exercise at all

- The staff instantly stop being friendly if you approach them near closing time in the restaurants or the fitness center or in an area where they are "not responsible". We were "thrown out" in a very unfriendly manner several times from the eating areas and the fitness center. Also when we wanted to have some additional water in the room from room service, the only answer we received was "We don't do water"

- The hotel stinks: During our first stay (2 days) we had a room on the 4th floor where the air conditioning pushed in a really bad smell. Even when we moved to the 9th floor during our second stay (7 days) the smell was still sometimes stinky. Overall I think they saved money on the air conditioning. Also the lobby stinks like a pub because people drink alcohol there all day - not the smell you like when you walk through the lobby for breakfast.

- The very cold light in the hotel room (energy saving light bulbs) really makes the room uncomfortable and not cozy at all. Even though the rooms are large and modern it's not really nice to spend time there because of the cold light.

- The internet is really slow in the room

- The animation near the pool is absolutely nerve wracking and it never stops. It is really really loud. On our first day after 2 hours of really primitive animation we asked the staff when the animation would be over - we found out that it is on from 10 in the morning until late afternoon. Unfortunately there is almost no way of escaping because it is so loud. So unless you go to the last corner of the beach, it will be hard to read a book.

- You really cannot drink the wine they offer. As this is an all-inklusive hotel, the drinks you get are really bad quality. I am not at all a sophisticated wine-drinker, but I really could not drink the wine they offer. I would have been happy to pay a few Euros for a decent glass of wine but unfortunately this is not possible.

- The beach is ok but definitely not the best you can have in Cancun

All in all this is a good hotel for a 4 star standard at a pretty high price, if you can live with the above points. I would not come back and would not recommend it to a friend.

Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

It is a new hotel, with pools of different styles, including a pool bar.
The variety of drinks and food is incredible.
All inclusive 24 hours, including a frigobar and a bar dispenser in the room.
Everyday the beverages and powdered coffe are replaced in the room.
The amenities are good.
There is italian, japanese, mexican, contemporary and overall restaurant included.
The beer is XX, whisky is Johnny Walker Red Label, tequila is Jose Cuervo and the soft drink is seven up, pepsi. The water is purified.
The beach water is clear and calm, like a pool.
The 4 pools are very clean and one has bar with seats, sunbeds and table inside.
For children, doesn´t have many attractions.
For adults is amazing! Mainly for who want to rest in a beautiful and relaxing place.
The hotel, services, food, beverages and pool area are so good that we didn´t want to make a lot of tours only for staying more time in the hotel.
The location is very good, has a bus stop in few steps.
There are dancing and singing shows at night.
I wanna return to this hotel, it is wonderful!
We recommend!!!

Cancun
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Recently spent two nights at this hotel as my plane was delayed for mechanical problems. Great place, food, beach, pools, rooms -- very impressive. Except for one thing.

I have lived in Cancun, know people, and I invited a lady friend over. She did not have the bracelet they give you when you're a client.
Damn, if everybody didn't bust a gut, starting with the doorman, who jumped on us like we were shoplifters, and paraded us up to the desk, where I had to negotiate options.

Since the Hotel is all-inclusive, I had no objection to paying for food and drink. However, they wanted me to pay another 100 dollars for her to stay the night, adding: SHE MUST LEAVE AT 6.30 am. Really? And if she left at 8.30 instead, that would hurt the hotel -- how exactly?

It's hard to know if this was just the staff trying to make some extra money or SOP in Cancun, as I have heard. Certainly wouldn't happen in Vegas.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
preston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Generally, this is a very impressive, new Riu hotel. The interior decor is very modern and the rooms are impressive and comfortable. We had a junior suite on the 11th floor with lovely views out to sea. The optics and fridge were kept well stocked and the liquor was internationally branded e.g. Smirnoff vodka.
Restaurants - plenty of choice in the main restaurant (even rib eye for breakfast and bloody Mary's for those who want it!) although the feel is more cafe or bistro like rather than formal dining. Fine for breakfast but didn't quite have the feel for me for evening dining. That's a personal observation. I'm sure the majority of diners are more than happy with it.
The Krystal fusion was very nice although the menu ( as it is in most do the a la carte restaurants) a bit limited. The cafe in the lobby is a gem and I'd recommend you try the chocolate strawberries! We used to get a coffee "to go" when we came off the beach and a plate of small cakes and strawberries to take back to the room and they were always delicious.
The Italian was also very good. Didn't need to book here for lunch or dinner and the food was excellent every time we went.
I'd recommend anyone who doesn't smoke to use the air conditioned part of the main restaurant for lunch. It's cool and no one's going to light up at the side of you. Bit further to walk to the buffet but well worth it!
The pool area is large but this is the only part of the hotel that I would criticise. It's very clean, as is the whole hotel, the waiter service is excellent. There's a lifeguard on duty and there's a lovely beach bar with hammocks where you can chill out and have a drink or a coffee. However, the big thing we really didn't like about this hotel was the volume of noise around the pool. Believe me, it was ridiculously noisy. The entertainment team started up mid morning and the speakers were set on maximum! I'm really not interested in who they are, where they are from and how to,do the 'Riu' dance. Nevertheless, they introduced themselves individually every day at length. I now feel that I know J LO's ex trainer personally! Seriously, we moved further and further from the pool every day until we were practically in the sea and you still couldn't get away from the noise. It was excruciating. I understand that they're playing to their main market - young Americans on a week or less break - but it put me off to the extent that I wouldn't go back to this hotel unless it designated a "quiet area" or was very, very cheap - neither of which is likely to happen! If you like that sort of thing you'll really love this hotel as it has a lot going for it.

Room Tip: All the rooms are really nice but they have villa rooms available which have swim up pools and their...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula? Share your experiences!