“Wonderful Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd Kukulkan, Km 5.5 Lote 6-C | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Early Winter Specials
Ranked #10 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Bladensburg, Maryland
“Wonderful Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I love this hotel...The first night I stayed in room 822...the view was great...I didn't think it could get any better until I upgraded the next day...Room 1007 was Epic...Not only do you get a view of the pool and the beach you also get a view of the cancun hotel strip...you also can see the lagoon...in my opinion any 07 room would be great to have...I also had the jacuzzi that sat in the middle of the balcony....The staff and service was great...The bus stop was right outside the hotel and the buses run 24/7...The location was great...you're not on the hotel strip but you're only a few minutes from it....the swim up bar is always fun...the food was great...I ate the buffet every night...Seafood night was the best....The Riu definitely exceeded my expectations...I will be going back as soon as I can!!!!

Room Tip: Any 07 room is great...They have the best views!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This is my first review. I enjoy reading the reviews on here for other places I go, so thought I would give my contribution as well.

The RIU Penninsula is the first all inclusive resort I've ever stayed in, so take that into account as well. I've stayed in plenty of hotels, and been on a handful of cruises.

The resort - It was awesome. It was just under a year old and I thought it looked in perfect condition. The only reason I didn't give it a perfect score is because our rooms shower area did not have a door on it. I know there were supposed to be doors because I checked other videos of the rooms on youtube. Didn't complain about it though, since it wasn't a big deal. The grounds were perfect, always clean, and there were always staff around cleaning and making sure your stay was good.

The food - I couldn't ask for better or more selection, and it was all very good. The buffet was so good, we didn't even try the restaurants, which you do have to get a reservation for, but from my research, you have to do that in all resorts. The refrigerator was always stocked and nice!

The drinks - Never an issue at all. Some were stronger than others, but they were all very good. Hardly ever had to wait. The guys at the pool and beach came around often, and when I wanted one before they came back around, I just walked up to the bar and got one.

If you read reviews about the decor, it's just crazy that people wouldn't like it. It's new, it's modern, it's clean. Maybe they weren't trying to be like every other resort, and that's a good thing. Seriously, there is this thing called the internet, and you can look up any hotel and see photos or pictures to see if what the place looks like would be an issue.

Room Tip: The higher you stay, the better the view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We have just returned from the Riu Palace Peninsula and would recommend this hotel. Whilst in Cancun we visited all the other 3 Riu hotels in the vicinity and found that the Peninsula to be the most luxurious. Our room had a jacuzzi in it (the plug didn't work), but I would have preferred a screen to have separated the bathroom from the sleeping area, but this is just a small detail but could have been embarrassing if we were traveling as a family. Why people complain about the food is beyond me - there are 5 in-house a la carte restaurants to choose from as well as the buffet so I cannot understand what the problem is regarding the food - the only restaurant that I wouldn't recommend was the Mexican, the staff tended to be rude, and the food not brilliant, but the others especially the Kalubarium and Fusion restaurants were excellent both in their choice of food and service. The Italian restaurant which you were not required to book was also a pleasant surprise. We used this restaurant frequently it was a treat to be served the meal and not have the bother of the buffet and the food was excellent. All restaurants and buffet are of excellent quality (except for the Mexican) which would be successful in any high street. I agree that the bar staff worked hard and the drinks were good quality, albeit watered down somewhat, but for the 2 weeks that we were there saw no-one drunk which was a pleasant surprise. All in all an excellent holiday and would recommend the hotel to anyone.

Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Beautiful hotel, very good service, food and drink also very good...what more could you ask for? Although I like the more traditional decor, the modern looks of the hotel are a nice change. Went to see the Las Americas and much preferred the Peninsula. Can't quite figured out the comments about the pools being cold, we thought the water temperature was perfect (was it that much different in March?). All drinks at the bar were good, if you want a premium liquor, just ask or you will more than likely get the bar brand. Had a room on the 15th floor, beautiful view but as others have stated all rooms would have a nice view. Exception to that would be the Jacuzzi suites behind the front block, they would have no water view at all. Don't waste your money on those since your balcony jacuzzi has no privacy at all, and no view - Yuck!! Went to all the a la cartes except Mexican and all were very good. Would return here in a heart beat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

We have been here a week now and would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone.,.,,OK so it's not 'on the strip', but you can walk bus/taxi etc. we have met people here who have stayed at riu palace las Americas and say there's no contest...,,THIS resort is MUCH better!
Food is fantastic..... We would echo those who say that if you can't find anything to eat here, you are VERY fussy.....from pizza/pasta to salad bars with anything you want and about 20 different dressings....to fresh carving stations/Mexican specialities.....so far we have dined at the steakhouse (fantastic steak/chicken, lobster SLIGHTLY overdone), going to Japanese tonight and Krystal fusion tomorrow for anniversary....,staff absolutely the jewel in the crown, you are made to feel like a king or queen!!! Also a small tip goes a long way. Beach is rocky but that adds to the charm, and if you go into the water where 'iguana rock' is, there's a smooth sandy bottom. Also a note to the person who stated there's no tongs for serving food...,,,where were you looking????? No holiday tummy at all!!!!! One word if you're undecided.......GO!!! You won't be disappointed. I would also advise taking. Higher factor sunblock than you normally use....sun VERY hot, and it's easy to get burned (even after sitting out in egyptian sun lol).

Tip...staying for 10th wedding anniversary, we emailed in advance and asked for a higher floor with king sized bed and Ice machine on floor, and that's exactly what we got!

• Stayed April 2013
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stayed There April 2013. The Room Are The Best Jacuzzi In The Middle Of Room Beautiful Decor !!! Had A Ocean View Room And The View Is The Best!!! Not To Far From The Clubs A Dollar Bus Ride Or A 15 Dollar Cab Ride. The Service Was Great Everyone Was Friendly. The Only Real Problem I Had With The Hotel Was The Food!!! It Was The Same Thing Everyday And I Don't Eat Pork And On The Menu It Would Say Cesar Salad But THey Didn't Say It Had Bacon In It!!! But Overall I Enjoyed My Stay There!!!!

Cancun, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed at the hotel at the end of November 2012. We have never had such good service anywhere...hands down the best! The rooms were beautiful and taken care of perfectly everyday.
All the restaurants were great including the buffet which we at almost every morning.
Beach is awesome and the wait staff is very attentive when your glass becomes empty! Try the passion drink....mmmmm! Will definitely return!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula? Share your experiences!