“First trip to Cancun and a RIU hotel (March 1-6)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd Kukulkan, Km 5.5 Lote 6-C | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Fall Getaway
Ranked #11 of 174 hotels in Cancun
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
“First trip to Cancun and a RIU hotel (March 1-6)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This is my first review. I enjoy reading the reviews on here for other places I go, so thought I would give my contribution as well.

The RIU Penninsula is the first all inclusive resort I've ever stayed in, so take that into account as well. I've stayed in plenty of hotels, and been on a handful of cruises.

The resort - It was awesome. It was just under a year old and I thought it looked in perfect condition. The only reason I didn't give it a perfect score is because our rooms shower area did not have a door on it. I know there were supposed to be doors because I checked other videos of the rooms on youtube. Didn't complain about it though, since it wasn't a big deal. The grounds were perfect, always clean, and there were always staff around cleaning and making sure your stay was good.

The food - I couldn't ask for better or more selection, and it was all very good. The buffet was so good, we didn't even try the restaurants, which you do have to get a reservation for, but from my research, you have to do that in all resorts. The refrigerator was always stocked and nice!

The drinks - Never an issue at all. Some were stronger than others, but they were all very good. Hardly ever had to wait. The guys at the pool and beach came around often, and when I wanted one before they came back around, I just walked up to the bar and got one.

If you read reviews about the decor, it's just crazy that people wouldn't like it. It's new, it's modern, it's clean. Maybe they weren't trying to be like every other resort, and that's a good thing. Seriously, there is this thing called the internet, and you can look up any hotel and see photos or pictures to see if what the place looks like would be an issue.

Room Tip: The higher you stay, the better the view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

1,833 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We have just returned from the Riu Palace Peninsula and would recommend this hotel. Whilst in Cancun we visited all the other 3 Riu hotels in the vicinity and found that the Peninsula to be the most luxurious. Our room had a jacuzzi in it (the plug didn't work), but I would have preferred a screen to have separated the bathroom from the sleeping area, but this is just a small detail but could have been embarrassing if we were traveling as a family. Why people complain about the food is beyond me - there are 5 in-house a la carte restaurants to choose from as well as the buffet so I cannot understand what the problem is regarding the food - the only restaurant that I wouldn't recommend was the Mexican, the staff tended to be rude, and the food not brilliant, but the others especially the Kalubarium and Fusion restaurants were excellent both in their choice of food and service. The Italian restaurant which you were not required to book was also a pleasant surprise. We used this restaurant frequently it was a treat to be served the meal and not have the bother of the buffet and the food was excellent. All restaurants and buffet are of excellent quality (except for the Mexican) which would be successful in any high street. I agree that the bar staff worked hard and the drinks were good quality, albeit watered down somewhat, but for the 2 weeks that we were there saw no-one drunk which was a pleasant surprise. All in all an excellent holiday and would recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Beautiful hotel, very good service, food and drink also very good...what more could you ask for? Although I like the more traditional decor, the modern looks of the hotel are a nice change. Went to see the Las Americas and much preferred the Peninsula. Can't quite figured out the comments about the pools being cold, we thought the water temperature was perfect (was it that much different in March?). All drinks at the bar were good, if you want a premium liquor, just ask or you will more than likely get the bar brand. Had a room on the 15th floor, beautiful view but as others have stated all rooms would have a nice view. Exception to that would be the Jacuzzi suites behind the front block, they would have no water view at all. Don't waste your money on those since your balcony jacuzzi has no privacy at all, and no view - Yuck!! Went to all the a la cartes except Mexican and all were very good. Would return here in a heart beat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

We have been here a week now and would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone.,.,,OK so it's not 'on the strip', but you can walk bus/taxi etc. we have met people here who have stayed at riu palace las Americas and say there's no contest...,,THIS resort is MUCH better!
Food is fantastic..... We would echo those who say that if you can't find anything to eat here, you are VERY fussy.....from pizza/pasta to salad bars with anything you want and about 20 different dressings....to fresh carving stations/Mexican specialities.....so far we have dined at the steakhouse (fantastic steak/chicken, lobster SLIGHTLY overdone), going to Japanese tonight and Krystal fusion tomorrow for anniversary....,staff absolutely the jewel in the crown, you are made to feel like a king or queen!!! Also a small tip goes a long way. Beach is rocky but that adds to the charm, and if you go into the water where 'iguana rock' is, there's a smooth sandy bottom. Also a note to the person who stated there's no tongs for serving food...,,,where were you looking????? No holiday tummy at all!!!!! One word if you're undecided.......GO!!! You won't be disappointed. I would also advise taking. Higher factor sunblock than you normally use....sun VERY hot, and it's easy to get burned (even after sitting out in egyptian sun lol).

Tip...staying for 10th wedding anniversary, we emailed in advance and asked for a higher floor with king sized bed and Ice machine on floor, and that's exactly what we got!

• Stayed April 2013
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stayed There April 2013. The Room Are The Best Jacuzzi In The Middle Of Room Beautiful Decor !!! Had A Ocean View Room And The View Is The Best!!! Not To Far From The Clubs A Dollar Bus Ride Or A 15 Dollar Cab Ride. The Service Was Great Everyone Was Friendly. The Only Real Problem I Had With The Hotel Was The Food!!! It Was The Same Thing Everyday And I Don't Eat Pork And On The Menu It Would Say Cesar Salad But THey Didn't Say It Had Bacon In It!!! But Overall I Enjoyed My Stay There!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cancun, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed at the hotel at the end of November 2012. We have never had such good service anywhere...hands down the best! The rooms were beautiful and taken care of perfectly everyday.
All the restaurants were great including the buffet which we at almost every morning.
Beach is awesome and the wait staff is very attentive when your glass becomes empty! Try the passion drink....mmmmm! Will definitely return!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Norman, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights at this resort and wish we could have stayed a little longer...

Rooms: We stayed in the Superior Ocean View room which was on the 14th floor.. The view was amazing.. Anyone that has a complaint about the rooms are just to snooty... The maids did a great job everyday and restocked the refrigerator every day.. Leave a couple dollars people they work hard to make it nice for you.... The toilet got plugged but I just called down and they came right up to fix it...Didn't have anymore problems with that... The bed was nice and oh they do have t.v. in English that we slept to one night..

Buffet: We had the buffet every morning and one night.. Buffet had tons of choices and let me just so I love, love the fresh fruit.. I tried caviar for the first time and found it really freakin good...

"Venecia" restaurant has a buffet and several dishes to choose from.. One day I had the shrimp dish and the next some type of fish, can't remember either way it was really good... The salad buffet was really good... Try it you don't need reservations...

"Kabuki" the Doshi soup was really fishy...yuck ! the sushi was pretty yummy and so was the chicken dish I had..Can't remember the names from drinking to much during the day... "Don't Judge"

"Isla Mujeres" Excellent fish tray with crab, octopus and oyster... NO oyster for me though... The steak and lobster were really good.

"Tamales" Buffet and Beef fajitas with all the fixings..

Krystal- was also amazing..I had the snapper and enjoyed every bite..

As you can see if you want to eat at any of these restaurants you should be able to get a reservation...Just go early to get reservations.. Believe it's 8:00 a.m..

Ok, so lets talk drinks... If you drink beer I had a lot of Challada's this is beer with lime (Dos Equis) I usually drink Bud Light or Blue Moon light beers so this was pretty good to me..... My hubby drank Tacate Light most of the time...
Tequila shots were yummy Don Julios is pretty top shelf... Also the margaritas, mudslides, pina colada, Miami Vice, Chocolate martinis, and Komakazi's yummy!!! They should have just about anything you want...

Diego, Gilberto, Alejandro, Bernardo and Jesus were all freakin amazing... TIP THEM and they will keep them coming... They all have such great attitudes..

"Beach" always plenty of room at the beach to swim or just chill laying out...

Massage and Pedi.... Ask for Dayce she gives an incredible massage... I have had a few here in the states and I must say that this was the best... TIP her!!
The pedi was really nice too...Very clean facilities and I didn't have to worry about getting a fungus like most shops here in the states..

Ok so I read a lot of reviews before I booked this hotel, YES there is a lot of purple but if you don't like purple book another hotel....I thought everything in the hotel was absolutely beautiful, the staff were always cleaning....
I read several reviews about a smell in the halls .. The only thing I smelt was a tropical climate.. The shower water has an order.. It's a different country everything is not going to be the same....
You can ride the public bus to any part of the seven for a dollar but be sure to hold on....The drive very fast... oh and watch your kids crossing the streets....

Senor Frogs party barge... If you like to dance, drink and PARTY the you will have a good time you will love it... Check it out...We booked this trip through are Lomus rep...

Room Tip: Superior Ocean View is 10th floor or higher... Sure thing you will have a great view...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula? Share your experiences!