“Great new hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd Kukulkan, Km 5.5 Lote 6-C | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Early Winter Specials
Ranked #10 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
“Great new hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

This was my first time to be at an all inclusive hotel. This hotel is very nice and the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. I would recommend anyone to stay here. Family, couples, singles. There is something for everyone. The food was excellent and the drinks never stopped.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I have recently returned from a long weekend trip to Riu Palace Peninsula. This RIU Palace as mentioned in other reviews is completely different in décor and lay out than other Palace’s in Mexico. I thought the modern furniture and themes were nice and not over the top. Check in was fast and I was given an ocean view room that was lovely. The room does lack privacy and there is no appropriate space to change your clothes in. The shower is big with protected shelves and the toilet does have a door for privacy. The pool area was magnificent with multiple shaded areas and umbrellas. There are 2 bars serving the beach and pool areas and wait time for drinks was short. The breakfast and lunch buffets were great but the offerings didn’t change that much day to day. The first night we dined in the Italian restaurant which is a non-reservation restaurant currently. The service was prompt and the food was good. On the day of check in, I was able to make a reservation for the 3rd night of our stay at the Steakhouse. The standard menu was offered and the food came out pre-prepared in mass (i.e. potato with sauce on top already). I had the surf and turf and the steak tasted of tenderizer. My friend did use the nail service at the spa and they were very accommodating. The live music in the lobby bar at night was very enjoyable for before or after dinner. We watched one of the shows and thought that the house band was very talented. The show was a level above the usual high school like productions that can go on. I did take a snorkeling trip with Scuba Caribe that was just out from shore about 10 minutes to a protected reef. The trip was just snorkeling and that was great. The pickup location is at the end of the adjacent Riu property which is under construction. It was a bit of a trek to go up and down the manmade beach front. Overall a very nice trip to another beautiful Riu Palace.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

RIU Palace Peninsula
We booked this hotel from May 19-22, 2012 in hopes that this new resort would exceed our last horrendous experience and checked out with the same feeling as our prior experience.

Employees here are beyond lazy, lazy is an understatement because no one wants to work. We stayed in room number 708 which has the outside oceanfront Jacuzzi. It is impossible to reach guest services or customer service at night. I had to continuously call Salvador in room service, for him to try to connect me to the front desk to set up the wake up call alarm for the next morning. This process would take at least 30 minutes every night and when we would go downstairs all the employees are standing around behind the customer service desk, talking amongst each other ignoring the phones! God forbid an emergency actually happens, the hotel staff would be the last to know of the situation! Even after setting up the wake up call we were still woken up past the original time we had scheduled. Ordering room service took at least an hour for us to receive and the food was cold, like if it was just sitting there and no one paid any attention to it. I can recall one night around 10:00PM where I called room service to order a Diet Pepsi and they wanted to transfer me to the bar. For what?! Can’t they bring it to me themselves?! After waiting past 12:00AM, we went to sleep and received a call from an employee close to 200AM, with an attitude, stating that she was knocking on our door and that we weren’t answering. Are you kidding me?! By then we figured we were never going to be receiving the Diet Pepsi and had gone to sleep. But seriously, I understand a new resort must be busy adjusting but approximately 4 hours to receive a non-alcoholic drink is a joke. On another night, the resort seemed to be having some satellite issues and none of the TV’s in the rooms were working, they had lost signal.

We were not at all surprised that the food here was just as tasteless as it was in the RIU Palace Punta Cana. The buffet food was a challenge just to get down and the restaurant food was worst. We weren’t the only guests complaining either, there were other guests who were complaining with the servers, repeatedly asking for other plates of food in hopes that the next one would be better than the last. Amongst all the waiters, only Yvonne from Las Olas restaurant was the only employee who was working and made meals somewhat pleasant. As far as the drinks go, this resort uses the same bar menu as the RIU Palace Punta Cana, same drinks with the same taste, full of sugar that are impossible to stomach.

The resort also looks like it was rushed to open, there are countless grammatical errors in signs, menus, etc. For example, the coffee bar cappuccino is spelled, “Capuchino” Appetizers on some of the menus are spelled, “Appetisers” Cranberry on the pool bar menu are spelled, “Camberry” And these are just a few of the mistakes. On our arrival only one of the many elevators were in working order, making it a line of 20 minutes just to get to our rooms. We even befriended one of the guests in line with us to get into the elevators who told us that the elevators were without light a few days before.

Upon our last day before departure, while we were relaxing getting some sun by the pool one of the entertainment employees came up to us and said, “Chicas, van a participar en el evento del baile?” We felt shocked that an employee would come up to us and make a racial slur and discriminate because of our sexual orientation and have to courage to say it out loud enough to make it public. The assistant hotel director who I believe is Spanish is also extremely rude and you can never get a word out when talking to him.

This is the last straw for us with the RIU, no one at these resorts seems to care or even make little effort to make sure guests have a positive experience. I am sure that if Mr. Juan Riu or Mr. Luis Riu Bertrán were here with us today they would be disenchanted with their resorts and the way they are being managed on a daily basis and would make every single effort to have every guest check out with a smile on their faces, with the feeling of them wanting to come back not run away from the resorts.

• Stayed May 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

After staying in everyone of the Riu's in the Cancun and Riveria this was one of the most relaxing time my wife and I have enjoyed there. For this hotel to have been open only the 3rd week when we arrived the check in to check out was great. The only thing that my wife and I feel that needs a little and I mean only a little is the buffet food, the Riu Cancun out if all has the best food selection. The rooms and the beds are great for a couple, if you had children I can see it would be a problem with the open shower area into the room as the pictures show. The workers, waiters, managers, desk managers, spa managers to the room service could not have been more pleasant .. Thank You Riu for another great summer vacation and looking forward to our 10th year in 2013, lord willing.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Warrington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Just got back from 2 weeks at the Palace Peninsula and the 3rd time to Cancun , last year we went twice to the Azul Sensatori by Karisma Hotel and is a better hotel than the Peninsula with Concierge personnel service and much better 24 hr room service food. The holiday started badly you could last year after going via customs got straight outside to the taxis,but not this year you have to fill another customs form out which you are given in the airport and wait in a very long line of people,when you finally arrive at the front to hand in the form you then press a button if it come up green you walk out to the taxis if it come up red you have the unpack you luggage for inspection after a 10hr flight from the UK what do they think you are importing.
When we finally arrived at the the hotel it looks very impresive and new,the booking in was very quick and we asked for a lower floor room because my wife has a problem with her knees walking up and down stairs she is in a lot of pain and there are 17 floors and in case of a fire you cannot use the lifts, so we got a room on the lowest floor which is the 1st floor there are no rooms on the ground floor.The next day we went to the pool area no problem getting a sun lounger but this is when the problems started for my wife no chairs to sit on she cannot get up and down off a sun longer.Asked for a chair for her sit on said they would proved on every day but it never came.
after 2 days when had to upgrade to a VIP villa which where on the ground floor which she could sit out side next to the VIP pool but it cost us a extra £400.
The hotel is not for very small children say up to the age of 10 the children pool is very small with no room for sun loungers around it,there is no outside childrens play area with swings and climbing frames and slides and no evening disco for the children like other hotels
The food is not 5 star food and most of the time only just warm not hot and served on cold plates but it did improve on the second week after talking to the manager,there is only house wine avilable and just about drinkable,on week one we went to the steakhouse and had to to send it back 3 times to get it hot and on hot plates but on the second week on my wifes birthday the service had improved a lot.The dress code is not 5 star shorts/flip flops being worn for dinner by both ladies and men.
The beach area is very rocky apart from a small area about 20mtrs long while we where there 3 people badly cut there feet on glass bottles that where in the sand under the water also there there ia a lot of sea weed washed up but the staff try and clean it up very day,the sand is very course up to near the waters edge then it is like real beach sand near the waters edge.
The food quality dress code needs to be improved before i could say this a 5 star hotel

Room Tip: Do not pay extra for a sea view room £7 per night with Thomson upgrade to ground floor a VIP villa w...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

5 of us traveled to the Riu Palace Peninsula and was the most needed relaxing vacation. The hotel was beautiful – in my opinion I think they were going with a New Orleans style with the masks and color themes throughout the hotel.
To start after reading the reviews I was a little worried – especially since we booked before it was even open. I read in one of the reviews we were supposed to get drinks on arrival and we didn’t. NO worries –the bar is right next to check in.
We were all upgraded without an extra charge. Upgraded means up a floor not a suite.
We asked to be by each other and three of us were on floor six and two of us were on floor 11 on opposite’s sides of the hotel.

The rooms were open style. Hope your really close with the people you are rooming with because there is no where to have any privacy even the shower is kind of see through.
The bathroom needs a fan and the bathtub is in the middle of the room.
The beds were super comfortable and the balconies were different from one floor to the next. I think because one was above the hole in the hotel. On another note – when it rained it came inside in the hallways by the rooms and also in the lobby and the gym, they had buckets and maids cleaning, I think they just need to reseal the windows.

The pools were perfect – great for shade if you wanted and plenty of sun all around if you wanted that. Be careful by the swim up bar they only put liquor in your drinks if you ask for it – strange, but they say it’s because the kids go to that bar. In my opinion they shouldn’t allow kids in that pool at all. The waiters were great around the pool, but if you asked for water they never brought it. Restrooms by the pool were hard to come by – there was on all the way by where you have breakfast and lunch and another by the gift shop – they should have put on in the Tobago bar area if your by the beach or infinity pool that would have been a great place. The restrooms were very clean though – there was always someone outside make sure they were spotless.

The beaches – there were two to chose from, but I don’t know why they would even have chairs on one because there so may rocks. The other beach was perfect – just the seaweed was annoying. There were people selling stuff on the rocks, I felt bad for them, but they pretty much stayed on the rocks unless called over.

The bars we went to all of them – the swim up bar, Tobago bar on the beach, the bar inside the lobby and the sports bar – all with great service – of course you have to tip to get even better service.

The food/restaurants after reading the reviews I was worried about reservations for the restaurants, but they were right you could only make two a day – so by the time the end of vacation was near there were no more reservations left for Thursday and Friday, but it was good to get off the hotel grounds – we were just getting sick of the food there.
The buffet was interesting – breakfast and lunch were in there – we made bellini’s with the champagne that was served at breakfast and the peaches in the fruit area.
I would rate the food a 2 – it was edible, but not what I would consider for a 4 Star resort.
We were able to get into the Italian (which didn’t need a reservation) since we are from North NJ and some of us Italian not a good way to start the vacation – maybe if you were drunk, but I would recommend the chicken dish for sure.
The Mexican restaurant disappointed us we really wanted authentic Mexican. Enchiladas, fajitas, Tamales, Chimichangas – but none of that was there. So we went off on our last night to Paloma Bonita which is a quick bus ride away by Dreams Resort – this place was phenomenal and just what we were looking for if you want Real Mexican.
The Japanese was the best by far – it wasn’t the greatest but if I had to one in top place this one would be it.
We didn’t get an opportunity to go to the Krystal Fusion place so two times we left the resort – once for a Outback Steakhouse –it was watch NHL game there and get a free beer with meal and the Mexican restaurant Paloma Bonita.

Room Tip: All rooms were facing the ocean - so you have no need to worry - you could hear everything that goes...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Just got home last night after a week in Paradise.
No resort is perfect, and if that is what you expect then you will most likely be disappointed anywhere you stay. To us it all boils down to, "Did we enjoy our stay?" The answer is a resounding YES and the reason for giving this new resort a 5 out of 5. It is so easy to fixate on the negative (which I will detail later) but we try to really enjoy the positives which were abundant and overwelming.

The views of the grounds, pools, beach and ocean are dramatic and panoramic from most of the rooms. All rooms have views of the ocean, though the higher up you are, the greater the "Wow" factor. The 6 air-conditioned elevators are fast, efficient and complete. Good sized balcony with tempered glass half wall for an excellent view of the pools, beaches and faux Mayan ruins dominated, manicured grounds. Our room on the 10th floor was directly above the theater on the West wing, but with the glass sliding door closed, it was almost impossible to hear the music of the live entertainment below inside of our room. Even though we were near the end of the wing that is close to the remodeling at the Caribe next door, we heard zero construction noise while in our room (and almost none while out for that matter). One day during our stay maintance was going from room to room to install foam seals around the room door so maybe that helped.

The VIP Villas are located even closer to the construction at the Caribe than the main resort building. Noise here could be more noticable. The VIP area has a nice pool, and a large hot tub on every patio, but are only 3 stories high and lack the view of the regular rooms. There is not other difference between them and what the non-VIP guest enjoy. Whatever the upcharge is for these Villas it is too much. I would much rather stay in the regular rooms with the better views. What little noise we did hear in the room came from the rare noisey inconsiderate guest in the hallway. One thing we like about all of the 4 Riu Palaces we have stayed at is that they have a low tolerance for loud, inconsiderate guest. Four times during our week long stay we saw Riu employees calm guest down that were getting carried away. No evidence of any hard feelings after any of them that we could tell. This is clearly not a "party" resort.

No, we did not like the open, European style bathroom set up. My bride and I have been together for 38 years, but still enjoy a bit of privacy. It was a minor inconvinence for one of us to step out on the balcony or go downstairs to provide that privacy for the other. Not much different than at home really. The beds, pillows, towels, etc are all new and comfortable. More pillows and blankets in the large closet that also contain the iron, large safe, and all the hangers you might want. The sitting area is not a step down as it is in the other Riu Palaces we've stayed at. The 40" LCD TV is mounted on the wall oposite the bed and does not swivel to face this sitting area. The sitting area contains a small comfortable couch and coffee table with good lighting on one side, a small table and two chairs on the other. Very nice, large shower with both overhead and wall mounted wand water supply. Shampoo/body wash in the wall mounted dispenser is very handy. Never found it slippery though one other guest mentioned to us that their shower was. Double basin sink with modern faucets and wall mounted hair dryer on one side, wall mounted magnifing mirror on the other. We did not use the jacuzzi tub located between the sink and the bed very much, though I could see how this would increase the humidity inside the room if it was used often. The standard Riu wet bar with a packed fridge and 4 750ml bottles of liquors, as well as a drip coffee maker and extra bottles of water. Overall, the room is a bit stark compared to other Riu Palace rooms we have had, but we didn't spend much in the way of non-sleep time there either. We were comfortable in our room and always slept well.

One of the things we liked most about this resort is how close the porch buffet seating was to the beach and the million dollar view of the ocean, I'd estimate 50 feet for some tables. Since the beach on this side of the grounds is small, that puts the shore line only another 40 feet away - close enough to hear the waves and feel the breeze fresh off the water while enjoying a meal. On the extreme East end of the buffet porch they have an air conditioned glass walled in room that still provides great views but stops the breeze from cooling off your food too fast. This is a unique feature of this resort that every guest should experience. I would say that 75% of the resort's shore line is this small, rockey variety made up of 6-8 foot high volcanic rock ledge with steps cut into it at various points leading to the shore. Offshore here has a sandy bottom for maybe 75 feet. The main swimming area takes up the other 25% of the shore line and sports a great beach, plenty large enough and never crowded while we were there. The sand here is mostly fine, not filled with the gravel and small crustaceans you would find on the beaches of Playa del Carmen. The sandy bottom here extends much further off shore at a gentle slope than it does by the rock ledge shore. There are some rocks offshore in the swimming area that are easily identified by their darker color. Since the water front faces Isle Mujeres and not the open ocean, the waves are much smoother than those facing the ocean directly. We never had a problem finding loungers at the beach or pool side. No need for the towel game to reserve loungers here. As noted by others, the palm trees are freshly transplanted so the shade provided is minimal until the branches grow out. The palm trees by the main beach provide more shade. Here there are also a few beach beds (that I never saw used) and a nice beach bar, sitting area on one side, table and chairs on the other. It is nice to have a bathroom located so close to the beach area too.

The pool bar also provides tables and chairs with excellent views of the ocean. On the back side of it is located the swim up bar with it's own small pool. There are no bathrooms at the pool bar, the nearest being on the ground floor under the main buffet porch. There is also a bathroom close to the lobby by the 24 hour sports bar. The lobby bar is a bit small and can get busy as folks are there in the early evening for a pre-dinner drink. Live piano (or small band) music is provided from 6:30 to 8:30 each evening. Two bars on either side of the theater also open at 6:PM. Drink service at all locations are below the normal Riu Palace standards and we could tell that they are working to improve this. All bartenders are friendly and will make your drink however you ask. If you'd rather have the Chivas Regal 12 year old than the Johnnie Walker Red Label, you only need to specify. Absolut rather than the Smirnoff? Just tell them. If you forget, they'll make a new one. I saw no diffrence in the service quality wether they were tipped or not. At the bars service was always quick, drink service at the table, beach or pool was always lacking a bit. Room service is available, but we never had a need for it.

Daytime activities are located by the large activities pool. Nearby is the quiet pool. Equally large, it features a long ramp to enter the pool at one end. The large infinity pool is located just above the swimming beach and is beautiful. None of these pools were crowded while we were there, though the smaller pool at the swim up bar could get that way in the afternoons. VIP guest staying at the Villas have their own large infinity pool. All pools were cleaned each morning and were sparkling fresh. I would hate to guess the freshness of the water of the swim up bar pool in the afternoons considering the lack of bathroom facilities at the pool bar. Some activity choices are limited or not available until the Caribe next door opens back up. Non-motorized water sports like canoes and sailing are available by walking down to the beach in front of the Caribe, but if you want to play tennis you'll need to go the 2km to the Riu Cancun for now. The spa does have a good whirlpool and sauna. The gym is a little small, but the equipment is new and modern. They also have some kind of art classes available but we did not experience it, nor did we use any of the Spa services that were available.

Dinner reservations were easy to make, but not always available. When we arrived at 2:PM Sunday afternoon, the first open spot for dinner was on Tuesday evening. There after I just stopped by the reservation desk whenever I thought about it and made a reservation for two days out with no problems. Food was good to excellent. At the Mexican restaurant, "Tamales" I ordered what was described as, "Street styled suckling pig cooked in banana skin......" I was surprised when it came out and was simply pulled pork sandwich meat without the bar-b-q sauce and the kaiser roll. It tasted good despite the fancy description. Food labels at the buffet were as good as any of the other A.I. we have stayed at. The main buffet had a different theme each night, and usually some form of live music. The choices at the buffet seemed endless, with the main entree usually prepared at a cooking station to your specifications for all meals. Fish dishes were always fresh and easy to enjoy eating just steps away from the ocean. Service by the wait staff at the buffet was excellent, and in many ways superior to that of some of the specialty restaurants. We ate a meal at all five of the speciality restaurants and are unable to say if one was better than another. Only the steak house offered the same ocean front tables as the buffet during breakfast and lunch. Long pants for men are only required at the Krystal, but shirts with sleeves are required at all dining options for dinner including the buffet.

After dinner nightly entertainment begins in the theater area around 8:30 with a kid's show. Following that there is 20-30 minutes of live music by the house band at the outdoor stage across the plaza from the theater until the nightly show began at 9:45. Have to say we enjoyed the nightly shows very much. Only the Michael Jackson and the Las Vegas shows were rehashes of the same old lip synching recorded music we have seen before. The other shows had at least some live singing, one had a live orchrestra throughout the performance. All were a step (or three) above what is usually available at all inclusive resorts. Following the show, the house band would play for another 30-45 minutes with people dancing. By 11:30, the resort was pretty quiet even though the bars were still open. The coffee bar stayed open until midnight. Beside hot and cold coffee drinks and milk shakes, they also had a varied selection of sweets available. However, unless you wake up after the 10AM opening of the coffee bar, you will have to get your coffee, expresso or cappuccino at the buffet or sports bar. The sports bar, besides surprisingly good coffee, also provides some food around the clock for those with late night munchie attacks. Electronic games, pool, fooseball and the like cost extra in the sports bar, as does the use of their computers for internet access. I believe WiFi access is available once a day in the lobby area at no additional charge for an hour and a half. More internet connection time is available for a fee.

The lobby decor IS different. Modern and purple. Not really to our liking but then we didn't go to Cancun for the view inside of the lobby. The seating around the lobby bar and coffee bar have a 2 story high glass wall facing the pools and the ocean beyond which was very much to our liking and the view here is a big part of why we came to Cancun. We did not experience any long waits the few times we went up to the front desk in the lobby as others have reported. There is also an ATM machine just off the lobby by the elevators for the East wing that pays out withdrawals in Mexican Pesos which is a nice touch rarely found in other resorts. Lots of other seating throughout the lobby if that is where you want to hang out.

I usually prefer to hangout in the outside porch areas where I can enjoy a good cigar after dinner. The only place to do this at the Peninsula is on the two uncomfortable benches located outside of the sports bar in between the theater and the lobby. This is also the location that all the cigarette smokers are at if it is raining. It is also the most dangerous location in the resort due to the slick tile here. Four times I witness people slip and fall on their backside as they were walking up the ramp from the pool area and stepped on the polished tile that is laid in this area. We talked to others who had also fallen, and witnessed several people slip but who did not fall. The problem is that this tile is often wet from either rain showers or from people who have dripped coming up from the pools. The tile is the same color and size as the rougher tile on the ramp and other uncovered walkways, but since this smoothed tile is in the first shaded area it is very hard to tell. The maids put up the usual yellow folding caution signs you see them use in the bathrooms, but that hardly lets guest know how slick it is. Had I been one of the unlucky to fall, this review would be given rating of 3 instead of the 5 it has. Falling on my butt in front of a bunch of strangers having a smoke is not my idea of fun. Anyone who plans on being here needs to heed this warning about the dangers of falling and getting hurt.

Honestly, my biggest complaint I had during our stay was how terrible the keyboard player in the house band sounded. I couldn't stomach the noise he made, but it is such a minor thing compared to everything else that is offered. We thoroughly enjoy our week there and can only hope for as pleasant of a stay during our next trip South of the border.

We can easily recommend this resort if you can live with the purple decor in the lobby. If you can have a little patience with the drink waiters front desk people until they are trained up. If you don't mind seeing the occassional worker working on something and realize some things might not be working yet (but are quickly fixed when you notify the desk). Keep in mind that the tile can be very slick, and not be surprised by having no privacy at the bathroom tub or sink. You will love the view from your balcony. The food and drinks are very good and just keep coming. Entertainment is better than most other resorts. The pools and swimming beach are a pleasure to experience. Above all, you will find that the Riu staff sincerely desires that you have a worry free, pleasurable stay.

Room Tip: I don't see the value in the VIP Villas option. Best rooms are on the West wing to catch the af...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula? Share your experiences!