“1 week of fun in the sun” 5 of 5 stars

Best prices from these 7 sites
Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd Kukulkan, Km 5.5 Lote 6-C | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive Reward!
Ranked #10 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
Jeffersonville, PA
“1 week of fun in the sun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I recently returned from a week at this lovely resort.
This was my first trip to Cancun and my first time staying at a family resort.
I usually travel to Adults Only facilities, but they also tend to be a little lower in class.

I cannot say enough how suprised I was. Everything about this hotel was fantastic. Upon arrival at the massive lobby, I met with the lovely staff at the front desk, who informed me that my room was not quite ready, but would be available in a few hours. I was directed to their changing room, which was large and clean. Then off to explore the hotel grounds.

I was travelling with a group of approximately 80 singles, none of whom I had met before this trip. I found the group at the pool bar, where I also found some of the hardest working people at the resort. The entire pool staff work from early morning until just about dusk. Everyone at the bool bar and waitstaff should be commended for providing excellent service to the guests. The drinks are as stong as you would like, and they are ready to serve with a smile. One thing I did not read, which would have liked to have known is the beer they serve. They serve Dos Equis lager, Tecate Light and Novello dark lager. They also had Smirinoff and Absolute vodkas, and a variety of different labels of tequilla. Sorry but that is pretty much what I limited myself to on this visit.

I stayed in the Villas, which was the adult only VIP section of the hotel. It is detached from the main property, and I did not spend too much time there. It is quite and more reserved than the main hotel, and my room did include a hot tub on the deck facing the ocean. My only complaint with that was it took way too long to fill up.

The room was spacious and clean. I had to mention to the front desk after the 2nd day that I needed more water for the sink, and after that my refrigerator was full and I had plenty of beverages. Each room is provided with Pespsi products and beer. There are alos alcohol dispensers in the room, which I did not find that I needed, but were there if I did.

The food at the resort was much better than I had expected. I ate at the Italian restaurant several times (I recommend the chicken), the buffet a few times (See Francisco in the morning or at lunch, he was a peasure to see and always had a big smile and attended to our every need.)

Being a VIP, I was also given access to the Kulinarium, which is located at the VIP section of the hotel. That was the best meal I had all week. The food and service was spectacular. We celebrated one of the members birthday and all had a terrific time.

One night for another member's birthday, we ate at the "Steakhouse" which was ok. The reason for the quotes is this is part of the buffet restaurant which is sectioned off and is supposed to be a lot fancier than it actually is.

I did dine at the buffet 2 nights, one being Mexican night and the food was fantastic. David was carving fresh pork which was to die for. If you have that opportunity, you must try it!

My only real complaint about the resort is the lack of night life. As it is a family resort and there are so many attractions in town to go to, they do not have a disco or place to go after the shows. There is a 24 hour sports bar, but that seemed to be a meeting place and not really a great place for fun. After spending what I did on the resort, I really was not looking forward to spending more money on drinks or a show outside of the resort.

Room Tip: If you are looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of the hotel and are not travelling with k...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (613)
NEWCASTLE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed at RPP 16th April for one week - Weather was fab no rain/clouds the whole week.

I have stayed at numerous Riu's world wide over the past few years and i have never been dissapointed. The Riu's are split in to different categories, the 'Clubhotels' being more laid back and family friendly & the 'Palace' being that little bit better.
It was my first time staying at a Riu Palace and i couldn't find a fault. With the Palace hotels i think its the little things which make a difference... the 24 hour room service free of charge, champagne free of charge 24 hours a day, branded spirirts, a la carte restaurants including lunch time, and small detail like when ordering wine with dinner, you didnt just get a glass, you got the bottle of wine, at your table in a cooler. To me these are things which you wouldn't expect with a normal all inclusive.
The hotel itself is very modern, now i don't understand why people are complaining about the 'las vegas feel' and it being too modern... were these people blindfolded when they booked thier holiday? To me, it has the WOW factor, the rooms are white throughout, open bathroom, large balconies with sea views, jaccuzzi bath in rooom, coffee making facilities, iron and board, hair dryer, fully stocked mini bar (X beer, 7up, fanta, pepsi, diet pepsi) & optics on the wall of branded spirits.
We tried all of the a la carte restaurants bar the Japanese. All were great - Krystal Fusion being our fave - we ate here twice.... We were not keen on the starters/ tapas but the mains were AMAZING!!!
I loved the layout of the hotel - my fave place was the infinity pool onto the beach. There was always lots of areas and plently of loungers no matter what time. The beach was nice, it was small but had a nice atmosphere - you could visit the beach whichwas bigger at the Riu Caribe next door - we went along here to do the jet skis one day which was good.
Location of the hotel is good,m it was about £6 in a taxi to where the Riu Cancun was where all the shops and bars are. *TIP* taxi going was appros £6 - coming back from coco bongos taxi man tried to charge us £20 for the 3 minute journey - be aware*
Bars were good at the hotel - the beach bar was grat - David and his friend down there were great could not do enough - didn't get off my lounger/out the pool once for a drink the whole holiday. The coffee bar is also nice and do fab milkshakes!
We didnt really do any trips - we did cocobongo vip which was fab!! we did senro frogs one night (no memory of that) went to hard rock cafe & that was about it.
For me - this hotel / holiday ticks every box i am already planning a return trip - its not the cheapest place to go however it is the best value for money for what you get.
Only thing i would have liked would have been dressing gowns and slippers in the room but thats just me being picky :)

Thanks Riu - another amazing holiday :) xx

Room Tip: All rooms are sea view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Our stay at the hotel was in Feb 2013. We were there for 5 nights. Our original reservation was for the RIU Playacar in Playa del Carmen. Unfortunately, they overbooked the night and offered a FREE update to the RIU Palace in Cancun. Though, we weren't excited to stay in Cancun (as we LOVE Playa del Carmen area), we figured - why not?!? They covered our transportation from RIU Playacar to the RIU Palace. We did have to meet with our travel coordinator to reschedule our airport transfer, but that was painless. PLUS we gained an extra two hours on our last day because we the airport is closer.

About the resort. Gorgeous. Very modern. Not my typical experience when I stay in Mexico. Everything was new and very clean. The lobby is massive. A bit chilly at times. The grounds is very neat and

ROOM: Two double beds. Unfortunately, we (my husband and I) prefer a King. The two doubles were very comfortable. I loved the pillows. So much so, I took a picture of the tag in hopes to purchase one in the States. I don't recall the room number off hand, but the room was on the East wing and faced down the hotel strip. We could see the Caribbean and the lagoon. There wasn't a tall hotel next to us, so the view was amazing. We are people watchers, so it was nice to sit on the deck at night. In the morning, the sun shined in brightly - ok for me, not ok for my husband. Just make sure the curtains are drawn. At night, there is a little club/rec area next door where tourtist and locals can hang out. Most nights there was really loud music playing, but was quiet around 10-11pm anyways.

Housekeeping was there every day and did a great job. We receive a towel art/animal every day!! It's the simple things in life that brighten our days.

The room was very white and modern. The purple/pink bathroom sink was a nice added bling. Shower always had hot water. Whirlpool/jetted tub was great...but not for the sunburned body.

Top Shelf liqours in the dispenser. Bottled water, pop/soda, beer in the fridge. Just remember to leave a few extra buck in the fridge and you will get extras or whatever you ask for. I do believe they only stock the fridge every other day though.

BEACH: There really wasn't much of a beach. Majority of it is rocks, which I thought was kinda pretty. It was pretty windy at times laying by the rocks or beach. The pool is really where it's at. There are many small pools. Music varies at each one. Just find a spot, don't like it - move along and find a different spot the next day. We did find that most of the beach chairs filled up after breakfast. So if you are a planner and want a particular spot - go out early and stake your claim. You get 1 beach towel card per person. Kind of a bummer, since I like two - one to lay on and another to cover up (this is when I get sunburn of course...or it's windy just a little freeze baby I am)

STAFF: AWESOME! Jose at the lobby bar is funny. Don't let his height deter you. He can work the bar like no other. We enjoyed hanging out there as much as we could just to have Jose as our bartender. Food, front desk, housekeeping staff were all very nice. No issues.

FOOD: Unfortunately, we didn't try any restuarants other than the buffet and the Sports Bar. The buffet was delicious and a variety every night. Even with eating dinner/supper there every night, I still didn't get a chance to try everything. The buffet at breakfast and lunch has some variety. But I'm not going to complain as usually for breakfast I eat light, and lunch we eat whatever and wherever. There is something for everyone. The Sports bar had roller hot dogs and nachos. There was also fruit, sandwiches and other thing a refridgerator. All very convienent. Not bad tasting either. We did try room service one night. It does take longer and the food might be room temperature. Not bad, then again I didn't have high or low expectations.

TRANSPORTATION: We took the bus to tour the hotel strip. Very cheap. I think we paid $1USD a person one-way because we didn't want to have to worry about exact change.There is a bus stop across the street to go East/South along the strip. On the way back, there is a bus stop a short walk before the hotel. Simple.

SAFETY: We did not feel our safety was harmed at any point in time. Keep your valuables locked in the room safe if they are not with you. Don't leave your valuables on your beach chair, again just in case. Would you really leave your things out at other vacation spot? No.

Overall, We would stay at the resort again. However, my husband and I never stay at the same place more than once. That's the point of traveling! We are easy going and don't have high expectations.

Room Tip: Rooms facing East will have a great view of the Caribbean, hotel strip and the lagoon
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We were at the Hotel in May 2013 and had a really good time, the rooms were very clean and have a perfect ocean view location, the staff were very attentive and food was delicious with a different menu almost everyday.
Beach is small in this area but we enjoyed the big pool and the service in the beach area was excellent, almost every 10 minutes the waiter passed and asked is we need anything.

Room Tip: We definitely will come back to this hotel, we had a great time with our kids.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Broadbrook
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I w as at the RIU peninsula in April had a great time 2 days into our stay I spoke to a manager about our room overlooking the band we had a four year old and could not sleep at night she offered to move us great next day went to front desk to speak with someone about changing our room she told me I had to check out at 12 o'clock and come back at 300 o'clock to check back in I asked what we should do for three hours and she told me to find something outside to do I said no thank you and stayed in the same room I was not happy at all I felt I was not treated properly I have stayed at the RIU resorts three times before and never was treated like this I will be back but will think twice about staying there I feel I should have been treated better after staying at your resorts three times before I should have been offered an up grade

Room Tip: Don't stay near where band plays
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The hotel was very nice, however, if you've ever stayed anywhere better it's a little disappointing. If you're an inexperienced traveler to this area it will be amazing. The staff throughout the hotel is absolutely wonderful, with the exception of the front desk. Anytime we had to ask them something they made us feel like we were bothering them. We only went up to them 3-4 times, including check in/out, so it's not like we were bothersome. The spa was awesome! Their website said they accepted travelers checks....they don't. One of our friends chose to travel with these, they were not helpful by any means. I felt like the situation was handled very poorly. If you've become accustomed to top shelf liquor, be prepared.....they don't have any. Probably a great place for twenty something's. Us over thirty crowd.....not so much.

Room Tip: It seemed like they gave the "we upgraded you" speech to everyone that walked in the door.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Personally I was disappointed. On a previous trip I had stayed at the Riu Palace Americas and loved it. This was not as enjoyable. The food was fair at the buffet. The restaurants were good. We were concerned that there was no "check-in" process for the kids club so we only left them once. The beach is small and rocky. The open bathtubs in the junior suites are great if you're on your honeymoon but difficult if you're with someone who needs privacy. There were only 3 elevators on our side of the building and rarely were all 3 working. When they did work, they were scary! We had wind/rain 2 of 4 days there. The refrigerator in our room didn't work well. Also the 2 beds in our rooms were tiny - very difficult for 2 people to sleep on. Last but not least the nightly entertainment was poor one night and good the other nights. However, the venue is open and so you're basically outside. It was tremendously hot and therefore difficult to enjoy. Sounds like the worst vacation in the history of the world, huh? That became the motto of this trip for the 8 of us. We probably won't return to this hotel or to Cancun in May. Just sayin'.

Room Tip: The one good thing is that almost every room has an ocean view. We had paid extra for it but it pro...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula? Share your experiences!