“Nice place, but one bad breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel el Rey Del Caribe

Hotel el Rey Del Caribe
Av. Uxmal 24 SM 2-A MZ 3 L 18 | SM 2-A MZ 3 L 18 Cancun Q. Roo, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Ranked #31 of 175 hotels in Cancun
Oslo, Norway
“Nice place, but one bad breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Nice hotel, an oasis in the city it is. Good-sized and clean room, green backyard and a fine pool-area. Most of the staff was friendly and service-oriented, but out of our two breakfasts at the hotel, one was an example of really bad service. We sat there for a looong tome before anyone took our order, and after an even longer time it turned out they had forgot all about it, and it took ages for us to get any breakfast at all. And the food, which finally arrived, was not nice, and not nearly enough for a decent meal.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
reycaribe, Gerente at Hotel el Rey Del Caribe, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at the Eco-Hotel, we have worked to improve the restaurant, quality and service have improved considerably thanks to their opinions.
We look forward
manager
Eduardo Rodriguez Hernandez

330 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Belize City, Belize
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Maybe it was the fact that I spent the previous 12 hours bussing through Central America, but to me El Rey de Caribe felt more like a sanctuary than a hotel. As the sun peaked above the Cancun Skyline, a Mexican receptionist opened the front gate and greeted me warmly in English, asking if I had a reservation. I did for the following evening, but I worried that I would have to wait around until check-in.
“You’re in luck,” the receptionist said. No one had stayed in my room the night before so he let me check-in at 6 a.m. instead of waiting until 2 that afternoon. He then insisted on carrying my bags up the two flights of stairs and showed me to my room. Despite my exhaustion, my eyes widened as the man led me through the beautifully landscaped central lobby. The elaborate tropical foliage and wooden architecture were effortlessly integrated creating a natural elegance.
The receptionist showed me my room, No. 31, marked with Mayan numerical symbols, referencing the nearby ancient ruins. He then turned on my air conditioning with the room key to conserve hotel energy and handed me the television remote.
The room cooled quickly, and I took a second to take in the natural elegance of the room, which was simply decorated and featured a bed and a small wooden table with two chairs. Skylights illuminated the spacious bathroom which featured a spacious stone shower.
After catching up on some much-needed sleep, another receptionist let me know where I could find some decent to-go food. She directed me to a Mexican restaurant across the street, but I found several places in walking distance to the hotel on my own. The street, Uxmal was well trafficked, and I felt comfortable walking around alone to find the perfect place to order “para llevar”.
My only complaint during my stay was the slow Internet access, although that seemed to be typical of the area in general. The location was excellent, 25 minutes from the airport and a few blocks from the Cancun bus station. Every staff-member was friendly and I had no trouble communicating, though I did speak mostly in Spanish.
As the only “eco-hotel” in Cancun, Mexico, I was pleasantly surprised by the price: only $65.00 USD for a Queen-sized bed. The hotel also included a cheap $30.00 ride to the airport. If you’re looking for a nice stay away from the status-quo tourist traps, I highly recommend El Rey del Caribe. ¡Qué viaje!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
reycaribe, Gerente at Hotel el Rey Del Caribe, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
First of all we would like to thank you for your recent visit to Eco Hotel El Rey del Caribe and for sharing your experience with us.
We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us and to know you were a satisfied guest, because this is very important for us. We hope that in the near future we can welcome you back to Eco hotel El Rey del Caribe Cancun.
Eduardo Rodríguez Hernández
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Stayed here three of my nights during a week-long dental visit, and could not have picked a more relaxing value hacienda in the city to unwind after half a day in the tooth chair. Lots of advantages: Near downtown (about a 5 minute walk from the main bus station), a big grocery chain store a block away, plenty of nearby shops and services ranging from food to express shipping, but far enough from the main drag to keep things fairly quiet. I got a huge king bed room with spacious walk-in shower (head pressure a little low and sporadic, but usable) on the third floor - all rustic wooden steps, no elevator - that included a generous frig, 2-burner hot plate, kitchen sink for rinsing utensils, small table with chairs. Ceiling fan was welcome, AC very good (room key required) but not always needed since this abode is well-shaded and ventilated. Bed was firm and comfortable, lots of nice eco-touches throughout (toilet worked great) and still very Mexican - tiled floors, big windows, high ceilings, lush courtyard landscaping outside with big trees, and supremely quiet. Breakfast nook outside was shoes-off informal, tasty fruit and more with table service, and fun. Staff from start to finish was exactly what you want, there to service but never ever annoy. 24-hour front desk was helpful, got me to the baseball game via a $2 in-town taxi - big note that taxis in the Hotel Zone (beach area) are about 5 times higher to use than in town, so generally take the bus instead, which is cheap and frequent almost everywhere. An airport taxi one-way to/from this hotel is about $25 USD minimum - or half that if you take the ADO bus line, just a few blocks away. Got a nice afternoon back massage next to the small pool for about $30 USD, she beat me like a Texas flank steak - and I loved it. Bus access to the beach zone via local R-1 or R-2 lines was easy, about a 10-15 minute scenic ride to the surf, for about 70 pesos or so (under a dollar - they take $1 US bills on the bus; if you get any change with your receipt it will be in Mexican cents). I did have to pay for bottled waters, as the only minus - those are usually included in other hotels in Cancun; you can pick some up cheap at the nearby grocers, or they sell them in the entrance lobby for quick drinkage - and you will need to stay hydrated in Cancun, can be very very humid as so close to ocean. This fine little hotel is good for singles, couples, and families, all were there and all seemed pleased with their stay. Will definitely use again, for any Cancun travel. Ole!

Room Tip: Hotels in Mexico do not all have flat floors, or easy wheelchair access - keep that in mind when boo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
reycaribe, Gerente at Hotel el Rey Del Caribe, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thanks for your comments on our hotel. We appreciate if you recommend our hotel to your friends. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay.

burlington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

I stayed at this hotel only one night prior to my flight out of Cancun. I had thought I had a reservation at another el caribe a couple of blocks away, however, it was mistakenly for this hotel. An employee came over to the hotel I had arrived at to take me to this el caribe walking very fast with my cases,way out in front of me. I was unwell and begged him several times to slow down and he would not. At the hotel I told the desk staff that I felt unwell, had for a couple of days, and did not want to have to go up and down stairs as it was very hot and she did give me a room on the ground floor. In the room I was shown an air conditioner, and I asked the staff to turn it on. Turns out and I found out from another guest next morning that simply using the remote did nothing, that the staff person who showed me the unit should have turned a key in a unit on the wall. I had no air all night, hardly slept, and had trouble breathing as I had contracted a bad chest infection. I had asked for a wake up call for 7.30 a.m. however, someone pounded on my door at 5.30 a.m. When I questioned the desk later she said it had been a mistake, they had mixed my room up with the one next door. When I asked the staff on desk to call me a cab to take me to the bus station ( (I had the day before purchased a ticket from the bus terminal to the airport) she refused because the hotel had their own shuttle going to the airport. I was angry and went through my litany of complaints since first arriving, saying that I was disgusted with the attitude and service of several staff. At this time the manager, having overheard me came out of his office, heard everything I had to say and was ever so kind. I think he believed and understood that I felt unwell and just wanted to make my flight and get home to Canada. He was very kind and offered to take me to the airport himself, which he did. He certainly went out of his way to assist me and I was very very grateful. After I arrived home within two days I saw a doctor and was put on a ten day course of antibiotics and two puffers, one of which was cortisone. The only reason I rated this hotel average was because the manager was wonderful, were it not for him I would have rated it as low as possible. Those staff need training and an attitude transplant.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
So sorry that you were so ill during your stay at our hotel. We are happy to hear you have recovered. It helps to seek medical help from the local doctors when ill as soon as possible, as they understand and can treat your illness quicker.
Thank you for your comments that explain your situation in the hotel. They helps us make the guests feel more welcome.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

The perfect layover spot for us. We have stayed 5 times. Close to bus station which makes the rest of our journey easy. Love the breakfast pavilion, the trees and pool and everything else. Maybe we'll actually stay around for 2 or 3 days the next time before continuing on to Merida.

• Stayed January 2012
Thank you for your comments on our hotel. For the next time, try to arrive between May or June until September to view whale shark or the sea turtles which lay their eggs in the sand on the beach and later the baby turtles return to the sea.
Merida, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

For 58 dollars for two we had a huge room with kitchenet, flat screen tv, air con, breakfast in their little pachamama cafe asian style with wooden floors (take your shoes off) and they will arrange transportation to the airport for 280 pesos for two. This is just 30 pesos from what is usual if you a hire a taxi from the bus station, very convenient. For a one night stay before flying out of cancun the place is perfect.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
For your next trip you can make arrangements with us on our web site to go to the hotel: 1 to 3 passengers US $35, 4 to 5 passengers US $39 and 6 to 8 passengers US $49.

We appreciate that you took the time to give us your valuable feedback.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

beautiful grounds, quiet, comfy rooms, excellent fresh breakfast, all for a reasonable price...I would recommend this place without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
reycaribe, Gerente at Hotel el Rey Del Caribe, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
It is a pleasure to share the Mexican hospitality, next time try our massages they are very good and cheap too. We are happy to know that you enjoy your stay , we enjoy your visit too.See you soon.
Manager

Been to Hotel el Rey Del Caribe? Share your experiences!